Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
What legpads would you guys recommend to replace my beat-to-hell 2004 Mission Motion Lites for a guy that plays strictly roller? I am, like all students, poor as gently caress. Goaliemonkey has the RBK 6K set for $287.95, which would be a hell of a steal for legpads, blocker, and catcher. Anyone used the 6k's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have the 6k.. been playing roller for a year and a half and ice for a few months. I usually play 1-4 times a week. The pads are great, although durability is an issue. Also I hate the glove. I expect to get another year or two out of my pads, however I will be replacing my glove soon.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

gco posted:

UnmaskedGremlin, Valiquette's camp starts tomorrow and I expect to see you there during our lunch break at least once. :colbert: We're off the ice at 12 and get back on at...2:30(?) and it's only until Thursday.

So Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday? I'll try if I can get outta here. I've only been able to take about 50% of my lunches the last couple weeks we're so busy.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Woooo! Came away from the Men's Ultimate Challenge in PA with an A-division gold medal this weekend. There were a lot of Division I college players there, and the team that we played in the finals game even had a guy on their roster that spent 5 seasons in the AHL; I have bruises on my bicep, pectoral, and abs that prove it. I love my 3-year-old 992, but drat did those shots sting.

The tournament was a total blast. Free food, free beer on tap, and a ton of buddies to hang out with and watch play, all day for 3 days. You really couldn't really ask for more.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

So Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday? I'll try if I can get outta here. I've only been able to take about 50% of my lunches the last couple weeks we're so busy.

Yeah we get off of our first sheet of ice at 12, then it's lunch and we watch videos upstairs from 12:45-1:45, then back on the ice at 2:30. From 12-12:45, if you want to find Steve, though, he's ducking down in his quarters until the video/talk. So depending on what you want to see and assuming you can get lunch at varying times, that's pretty much going to be the structure of the camp.

Today was really great, we focused mostly on moving from place to place and taking shots from various spots and finishing the play. What I really enjoy about this camp is that the shooters are encouraged to fire away with the puck in play until it's frozen or in the net; it really gives a feel for game situations, so you can really apply what he's teaching.

One thing he specifically talked to me about is knee spins (pretty much the emphasized thing in titanium's videos a few months back). Everyone was doing them wrong or just neglecting to do it in general and making a wide retarded outwards C-step (this was me) so we'll be doing drills on improving it. When he was tutoring me on it and I tried to do it and ended up going no where I attempted to defend myself saying that the ice was really torn up (which it really was) but he didn't have a problem calling me out on it and telling me, "no, it's just your technique."

Anyway, next few days should kick rear end; I've been waiting all loving summer for this camp.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Usually I take lunch from 12:30 to 1, but I'll see if I can sneak out a little early tomorrow.

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Usually I take lunch from 12:30 to 1, but I'll see if I can sneak out a little early tomorrow.

OK, cool, if you want to meet me I'll be in the only orange pads on the ice and off the ice I'll be wearing a sleveless University of Connecticut shirt. Feel free to walk up from behind me and scare the poo poo out of me or simply ask me if I have stairs in my house.

Anyway, day 2 of camp: funniest poo poo ever. We have some figure skaters on the ice before we go on (right before, we don't even get a clean ice wtf) so there's one figure skater left and Valiquette goes out there and does some twirls to the music and does that leg parallel to the ice thing.

Today was a good workout, mostly beat the pass (butterfly block slides) and behind the net plays, not much to say except my quads are killing me but it hurts so good.

And here's a pic of me with Steve, who is pointing at something, I forget what.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I played again on Saturday night and I could barely walk afterwards. I also managed to sprain my wrist while playing Friday, it's not too bad, but it's annoying none-the-less. At least, I feel like I am back on track now and I even managed to pull off a pretty cool two-pad stack on Saturday night.

How about that Defense last night? :haw:

Breakaway, shot, score. Rinse and repeat.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

How about that Defense last night? :haw:

Breakaway, shot, score. Rinse and repeat.

There was defense? How did I miss that? Are you thinking about playing on Sunday?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

There was defense? How did I miss that? Are you thinking about playing on Sunday?

