Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What's the best screen recording software for mac games? I need to record a gitch for a game developer. I have a snapz pro x license from a while back so I could just use that, but I was wondering if there was anything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
iShowU HD is pretty good. Low system footprint and you can use the Soundflower kexts to record your system audio directly into the video file. Unless you need the Pro features like watermarking or whatever, it's only thirty bucks.

I'm doing bulk image editing today and I was wondering if there's a way to tell OSX to open all image files in Photoshop, but only while Photoshop is open. Like, once I'm done here, I want it to just go back to opening in Preview. Do I have to change the open all extensions options manually every time or is there a shortcut?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

wdarkk posted:

What's the best screen recording software for mac games? I need to record a gitch for a game developer. I have a snapz pro x license from a while back so I could just use that, but I was wondering if there was anything better.

quicktime does screen recording bro

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know why, after completing large downloads in Safari, the download status bar doesn't go away? The only way I've found to get rid of it is to restart the computer.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone know why, after completing large downloads in Safari, the download status bar doesn't go away? The only way I've found to get rid of it is to restart the computer.

Force-killing Finder or Dock will prolly work too.

Dunno why it happens though.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah I've had a similar thing happen with my Applications folder after updating an app from the app store. Goes away when I force kill the Dock.

VVVV
Weird. Might be a different problem, then.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 1, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pivo posted:

Force-killing Finder or Dock will prolly work too.

Dunno why it happens though.

Weirdly enough, force-killing didn't work for me. If I drag it out of the dock and then back in, it also fixes it. Very irritating.

edit:

dik-dik posted:

Yeah I've had a similar thing happen with my Applications folder after updating an app from the app store. Goes away when I force kill the Dock.

Huh..I'll try force-killing again next time it pops up. It's been an ongoing problem and I've mostly ignored it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up for tomorrow.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh hey, Reeder 2 is out on the App Store now.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'm putting Windows on a MacBook as the primary OS, only leaving OSX on in order to install firmware/bootcamp updates when they come. I've done this before, works well enough, but this time I'd like to really shrink it down to the minimum space required before partitioning to save SSD space.

My searching has found the following tips: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/48919/reducing-lion-os-footprint-by-removing-unnecessary-files-folders, but if anyone knows of a tool to help, or anything more comprehensive, I'd appreciate it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Seems like you could install OS X on an external drive and go all the way. Even an 8GB thumb drive would do, if you don't care about it taking a long time to boot.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
That's a great idea, thanks.

edit: Used a 16GB SD card, worked well.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 2, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BobHoward posted:

You are saying this in the month of May of tyool 2014, when Heartbleed should be a thing that is near to the top of your mind.

Access to source is a tool for evaluating the quality of a crypto system. But It isn't the only tool, nor is it anything like a guarantee that you will know about problems. Many of the worst open sores security fiascoes weren't even discovered by source inspection.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and if nothing else, Heartbleed made this a clear issue. But open source and good auditing gives us some degree of security in the thought that there's nothing actively malicious or objectionable going on.

fordan posted:

I haven't heard of any legal process that'd force a developer to add code to software, especially an open-source one.

Who knows? This thinking requires that you give the benefit of the doubt to the NSA, that seems fully unwise given the lengths they're willing to go to.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My media control keys (previous, play/pause, forward) on my Apple Keyboard suddenly don't work any longer with iTunes or Quicktime. Volume, brightness, etc are all fine, and moreover, the media keys work fine with VLC, just not iTunes or Quicktime. Anyone have any theories what the hell might be going on? I've tried rebooting - no luck.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there a way to link to a section / paragraph in Pages within a document? I'm writing a manual and would like to have [see "Blah blah blah" for more information] with a clickable link to scroll you there.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Lexicon posted:

My media control keys (previous, play/pause, forward) on my Apple Keyboard suddenly don't work any longer with iTunes or Quicktime. Volume, brightness, etc are all fine, and moreover, the media keys work fine with VLC, just not iTunes or Quicktime. Anyone have any theories what the hell might be going on? I've tried rebooting - no luck.

No idea what's causing that, but if you want a potential fix, look into key remap 4 mac.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have an iMac and a Windows Home Server. I'd like to copy my iPhoto library to the server, which runs NTFS. I don't need the library to be usable, just stored in case I want to retrieve things from it, in which case I'd copy it back. Is it as simple as just dragging it over?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Lexicon posted:

Try looking for a way to disable them in VLC? Apps have to basically hijack them to use them, so something might've gone horribly wrong that VLC could then disable.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anjow posted:

I have an iMac and a Windows Home Server. I'd like to copy my iPhoto library to the server, which runs NTFS. I don't need the library to be usable, just stored in case I want to retrieve things from it, in which case I'd copy it back. Is it as simple as just dragging it over?

Yes.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Having trouble getting a 360 controller to work with my rMBP.

I downloaded a controller driver which shows up under System Prefences and the controller registers and works fine in the configuration tool.

No games seem to recognize that it exists though. What am I doing wrong?

Edit : updated to a newer unofficial version, same issue. Controller works perfectly in configuration tool, neither game I tested works (Gucamelee and Super Meat Boy)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 2, 2014

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After watching the WWDC I'm thinking about switching to Safari. Is there any way to run greasemonkey scripts on it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I honestly have no idea if Greasekit/Ninjakit still work with the latest builds of Safari or not. I haven't needed to use them in so long I've forgotten.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Ninjakit still works, though the interface is an abomination. Even in the half an hour I had 10.10 installed it was still doing it's job just fine.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

gmq posted:

After watching the WWDC I'm thinking about switching to Safari. Is there any way to run greasemonkey scripts on it?

