Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, it's gorgeous. And check out this Mille-powered concept version they never built, the Aprilia X-Ray:

:fap:

e: hmm. That's meant more for the bike than for Philippe Starck. Suppose both are okay though

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, it's gorgeous. And check out this concept version they never built, the Aprilia X-Ray:

:fap:

e: hmm. That's meant more for the bike than for Philippe Starck. Suppose both are okay though

Looks like an italian buell :smugdog:

edit: the bike not the man

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A lot of those bikes are nice to look at, but when I think of what I want cluttering up my Craigslist, "utterly obscure Eurobikes with unobtainable parts" doesn't jump to mind

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You know if they sold more than a dozen of them stateside there would be a massive online community where you'd be able to buy every nut and bolt from one or two completely obsessed people.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

That's a super lovely looking example, but anyway the SRX 600 was sold in the US, but it did so badly that they exported them to Europe; mine had mph gauges.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot of those bikes are nice to look at, but when I think of what I want cluttering up my Craigslist, "utterly obscure Eurobikes with unobtainable parts" doesn't jump to mind

If the craigslist were "cluttered up" with them, that would imply there were a lot of them out there, and thus lots of spares, right? Bugdrvr understood what I was going for here. I wish that they'd sold those weird European bikes stateside in the first place, so that there would be half a dozen old ex-courier XBR500s available every week. Right now the lists are cluttered up with miles upon miles of bagger harleys and crashed 600 supersports, which isn't any better.

High Protein posted:

That's a super lovely looking example, but anyway the SRX 600 was sold in the US, but it did so badly that they exported them to Europe; mine had mph gauges.

What's lovely about it? It looks like all the dude's added is the case and the mirrors, and I really like the red frame and black bodywork. Apparently they sold them in the USA for less than one year.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 25, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

If the craigslist were "cluttered up" with them, that would imply there were a lot of them out there, and thus lots of spares, right? Bugdrvr understood what I was going for here. I wish that they'd sold those weird European bikes stateside in the first place, so that there would be half a dozen old ex-courier XBR500s available every week. Right now the lists are cluttered up with miles upon miles of bagger harleys and crashed 600 supersports, which isn't any better.

What's lovely about it? It looks like all the dude's added is the case and the mirrors, and I really like the red frame and black bodywork. Apparently they sold them in the USA for less than one year.

To be honest I really don't like the red frame and other accents, not to mention to door stop looking frame sliders. Mirrors are stock, though some had black plastic ones.

It is one of the extra-rare later models though, with more 90s-looking wheels (also 17" instead of 18"), and slimmer passenger footrests. I do think the original wheels suited the bike better though. They're fun bikes but obviously not great on the highway, also kind of cramped to work on and there's some reliability issues.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I know you are all sick of hearing about my sv with the chain and phantom wobble. That said, mystery solved. The shop contacted me and let me know the bearings were shot in the rear and they had completely eaten the spacers. They couldn't figure out how the wheel hadn't locked yet and sent me into a firy fate other than that the wheel was really tightened on and everything kind of held together. So I'm very fortunate that the chain snapped and put it in the shop when it did. I was a moron for not taking your advice and putting it in the shop for inspection right away.

I was already beside myself in anticipation of getting the bike back this weekend and it kills me to wait until next week. At least it won't cost me that much more and the bike will be safe now.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

bagger harleys

Wait....there's another kind? Every "biker" bar I go by has 6 identical (color swapped) Street Glides in front of it. Don't get me wrong I think they're great looking bikes but why would you spend $20k on the same thing everyone else has unless it's a Toyota Camry?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure the moto morini and the srx came to the us

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Gweenz posted:

Wait....there's another kind? Every "biker" bar I go by has 6 identical (color swapped) Street Glides in front of it. Don't get me wrong I think they're great looking bikes but why would you spend $20k on the same thing everyone else has unless it's a Toyota Camry?

They're not accessorized differently with different Harley doo-dads? That's the point of them—spending thousands of dollars on whatever farkles are called in Harley lingo. Yes, I know some people ride the poo poo out of their H-Ds all over the country, but a lot of the other people fit the stereotype.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gweenz posted:

Oh, sure. There's a couple of Harleys I'd definitely keep in my hypothetical stable somewhere down the line.