I'm playing 3 x 3 at 6:15 on Sunday. If there's only one goalie, I'll hop over to the other ice when I'm done since we only get an hour for the 3 x 3.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm playing 3 x 3 at 6:15 on Sunday. If there's only one goalie, I'll hop over to the other ice when I'm done since we only get an hour for the 3 x 3.

Sounds good.

gco
May 8, 2007

So I had a "warmup skate" this morning at a private rink and the place was incredible. The guy that owns and maintains it spends ridiculous amounts of money on priceless hockey memorabilia. Apparently the Hockey Hall of Fame wanted something of his that he had but he wouldn't give it up.

Anyway, I talked to one of the guys that works there and he told me that some of the NHL players that live around here (St. Louis, Shannon...) come and play a pick-up game once a week during the summer and I might be able to play with them. I've never actually played with current NHLers before so this'll be pretty amazing if it pans out.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

gco posted:

Anyway, I talked to one of the guys that works there and he told me that some of the NHL players that live around here (St. Louis, Shannon...) come and play a pick-up game once a week during the summer and I might be able to play with them. I've never actually played with current NHLers before so this'll be pretty amazing if it pans out.

If you do, have someone take some pictures and post those mother fuckers. I'd love to have some pictures of NHL stars lighting me up.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to the Sunday night open hockey at the Ice Den, I signed in, went to the dressing room, and started unpacking my gear only to realize that I left my cup at home. I could have gone back and got or had my brother bring my cup over to the rink, but there were already two other goalies there, so I decided to cut my losses and just rest tonight.

It's annoying, because I went out on Saturday and bought athletic tape and underwrapping so that I could tape up my wrist, which has been bothering me for the past two weeks, and after going through all of that effort to make sure that my wrist would be secured, I left my cup sitting in the garage.

Oh well, there was a time when I would have likely tried to play without a cup, but after making that mistake playing street/roller hockey, I didn't want to find out what would happen on ice.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I went to the Sunday night open hockey at the Ice Den, I signed in, went to the dressing room, and started unpacking my gear only to realize that I left my cup at home. I could have gone back and got or had my brother bring my cup over to the rink, but there were already two other goalies there, so I decided to cut my losses and just rest tonight.

It was packed tonight. I finished up with 3 on 3 and went to the other rink and there were 4 goalies and two full benches. Looks like they were letting in more skaters than they should.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

It was packed tonight. I finished up with 3 on 3 and went to the other rink and there were 4 goalies and two full benches. Looks like they were letting in more skaters than they should.

A lot of people started showing up around the time when I left, so it sounds like I didn't miss too much tonight.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco, sorry I never made it, work, of course, was crazy all last week. if it was today, I've got zero going on, I could've been there.

If that NHLer pickup game happens, and its around here, I'll be happy to come and take some pics if I'm around.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

My new RBK 6k's came.

I went from this set:

To this:

For $340 shipped. Goaliemonkey clearance owns.

My god, if I never have to see those drat Missions again I will be so happy.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
drat I paid 550 last year for pads, blocker, and catch.

.....mannn.. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's a good looking set. What glove were you playing with before? Was that a 7K?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
The glove sucks, but thats just my opinion.

..maybe I just suck with the glove? Everyone always comments on how nice my pads are (I have the 6k too) and I always reply with: "It was the cheapest stuff I could find at the time..". People are usually surprised. The durability just isn't in those pads.. still nice though.

My first ice season is over... we went 7-7.. and lost in the first round of the playoffs. I noticed how much better I got at playing goal in those short amount of games.. I have increased leaps and bounds. Time to hit up some open ice and sign up for subs until winter league starts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think there's a huge step up in quality from any manufacturer's "entry" product to their "intermediate" product. Not to detract from the entry lines, they definitely serve their purpose and at $340 it's a no brainer if you're stepping up from equipment you don't like.

