Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Comrade Koba posted:

The Romans strike a deal with some of the samurai clans and pays them to fight each other. The consul in charge takes all the credit, gets awarded with a triumph and the title "Iaponicus". :hist101:

Some Yari foot soldier then states that they are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some Yari foot soldier then states that they are crazy.

Something, something, last Samurai village, Honda Tadakatsu...

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Was this posted here already? An analysis of the aftermath of Battle of Lützen, more precisely of the mass grave.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0178252

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Why isn't there a total war game where it's a map of the whole world except each faction is represented by its stereotypical "cool" time period? So it's navy seals vs redcoats vs samurai etc.

Someone make this game, I'm more of an ideas guy

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why isn't there a total war game where it's a map of the whole world except each faction is represented by its stereotypical "cool" time period? So it's navy seals vs redcoats vs samurai etc.

Someone make this game, I'm more of an ideas guy

It's called Dominions 4.

jk

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

When most people think of samurai they're imagining the Ashikaga/Sengoku period. Any samurai army at that time would probably annihilate a Roman legion simply due to technology. I don't think legions would be able to stand up to cannons and rotating volley fire from matchlock-armed infantry.
european pike and shot vs japanese pike and shot then?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Comrade Koba posted:

The Romans strike a deal with some of the samurai clans and pays them to fight each other. The consul in charge takes all the credit, gets awarded with a triumph and the title "Iaponicus". :hist101:

Tokugawa proclaimed Friend and Ally of the Roman People.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

Was this posted here already? An analysis of the aftermath of Battle of Lützen, more precisely of the mass grave.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0178252
some dudes in my company helped excavate that

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Tokugawa proclaimed Friend and Ally of the Roman People.

Honestly if Rome was there to employ listless Samurai as mercenaries I'd suspect the Roman Empire and Japan would get along fine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Char B1 in German service

Queue: Renault NC, Renault R40, 25 mm Hotchkiss gun, Renault D1, Renault D2, LT vz 35, Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, big guns for the KV-1, 122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, SU-26/T-26-6, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, PzVII Lowe, Marder II, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:

:ussr:

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101
Strv m/41

:poland:

:france:

:godwin:
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:

:jewish:

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 28, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

european pike and shot vs japanese pike and shot then?

now that would be something! what's your hot take, who'd win?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly I just find it funny to imagine what would happen in the first battle between a bunch of dudes with swords and naginatas and bows and cavalry and spears, versus a stereotypical roman cohort with big fuckoff scutae and javelins.

It would probably be quite confusing for both sides.

Both sides: "loving barbarians."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

now that would be something! what's your hot take, who'd win?
leaning towards european because the square formations seem stronger to me than those differently-shaped formations japanese infantry had. i am obviously missing something because i don't know why someone would do that or how they functioned

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Grevling posted:

It's called Dominions 4.

jk

Meet the mod scene. (This one's goon-made, as I recall.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Japanese only ever had matchlocks, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Meet the mod scene. (This one's goon-made, as I recall.)

This is me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does the one head have the other assassinated

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

The Japanese only ever had matchlocks, right?

so i've understood, but at one point they had more guns than the whole europe put together

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

so i've understood, but at one point they had more guns than the whole europe put together

During the Sengoku period they started manufacturing reversed engineered muskets based on Portugese designs. By the Imjin War they had the largest gunpowder army on the planet and adapted volley fire techniques from Chinese crossbow tactics.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I just finished Clausewitz's "On War", fun read, and it's got me in the mood to read a study of Napoleon's campaigns, particularly his campaigns in Germany. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Fangz posted:

Whatever became of that US marines vs Romans film?

Stuck in development hell where it belongs, but it might get released as some kind of low budget romantic comedy after about fifteen years worth of rewrites.

Sending an American back in time to Europe was the plot of the very first alternate history novel anyway, and if it has to be done again I'd rather just see a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The satire still holds up, and bitter, misanthropic Mark Twain is the best Mark Twain.

Although I'm not sure if something like this would translate to film.

quote:

I was gradually coming to have a mysterious and shuddery reverence for this girl; nowadays whenever she pulled out from the station and got her train fairly started on one of those horizonless transcontinental sentences of hers, it was borne in upon me that I was standing in the awful presence of the Mother of the German Language. I was so impressed with this, that sometimes when she began to empty one of these sentences on me I unconsciously took the very attitude of reverence, and stood uncovered; and if words had been water, I had been drowned, sure. She had exactly the German way; whatever was in her mind to be delivered, whether a mere remark, or a sermon, or a cyclopedia, or the history of a war, she would get it into a single sentence or die. Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last you are going to see of him till he emerges on the other side of his Atlantic with his verb in his mouth.”

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Owlkill posted:

You should indeed, this would be fascinating.

I concur please do

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can it be said that Romans had an industrial understanding of war, "we have reserves" and all that? Or were Legions more elite/less disposable than that?

It's kinda hard, after growing up in this culture, to understand that a country is mighty not because every last of their soldiers is a Space Marine, but because it can take loses, adapt, and come back for an another go. The adaptability that I mentioned is also something strange to get along with: the virtuous individualists win by Inventing stuff, not by stealing it from the enemy.

