Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
EVGA, if you want anymore of my money from buying a Titan X how about you restock your goddamn hybrid coolers and backplates. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Zero VGS posted:

I'm mostly upset because if AMD falls on their face, NVidia might respond by just not bothering to drop any prices...

Yeah. The last thing we need is another Intel vs AMD situation.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don Lapre posted:

Do they not have hdmi 2.0?

Pretty sure that was new with the 970, and the 290 was well older than that.

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.evga.com/inboxpromo/

50% off evga power supply and mouse if you purchase a 900 series card or titan x

EVGA power supplies are legit good, this is a good deal.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Even if AMD's new cards are crap, I could see Nvidia break it off in their rear end by dropping the price on the 970 to $299 and/or releasing a 960Ti for $249 which can be easily overclocked to 970 speeds.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can anyone point me to a GPU OC'ing guide of some sort? Never done it before and would like to try it out with the 980 ti G1 by Gigabyte when it comes in.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

spasticColon posted:

Even if AMD's new cards are crap, I could see Nvidia break it off in their rear end by dropping the price on the 970 to $299 and/or releasing a 960Ti for $249 which can be easily overclocked to 970 speeds.

If NV really wants to hose AMD, they could stop milking with the 980. AMD seems to be counting on getting between them to get a lot of money for not much more performance.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
A 980 close to 400$ would be hard to ignore.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Do they not have hdmi 2.0?

"HDMI 2.0" on it's own is meaningless, pretty much all it means is that you can pass cert for one 2.0 feature. In fact HDMI adopters aren't even supposed to advertise using the version number but that never stopped anyone before. What people care about (I'm assuming) is whether there's support for for 600MHz pixel clocks, which is what you need for 4k60 at 4:4:4 colour depth (interestingly, the 2.0 spec added a resolution which is 4k60 but with 4:2:0, which only requires 297MHz pixel clocks which is what pretty much every HDMI solution is able to run at now)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Etrips posted:

Can anyone point me to a GPU OC'ing guide of some sort? Never done it before and would like to try it out with the 980 ti G1 by Gigabyte when it comes in.

You know I've never actually seen one. I can get you started if you like,

1) Download MSI Afterburner
2) Click on Settings, check "Unlock Voltage Control" and "Unlock Voltage Monitoring". From the drop down box, select Extended MSI. Might want to make sure Start with Windows is on and Start Minimized.
3) Some might disagree, but slide your Core Voltage and Power Limit bars to the max. You won't hurt it, and this is where a lot of OC can and most likely will come from
4) Download some stress test program. I prefer Heaven, mostly because I can usually crash an overclock very early on in the sequence. 3DMark is another one although theres way more going on with that one

From here you want to increase your "Core Clock (MHz)" slider in small increments and stress test between the changes. Technically its in 13 mhz increments, so in the little box with the value (default +0) you can just type "13". Test, add another 13, then repeat until you crash, then back off. Once you are fairly certain you found a stable clock speed, do the same thing with the memory clock slider, although I'd add 50 at a time.

The graphs on the right you will wont to monitor are GPU core clock, GPU memory clock, and GPU temperature. For the memory clock, multiply that by 2 to get your effective MHz (this is whats printed on the box). The final value to watch is your temperature - you dont want it to throttle. This is increasingly unlikely on nvidia cards but that could depend on the cooler you have, case flow, and ambient temps. If you're getting into the 80's you can start backing off the voltage. I actually dont know which slider affects temperature the most because I have never actually throttled an nvidia card... lol. I've OC'd probably 15 in the last year or so and its not been an issue but just keep it in mind.

Save your overclock by clicking on one of the boxes labeled 1-6 on the bottom left, when it is highlighted press the "save" button. Those are the basics.

Note that the adjustments you make might be very different from someone else's. Like you might be at +46 core clock and +450 memory, when another person with the same chipset might be at +92 and +600. But, the end result will likely be very close, and those are the values you see in the graph. So you might both be at 1406 mhz and 7900 effective memory because your cards had different stock values. This is why just copying someones values probably wont work.

Another thing, make sure you reboot when your driver crashes. It's extremely unreliable to overclock after its "recovered"

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 13, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Well dang, that seems easy enough. Thanks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I generally recommend only using voltage as needed with Maxwell cards, as higher voltage at a given clock means that you are more likely to hit your power limit. Voltage can actually harm your overclocks, as the increased core clock you get can be nullified by faster TDP throttling.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
flash card, raise power limit.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BurritoJustice posted:

I generally recommend only using voltage as needed with Maxwell cards, as higher voltage at a given clock means that you are more likely to hit your power limit. Voltage can actually harm your overclocks, as the increased core clock you get can be nullified by faster TDP throttling.

Yeah I want to add most of my experience is with Kepler, although very similar in OC method, stuff like this might be different. Although with the few Maxwells I've tried I havent hit my power target yet, I have in the past, and it was entirely brand dependent for whatever reason.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah I want to add most of my experience is with Kepler, although very similar in OC method, stuff like this might be different. Although with the few Maxwells I've tried I havent hit my power target yet, I have in the past, and it was entirely brand dependent for whatever reason.

Different brands have different TDP limits, set in the default vBIOS. The Asus Strix card us know for having the lowest TDP limit and lowest voltage limit, which can be a real hindrance (IIRC it allows voltage up to 1.202v and 200w~ TDP). For comparison, the G1 Gaming goes up to 1.262v and well over 300w, and the MSI is second best at 1.25v 275w (if I'm remembering correctly, there is a overclock.net thread on the subject).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Different brands have different TDP limits, set in the default vBIOS. The Asus Strix card us know for having the lowest TDP limit and lowest voltage limit, which can be a real hindrance (IIRC it allows voltage up to 1.202v and 200w~ TDP). For comparison, the G1 Gaming goes up to 1.262v and well over 300w, and the MSI is second best at 1.25v 275w (if I'm remembering correctly, there is a overclock.net thread on the subject).

