Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wanderer posted:

Somebody on Reddit made the point that there are a lot of windows in the west hall in the RE2 remake that aren't just broken, but look like something punched in from outside. It'd be kinda neat if those ended up being Nemesis's point of entry.
Way too small for the guy. That's actually a persistent scare spot - zombies will lunge at you and try to grab you, but they can't fit through. You can shoot them, but there's no real point.

Cool idea, though. Would be nice if there were things like that which only make sense retroactively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Somebody on Reddit made the point that there are a lot of windows in the west hall in the RE2 remake that aren't just broken, but look like something punched in from outside. It'd be kinda neat if those ended up being Nemesis's point of entry.

The shower rooms were smashed up quite a bit too, and they're close to the STARS office.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ferrous posted:

The shower rooms were smashed up quite a bit too, and they're close to the STARS office.

Now that you mention it, I was really expecting that giant hole in the wall to figure into something later on, and it didn't.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah the entire station has little details that hint at the gruesome stories that took place before the main characters arrived. In the west hallway there is something that appears to be a solid metal frame that probably had a door at some point. It's bent outward and has big clawmarks on both sides.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Details is something this game is really good at. I love how Mr. X always takes exactly three steps at a time.

You know, because he's really tall.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Cardiovorax posted:

Details is something this game is really good at. I love how Mr. X always takes exactly three steps at a time.

You know, because he's really tall.

He clears the ladder in the Library in two steps as well. Just straight up grabs the middle rung, hops up to the ledge, and climbs on up. Very quickly, I might add.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Did you notice how Marvin keeps getting paler every time you see him, too? Really nice touch, that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

Did you notice how Marvin keeps getting paler every time you see him, too? Really nice touch, that.

Marvin is one of the few characters in video games that actually felt like he was dying. The animations, voice acting, pacing of his death; it was just so perfectly done. I legit felt bad every time I had to talk to him because it's rough seeing him die. I really wish there was a way to save him in this version of the game. :smith:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You can also gradually see his left eye start to film over with the zombie color

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Slightly off-topic from the RE2 talk, but I finally got around to Darkwood and drat, the atmosphere in this game is fantastic. Definitely the creepiest thing I've played in recent memory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Would you look at that, a REmake HD pack for PC came out a day after I noticed all these up scaler projects springing up.

I also saw someone on Twitter doing a horrifying texture pack for Morrowind where they run it through the DeepDreams AI.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 5, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

Would you look at that, a REmake HD pack for PC came out a day after I noticed all these up scaler projects springing up.

I also saw someone on Twitter doing a horrifying texture pack for Morrowind where they run it through the DeepDreams AI.

That's some fuckin' nice rear end poo poo. How are they going to handle the scenes that have animations? Do each frame?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

ZearothK posted:

Slightly off-topic from the RE2 talk, but I finally got around to Darkwood and drat, the atmosphere in this game is fantastic. Definitely the creepiest thing I've played in recent memory.

Darkwood is really good

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mindblast posted:

Well yes their hear SOMEthing they just don't know what it is, then they casually wonder about roughly towards it.

It was funny to see multiple people all :byodood: can't pass lickers they always get me! :byodood: because they'd wig out once the lickers would begin to animate or make noises and either sprint or shoot it.
They're clearly proximity activated, because you can creep at the speed of an ant and they'll still start hissing and investigating your direction. Most of the time they're in narrow corridors too. Kind of a waste that they're almost never on walls or ceilings - it's so much more tense when the choice isn't just "attack or go away and come back when it spawns somewhere else" and you can try creeping around them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, al-azad, you said RE2make doesn't have locational damage, can you elaborate on that? I've been experimenting and it seems like kind of does - damage to any location will eventually kill a zombie, but if I'm careful, I can completely de-limb a zombie with an amount of damage that definitely wouldn't have been survivable if it had been headshots.

Im thinking the damage model is basically like it was in RE4, it all feels very familiar and intuitive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Hey, al-azad, you said RE2make doesn't have locational damage, can you elaborate on that? I've been experimenting and it seems like kind of does - damage to any location will eventually kill a zombie, but if I'm careful, I can completely de-limb a zombie with an amount of damage that definitely wouldn't have been survivable if it had been headshots.

Im thinking the damage model is basically like it was in RE4, it all feels very familiar and intuitive.

To specify, headshots and body shots are lethal and based on internet people with far too much free time testing every weapon for hundreds of shots, the deviation between body and head shots for the pistol is like a savings of 20% (basically 1.2 bullets) which falls in line with the series’ random critical hit factor present in nearly every game.

So headshots on zombies are statistically a wash except for the magnum which 100% pops but is still 80% likely to one-hit a zombie so it’s not worth the risk of missing. Even the shotgun isn’t a guaranteed one-hit kill to the head. Mr. X has an armored suit so headshots are most effective. Lickers have an exposed brain so you get a savings of like 4-5 pistol rounds but it’s 20 pistol shots to kill a licker so don’t ever do this. Magnum/shotgun don’t care where they hit a licker. Dogs take flat damage.

