Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I call it the 'Chuck Berry' and it's awesome to abuse it as much as possible, see 1.30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC9zuwfeebw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Colonel J posted:

Technique question: there's a technique many guitarists use in their solos, but I don't know the name of it - for example it's at the start of the "Good times Bad Times" solo, and Gilmour also uses it a lot, and probably every guitarist ever.

It looks like

e|-------12--------12----------
B|----12--------12-------------
G|14b-------14b---------------
D|----------------------------------
A|-----------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------

How are those called? What's the trick to them? I feel like I'm doing it wrong, do they sweep it? Thanks.

Arpeggios? I guess that's not specific enough.

Yeah I kinda roll it like a mini-sweep, with the one finger barre'd.

peter gabriel posted:

I call it the 'Chuck Berry' and it's awesome to abuse it as much as possible, see 1.30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC9zuwfeebw

Yeah I'm cool with calling that a "Chuck Berry", everybody would know what you mean.

Why wouldn't you just post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ring finger for the 14 bend and use your index flattened like a barre over the two 12s. Let the 12 on the B string ring out and then roll your finger back so it mutes the B string while using the pad of your index for the 12 on the E string.

Try to bend it so that you try to bend up the A your ring finger is on to match the B that your index finger is on. When I say "try" I don't mean "you have to match the note 1:1 or else you're loving up" as the entire purpose is to get a bit of dissonance from the bend then even it out with the matching tone. Listen to the examples people posted and interpret them as you will.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wax potting is for wimps, install your pickup in all it's raw glory.

And make it so.

I guess Fender's pickups can vary a bit and mine is a snug fit. Need to file the opening a bit as the pickup can get hung up during height adjustment.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Why wouldn't you just post this

That's a really good point and I have no idea :v:

Sockington posted:

And make it so.
I guess Fender's pickups can vary a bit and mine is a snug fit. Need to file the opening a bit as the pickup can get hung up during height adjustment.

I really like what you've done here

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I thought everyone knew that bathroom tone is the best possible tone in conventional housing arrangements. Closets, pfft.
Just to be clear: you don't play into a closet because it gives you the best possible tone. You play into the closet precisely because it doesn't and if you're playing a woodwind you don't get a tone knob or a volume knob so you've got to learn to adjust for the room with your playing.

Otherwise you would want to play in the bathroom, or maybe the kitchen. Not for the tone, but because it's easier to mop up all the spit.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'd like to have a hidden camera set up for when my girlfriend comes home and finds me and my guitars/amps all stuffed into our bathroom and me wailing away.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can I power any pedal from the DC-out on my Boss TU-3-tuner (provided it doesn't draw too much current)? Or is it some kind of Boss only thing?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
New pickups in, now it's perfect :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

New pickups in, now it's perfect :allears:

drat that's sexy

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Pondex posted:

Can I power any pedal from the DC-out on my Boss TU-3-tuner (provided it doesn't draw too much current)? Or is it some kind of Boss only thing?

Most pedals; some old school stuff use weird jacks (3.5mm plugs) so you'd need an adapter, and some stuff doesn't even have a jack and just uses batteries. Other pedals you shouldn't use are some digital pedals (but not all), as certain pedals have a overly large current draw which can cause problems. Just look to see how many mA your pedals draw and how many your power supply can give. Usually analog stuff has a reasonable draw, so it's not as much of a concern.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I want a truck-mounted guitar rig like Fury Road.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'd recommend something like a Ford F750 Super Duty or even a Volvo VNM series with the shorter mid-roof to accommodate more speakers.

e: though with the trend toward more portable setups you could look into something like these guys have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxxM9EYQzY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I want a truck-mounted guitar rig like Fury Road.

