Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Squad chicken dinner last night with me and a random guy instigating 2-4 squads to fight eachother and then we'd slip away and kill the survivors while they were looting. Was fantastically hilarious since silencers really can confuse the gently caress out of people. Military base is such a fun cluster gently caress.

Last two guys we were able to kill while they were butt loving behind a tree. We had higher ground with a nice ridge we could peek over and had them hard pinned with our SRs.

6 grenades spammed at both sides of the tree and two dead guys for victory. My buddy wouldnt let me try to get the vehicle 20 yards behind us in blue to jump off the ridge and try to hit them. He was probably right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tweak posted:

I think the issue largely is like, why is Bluehole spending time (at whatever length it may be) trying to fix a problem they didn't create and bare really no responsibility for happening?

Again, they probably view Streamers as vital to the marketing of the game. SALES SALES SALES!

EDIT: Why do so many Chinese play on the American server?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Oh that is totally the reason, with maybe a splash of player unknown wanting to be friends with all the popular kids. Those reasons just don't come off great when worded into a TOS

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

daslog posted:

EDIT: Why do so many Chinese play on the American server?

friends and I noticed this earlier. NA server, but all Chinese names. is the server selector hosed up?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stream sniping partial solution: Let players toggle an option to mask their name in the kill feed. Stats et. all still track but the name becomes "PUBG Player' or whatever.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

Stream sniping partial solution: Let players toggle an option to mask their name in the kill feed. Stats et. all still track but the name becomes "PUBG Player' or whatever.

I think this is actually fair enough, but there's an argument to be made that you could do away with killfeed in its entirety then, because it'd be actively detrimental to show your name. I suppose that could in turn be circumvented by just naming everyone Player 1-100 so a similar amount of information can be gleaned from the kill feed as is currently possible, without knowing who each player is.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Parallel Playa posted:

I think this is actually fair enough, but there's an argument to be made that you could do away with killfeed in its entirety then, because it'd be actively detrimental to show your name. I suppose that could in turn be circumvented by just naming everyone Player 1-100 so a similar amount of information can be gleaned from the kill feed as is currently possible, without knowing who each player is.

Killfeed is really good for knowing when you knocked part of a team vs wiping one though?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Killfeed is really good for knowing when you knocked part of a team vs wiping one though?

Assigning players numbers 1-100 solves it entirely though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah it can still show you your own name in the killfeed when you kill someone.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just a heads up, Bluehole doesn't understand how morality works, their company was created by disgruntled NCSoft employees who stole trade secrets. They're tweets are Trump level bad with better grammar.

My idea to solve the "streamer" crisis is to force all of the streamers into streamer lobbies where they only play with other streamers. Also, they should wear some sort of star on their chest.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^^^

o_O

Pussy Quipped posted:

Assigning players numbers 1-100 solves it entirely though.

Sure, but I like laughing at the names of people I kill and I think killing Player 82 isn't that fun or interesting or personal. The ability to toggle it does solve the stream sniping issue though

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Yes. But, as it stands, it's useful in many more ways than just that. If you could opt in and out of showing your name, no one would show it because it'd be actively detrimental (leaving only the use you described in play, really). As said though, assigning numbers would solve it entirely (edit:) but as you said, it would be more boring. My point is that the kill feed has multiple uses at this point and I think getting rid of the possibility to recognise players within a single game would be a shame - which is what an option where names are uniformly shown as PUBG Player would inevitably lead to.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

It should just assign randomly generated captcha strings or whatever they use to do the filenames of .webm .

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I don't think it's worth it, seeing the names is cool. Streamers can just pick something generic as their name.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I don't think it's worth it, seeing the names is cool. Streamers can just pick something generic as their name.

As long as you can't change your name on the fly, they'd have to hide every instance in which their name is shown though. Perhaps that would be the ultimate fix? Just being able to change your name every game?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm just going to join and quit repeatedly until I'm player 69.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Had a duo game last night. Looting outside the first zone with the blue on the way, but we didn't find a car so we're hoofing it the best we can. Out of nowhere both of us instantly die and our limp bodies rocket across the vaguely Russian landscape. Completely scared the poo poo out of both of us because it was so sudden. Our death messages stated we died from falling and a buggy zoomed past our death screens. I... guess the buggy hit and killed us both instantly? But we didn't hear ANYTHING unless they added electric cars to the game and I didn't notice.

Is this one of those "Oh well, it's Early Access!" moments?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Solution - A backstory is added for 100 different people all with unique names, so you are assigned the name of one of the 100 battle royal characters. Don't worry about making player model gender and name gender match. I can't wait to read the back story off all 100 characters.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

You're interacting with the people donating to get their kappa on the screen read outloud or their subs shouted out not the freeloaders spamming kappa in chat.

