Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So I feel like I'm getting close to the end of my first play through. I have been using the drangleic set the whole game and I'm now trying to figure out what a good upgrade would be. I just have no clue what a good upgrade to the drangleic poo poo would be.

The only worthwhile upgrade is a fashion souls upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So I feel like I'm getting close to the end of my first play through. I have been using the drangleic set the whole game and I'm now trying to figure out what a good upgrade would be. I just have no clue what a good upgrade to the drangleic poo poo would be.

A lot of the boss armor is good. Check Yellow Guy's stock and you there will be a bunch of new armor pieces you might not have been aware of.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, unless you're doing it for fashion reasons there's no real reason to upgrade from the Dranglec stuff. It's genuinely that good.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Random question for Internet Kraken - I just saw those pictures of your cosplay dude earlier in the thread. How did you manage to give him literally no face? Best I've been able to do is a totally black form, but the eyes are still obviously there, as is the delineation of the nose and mouth. Is there a way you can mess about enough with the advanced settings to utterly delete all facial feature?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

Burning effigies makes sense if you get invaded a lot. But unless you're a sinner and possibly also wearing the ring that puts you higher in the invasion queue, that never actually comes up.

Initially, I saw the option to burn effigies and thought that was how you were supposed to regain humanity, since I'd read the item description before but not used it. Was definitely confused for a while.

Also finally hit a hacker. Got summoned into LGK against a host and two phantoms. Managed to kill both phantoms, and was on a high. Then the host just stood there and tanked two sun spears and a GRS (no shield, he staggered like he should have been getting hit), and proceeded to kill the boss while basically ignoring the fact that I was there which was a downer.
Still, that was only the first one I've seen so far, so the frequency seems way, way less than DS1 at least.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

King of Solomon posted:

The only worthwhile upgrade is a fashion souls upgrade.

Grave warden head wrap + transparent breastplate + long gloves of your choosing + catte pants

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ninjaiguana posted:

Random question for Internet Kraken - I just saw those pictures of your cosplay dude earlier in the thread. How did you manage to give him literally no face? Best I've been able to do is a totally black form, but the eyes are still obviously there, as is the delineation of the nose and mouth. Is there a way you can mess about enough with the advanced settings to utterly delete all facial feature?

Sort of. He does have a face, I just messed around in the character editor enough to diminish his facial features are much as possible. He does have some facial details still, but with pitch black face paint its hard to notice. Here's what he actually looks like with "regular" skin;

Charming right? :v:

That was the best I could manage in trying to minimize the face. You can squash the nose so its completely flat but nostrils are always gonna be visible. Lips can be stretched out a ton so they are paper thin. Eyes are trickier to cover up. What I did was set them inward as much as possible, and then extended the upper brow over them. The result is that the eyes appear to be missing from most angles, but if you tilt the camera downward you can barely see them.

Point is, if it weren't for the black skin you would notice this stuff. You actually can see some vague face details based on the lighting. As a phantom they get highlighted, but it just looks like he is mutilated and scowling which is fine by me.

VVVV I can not for the life of me get guard breaks to work consistently, though I'm using a custom keyboard setup. I've heard its fine if you use a controller. Wish they'd just let us bind guard break to a separate button.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 17, 2014

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Is it just me, or is the timing for guard breaks and lounging attacks incredibly tight? I had zero problems with kicks in Dark Souls, but with guard breaks I'm lucky if one in ten tries work! Is it supposed to be like that, or is there some kind of fix (other than getting better)?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jordbo posted:

Is it just me, or is the timing for guard breaks and lounging attacks incredibly tight? I had zero problems with kicks in Dark Souls, but with guard breaks I'm lucky if one in ten tries work! Is it supposed to be like that, or is there some kind of fix (other than getting better)?

The timing is just ridiculously strict. I think it's a bug, but I'm not sure.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly somebody should post in the OP of every Souls thread that unless you're minmaxing for effort PVP you should just wear whatever armor you think looks cool and if you are that the answer is either "the most poise you can have without fatrolling" or "the heaviest armor you own period" depending on whether you roll or not.