I've wanted to do that since the Rock Band cutscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQxAYx56Sg

Was wondering when some band would take ghost riding to the next level in a music video.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

drat that's sexy

Ta :)

It sounds so so good now as well, more rounded sound and clearer than it was, it's really nice.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So has anyone had issue with D'Addario strings being bad right out of a sealed bag? I restrung my Ibanez semi hollow last night with standard light XLs and I've noticed it's got significant dull spots on the string. It's not full on rust, but it's dulled on the finish to the point that I can see it in a poorly lit room. These were strings I had bought over a year ago at this point, and I'm not sure if the sealed packages have an expiration date.

Edit: Adding another set of questions since nobody else has posted. I've been so enamored with my Ibanez Semi-Hollow that I've pretty much completely forgotten about my other electrics (a Epiphone Les Paul and a Malden Utopia) and I've considered doing some work on them to get them sounding better. I'm looking around at guitarfetish.com to see some new pickups, but I'm not sure what I want to look for nor what to expect from anything I would buy. I want to stick to passive pickups for the time being, but would appreciate some help in finding some pickup styles.

The guy at my local guitar store suggested lipstick pickups for my Malden Utopia and I think I'm on board with that, I basically consider the Utopia my surf rock guitar anyways, may as well go full out on the pickups. Does anyone have experience with these guys and their mid/bridge counterparts?

I'm not even sure where to start with my Les Paul. All I know is that the current humbuckers are hot dogshit compared to my Ibanez AS93. I do want to keep it passive since this is my first DIY guitar project and I'd rather not mess around with wiring power into the guitar. The comedy option in my mind's eye is to buy bootleg Super 58s since I love the way those sound on my Ibanez. The problem with that is I'm not sure GF does that style nor really what they would call it. Anyone able to give me a hand with it?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 3, 2015

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

That's a really good point and I have no idea :v:

I really like what you've done here

Thank you. I just had a chance to run it through my 11rack into the Mesa 4x12 and it's probably my favourite guitar out of the bunch now. I rolled through a bunch of patches and it's just glorious. Mixing it with the single coil takes just enough bite out of it for good rhythm gainy chording. I knew I liked the pickup in my Cabronita that happened into my lap on a trade and I'm so happy it worked out again in this one. Some cavity massaging with a dozen sanding barrels on the dremel did the clean up work for me. I was super paranoid about a big finish chip like I had on my Jazzmaster routing adventure (thankfully under the pickguard) since there wasn't a lot of room for error as the bridge has maybe 3/8" on each side of the pickup.

:words: a $275 used Classic Vibe Squier, a $45 bridge, and a $50 stock Fender pickup is where it's at for me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm not even sure where to start with my Les Paul. All I know is that the current humbuckers are hot dogshit compared to my Ibanez AS93. I do want to keep it passive since this is my first DIY guitar project and I'd rather not mess around with wiring power into the guitar. The comedy option in my mind's eye is to buy bootleg Super 58s since I love the way those sound on my Ibanez. The problem with that is I'm not sure GF does that style nor really what they would call it. Anyone able to give me a hand with it?

You have to decide what you want to play primarily and go from there, Burstbuckers are a great all round fit for general use though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

In the vein of Burstbuckers, I just put a threesome of Pros into my friend's Epiphone Black Beauty. They have a lot more sparkle and brightness than the old Epi pickups, and they are WAY hotter. Set up with the string space about to Gibson spec on the bridge and way lower on the neck and they start overdriving his amp if you dare to put the guitar's volume above about 5.

e: And I started loving around with Amplitube's free version. It accepts my old Line6 GuitarPort as an input and sounds a hell of a lot better than the Line6 modeling software, in addition to being more flexible. Might consider buying a couple of the more high-gain models and a nice bass amp/cab for quiet practice. :toot:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Can't go wrong with some Seymour Duncan Jazz or Alnico II Pro pickups on a Les Paul.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just swapped my Burstbuckers for Alnico 2 SDs and can confirm the Burstbuckers were hotter, oddly.
Still cool though and good deals second hand to be had, that's my first thought anyways.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I've just swapped my Burstbuckers for Alnico 2 SDs and can confirm the Burstbuckers were hotter, oddly.
Still cool though and good deals second hand to be had, that's my first thought anyways.

