Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If the brine was room temp when you put it in, I wouldn't throw the chicken out. Assuming the chicken was cold and you put it in the fridge, I'd still cook it.

Well, the chicken had been sitting out of the fridge for about 30 minutes when I added it to the brine, so not room temperature, but not straight from the fridge either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DekeThornton posted:

Well, the chicken had been sitting out of the fridge for about 30 minutes when I added it to the brine, so not room temperature, but not straight from the fridge either.

If it were me, I'd still cook it. But you gotta do what you're comfortable with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DekeThornton posted:

Yeah. I'd probably still cook it too but unless this was a primo, free range super expensive chicken it's not really a huge loss to just chuck it and start over.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Scientastic posted:

As many of you may know, I am British. And I now live in America. This is my first year here, and we've just been invited to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. They know I like to cook, so they've asked me to provide a dish: Either sweet potato casserole or squash casserole.

Now, I've had a look online, and it seems that marshmallows are involved. Which is clearly an abhorrence and an affront to edibility. Does anyone have a good recipe for either of these things?

Well here's what you do for the sweet potato hotdish, sweetie.

You'll want to use Princella brand canned sweet potatoes. Usually 3 or 4 cans will fill a 9 by 13 baking dish, but I don't know how many people you're cooking for don't ya know! Anyway, get your husband to open those darned cans and then, after you've drained the liquid into a bowl (you might need the liquid), put the sweet potatoes into the greased baking dish. Put a cup or two of brown sugar on top (this can be to your personal preference, hun) and also sprinkle on some cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace but not too much or it will end up tasting like fruitcake for goodness sake! Now use a potato masher to mash the spices and sugar together, adding a little of the syrup from the cans if you needs some. Everything should have the consistency of whipped potatoes by the time you have it incorporated. Bake at 350 until it's all hot and bubbling, then pull it out and put it on a the counter (make sure you set the pan on hot pads or else you'll scorch the formica). Cover the top with marshmallows now. And use the big ones, not the little ones because the little ones are way to fiddly and you don't want to be standing around all day doing this when there's other work to be done! Now once it's all covered with marshmallows, put it back in the oven until the marshmallows are browned on top and then serve. You should probably try this once or twice at home before you serve it to other people, though. People expect weird things from foreigners but you really don't want to ruin Thanksgiving don't ya know.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
My family doesn't do the "sweet" sweet potato recipes, we do a more savory style, so it doesn't taste like dessert during dinner. What we do is cube the sweet potatos, then bake them until lightly browned and cooked through. Then fry some bacon and crumble it up, then we mix the bacon, sweet potatoes, and a little of the bacon fat, and fry in the pan for a few minutes (this part usually requires a few batches). To finish them we add parsley and a bit of lemon juice to brighten the flavors.

After having them this way I can't stand the overly sweet style most people have for Thanksgiving.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Scientastic posted:

As many of you may know, I am British. And I now live in America. This is my first year here, and we've just been invited to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. They know I like to cook, so they've asked me to provide a dish: Either sweet potato casserole or squash casserole.

Now, I've had a look online, and it seems that marshmallows are involved. Which is clearly an abhorrence and an affront to edibility. Does anyone have a good recipe for either of these things?

I asked in here last week or so for an alternative and Dino helpfully provided this idea

dino. posted:

@Czar: If you have a decent knife, and don't mind a bit of chopping, I find that dicing them up gives a much nicer texture and flavour compared to making them into a baby food type of thing with all kinds of sugar and candy. :gag:

What you do is just peel and cube up the sweet potato into 1 inch dice. In a skillet, heat up some canola oil (or olive oil if that's your thing). Add in a cinnamon stick, 5 - 7 cloves, a cardamom pod, a TINY bit of fennel seed, and a bay leaf. Bonus points if you throw in a couple of dried chiles as well. Toast the spices in the hot fat, and then add the sweet potatoes. Toss to combine thoroughly. Salt generously. Grind on a bit of allspice and black pepper. Toss to combine. Turn off the stove, and lay everything onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and toss the taters around to redistribute everything. Then, bake for another 10 - 15 minutes.

The edges will get browned. They'll get slightly crispy on the outside, and creamy on the inside. When it's done cooking, just pull out the whole spices and toss them.

Going to do a test run of this on Sunday and then probably scale it up for Turkey day.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I honestly thought you were joking about putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. I was wrong. So making this on the weekend.

God drat I love America.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Well here's what you do for the sweet potato hotdish, sweetie.