That being said the best armor in the game is clearly Alva's set, Lucatiel's set, and anything with the Hunter's or Durgo's Hat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Like most timing in this game, it's a fixed frame count that doesn't change at higher framerates. poo poo gets a lot easier if you have something limit the game to 30 fps.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Can any lore wizards conjecture some significance to these bird/Horus statues in the Heide Tower/COB?

Easy, bird statues are Velka. Velka was the god that hunted down sinners in DS1, Blue Sentinels hunt down sinners in DS2, Sentinels have their roots in Velka.

Boom.

More proof for Velka, Pursuer rides around on a big raven, he hunts down sinners. Basically birds = cops in Dark Souls lore.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 17, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of armour, is there anyway to get the red dragonrider armour or is the black version the only one available?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so i just got my first dose of pvp in this game in bellfry luna. Trying to go and kill the gargoyles there. PvP in this game sucks.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Honestly somebody should post in the OP of every Souls thread that unless you're minmaxing for effort PVP you should just wear whatever armor you think looks cool and if you are that the answer is either "the most poise you can have without fatrolling" or "the heaviest armor you own period" depending on whether you roll or not.

That being said the best armor in the game is clearly Alva's set, Lucatiel's set, and anything with the Hunter's or Durgo's Hat.

Hahah, what, are those last armor selections purely based on aesthetics?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Artificer posted:

Yes?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Like most timing in this game, it's a fixed frame count that doesn't change at higher framerates. poo poo gets a lot easier if you have something limit the game to 30 fps.

That makes sense, I guess. Hope it'll get patched soon, because 60 fps looks so good! Would simply changing my monitor refresh rate limit in-game fps, or do I need something more technical? Because I couldn't find any fps options in the menu. Edit: nevermind! It was slightly more technical, apparently.

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 17, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so i just got my first dose of pvp in this game in bellfry luna. Trying to go and kill the gargoyles there. PvP in this game sucks.

PvP in that area sucks in general is what I've noticed.

What's really great is when you get pulled in there to stop some dude from ringing the bell and surprise! He's infinite health cheating. :geno:

At least going through that area sometimes you'll get an AFK-er pulled in and you can just gently caress with them and/or kill the poo poo out of them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Artificer posted:

Confirmed Havel User right here.

Fashion Souls is the Only Souls.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

^ Best Souls without doubt ^

Artificer posted:

I love how you ignored the entire point of the orginal post of wearing what you think is cool :allears:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Color Printer posted:

PvP in that area sucks in general is what I've noticed.

What's really great is when you get pulled in there to stop some dude from ringing the bell and surprise! He's infinite health cheating. :geno:

At least going through that area sometimes you'll get an AFK-er pulled in and you can just gently caress with them and/or kill the poo poo out of them.

well it's loving retarded that you have to fight your way to a boss with 2 guys invading you.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of armour, is there anyway to get the red dragonrider armour or is the black version the only one available?

Sadly black verison only. At least it goes with the black shield.

edit: Whose dissing the durgo hat?

Motherfucker it has a eye goggle and feathers.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 17, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of fashion souls it drives me nuts that the dragon armor can't be taken off once you put it on without taking a running leap into the nearest fire lake. At least it's really good + also sexy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lunatic Sledge posted:

My what a coincidence, I just posted a video about the soul/hollow stuff and how it relates to game mechanics yesterday. I was probably talking out of my rear end for half of it, though.

So, greatbow talk: does anyone else use them? I find them delightful. I think the Alonne greatbow is the one I've been using, but I wasn't sure if any of the other (two?) greatbows are different/better in any substantial way.

I just want to say that I really, really enjoy your videos, and I hope you keep making them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of fashion souls it drives me nuts that the dragon armor can't be taken off once you put it on without taking a running leap into the nearest fire lake. At least it's really good + also sexy.

I might be able to write something to fix that... I'll take a look sometime.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

well it's loving retarded that you have to fight your way to a boss with 2 guys invading you.

Such is why the Lord God invented the offline version of Steam.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

God almighty, Bountiful Sunlight is the worst healing spell in the game.

