Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The ranked system feels ultra rushed, in 6-12 months I bet it looks basically nothing like it does now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
At the very least, I think it needs better transparency on what makes your rank go up, how it evaluates your skill.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

king of the hill seems bugged -- you rarely get poo poo for it, even if you do well

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think I'm gonna start a collage for comp mode Genjis. Last back to back games were amazing.

(neither was good at Genji)

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Went 6-4 and wound up as 57.

I have seen far more ragers in those ten games than I have playing ANY quick play or brawl. In fact, the only person I came across who was an rear end in quick play was in my second ever game where someone called me a 'fag mei' for using my wall to block off the enemy AI team from around a corner.

But these ten games people were just freaking out. Something about ranked just brings out the worst in people. Or just the worst people. I don't know.

Have had some amusing reactions in voice chat to people realising I'm a chick though. I feel like I should start recording them.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Operation Juicebox posted:

Went 6-4 and wound up as 57.

I have seen far more ragers in those ten games than I have playing ANY quick play or brawl. In fact, the only person I came across who was an rear end in quick play was in my second ever game where someone called me a 'fag mei' for using my wall to block off the enemy AI team from around a corner.

But these ten games people were just freaking out. Something about ranked just brings out the worst in people. Or just the worst people. I don't know.

Have had some amusing reactions in voice chat to people realising I'm a chick though. I feel like I should start recording them.

It's like people who take video games seriously are bad people or something.

Edit : and I like making them mad so that makes me worse somehow

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

3rd game in a row. They're never any good, either.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Operation Juicebox posted:

Please record them. I love cringy humour

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what is sudden death mode exactly? Because to be honest it might as well just say "Attackers lose".

I had a super close game last night where both teams were barely holding points or taking them. When we stopped their "final push" we thought we won, but instead it threw us on attack with a 2 minute timer to take both points on Anubis. That was pretty disheartening.

do you recall someone blaming a Reaper for accidentally teleporting off the point just as time expired? You just described the exact scenario I went through last night, from my team's perspective.

also I have no clue how I teleported...I didn't even get the "select location" screen and had no idea what was going on there.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

GreyPowerVan posted:

king of the hill seems bugged -- you rarely get poo poo for it, even if you do well

Blizzard post on the matter

While not outright saying it's bugged, hopefully they fix it.

Played (and won) a 5 round, close game on Nepal against people with same or higher ranks. Got 1/20th of a level.

Played a stomp fest Dorado against lower ranked players where the payload never stopped and they didn't take the first point and got nearly a full level.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

4-1 in placements so far, which is nice. I set up a mic and let the game automatically join team chat before I dived into it. So far I've had more mic-chat in that one test game than those competitive games combined. I guess EU is a shy crowd during the afternoon?

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Mierenneuker posted:

4-1 in placements so far, which is nice. I set up a mic and let the game automatically join team chat before I dived into it. So far I've had more mic-chat in that one test game than those competitive games combined. I guess EU is a shy crowd during the afternoon?

I've had maybe three games with someone in voice chat over 50 hours in EU. Zero so far in competitive.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My competitive voice chat experience with randoms consists of 2-3 people saying hi when the round starts. Then nothing, maybe someone saying "push the point" at the end if we're losing.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
Went 5-5 with 2 really close loses, one 6v1 win (poor Soldier 76 "BuffFarts"), and 3 depressingly crushing losses. Ended up Rank 47. 4 of my drat matches were in Hollywood and 3 in Nepal KOTH. Only got one guy mainlining Hanzo and a bunch of folks cooperating on mics, so there is that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

My competitive voice chat experience with randoms consists of 2-3 people saying hi when the round starts. Then nothing, maybe someone saying "push the point" at the end if we're losing.

Generally when I'm on comms I try to call out flanks and my team seems appreciative, plus we win more. Try doing that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Attestant posted:

3rd game in a row. They're never any good, either.

Having the same experience with the Genji nonsense.

EDIT: Does comp give the same exp as quick play? Regular exp, not ranked.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 30, 2016

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

Generally when I'm on comms I try to call out flanks and my team seems appreciative, plus we win more. Try doing that.

I mean what I hear them saying. I'm saying stuff to them the whole time but 99% of it gets no response.

And yes, I'm in the team chat channel

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think comp does give the same xp, it feels like it kinda made quick play redundant. I get the same baddies in both modes but comp has the possibility of earning a reward.

Now if quickplay was 12 vs 12 there'd be a reason for it to exist.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yea, they are confirmed as bugged somewhere on the forums. Whether you win or lose, you only gain/lose a small portion of the full amount. It seems as if the game is only capturing and rewarding/penalizing for one of the 5 possible rounds instead of the full 3-5 round match. It's rough because one normal loss would take about five or more KoTH wins to even out when it should just be one. They need to hotfix this ASAP more than anything else right now IMO.