By the way, how much of a name/character/fame or whatever divisions had in WW1? It seems like they got ground up too fast for that, unlike WW2 and later divisions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
No, the legions were in no way disposable. The main Roman innovation, IMO, was to have a professional army training and active all year round, as opposed to pulling some folks off the fields, giving them some gear and promising to be back by harvest time. They supplemented the legions with more disposable auxiliaries, but in general a Roman defeat was a significant disaster.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

Can it be said that Romans had an industrial understanding of war, "we have reserves" and all that? Or were Legions more elite/less disposable than that?

It's kinda hard, after growing up in this culture, to understand that a country is mighty not because every last of their soldiers is a Space Marine, but because it can take loses, adapt, and come back for an another go. The adaptability that I mentioned is also something strange to get along with: the virtuous individualists win by Inventing stuff, not by stealing it from the enemy.

By the way, how much of a name/character/fame or whatever divisions had in WW1? It seems like they got ground up too fast for that, unlike WW2 and later divisions.

You can win wars with your guys being space marines if the war's over reasonably quickly. If you can storm into their capital and cause the government to collapse or inflict such enormous defeats it's politically impossible to argue they keep fighting, you still win. Just time isn't on your side.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fangz posted:

No, the legions were in no way disposable.

quote:

Publius Quinctilius Varus, give me back my legions!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

There was the Iron Regiment in the Serbian army. Milunka Savić was a member. Took 50% casualties including the deaths of all senior officers during the Balkan Wars, and gained fame/notoriety for taking some important hill and breaking the Bulgarian lines at the Battle of Bregalnica during the second one. Used to attack and defend critical points of the front during the opening battles of WW1, accomplished its objectives, but took massive casualties again, and lost its commanding officer again. The next commanding officer was the guy who recruited Flora Sandes into the regiment. The regiment served as the rearguard of the retreating army in 1915, holding off Bulgarian forces at Babuna pass, and being the last Serbian unit to leave Serbia. At the Salonika Front, took part in all the fighting, took the leading role during the fight for Bitolj/Monastir, and were later on among the troops that broke the Front and recaptured most of the cities in Serbia.

Our nationalists have a huge boner for them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In what ways could have Truman handled Stalin better than IOTL, given the start of the cold war, the lack of initial aggression over the formation of the eastern bloc, the massive Russian spy rings, leading to Soviet nukes, and of course, the Korean War?

Would it have been feasible to immediately start suspecting that there were indeed spy rings all over the intelligence system, and to let Hoover sick the FBI on every last communist or suspected spy in all levels of government?

How far back would you need to go to assure that Stalin would've been unable to make nukes during his time?

If the US had pressured the Soviets for more autonomy over the Eastern states in 1945, would it have produced better results than IOTL?

Could have the US been capable of aiding Chiang's government against Mao's forces, to the point of crushing them, if they wanted to?

And how could've the US avoided the Korean War and force a proper unification of the peninsula?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

There was the Iron Regiment in the Serbian army. Milunka Savić was a member. Took 50% casualties including the deaths of all senior officers during the Balkan Wars, and gained fame/notoriety for taking some important hill and breaking the Bulgarian lines at the Battle of Bregalnica during the second one. Used to attack and defend critical points of the front during the opening battles of WW1, accomplished its objectives, but took massive casualties again, and lost its commanding officer again. The next commanding officer was the guy who recruited Flora Sandes into the regiment. The regiment served as the rearguard of the retreating army in 1915, holding off Bulgarian forces at Babuna pass, and being the last Serbian unit to leave Serbia. At the Salonika Front, took part in all the fighting, took the leading role during the fight for Bitolj/Monastir, and were later on among the troops that broke the Front and recaptured most of the cities in Serbia.

Our nationalists have a huge boner for them.
wait, Sandes and Savich were in the same regiment? Owns.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghetto Prince posted:

Stuck in development hell where it belongs, but it might get released as some kind of low budget romantic comedy after about fifteen years worth of rewrites.

Sending an American back in time to Europe was the plot of the very first alternate history novel anyway, and if it has to be done again I'd rather just see a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The satire still holds up, and bitter, misanthropic Mark Twain is the best Mark Twain.

Although I'm not sure if something like this would translate to film.

Possibly my favorite thing about Mr Clemens was his love-hate relationship with German.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

In what ways could have Truman handled Stalin better than IOTL, given the start of the cold war, the lack of initial aggression over the formation of the eastern bloc, the massive Russian spy rings, leading to Soviet nukes, and of course, the Korean War?

Would it have been feasible to immediately start suspecting that there were indeed spy rings all over the intelligence system, and to let Hoover sick the FBI on every last communist or suspected spy in all levels of government?

How far back would you need to go to assure that Stalin would've been unable to make nukes during his time?

If the US had pressured the Soviets for more autonomy over the Eastern states in 1945, would it have produced better results than IOTL?

Could have the US been capable of aiding Chiang's government against Mao's forces, to the point of crushing them, if they wanted to?

And how could've the US avoided the Korean War and force a proper unification of the peninsula?