The G1 Gaming flat out doesn't give a poo poo and slurps down power in furmark to the tune of something like 350W or something inane (because power viruses are ridiculous and load cards in no way a game ever can).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
All those poor amd users hoping new drivers will magically make the 390 a good card.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

All those poor amd users hoping new drivers will magically make the 390 a good card.

Well right now they seem to be performing worse than if they were literally 290s, so it seems like something's missing.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Is the PNY 980 Ti card any good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop Its the only 980 Ti card in stock at Amazon and I only had experience with ASUS and EVGA cards before. Reference cards are all the same internally right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mang Tomas posted:

Is the PNY 980 Ti card any good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop Its the only 980 Ti card in stock at Amazon and I only had experience with ASUS and EVGA cards before. Reference cards are all the same internally right?

Other than a 1 year non transferable hope you didn't break the warranty seal by taking off the heatsink warranty, its the exact same reference card everyone else sells.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mang Tomas posted:

Are the 980 Ti's a limited run or a standard product in their lineup? At some point the one you want will just be in stock right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

Are the 980 Ti's a limited run or a standard product in their lineup? At some point the one you want will just be in stock right?

Yes, they are just hard to get right now cause everyone wants them.

Newegg has ACX2.0 evga cards for $649 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-06G-P4...=item43de20082d

edit: and on their site as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.evga.com/inboxpromo/

50% off evga power supply and mouse if you purchase a 900 series card or titan x

So I couldn't get the discount to go through and I read the fine print.

quote:

Offer available for purchases made on or after 6/5/2015

:negative:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Well right now they seem to be performing worse than if they were literally 290s, so it seems like something's missing.
Best case scenario is that they actually did something different with the cards and a driver update would possibly at least make it less poo poo, whether it was switching them over to GCN 1.2 or just simply more power efficiency

Worst case scenario is that they hosed up the fabrication process, which I don't think would be possible since AMD has always been using TSMC since the 200 series.

I'm gritting my teeth on finding out why Tonga XT is delayed, personally.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 13, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lol whats the UDDA adapter.. keep seeing it on the boxes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol whats the UDDA adapter.. keep seeing it on the boxes.

Looks to just be XFX's way of saying, "Here! We're giving you DP adapters as marketing value!"

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looks to just be XFX's way of saying, "Here! We're giving you DP adapters as marketing value!"

That's actually kind of nice

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unless they are bundling expensive multi-head active adapters it looks like AMD may have improved their display output capabilities?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Alereon posted:

Unless they are bundling expensive multi-head active adapters it looks like AMD may have improved their display output capabilities?

Looks like they can use 3 x TMDS clocks for outputs, plus a DP. Which is something you've been able to do on AMD cards for awhile, with some limitations (ie, on the 290(X) there are only two physical clocks, so at least two of the three TMDS outputs need to utilize identical resolutions and refresh rates).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

DrDork posted:

Looks like they can use 3 x TMDS clocks for outputs, plus a DP. Which is something you've been able to do on AMD cards for awhile, with some limitations (ie, on the 290(X) there are only two physical clocks, so at least two of the three TMDS outputs need to utilize identical resolutions and refresh rates).
I was misreading what the adapters do and thought they were offering additional port, that's much less interesting.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, it's just making their HDMI and DVI ports totally interchangeable (not sure if that means the adaptor can be made to work if you need a dual link DVI connection though).

It's cool but it's not that cool.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 13, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kEcbLRnbVI

Who wants to pay $449 for a card as fast as a 970

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Here is GPU-Z for those that wanted it yesterday.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the rebranded cards definitely seem to be big losers. I am hoping that the fury cards are at least competitive, or AMD is going to have a really hard time of it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

This makes less than no sense that they're cranking prices like that if it isn't competitive, last time they rebranded, they used it as an excuse to lower prices with the 280X.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Haha, oh, AMD. This is an absolute disaster.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
R9 390 - Firestrike normal benchmark.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

Jesus. That's worse than my gently OC'd 290 in every way except for memory size and clock. PCI device isn't even changed.

RIP ATI, for good this time.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kEcbLRnbVI

Who wants to pay $449 for a card as fast as a 970

So the score for the 390x was 10268 with the regular Firestrike test, the score I got with my 980 is 10992.

That would make the 980 7% better than the 390x, at a 10% premium. I am surprised at the difference between this 390x and the 390 from our own poster, which was a whopping 30% difference. The test is different though, as firestrike extreme is 1440p and firestrike is 1080p... but even then I wouldn't have expected such a difference. Since these are two different computers its hard to draw a solid conclusion and all that.

In any case, that would make the 390x a "decent" choice over a 980 if you wanted AMD. But that isn't particularly surprising of course since this was the same scenario as the 290x, except the 290x is cheaper to much cheaper. And saying you are just as good performance/dollar as a 980 isn't anything to be proud of (even with the $50 drop).

Bishyaler posted:

R9 390 - Firestrike normal benchmark.

Oh look new info :D. Well, now everything is in line and makes sense. I guess the 390 performs significantly worse than Maxwell at 1440p for some weird reason?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bishyaler posted:

No, I refuse to believe that there isn't something wrong going on here. This is tantamount to suicide. There is no way in hell that AMD expects to live on Fury cards until Arctic Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh look new info :D. Well, now everything is in line and makes sense. I guess the 390 performs significantly worse than Maxwell at 1440p for some weird reason?

Which is really weird because if I remember right, Hawaii does progressively better than Maxwell as resolution increases.

What the hell is going on.