Not only does it cost three slots, but you have to sit there like a dork for it to regenerate your allies. Or you can pop Soothing Sunlight.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

^ Best Souls without doubt ^

I love how you ignored the entire point of the orginal post of wearing what you think is cool :allears:

Just saying, I'm currently wearing the Lucatiel's armor with the Wanderer Boots. Alva set and Lucatiel's don't go too well together. :colbert:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How do people get miracles so early(without rolling cleric)? What weapons do you use and how do you deal with not having stat requirements for most items because you need to pump it to 22 faith which is pretty high. I've cleared the forest and beaten both bosses, and my next stop is dragonrider I believe in heides tower. I want to gut things with lightning spears and buff my weapons with lightning. Also where does one get a decent chime? I played DS1 but didn't use magic or miracles once, so I'm pretty lost on how it works.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I dunno if it's the area or if I'm the luckiest man alive but I've actually successfully defended Apostles as a Blue Sentinels 7-10 times now. I tend to get a lot of hits in the Aerie and in the Undead Crypt, for whatever reason :shrug:

Bob NewSCART posted:

How do people get miracles so early(without rolling cleric)? What weapons do you use and how do you deal with not having stat requirements for most items because you need to pump it to 22 faith which is pretty high. I've cleared the forest and beaten both bosses, and my next stop is dragonrider I believe in heides tower. I want to gut things with lightning spears and buff my weapons with lightning. Also where does one get a decent chime? I played DS1 but didn't use magic or miracles once, so I'm pretty lost on how it works.

If you start as a Cleric, your starting Mace can honestly stomp a mudhole in Heide's rear end right out the gate. You literally go STRAIGHT to the Miracle vendor from Majula. It's trivially easy, and no, 22 Faith actually isn't that high at all. Levels flow like candy in DS2. You'll hit level 54~ really fast in this game.

You won't get Sunlight Blade until near the end of the game though, that's kind of unavoidable. Fortunately the Lightning Spear variants, heals, and so on are more than sufficient to feel like a powerful dude. The starting Cleric Chime is fine for a good long while.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Internet Kraken posted:

I suppose. I don't like Way of the Blue either since it lacks an identity of its own. By joining it you pretty much declare "oh gosh I'm so weak and bad if only a big strong sentinel would come protect me! :swoon:". The covenant itself being completely passive doesn't help with that. I think it would be better if Way of the Blue had nothing to do with Sentinels. Instead, WoB members can either recieve help from other WoB members or aid them. The covenant would be a bunch of people banding together in defense against invasions, including Sentinel ones. Think then more people would be interested in it.

I've taken to joining the Way of the Blue on new characters (at least for NG) and I don't know that "oh I'm so weak I need help from the boys in blue" is how I really feel about it. Wearing the Delicate String makes it feel a little more "yes please do invade me :getin:"

Actually that might have been a better way to contextualize the covenant; instead of looking for help, they could have set it up more like you're setting a trap for gankers, kind of like a voluntary version of rat covenant invasions.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Just saying, I'm currently wearing the Lucatiel's armor with the Wanderer Boots. Alva set and Lucatiel's don't go too well together. :colbert:

I wasn't saying together, I meant those two sets in their entirety on their own were two of my favorites!

My favorite chop-shop fashion souls is probably something like the Falconer tunic, Hunter's Hat, and then various combinations of gloves and boots (Benhart's balance out the width of the tunic and stuff better than the Falconer set and give decent defense/poise, the Warrior gloves hard leather or whatever and black leather boots go well together as they both have an angled cut on the top of the gloves/boots, etc)

Dex life.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Hunters hat is the fedora of dark souls :colbert:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno if it's the area or if I'm the luckiest man alive but I've actually successfully defended Apostles as a Blue Sentinels 7-10 times now. I tend to get a lot of hits in the Aerie and in the Undead Crypt, for whatever reason :shrug:

If you start as a Cleric, your starting Mace can honestly stomp a mudhole in Heide's rear end right out the gate. You literally go STRAIGHT to the Miracle vendor from Majula. It's trivially easy, and no, 22 Faith actually isn't that high at all. Levels flow like candy in DS2. You'll hit level 54~ really fast in this game.