So yeah, there’s no reason not to aim for center mass when killing zombies. If you miss a single headshot you immediately waste your savings.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 5, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That meshes with the impressions I got just from playing. Thanks for clearing it up, that was bugging me somehow

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

al-azad posted:

To specify, headshots and body shots are lethal and based on internet people with far too much free time testing every weapon for hundreds of shots, the deviation between body and head shots for the pistol is like a savings of 20% (basically 1.2 bullets) which falls in line with the series’ random critical hit factor present in nearly every game.

So headshots on zombies are statistically a wash except for the magnum which 100% pops but is still 80% likely to one-hit a zombie so it’s not worth the risk of missing. Even the shotgun isn’t a guaranteed one-hit kill to the head. Mr. X has an armored suit so headshots are most effective. Lickers have an exposed brain so you get a savings of like 4-5 pistol rounds but it’s 20 pistol shots to kill a licker so don’t ever do this. Magnum/shotgun don’t care where they hit a licker. Dogs take flat damage.

So yeah, there’s no reason not to aim for center mass when killing zombies. If you miss a single headshot you immediately waste your savings.

Oh, so don't aim for the head if you're bad, got it :colbert:

looks like i'm aiming for the body

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aim for the legs, shooting one off makes zombs way easier to deal with

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shoot an arm off afterwards and you basically neutralize them permanently. They can only kinda wiggle along the ground anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I'm watching John Wolfe play Alien Blackout and this looks a lot more like Night Trap than 5 Nights at Freddy's.

Almost like maybe wait for a game to come out before deciding you know everything about it?

Like this thread alone has RE7 is a bad Outlast clone with no combat, The Evil Within has an immortal ghost that chases you constantly and one shot kills you, and RE2 Remake has only one playthrough and nothing else changes ever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
:???: This feels like a strawman out of time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bogart posted:

:???: This feels like a strawman out of time.

I just remember it getting immediately dismissed as a FnaF clone and it doesn't really look like it based on what I saw of his playing it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

We can only discuss a game's marketing before it's released and a lot of games have bad marketing. The RE7 demos featured no hints of combat besides an axe you could find, TEW lead with the mansion chapter and tried drat hard to make a Resident Evil connection despite being one short level, and Capcom intentionally dodged questions about A/B in RE2.

As far as Blackout goes, its similarities to FNAF aren't negligible. The UI and iconography is similar, you need to drop the screen to keep the alien from getting you directly, and power/time management is a big part of the gameplay.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

We can only discuss a game's marketing before it's released and a lot of games have bad marketing. The RE7 demos featured no hints of combat besides an axe you could find,

Didn't the demo have a gun you could find in the bathroom? I don't think you get any bullets though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Didn't the demo have a gun you could find in the bathroom? I don't think you get any bullets though.

And an axe that you could use to break things and then eventually something you could kill with it.

Plus Capcom said "the gently caress are you guys on about there is absolutely combat"

And people STILL Kramered into the thread going "guys this is a lovely Outlast clone"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

And an axe that you could use to break things and then eventually something you could kill with it.

Plus Capcom said "the gently caress are you guys on about there is absolutely combat"

And people STILL Kramered into the thread going "guys this is a lovely Outlast clone"

The first demo was the first VHS tape you get in the game, completely on rails with little interaction. The second demo has the axe and empty gun. The third demo, released a full 5 months later, features combat with a single monster.

Here's are the details you maybe don't remember about Resident Evil's marketing and the state of video games in 2016:

2016 was the big rollout of VR to consumer markets. Capcom was demonstrating the "Kitchen" demo at every major con leading people to believe they were doing a VR horror game which was largely the realm of stationary rail shooters.

RE7 gets a surprise announcement at E3. The trailer features no supernatural elements and interviews with the staff have them deny there are any zombies.

Jun Takeuchi posted:

Resident Evil certainly started the whole zombie craze for games; but when we set out to create a horror game and thought about what current-generation hardware is capable of, and what is actually scary, we decided to focus on people. Zombies are, of course, scary—but that alone isn't enough to carry even a two-hour movie. Beyond the first hour or so, many movies start to focus more on the human ego and the darkness in our own hearts.

The first demo is released. Outlast 2's demo is released the same week.

An update to the demo is released later that summer. It has an axe and a hidden gun but no combat.

December the Beginning Hour demo is released featuring combat, five months after the announcement marketing.

So if you think people had no reason to speculate what RE7 was going to be the issue is Capcom because up until a month before release the game's marketing centered entirely around being tortured by the Bakers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

The first demo was the first VHS tape you get in the game, completely on rails with little interaction. The second demo has the axe and empty gun. The third demo, released a full 5 months later, features combat with a single monster.

Here's are the details you maybe don't remember about Resident Evil's marketing and the state of video games in 2016:

2016 was the big rollout of VR to consumer markets. Capcom was demonstrating the "Kitchen" demo at every major con leading people to believe they were doing a VR horror demo which was largely the realm of stationary rail shooters.