XR1200

Ironhead Sportster

early FXR

You're completely right that everyone seems to buy the same thing as everyone else, though. Or another stamped-out standardized "custom."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Tonight I noticed signs on surface streets around downtown St Louis reading, "NO CRUISING, NOISE ORDINANCE ENFORCED, NO MOTORCYCLES."

I've never seen the signs in the past, but I've sure seen stretched 'busas doing rolling burnouts through rows of red lights in the same part of town.

That plus the mass bike impoundings and the growing public motorcycle hatred around the "Ride of the Century," deal, the idiots are turning this town against bikes really fast.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
There's a rumor the new Z1000 drivetrain is just straight out of the ZX-10R, to compete better with the Tuono / Superduke etc. There's also a photo floating around with an unbelievably ugly headlight. We'll see which if either is real, I guess.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KARMA! posted:

Great, now my bike won't even run properly, cutting out intermittently and dumping a buttload of gas in my exhaust. I hope using a car and some jump cables hosed up my ecu in any way. :( Oh well, going to ring up a mechanic tuesday and see what he says.

I'm back baby! No second hand housing, but a secondhand sensor from a 650 did the trick. With my wallet about 310€ lighter.

Jesus the bandit has a heavy front end! The intruder I borrowed was paradoxically a lot lighter to steer.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

:stare:
Maybe he's just pointing to his eyes

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
As white Americans it is our job to decide what the Japanese find offensive.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

n8r posted:

Or if you go by the usual practices, change that to "As white Americans it is our job to decide what everyone, everywhere finds offensive."

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well he is Spanish, by American standards that's not white

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hahahahahahaha, that's great.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

There were plenty of Asian people saying it was stupid so I'll let them speak for me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

nsaP posted:

There were plenty of Asian people saying it was stupid so I'll let them speak for me.

Your anime pillow doesn't count.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like point #3 here.

http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-things-ive-learned-10-motorcycle-crashes/

I always thought padded knuckles looked pretty badass and figured the added protection was an excellent excuse. But when I went to a shop to test gloves, the guy said padded knuckles was just cosmetic and palm sliders was where it was at, due to the instinct of trying to catch your fall with your palm. My next pair will have palm sliders no doubt. Good example of a designing a thing, seeing how it works in real life, then changing to adapt to reality.

Fair warning before you click, and certainly before you read page 2. As much as the guy deserves a tip of the hat for his injuries, his hero syndrome is quite painful to behold.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Your anime pillow doesn't count.

Wikked sikk burn brah

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

I like point #3 here.

http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-things-ive-learned-10-motorcycle-crashes/

I always thought padded knuckles looked pretty badass and figured the added protection was an excellent excuse. But when I went to a shop to test gloves, the guy said padded knuckles was just cosmetic and palm sliders was where it was at, due to the instinct of trying to catch your fall with your palm. My next pair will have palm sliders no doubt. Good example of a designing a thing, seeing how it works in real life, then changing to adapt to reality.

Fair warning before you click, and certainly before you read page 2. As much as the guy deserves a tip of the hat for his injuries, his hero syndrome is quite painful to behold.

I always thought padded knuckles was more for protection against poo poo getting thrown up into your hands while you're riding (and for looking badass and punching poo poo) rather than crash protection. Decent gloves have always had double or even triple leather on the heel and outside of your hand because that's what always hits the floor.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Padded knuckles are still important. Gloves are usually made of relatively thin material when compared with jackets and pants. If you end up sliding on them it's entirely conceivable that they could fail or there could be heat that burns through the glove. Knuckle sliders/padding help prevent this by providing extra protection in the primary impact and abrasion point for the BACK of the hand.

Unfortunately sticking a big ol chunk of fake carbon fiber into the palm of a glove makes it impossible to use on a bike. This is doubly unfortunate because the palm side of the hand is much more likely to get hit during a crash. The sliders they're putting on gloves now do a decent job of protecting the palm and preventing the glove from "grabbing" leading to scaphoid injuries.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(and for looking badass and punching poo poo)

When I was in high school, I let one of my friends put on my helmet and another punch him while wearing my knuckle armored gloves. Both of them regretted it and I've always doubted knuckle armor since then.