I remember that time I donated to a streamer because my life was so pathetic it was worth $50 just to hear a random nerd on YouTube say my name but I got really mad because he didn't say it within 2 minutes of me giving said donation. Man what a day that was.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ChesterJT posted:

I remember that time I donated to a streamer because my life was so pathetic it was worth $50 just to hear a random nerd on YouTube say my name but I got really mad because he didn't say it within 2 minutes of me giving said donation. Man what a day that was.

Well I'm gonna have to triple my citalopram dosage now.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

It's real cool that I can be on the other side of a 12 foot concrete wall from the person shooting at me and get hit by every bullet they fire.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Is this one of those "Oh well, it's Early Access!" moments?

Yeah, buggies can glitch and not make any noise. Sucks but it happens.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

You seem kinda mad about something related to streamers tbh but I have no idea what

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Also, getting really tired of being punched to death from 10-15 feet away.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

W'eve basically got the right idea here. Make it an option to give you a random "Player 1-100" name each game you join. I can still join games as DongMcChickenFucker if I want to, and Shroud can have a randomized name every game when he doesn't want snipers.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You seem kinda mad about something related to streamers tbh but I have no idea what

It's like he's inferring that all streamers are looking for hand outs to help raise their babies... Weird. Just weird and completely unfounded.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Donate :10bux: to me and I'll quote one of your posts

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Willfrey posted:

Donate :10bux: to me and I'll quote one of your posts

Notice me, senpai!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

No anger there, incredulity maybe at how gullible people are with their money and at people defending streamers like they're some kind of protected class or something.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2CLTxJrVI
airplanes are fun

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
or just don't do anything because anyone who streams who complains about being stream sniped is a loving idiot whiny cry baby bitch

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

or just don't do anything because anyone who streams who complains about being stream sniped is a loving idiot whiny cry baby bitch

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's like he's inferring that all streamers are looking for hand outs to help raise their babies... Weird. Just weird and completely unfounded.

No you see reading someones username and how much money they gave you or how long theyve been giving you money is Community Interaction

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Apparently I haven't read this thread all week, so I'm resurrecting this from 6 pages ago.

I'm still getting used to low sensitivity, I spent about 10 years on mid-high sensitivity. Sometimes I wonder how much better I would have been at the games I was already great at if I used low sensitivity.

My problem has been that I had maybe 8" of room for my mouse. I think I've got a smaller keyboard somewhere around here. I already can't clear houses nearly as well as I would like.

I have a ton of trouble rapidly tap firing. When I try I miss every shot at 50m. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Fighting recoil too much? Not enough? I pretty much never use the SKS because of it.

I'm probably playing some duos with my brother soon, I'll see if I can use him for target practice in the lobby.

Do whatever you've got to do to get room to move your mouse around. I used a desk cover at one point that was bigger than my desk to get more room. at minimum you want about 20" of horizontal space.

SKS has ridiculous recoil unless fully upgraded.

You get a feel for which guns you can slam fire as fast as possible and which you can't. There's a gradient as well: M16/scar/m4 you can fire very quickly once you've got a few attachments. Once you have the compensator you can crank it up another degree. I know most people go nuts over suppressors, but AR compensators are better than suppressors 90% of the time, they're probably the best item in the game.

Something you can do that will help you get a feel is to fire a magazine or two at full speed into a wall periodically from 30 meters out. Do it slower until you are controlling the shots into a person sized area. Boom, you've found the magic speed you should be hammering the fire button at. Personally I notice that speed will feel slightly uncontrolled, but 80%+ of the shots are hitting so you just win the fight in 5-10 shots. Ideally, start every fight with a headshot and then finish them with bodyshots.

Using a scope you're comfortable with for the relevant distance helps a ton, too. Using a 4x up close is going to get you killed.

E: When you're in a fight, fire a lot of loving bullets. If it takes 5 hits to kill them and you're firing 1 shot a second, at best you're going to kill them in 5 seconds. If you're firing 5 a second, at best you're going to kill them in 1 second, though realistically even if you miss half, you've already killed them in 2 seconds. Don't start a fight with wild shots, but once you've started, fuckit throw some low percentage shots at them, you have nothing to lose and you probably loot goblined 300+ rounds of ammo anyways. If you don't shoot you can't get the kill.

Example: shot some guy in a vehicle 4 times as he was driving by. He went up into the trees a few hundred meters away and was swerving, but knowing generally where he was I spammed 10 shots at him... and got a lucky kill. That poo poo only works 1/10 times, but it adds up.