Are you feeling well Mrs. Gunderson? This one isn't to Midwestern Minnesoder, it's just..standard. :ohdear:

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Are you feeling well Mrs. Gunderson? This one isn't to Midwestern Minnesoder, it's just..standard. :ohdear:

Well we're nothing special up here let me tell you. Just normal working folks and we don't care too much for the spot light!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about pecans or walnuts, how do you feel about those Mrs. Gunderson?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Can someone post .dino's banana bread recipe? It's my favorite, but I only have my phone and it's saved on my desktop two states away.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I attempted kimchi using this recipe. I had to add some more brine (as per the comments - 1 tbsp to each cup, used filtered water) at the end as there was no liquid to cover the cabbage. I left it at room temperature for a week before transferring it to the fridge for another fortnight but I seem to have managed to pickle it in brine, rather than make it ferment. What did I do wrong? And is it still safe to eat seeing as there's raw garlic in an anaerobic environment?

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Tried to cook falafel a couple times using this recipe (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers). They were alright, but I wasn't quite happy with how well it was cooked in the middle- it was reasonably well done, but I'd ideally like it to be cooked consistently rather than being crispy on the outside and a bit more gooey within. Any tips to make sure it cooks a bit better?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Double fry them? First at a lower temperature than at a higher one? Lie fries. Or maybe bake them in the oven.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

I attempted kimchi using this recipe. I had to add some more brine (as per the comments - 1 tbsp to each cup, used filtered water) at the end as there was no liquid to cover the cabbage. I left it at room temperature for a week before transferring it to the fridge for another fortnight but I seem to have managed to pickle it in brine, rather than make it ferment. What did I do wrong? And is it still safe to eat seeing as there's raw garlic in an anaerobic environment?

I haven't tried my hand at kimchi yet (in part because my local asian market sells SO MANY different types), but regularly make sauer kraut. One week doesn't sound like nearly enough, depending on ambient indoor temps, I usually let my kraut go about five weeks of sitting out before it goes into the fridge. I always taste test it once a week or so, to see if it's done.

DangerousDan posted:

Tried to cook falafel a couple times using this recipe (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers). They were alright, but I wasn't quite happy with how well it was cooked in the middle- it was reasonably well done, but I'd ideally like it to be cooked consistently rather than being crispy on the outside and a bit more gooey within. Any tips to make sure it cooks a bit better?

Um, oil too hot? Batter too wet? You are using an oil thermometer, right?

Another vote for trying baked: easier, less mess, more reasonable fat content, and almost as good as deep fried.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

I don't have an oil thermometer, as I am an impoverished student and novice cook. Might try putting less oil in the batter/baking it. Thanks for the prompt reply and tips.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Yeah, not a regional thing at all: some families make it this way, and some don't. Personally, I grew up in a house where nothing in the main course uses marshmallows or canned soup.

(Another popular Thanksgiving "casserole" is green beans swimming in canned soup and baked with crispy fried onions on top. In my house, we always just had plain steamed green beans with butter and S&P.)

EDIT:
Reading that back, it sounds a little snobby, so I will add that when my mom makes mashed potatoes for turkey day, she adds cream cheese and sour cream AND a whole stick of butter.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 20, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DangerousDan posted:

I don't have an oil thermometer, as I am an impoverished student and novice cook. Might try putting less oil in the batter/baking it. Thanks for the prompt reply and tips.

A instant-read thermometer is only $18, you don't have to splurge out for the fancy $100 Thermoworks if you can't afford it. Thermometers are really awesome and I use mine all the time now for boiling, simmering, baking, cooking all the meats.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

DangerousDan posted:

I agree with the above; if you're going to deep-fry, you absolutely need a thermometer. They are cheap (Target has one for $10 right now) and it will allow you to both produce consistent results and not burn your house down.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GabrielAisling posted:

Can someone post .dino's banana bread recipe? It's my favorite, but I only have my phone and it's saved on my desktop two states away.

3 ripe medium-sized bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
2 cups flour

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Mash the bananas with the vinegar and the water. Add the peanut butter, salt, baking soda, sugar, and nuts. Stir together to combine. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Pour into a greased dish. I have used a small casserole dish with excellent results. You can try using a loaf pan, but this may leave the center a bit underdone.
Let the bread bake for 1 hour in the oven. Let it cool for 15 minutes before removing from the dish.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

dino. posted:

3 ripe medium-sized bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
2 cups flour

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Mash the bananas with the vinegar and the water. Add the peanut butter, salt, baking soda, sugar, and nuts. Stir together to combine. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Pour into a greased dish. I have used a small casserole dish with excellent results. You can try using a loaf pan, but this may leave the center a bit underdone.
Let the bread bake for 1 hour in the oven. Let it cool for 15 minutes before removing from the dish.