Tahirovic posted:

I think comp does give the same xp, it feels like it kinda made quick play redundant. I get the same baddies in both modes but comp has the possibility of earning a reward.

Yea, it does. You get less xp per round because you only get medal and win bonuses once, but there's no 1-2+ minute wait between maps, so it evens out and probably ends up a higher number overall over time.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 30, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Verranicus posted:

Having the same experience with the Genji nonsense.

EDIT: Does comp give the same exp as quick play? Regular exp, not ranked.

Honestly, adding to this is oddly therapeutic.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Fateo McMurray posted:

I mean what I hear them saying. I'm saying stuff to them the whole time but 99% of it gets no response.

And yes, I'm in the team chat channel

But are they?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Was getting wrecked on defense in Hollywood as support and was begging someone, anyone on my team to pick a hitscan character to deal with the enemy Pharah who was running over us. "What is hitscan?" "I don't know ur technical terms noob" "its just a game" all from the dude who refused to change but instead was cycling through each character one by one as he died, never managing to build up enough meter to use an ult.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That guy is definitely stupid but I don't really blame people for not knowing what hitscan is, especially this game where I'm sure a huge chunk of players have either never played a shooter before or don't play them all that seriously. I feel like even when people try to explain what hitscan is they don't really do a good job of it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
haha imagine not knowing something, unreal

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

That guy is definitely stupid but I don't really blame people for not knowing what hitscan is, especially this game where I'm sure a huge chunk of players have either never played a shooter before or don't play them all that seriously. I feel like even when people try to explain what hitscan is they don't really do a good job of it.

I just told him a hitscan character was any one whose gun didn't have travel time between shooting and hitting, and a couple others on my team tried to help me explain. Granted this was during the match between him calling us nerds so it probably wasn't as eloquent as it could have been, but even not knowing the term anyone who is rank 97 (as he was) should know that switching to Mei or Pharah to fight a much better Pharah instead of say, 76 or Bastion is a dumb idea.

Lovechop posted:

haha imagine not knowing something, unreal

Sorry, the only FPS games I've played much of at all are this and TF2 so it's not like I'm some god at the genre and I knew what it was so I assumed it was common knowledge. Problem wasn't that he didn't know what the term meant, but that he was a tool about it. But hey, whatever, I'm a shithead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm the irony of someone calling someone else a noob because they know what a hitscan weapon is.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
This ranking system is wild!!! All of my friends are better than me at this game but I'm still a higher rank! And that's even after losing 2 ranks when going 4-4 last night, 3 of which I had game-alteringly good performances as Widow and Lucio, had I been on any other not awful teams.

I have no idea what "hitscan" is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Attestant posted:

So how the gently caress does the ranking system even work. I got 7-3 in placements, and it put me to rank 54.

Now when I win a game, the meter inches forward like the width of my thumb. I lose a game, and it chunks half of my current rank. Does it really expect you to win and win and win to get rankups, without losses at all? Because gently caress that in solo queue at least. I've been in back to back games now, where my teammates are fighting over who can permalock Genji, and so far both games ended in double Genji, and total losses. Now I'm rank 52, and it hardly feels like my fault. :(

Probably depends on the skill of the people it's matching you with, since it's pretty hard to come up with exact 50/50 matches! If the game expects you to win and you win anyway, it's going to reward you less and punish the other team less. If the game expects you to win but you manage to lose, it'll reward the other team more generously and punish you more harshly (because clearly either the other team was better than the game thought or your team was worse than the game thought). Since you haven't played many competitive matches, the game isn't particularly confident that it ranked you correctly, so it's more likely to swing you farther if it decides it was wrong about you. I wouldn't worry about individual matches - ranking systems like this are statistical and aim to measure your skill by watching the outcome of dozens of games, so the outcome of any individual match isn't going to mean much in the long run.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I kind of wish the little competitive rank bar screen just... didn't show up. Our group is nothing special, so it kind of seems like a waste of time to keep showing me that little arrow going back and forth over a tiny little portion of the bar and going between 45 and 46. And then giving me this really victorious NEW RANK ACHIEVED message when I hit 46 each time. Save that message for if I manage to hit 50 at least

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

okay forget all that poo poo about competitive this is the most important thing right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbfrQIxwLw

:siren: it shoots confetti and cheers and airhorns if you make a basket :siren:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I never like Competitive rankings built purely off win/loss tallies. The general premise is based on how a team as a whole did, but that team's never going to be the same twice unless you're going in with premades so it turns into an extremely toxic environment of people despising everyone else because their rating might drop. What it should take into account are your own match stats to offset the ranking reduction, or even increase your rank by a very small amount if you can perform obscenely well in spite of a loss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

okay forget all that poo poo about competitive this is the most important thing right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbfrQIxwLw

:siren: it shoots confetti and cheers and airhorns if you make a basket :siren:

This is so great. I love that Blizzard adds in little things like this. Now make the pinatas drop twice as much candy

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never like Competitive rankings built purely off win/loss tallies.

