Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In a movie that is incredibly unsubtle, there was one thing that was pretty sly in Dune 2:

The gladiator fight in Geidi Prime hints at the fact that Harkonnens and Atreides are essentially the same - the helpers use futuristic banderillos to subdue Feyd's opponent, just like bullfighters have helpers to subdue bulls (as Paul's grandfather used to do). Hell, the Harkonnen helpers even have bull-like helmets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
They're the same apart from everything else

Basically identical

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

flavor.flv posted:

The way the water cycle works, every single molecule of water you've ever drank in your life has been pissed out by multiple dinosaurs. And with how many priests have been blessing water for so many centuries, all the water in the lakes, rivers and ocean in the world is holy water, which is why we don't have draculas anymore

What about dragulas though? :ohdear:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Basically identical

And then the plot reveals oh hey the BG connived to make Paul halfHark anyway

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Hannibal Lecter and guy-who-ate-a-hamburger are functionally identical because humans and cattle are both animals.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Basically identical

They're both noble houses that cause poo poo tons of death and destruction for their own ends and don't give a poo poo who pays the price.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I thought my posts were dogshit!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was watching Shogun and there is an homage to the iconic sequence from Requiem for a Dream. You know the one, fast cuts of preparing substance to pupil dilating.

Not subtle, but not something I expected in a prestige Japanese period piece.

deoju has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Apr 30, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

deoju posted:

I was watching Shogun and there is an homage to the iconic sequence from Requiem for a Dream. You know the one, fast cuts of preparing substance to pupil dilating.

Not subtle, but not something I expected in a prestige Japanese period piece.

I gotta admit it was crazy seeing that old guy saying "rear end to rear end!" in Japanese.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

Basically identical

The Atreides are pleasant on a personal level, so they're the good kind of feudal overlord :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Android Apocalypse posted:

I gotta admit it was crazy seeing that old guy saying "rear end to rear end!" in Japanese.

My ex was so affected by Requiem for a Dream that she couldn't enjoy Keith David in anything else after that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It probably didn't help that you kept saying "I know it's pretty, baby, but I didn't take it out for air" every time you unzipped your pants.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
poo poo wrong tgread

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Hannibal Lecter and guy-who-ate-a-hamburger are functionally identical because humans and cattle are both animals.

Paul is not an animal. Like that is very specifically A Thing in Dune.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I did like how the test of the Gom Jabbar was mirrored with what happened to Duke Leto where he willingly sprung the trap of Arrakis in order to eliminate his enemies (and ultimately succeeded.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's no way the Gom Jabbar wasn't the best foreplay of Feyd's life.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah, but the captured soldiers being sent into the gladiator ring were.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I did like how the test of the Gom Jabbar was mirrored with what happened to Duke Leto where he willingly sprung the trap of Arrakis in order to eliminate his enemies (and ultimately succeeded.)

Every time you guys talk about this it seems more and more like a running joke that you’re making up as you go

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

freeedr posted:

Every time you guys talk about this it seems more and more like a running joke that you’re making up as you go

Yeah, I'm getting some serious Mornington Crescent vibes here.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

just wait until you hear about duncan idaho

no, the OTHER duncan idaho

the OTHER other one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

freeedr posted:

That makes it all the more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just wait until you near the end of heretics of dune and read that bit.

His right hand fluttered...