There are other reasons you want to fire a lot at people (like so they are pinned down while your team mate flanks them and gets an angle on them, which you should be doing in 100% of fights). Conversely, if you have no good way to confirm the kill, cut your losses and get the gently caress out of there. Someone else will probably be coming to investigate all the shooting.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Wait what am i saying, just watch how shroud shoots people and copy that

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Daaaaang.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

No anger there, incredulity maybe at how gullible people are with their money and at people defending streamers like they're some kind of protected class or something.

People are stupid with their money?? No way dude! What other money wastes trigger you? I've given 0 money to streamers. I don't give a gently caress if someone gives money to a streamer. I think eventually, twitch will become an alternative to cable TV when everything becomes apps not channels and people will use it just like they use netflix. The youth already do. Its interesting to me in a broader financial sense but I don't care about any streamers personally.

nerve posted:

No you see reading someones username and how much money they gave you or how long theyve been giving you money is Community Interaction

seems to be working? I don't know its not enough for me to donate money but it is for a LOT of people. Shrouds pulling in almost 200k a monthhhhh from subs alone jesus christ talk about blasting off to a new tax bracket

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm sorry you aren't the thread champion you thought you'd be when you made this thread and put in all those personal youtube videos in between telling everyone how bad they are and how top 1 you and you're friends are :/ You should get a webcam and start streaming

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Do whatever you've got to do to get room to move your mouse around. I used a desk cover at one point that was bigger than my desk to get more room. at minimum you want about 20" of horizontal space.

SKS has ridiculous recoil unless fully upgraded.

You get a feel for which guns you can slam fire as fast as possible and which you can't. There's a gradient as well: M16/scar/m4 you can fire very quickly once you've got a few attachments. Once you have the compensator you can crank it up another degree. I know most people go nuts over suppressors, but AR compensators are better than suppressors 90% of the time, they're probably the best item in the game.

Something you can do that will help you get a feel is to fire a magazine or two at full speed into a wall periodically from 30 meters out. Do it slower until you are controlling the shots into a person sized area. Boom, you've found the magic speed you should be hammering the fire button at. Personally I notice that speed will feel slightly uncontrolled, but 80%+ of the shots are hitting so you just win the fight in 5-10 shots. Ideally, start every fight with a headshot and then finish them with bodyshots.

Using a scope you're comfortable with for the relevant distance helps a ton, too. Using a 4x up close is going to get you killed.

E: When you're in a fight, fire a lot of loving bullets. If it takes 5 hits to kill them and you're firing 1 shot a second, at best you're going to kill them in 5 seconds. If you're firing 5 a second, at best you're going to kill them in 1 second, though realistically even if you miss half, you've already killed them in 2 seconds. Don't start a fight with wild shots, but once you've started, fuckit throw some low percentage shots at them, you have nothing to lose and you probably loot goblined 300+ rounds of ammo anyways. If you don't shoot you can't get the kill.

Example: shot some guy in a vehicle 4 times as he was driving by. He went up into the trees a few hundred meters away and was swerving, but knowing generally where he was I spammed 10 shots at him... and got a lucky kill. That poo poo only works 1/10 times, but it adds up.

There are other reasons you want to fire a lot at people (like so they are pinned down while your team mate flanks them and gets an angle on them, which you should be doing in 100% of fights). Conversely, if you have no good way to confirm the kill, cut your losses and get the gently caress out of there. Someone else will probably be coming to investigate all the shooting.

I don't see any practical way to get 20" with the way my desk and living room is set up. I've got about 12" now, which is way better than before. I just have to get used to the key feel on this new keyboard.

I rarely find compensators, that might have to do with it. I also am terrible about switching to a lower magnification gun on the fly so I end up using a 4x at what's probably too close of a range. I nearly lost a game because I was trying to get a guy zooming around the circle in a UAZ with my mini 14 and a 4x rather than pulling out my SCAR with a red dot and lighting the car up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What does view distance affect? I lowered it all the way and how far I can see into the distance doesn't change. Raised it back to ultra and everything still looks the same. Does it only affect players in the distance? It feels like the view distance option doesn't do anything right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

What does view distance affect? I lowered it all the way and how far I can see into the distance doesn't change. Raised it back to ultra and everything still looks the same. Does it only affect players in the distance? It feels like the view distance option doesn't do anything right now

Unless they changed it it mostly affects model view distance. It's most easily noticeable on the plane, with a lower view distance you just see land instead of trees and buildings.

• Locked thread