I might be insane, but this is exactly what they said in the interviews. But this makes little sense to me unless there's some sort of hidden skill number that's abstracted away because both "underdog" teams I played yesterday were the same average skill level.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just picked this game up over the weekend and obviously I'm completely hooked and in love with it. Reinhardt is my man. I've never been very good at aiming and shooting in multiplayer games, so having options like Reinhardt that allow me to contribute feels great.

Still, I feel like maybe I need to branch out a little bit and even with Reinhardt I'm probably using him to his fullest potential. I'm sure there have been many articles written about using every character, can someone recommend some? Or hey, if you want to write up some tips of your own they will be much appreciated.

There's nothing like getting the whole team behind your shield and pushing forward to an objective, knowing that your the lynchpin of the whole thing. Even as a lovely new player, it feels like when I die as Reinhardt the team has a lot of trouble progressing, and things only pick up again once I'm able to get back in the action.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I've never been very good at aiming and shooting in multiplayer games...

...I feel like maybe I need to branch out a little bit and even with Reinhardt I'm probably using him to his fullest potential.

Junkrat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Basebf555 posted:

I just picked this game up over the weekend and obviously I'm completely hooked and in love with it. Reinhardt is my man. I've never been very good at aiming and shooting in multiplayer games, so having options like Reinhardt that allow me to contribute feels great.

Still, I feel like maybe I need to branch out a little bit and even with Reinhardt I'm probably using him to his fullest potential. I'm sure there have been many articles written about using every character, can someone recommend some? Or hey, if you want to write up some tips of your own they will be much appreciated.

There's nothing like getting the whole team behind your shield and pushing forward to an objective, knowing that your the lynchpin of the whole thing. Even as a lovely new player, it feels like when I die as Reinhardt the team has a lot of trouble progressing, and things only pick up again once I'm able to get back in the action.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread;

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On Offense, you Defend. On Defense, you Attack.

No, seriously.

Most of your guys will find their own cover, leaving you free to Charge at an enemy group and scatter them. Be a big fat target in their midst (or better still, behind them), and break their focus away from your buddies to give them a bunch of easy targets to shoot in the back. You should still cover your buddies as-needed of course, but you've got more wiggle-room to let loose and be aggressive. Even if you die, you've still been an unignorable pest in their midst eating valuable time.

On Offence, learn how to angle your shield. Don't turn it to take a fresh incoming line of fire head-on dead-center, angle the edge of your Shield to take it instead so you're still holding off the first attacker as well. Also unless you're hosed for Health and Shield power anyway (or have a really good moment where you don't need to immediately assist a push in on the Point or Payload), your only job is to cover your buddies. Don't go charging off or you're just leaving your friends out in the open to die.

One other thing to add is your shield goes right through walls. If you have buddies sneaking around inside a corridor beside you (eg; Numbani's shops), hug the wall as you go just on the off chance it helps them too.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never like Competitive rankings built purely off win/loss tallies. The general premise is based on how a team as a whole did, but that team's never going to be the same twice unless you're going in with premades so it turns into an extremely toxic environment of people despising everyone else because their rating might drop. What it should take into account are your own match stats to offset the ranking reduction, or even increase your rank by a very small amount if you can perform obscenely well in spite of a loss.

This guy is ranked #3 in skill rating, and there's probably a massive amount of players with a 75% win rate on comp.
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/MiGattune-3325

But AFAIK, it's always a reduction when you lose and a gain when you win.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Bolivar posted:

This guy is ranked #3 in skill rating, and there's probably a massive amount of players with a 75% win rate on comp.
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/MiGattune-3325

But AFAIK, it's always a reduction when you lose and a gain when you win.

Figures he plays all the worst characters you never want on your team, minus Mei.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So yeah, same MMR system as Quickplay, the bell-curve will keep the majority of non six-man teams in the 45-55 bracket with almost no hopes of escaping it based on personal skill.

For 75% of your player base, competitive mode is just longer matches in return for a gold weapon at the end of season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Number of lost placement games so far: 3.
Number of placement games where we had 4-5 players from 2 minutes in: 3.
Overlap? 100%

Bah!