Should note that any Burstbucker other than the BB Pro is Alnico II with the BB Pro being AlnicoV. But the magnets can also be swapped to change sounds without a lot of money.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sockington posted:

Should note that any Burstbucker other than the BB Pro is Alnico II with the BB Pro being AlnicoV. But the magnets can also be swapped to change sounds without a lot of money.

Oh yeah, I was specifically talking about Seymour Duncans vs Gibson, sorry I was a bit vague

And they were Pros, forgot that as well :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Much thanks to Shugojin for a second set of eyes, my LP is now working much better. :toot:

Ended up being the Dream 90's metal shield stealing all my tones. GFS pickup wiring is weird.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Much thanks to Shugojin for a second set of eyes, my LP is now working much better. :toot:

Ended up being the Dream 90's metal shield stealing all my tones. GFS pickup wiring is weird.

I actually did nothing! He tried it on his own after reading GFS documentation mentioning that sometimes the shield on the P-90esques causes :airquote:handling issues:airquote: which is apparently code for "sending a bunch of what should be signal to ground".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shugojin posted:

I actually did nothing! He tried it on his own after reading GFS documentation mentioning that sometimes the shield on the P-90esques causes :airquote:handling issues:airquote: which is apparently code for "sending a bunch of what should be signal to ground".

If you hadn't told me to check my pots though I never even would have thought of it. :haw:

Also fun, now the whole thing buzzes like crazy if I touch the shield. So weird.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So dicking around in Amplitube, I have finally come to understand the point of EQ pedals. drat did slapping that in front of everything tighten up my crunch :eyepop:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

So dicking around in Amplitube, I have finally come to understand the point of EQ pedals. drat did slapping that in front of everything tighten up my crunch :eyepop:

Got any top tips? I'd like a tight crunch, so to speak.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sounds silly but just drop the bass frequencies a bit before it hits any of the distortion/overdrive pedals. It really tightens everything up because the bass frequencies drive harder. I'm still searching for ~optimal tone~ but that's the gist.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Got any top tips? I'd like a tight crunch, so to speak.

You just have to play around with frequencies but eq makes a huge difference. Low pass and high pass to cut out digital fuzz and get out of the bass and kick drums territory, and add some mids to cut through the mix.

If you're new you will just want to make small adjustments until you start figuring out frequencies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Don't cut too many of your actual useful bass frequencies before an OD as they generally do that anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ps gently caress you because now i'm looking at pedalboards and pedals again

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I don't mean a lot of cut, seriously just a tiny bit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

Boost your mids, a lot.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
apparently boss made a parametric pedal eq that i really want to try now

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How much bass cut is there on a ts808 copy like the joyo vintage od? I'm guessing the volume control works as a compressor when you dial it in due to the mid hump with gain at 0?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I am absolutely in love with Lace sensors. I was able to get some "Band of Gypsies" tones out of a Maxon 808 and EP boost out of my Princeton Reverb. The Blue/Silver/Red combo is pretty amazing. They all sound very different from one another which is awesome. The in between sounds are very usable and normally on a Strat I don't like the in betweens.

Also, bonus shot:

And semi-related. We have a lot of kinks worked out and are going live with the pickpeels site very soon. Pickpeels is the name we come up with for the product. I'll post the site here and make an SA Mart thread as soon as it's up.

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012

Hollis Brownsound posted:

And semi-related. We have a lot of kinks worked out and are going live with the pickpeels site very soon. Pickpeels is the name we come up with for the product. I'll post the site here and make an SA Mart thread as soon as it's up.
I am super excited about this!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
StickyPicks imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Boost your mids, a lot.

I tried that and it works too, but differently.

I feel like such a dork for having scorned these things for years because "the amp already has an EQ on it :downs: ".