I thought the best gloves were the ones that had a nice, thick pad of leather in the palm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My cold gloves have pucks in the palm and I feel vulnerable every time I wear one of my other pairs, but then I slowly forget my mortality and it's okay.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Surprisingly, it is difficult to convince a spouse that a KTM 990 SMT is something that is necessary in our lives. Time to funnel my raise into a private account... It was a tough year love; with the economy the way it was there just wasn't any money in the business for wage increases...

Water pumps be damned, I am painfully in love with that loving KTM.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Terminus Est posted:

Surprisingly, it is difficult to convince a spouse that a KTM 990 SMT is something that is necessary in our lives. Time to funnel my raise into a private account... It was a tough year love; with the economy the way it was there just wasn't any money in the business for wage increases...

Water pumps be damned, I am painfully in love with that loving KTM.

"Where I buy this KTM? Nonono, honey. You're mistaken! I find by side of road!"

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I saw people posting about the BMW R nineT in the bike picture thread. For those that don't know, BMW recently released this:

That's a really pretty bike. Then there's the website for said bike along with the bullshit marketing. And you could take the entire thing wholesale and post it to the Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos tumblr.
I realize this kind of marketing is probably totally right for the intended demographic, but look at this. The only thing missing is an R nineT clothing line.

Burn rubber, not your soul. Yeah.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

My cold gloves have pucks in the palm and I feel vulnerable every time I wear one of my other pairs, but then I slowly forget my mortality and it's okay.

I wonder how much research actually goes into these things? My own experience (of falling off pushbikes as a kid and falling over drunk a lot as an adult) is that the palm rarely takes any damage at all but the heel of the hand *always* does and the outside edge does most of the time.

I suppose the dynamics of a bike crash are rather different because of the speed involved but I don't think I've ever seen bike gloves with hard protection on the palm, that seems a bit weird (and surely makes holding the controls a rather hard?) - it's always on the heel.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder how much research actually goes into these things? My own experience (of falling off pushbikes as a kid and falling over drunk a lot as an adult) is that the palm rarely takes any damage at all but the heel of the hand *always* does and the outside edge does most of the time.

I suppose the dynamics of a bike crash are rather different because of the speed involved but I don't think I've ever seen bike gloves with hard protection on the palm, that seems a bit weird (and surely makes holding the controls a rather hard?) - it's always on the heel.

Pretty sure nsaP means that's where the sliders actually are.

They work with the pinky slider(s) so if you're sliding on your back or side and just throw your arms out (which is what most people who suddenly find themselves bikeless at high speed seem to do) the sliders will make contact with the ground before the leather bits.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do I seem like an ortho surgeon or something? They're hard pucks in the same place as all the other hard pucked gloves...palm heel whatever.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I found a matching leather jacket/pants in apparently unworn condition at the recycle shop I was at today.

Naturally it was two sizes too small :suicide:

(Actually I have a jacket already, should really go ahead and get leather pants for winter though).

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I found a matching leather jacket/pants in apparently unworn condition at the recycle shop I was at today.

Naturally it was two sizes too small :suicide:

(Actually I have a jacket already, should really go ahead and get leather pants for winter though).

Is that the same thing as a thrift store? Buy them, resell them and buy pants that fit. Making money off thrifting is always fun.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

parrhesia posted:

That's a really pretty bike. Then there's the website for said bike along with the bullshit marketing. And you could take the entire thing wholesale and post it to the Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos tumblr.
I realize this kind of marketing is probably totally right for the intended demographic, but look at this. The only thing missing is an R nineT clothing line.

That IS a really pretty bike, and I totally want one, despite the marketing and the fact that I don't have a white goatee and Transitions lenses.

But I think I'll be happier with an FZ-09.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

That IS a really pretty bike, and I totally want one, despite the marketing and the fact that I don't have a white goatee and Transitions lenses.

But I think I'll be happier with an FZ-09.

Stick the cylinders up instead of out and it looks like a Honda hornet. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

Do I seem like an ortho surgeon or something?
You... you aren't?