You won't get Sunlight Blade until near the end of the game though, that's kind of unavoidable. Fortunately the Lightning Spear variants, heals, and so on are more than sufficient to feel like a powerful dude. The starting Cleric Chime is fine for a good long while.

I'm already a few hours in and almost level 30 on a knight so I don't really want to reroll a cleric until I've beaten the game at least once with this dude, but id like to try miracles on him. Should I just spend this soul vessel and dump into faith until I'm at 22 and then make up for weapon requirements/enough(endurance?) to wear this drangelic set I just got.

Also do you guys use any graphic mods or something that limits the frame rate to 30? Because I heard having 60 frame rate fucks with the game in a lot of weird ways.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm already a few hours in and almost level 30 on a knight so I don't really want to reroll a cleric until I've beaten the game at least once with this dude, but id like to try miracles on him. Should I just spend this soul vessel and dump into faith until I'm at 22 and then make up for weapon requirements/enough(endurance?) to wear this drangelic set I just got.

Level 30 is literally nothing. Don't worry about it. Soul Vessel if you wanna be Miracle eligible earlier I suppose. Strength/Faith is pretty much how I beat the game so it's perfectly viable.

The idea is to get a bare minimum of Strength and Dex (say 20/13) for Claymore and Defender Greatsword, use a mace extensively, and otherwise dump a bunch of points into Vig/End/Vit/Faith/Att

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 18, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
/\/\ Do not be surprised if you end the game at SL 150. Levels are cheap as poo poo this time around, and there's literally no reason not to level up forever.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Confirmed Havel User right here.

Fashion Souls is the Only Souls.

Hey, Havel had a drat nice looking set of armor, and he was a drat fine man who knew the proper way to deal with magic.

The fact that it's been co-opted by, ugh, filthy casters makes me sick to my stomach frankly.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Nah, don't use that soul vessel yet. You'll easily be able to pick up the levels you need pretty soon. A good way to think about stats early in the game is that scaling is poo poo anyway, so just spend points on meeting requirements for things you want, or upgrading weapons, which is way more bang for buck in terms of damage anyway.

Another way of solving the Sentinels/Way problem is to just let Sentinels assist anyone who isn't in one of the invade-y covenants. Collapsing the two blue covenants would work too, though. It's all good. But either way, it'd be for naught if reds don't actually have the incentive/ability to invade regularly.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Benhart's boots are so simple yet stylish.

Invasion laughs: I was farming Heide knight stuff with bonfire ascetics at the first bonfire in Forest of Fallen Giggles. I was on NG++++ or something and halfway up the ladder to the knight when I got invaded. I slid down the latter, ran around the corner, and put my real armor on (I was wearing the prisoner's stuff for magic find). About 30 seconds after I kitted up, I saw the red phantom run past. He appeared unarmed.

I was wrong. He had (clearly cheated in) both illusory rings and two lightning Avelyn's. He also had the bat staff + dark fog.

I thought I might be hosed at first but I was able to just block all of his bolts and then stabbed him in the face while ignoring the poison completely.

You have to be a huge scrub to pull off BS like that and still completely fail to kill the person you invaded, especially when you are like 200 levels above them (he gave me over 100k souls when he died).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImPureAwesome posted:

Hunters hat is the fedora of dark souls :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I wasn't saying together, I meant those two sets in their entirety on their own were two of my favorites!

My favorite chop-shop fashion souls is probably something like the Falconer tunic, Hunter's Hat, and then various combinations of gloves and boots (Benhart's balance out the width of the tunic and stuff better than the Falconer set and give decent defense/poise, the Warrior gloves hard leather or whatever and black leather boots go well together as they both have an angled cut on the top of the gloves/boots, etc)

Dex life.

I chose Lucatiel's set because it looks drat good. Dragon Sage/Acolyte Mask because they look cool and cover up my face when I have the weird black/zombie face while human glitch. Wanderer Boots because they match well with Lucatiel's Set. Lion cuffs because they are light and look like bracelets.