RE7 gets a surprise announcement at E3. The trailer features no supernatural elements and interviews with the staff have them deny there are any zombies.

The first demo is released. Outlast 2's demo is released the same week.

An update to the demo is released later that summer. It has an axe and a hidden gun but no combat.

December the Beginning Hour demo is released featuring combat, five months after the announcement marketing.

So if you think people had no reason to speculate what RE7 was going to be the issue is Capcom because up until a month before release the game's marketing centered entirely around being tortured by the Bakers.

The axe was absolutely in the original demo.

https://youtu.be/T0ky23papQk

But yeah there was all the reason to believe Capcom was cutting combat out of a Resident Evil game simply because they didn't show you in the first trailer that you would get to fight stuff. That's a reasonable assumption to make

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

The axe was absolutely in the original demo.

https://youtu.be/T0ky23papQk

But yeah there was all the reason to believe Capcom was cutting combat out of a Resident Evil game simply because they didn't show you in the first trailer that you would get to fight stuff. That's a reasonable assumption to make

If you seriously think obfuscating your gameplay is a good marketing move then there's no need to continue the conversation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

If you seriously think obfuscating your gameplay is a good marketing move then there's no need to continue the conversation.

It's not a good marketing move but a no point did my thought process go "yes Resident Evil will have no combat" Capcom makes dumb decisions but I feel like a RE with no combat wouldn't get a mainline number and would instead be a side game like Survivor or Darkside Chronicles.

And they were right, there were no zombies in 7.

Edit: also Until Dawn was a garbage game. That was another one this thread beat to death until it ended up not being true

Len fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 6, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
What the gently caress is the point to life if I can't Kramer into places with "news" to deliver to people.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The criticism wasn't "there is no combat" it was "where is the combat?" You have this long running AAA series that was all about fighting monsters and for the past 10 years evolved into a bombastic action game. So the 7th installment is announced and it looks and plays like a Frictional style horror game. Capcom leads with the running and hiding style (the second gameplay trailer at Gamescom was the lantern VHS where you're running from Marge) and in every interview when asked about combat it's "It's there, but we don't want to talk about it."

People were worried that the game would end up like Amnesia when really it ended up like Condemned but neither of those styles are what you think of when you bring up Resident Evil.

The true irony is that if anyone in 2016 played the ending sequence they would be shaking their fists "LESS COMBAT"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Edit: also Until Dawn was a garbage game. That was another one this thread beat to death until it ended up not being true

Unfortunately I don't have the cure for bad opinions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

The criticism wasn't "there is no combat" it was "where is the combat?" You have this long running AAA series that was all about fighting monsters and for the past 10 years evolved into a bombastic action game. So the 7th installment is announced and it looks and plays like a Frictional style horror game. Capcom leads with the running and hiding style (the second gameplay trailer at Gamescom was the lantern VHS where you're running from Marge) and in every interview when asked about combat it's "It's there, but we don't want to talk about it."

People were worried that the game would end up like Amnesia when really it ended up like Condemned but neither of those styles are what you think of when you bring up Resident Evil.

The true irony is that if anyone in 2016 played the ending sequence they would be shaking their fists "LESS COMBAT"

That I can agree with because everything up to that point was a nice middle ground and then just nope gently caress you guns.

How did the dlc end up being for RE7? I rented the game when it first came out so never bothered to buy it but the gold edition has been going on sale a lot recently and I never played that

al-azad posted:

Unfortunately I don't have the cure for bad opinions.

To be clear I dug the game but there was a very vocal group swearing it was trash. Then the game came out and turns out it wasn't

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like I did Until Dawn a disservice by dropping it after the prologue, but the flame thrower guy is really obviously not a killer and having the character I control die because the game forces me to think he is sucks rear end. Like logically I know it's a prologue and if I'm right I just short circuited pretty much the entire game, but it still sucks me out of the game hard enough that I cant be arsed to replay that section after so many years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Until Dawn was another victim of bad marketing as it was a horrendous looking Move exclusive before it got a face-lift practically overnight to be quietly released the week before MGS5. It was a huge surprise it came out so well because every detail about its development was a red flag.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Until Dawn was a lot of fun. Really looking forward to Man of Medan.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/F1ARVKm34-4

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Danaru posted:

I feel like I did Until Dawn a disservice by dropping it after the prologue, but the flame thrower guy is really obviously not a killer and having the character I control die because the game forces me to think he is sucks rear end. Like logically I know it's a prologue and if I'm right I just short circuited pretty much the entire game, but it still sucks me out of the game hard enough that I cant be arsed to replay that section after so many years

It's a really short prologue dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Until Dawn was another victim of bad marketing as it was a horrendous looking Move exclusive before it got a face-lift practically overnight to be quietly released the week before MGS5. It was a huge surprise it came out so well because every detail about its development was a red flag.

Which further backs my original point of "maybe wait for it to come out before you write it off as trash"