Thank you! I'll memorize it eventually, I swear!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I really like the boxed Danish wedding cookies (http://www.keebler.com/product-keebler-danish-wedding-cookies-1095.aspx), and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for them. I imagine home made would be better and cheaper than the store bought ones (and it will help my argument with my brother that everything can be made better at home)

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I need the bombest red velvet cake recipe to ever exist. Moist, flavorful, awesome. Probably gonna do a cream cheese frosting. Any recommendations? Is box better than homemade?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have ground beef and rice. Are there any good recipes you guys recommend that do not contain dairy or peppers? I just made spaghetti rice with red wine and rosemary and it's good for satiating hunger but I'm looking for something a bit... tastier? Granted all I have is basmati rice so it's definitely the source of the oddness.

Also, what do you guys like to use for spice jars? Right now my spices are just in plastic bags since they're bulk Sprouts ones.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I just got 4 of these again, last time my friends and I made a chili and tried to eat pieces of them raw. It was amazing(ly painful), anyone have some recipes for really really hot peppers? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Moruga_Scorpion

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Loco moco. Steamed rice topped with a hamburger patty and a sunny side up egg smothered in gravy. I'm salivating just typing that.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Loco moco. Steamed rice topped with a hamburger patty and a sunny side up egg smothered in gravy. I'm salivating just typing that.

You and me both baby.

That is one of my favorite things ever. When we went to Hawaii I think I had it every day :) I was in heaven....

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Xovaan posted:

Also, what do you guys like to use for spice jars? Right now my spices are just in plastic bags since they're bulk Sprouts ones.

I bought these twist top tins and some neodymium magnets. Superglued the magnets to the tins, printed some round Avery labels for the tops, and stuck them to the refrigerator door. It's great for my tiny studio kitchen since I have almost zero cabinet space and even less counter space.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xovaan posted:

Cost Plus World Market sells $1 spice jars that are pretty good.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

DangerousDan posted:

Use the basic seasoning profile but make it with dried chickpeas. That's the difference between falafel and deep fried hummus.

And really, an oil thermometer is not vital. Just sacrifice a few balls until you have adjusted the flame to brown them to your liking while cooking them through.

If you're just trying to make falafel, soak a bag of chickpeas overnight, then grind it together in a food processor until smooth with a bunch of parsley, some garlic and olive oil. Hit it with some salt and then season to your liking- lemon, coriander, cumin and harissa come to mind.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 21, 2013

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
How does Gordon Ramsay always seem to know if pizza dough has been frozen? I actually would like to understand more about how he can know things like that in general but pizza dough is a good start. Couldn't find anything online.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

5436 posted:

I need the bombest red velvet cake recipe to ever exist. Moist, flavorful, awesome. Probably gonna do a cream cheese frosting. Any recommendations? Is box better than homemade?

Try the smitten kitchen recipe. It is amazing, and not difficult at all. Definitely better than boxed. The corresponding frosting recipe rules too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

New Weave Wendy posted:

Try the smitten kitchen recipe. It is amazing, and not difficult at all. Definitely better than boxed. The corresponding frosting recipe rules too.

Agreed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

baw posted:

How does Gordon Ramsay always seem to know if pizza dough has been frozen? I actually would like to understand more about how he can know things like that in general but pizza dough is a good start. Couldn't find anything online.

1. Get your own TV show and have it written/edited any way you want
2. Make a bunch of pizzas with different recipes and freeze some and eventually you'll be able to recognize it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are you suggesting that Mr. Ramsey, America's favourite chef, just indignantly spews "this is frozen!" at any pizza he finds in front of him, and edits out all the times he is taken to the kitchen and shown a bowl of freshly made dough?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Meh, I'm sure they save his rear end in the editing room as needed, but I do think you can tell the difference... if you have a good nose. Fresh made dough has subtle odors of the yeast at work.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

New Weave Wendy posted:

Thanks, I'll bake it tomorrow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Xovaan posted:

We had a long discussion about this a couple years ago and I think the solution that sounded the best was 4oz or 8oz mason jars. You lose the nice little shaker inserts that spice jars have but the better airtightness will probably stretch the useful life of your spices out a lot farther. Plus, they're cheap and you can find them pretty easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Could I make pumpkin pie using a 9" springform pan instead of using a regular pie pan? I was thinking of just doubling the recipe and filling that badboy up -- but the middle would probably come out uncooked, right?