What convinced you? (I haven't watched WWDC yet). What browser are you using currently?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

For my fellow developers who are trying to make a bootable USB installer of the new Dev Preview (and are having issues getting it working with the createinstallmedia command) some dude on the Apple Dev forums has been able to make a stick using the old manual creation method that we used when Mavericks DPs were first released:

quote:

I was able to construct a Yosemite boot stick as follows. This is reminicent of how the early Mavericks builds worked before createinstallmedia.

1. Mount the InstallESD.dmg image that's under the installer / Contents / SharedSupport.

2. You'll only see a "Packages" folder. From Terminal, enter

open "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg"

3. Using Disk Utility, Restore the "OS X Base System" volume to your USB stick.

4. On the USB stick, in the folder System/Installation, delete the symlink named "Packages"

5. Copy the "Packages" folder from "OS X Install ESD" to the System/Installation folder on your USB stick.

6. Finally, copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist (both hidden) from OS X Install ESD to your USB stick; I used "rsync -avP BaseSystem.* /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System 1", because I still had the old dmg mounted from step 2.

7. Unmount the stick, boot away.

To make the path easier in step 6, you might want to rename the stick after its restored in step 3.

Seems to work okay.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

Oh hey, Reeder 2 is out on the App Store now.

This kind of floated by, but, Reeder 2 is really great. Definitely worth the $10.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

This kind of floated by, but, Reeder 2 is really great. Definitely worth the $10.

Sorry if there's a derail or if there's a better thread actually geared towards this question, but what blogs are you folks even reading on reeder? Never found enough worthwhile blogs for it to be worth the trouble.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I put in blogs that don't update very frequently. Although if you use twitter, it's not as useful since I can usually just follow them on twitter instead.

If you put in stuff that updates multiple times per day, it will quickly get out of control.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Are PDFs previewed from safari cached anywhere? I need a PDF that I don't have saved locally that I for sure opened in safari.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have a Debian machine and I share the mouse and keyboard with a Mac Mini using Synergy.

I want to lock the Mac Mini when I lock the Debian box, and unlock the Mac Mini when I unlock the Debian box. I'm guessing I'll need some client software running as root on the Mini, and figure out how to run a script on lock/unlock on Debian (gdm3). Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to waste too much time on this.

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!
I am using Unison and I am trying to create a rule to download completed uploads from Usenet. I am concerned it's going to misfire, and download the file before it is completely uploaded. I have attached the criteria for the rule to meet, but can someone expound on how to discern a completed upload from the listed criteria? Can someone tell me what the "Score" property means also?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Any recommendation on simple folder-based photo managers that work well with Dropbox? I don't really edit photos so don't need many features.

The Dropbox app can sync iPhoto events, but it doesn't seem to update any changes.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 4, 2014

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Pivo posted:

I have a Debian machine and I share the mouse and keyboard with a Mac Mini using Synergy.

I want to lock the Mac Mini when I lock the Debian box, and unlock the Mac Mini when I unlock the Debian box. I'm guessing I'll need some client software running as root on the Mini, and figure out how to run a script on lock/unlock on Debian (gdm3). Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to waste too much time on this.

I haven't found a way to unlock OSX even with a process running as root.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pivo posted:

Locking isn't too hard, you can just have your Debian box fire off a script that SSHes to the mini and runs "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"

I'm not sure about unlocking though and don't have a second computer handy to test with. The only flag other than -suspend that I could find for CGSession is -switchToUserID <value> but I'm not sure if you can just feed it the current user's ID to force an unlock.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In Boot Camp, is there a way to transfer a file directly from OSX to Windows, without any filesystem fuckery?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

PRADA SLUT posted:

In Boot Camp, is there a way to transfer a file directly from OSX to Windows, without any filesystem fuckery?
Boot Camp installs a HFS+ read driver (or it used to anyway). Can't you just open your Macintosh HD from windows explorer and copy the files?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What do you mean by "filesystem fuckery"? If you want to write directly to a Windows NTFS partition from OS X, you can enable the hidden (and not officially supported) functionality, or use a 3rd party application. Otherwise, you can create a partition using a file format that both OS X and Windows supports natively (FAT32 or exFAT).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I want to write to NTFS, since I'm not running Windows on FAT.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lawen posted:

Locking isn't too hard, you can just have your Debian box fire off a script that SSHes to the mini and runs "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"

I'm not sure about unlocking though and don't have a second computer handy to test with. The only flag other than -suspend that I could find for CGSession is -switchToUserID <value> but I'm not sure if you can just feed it the current user's ID to force an unlock.

Har har, looks like this might work

code:
#!/bin/bash
#go to login window
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -switchToUserID 123

osascript -e 'tell app "System Events"
keystroke "password"
  delay 1.0
  keystroke return
end tell'

exit
I'll try it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Can I disable font colors in iMessage? I don't want to send colored/formatted text and I don't want to see it when other people send it. Just plain unformatted text within the colored bubbles is what I want. I've looked and didn't see a way. Is the fix to switch to Adium?