I'm not sure about most of this but really the largest foreign policy disaster of the US w.r.t China was blankly assuming the Communist bloc was monolithic; if the US had recognized China immediately and made the effort they could have potentially turned China into a western ally and opened up its markets in 1950 (also avoiding the GLF). Mao had to personally travel to the USSR and drag the Soviets kicking and screaming to sign the Sino-Russo Treaty of Friendship and even then got a terrible deal out of it; if the Americans can came hat full of money and industrial expertise in hand I think things go very much differently.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

A big question as well for me is "How long do they fight for? 30 years? A year? A battle?" Because arguably by the standards of the "vs" fights, Early Romans would "lose" to Carthage at sea, but over the course of the war the Romans figured out boats and how to out boat Carthage at boating and the rest is history. How come this never comes up in these hypotheticals, which side would adapt better to their new opponent?

Reminds me of a thing I read that apparently some Roman soldiers somehow made their way to China so you have digs that show signs of Roman engineering in traditionally Chinese settlements/forts. I want more of that, in what ways could you better combine certain armies together? Much like the idea that the Germans might have gotten a huge advantage in the Battle of Britain with a few squadrons of Japanese Zeroes.

The Roman soldiers in China thing is probably apocryphal... some remote outpost in China has some things, that if viewed in the right light, become vaguely Romanish. The legend is that Roman legionaries, captured at Carrhae by the Persians, are sold to the Chinese as mercenary/slaves, where they are used to garrison a remote outpost. A compelling story, yes. True? Far-fetched. Stranger things have happened I suppose, but documentary evidence is so hard to come by.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

It looks like you completely missed the point of why the Cold War was such a stupid poo poo show. By viewing it as a competition between two sides both the US and the USSR hosed up the world in terms of interfering in politics and the massive increase in nuclear weapons. For example, if the US decided to keep up diplomatic relations with Mao's china then they would never have allied with the USSR to the extent that they did. From this point everything goes into what ifs, but in general the world works better with multiple powers running around doing their own thing rather then having two great powers who almost by definition will clash with each other.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure about most of this but really the largest foreign policy disaster of the US w.r.t China was blankly assuming the Communist bloc was monolithic; if the US had recognized China immediately and made the effort they could have potentially turned China into a western ally and opened up its markets in 1950 (also avoiding the GLF). Mao had to personally travel to the USSR and drag the Soviets kicking and screaming to sign the Sino-Russo Treaty of Friendship and even then got a terrible deal out of it; if the Americans can came hat full of money and industrial expertise in hand I think things go very much differently.

At the same time, this was completely politically infeasible. People across the US were horrified of communists and communism (Especially the atheistic aspects), and were willing to do anything to combat it and get rid of it.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm going on a trip next week, this time to Helsinki:finland:

So far on my milhist-list I've got:

-Parola Tank Museum
-Military Museum (Sotamuseo)
-Mannerheim Museo (Will i see the fire direction fire-poker? :haw:)
-Suomenlinna island/fort

Is there anything I'm missing? Non-milhist recommendations are welcome too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At the same time, this was completely politically infeasible. People across the US were horrified of communists and communism (Especially the atheistic aspects), and were willing to do anything to combat it and get rid of it.

Also the Chiang Kai-shek government in exile had massive lobbying and other ties with the government - the "China Lobby"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Xerxes17 posted:

-Parola Tank Museum
-Suomenlinna island/fort

-The Parola Tank Museum is in Parola, near Hämeenlinna, which is about 100km from Helsinki.
-The fire-control poker is in Hämeenlinna, in the Museo Militaria, the combined artillery, military engineering, and signals museum by the literal Hämeen Linna ie. the medieval Häme Castle which you can also visit. There's also a meh prison museum near.
-The Mannerheim museum is in his Helsinki house and you might see his less famous fire-poker there.
-In Suomenlinna you should definitely visit Vesikko, the prototype for the IIA class German submarines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_submarine_Vesikko. You're in a bit too early to get to row the replica late 18th century Cannon Sloop Diana.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grouchio posted:

You have to go back before the Truman administration for sure. The Soviets already had most of the information they needed to at least build an atomic bomb by the time of Truman's inauguration. Even if they had no espionage input, it would never have stopped them from building one, it only would have slowed them down, and certainly not until '53.

Only two ways you could stop them from building a bomb: total war against the Soviet Union, or effective international control of all nuclear weapons, neither of which were politically acceptable to Congress.

quote:

What kind of pressure? Forcefulness would never have worked, it only would have convinced Stalin he did in fact need a western security curtain. Possibly you could convince them by extending massive financial assistance directly to the Soviet Union, but once again good loving luck convincing Congress to do that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chrysler, Marder II, Tiger #114, :godwin: AT guns, SU-122 competitors, Swedes 1928-1934

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Xerxes17 posted:

-Parola Tank Museum
-Suomenlinna island/fort

Suomenlinna also currently houses the main display of Sotamuseo, as its former main site was closed due to problems with air circulation.
Also, PM me if you want to know more of stuff to see around Helsinki, I live right next to it.