Some people say the same about the step up between an intermediate product and the pro stock, but honestly I found the differences between my 8k and PS2 pads were almost all durability related. By which I mean the PS2s are made of poo poo that will take a beating for the next ten years, and my 8k'll be retired with foam sticking out every which way by 2012 likely.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I got my bell rung pretty well for the first time last night by some guy who plays juniors. It was a slapshot from the top of the circle and definitely one of the harder shots I've ever faced. I thought my Itech Widowmaker (tm) may have given out, but it just undid the velcro holding the chin cup in place. I didn't die, and it didn't really hurt once my ears stopped ringing :woop:

Even with a month of no ice time, I am getting pretty comfortable doing butterfly slides both ways while warming up. Too bad I still have no idea when I need to be doing them in real time game situations vs. when I have time to T-push. I tend to T-push halfway over and then sprawl awkwardly into something that definitely isn't a butterfly slide. Doing some of the skating drills from the goalie school videos one of you guys posted months ago is helping a lot (the whole "snap, hybrid, go" or whatever with some time in-between each step to make sure the form is OK).

I only had two terribly embarassing goals: one I put into my own net trying to sweep a bouncing puck back in to cover.. caught the bottom edge of the puck and knocked it right around my left toe. (In the future I'll probably just bat it into the corner) and one I let in because I thought the blue jersey was on the black team not the white team. :sigh: I wish I had more than one pickup game a week, but the one a week has had at least 14 skaters since they restarted it, so I can't complain too much.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 6, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of getting your bell rung, I was "run" in the crease tonight by a guy who couldn't stop. Didn't hurt me but he did hit my head and caught the chin of my helmet, pulling it off.

I'm scrambling to get it put on and these jerks are still playing around my net.

GOALIE WITHOUT A loving MASK MEANS YOU STOP PLAYING, RETARDS. I love playing here and everyone's super nice, but seriously, some people have no common sense.

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of getting your bell rung, I was "run" in the crease tonight by a guy who couldn't stop. Didn't hurt me but he did hit my head and caught the chin of my helmet, pulling it off.

I'm scrambling to get it put on and these jerks are still playing around my net.

GOALIE WITHOUT A loving MASK MEANS YOU STOP PLAYING, RETARDS. I love playing here and everyone's super nice, but seriously, some people have no common sense.

I think you're from the future. Goalies don't wear masks unless they're weaklings.

ManicJason, it should be known that juniors are loving headhunters. Every shot they take is going to be upstairs or trying to get one off the post and in. That's why a poke check rarely fails because they're so busy trying to roof it to light you up that they don't see you've left your 5-hole wide open while pushing your stick into the puck and now oops now they don't have the puck.

Slides should be used against someone that's in really close to the crease and you're supposed to put your glove down right above your pad and squeeze your arms into your sides so you're covering up any holes, referred to as a 'butterfly block'. This makes you a wall with no holes and if you moved to the right place in the slide and the guy's only opportunity is to shoot, there's no way the puck is getting in the net. You really need to see someone do it and have the perspective of the shooter to realize how big a goalie looks when he does that, as I was skeptical at first, but it's actually hard enough for shooters to get it over the 11" of the pad as it is but now directly above the pad is the glove and blocker on their respective sides.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

The best is during warm-ups when you pull your mask up to get a drink. Also, when you turn around to get the pucks out of the net and people shoot them into your legs/back.. oh yeah.. they feel good.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

gco posted:

ManicJason, it should be known that juniors are loving headhunters. Every shot they take is going to be upstairs or trying to get one off the post and in. That's why a poke check rarely fails because they're so busy trying to roof it to light you up that they don't see you've left your 5-hole wide open while pushing your stick into the puck and now oops now they don't have the puck.
This guy is actually a pretty savvy player. He was drilling shots in right along the ice vs. another goalie who was playing less butterfly. I'm a small dude, so I get all the shoulder/mask saves.

Also, I know exactly when to use bf-slides in theory. What I was saying is that I rarely make those decisions correctly at game speed.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

The glove was an RBK 5k. I liked the shape, but the condition I got it in was pretty terrible. It was less crusty than the Bauer I was using so it got the nod.

Martytoof posted:

I think there's a huge step up in quality from any manufacturer's "entry" product to their "intermediate" product. Not to detract from the entry lines, they definitely serve their purpose and at $340 it's a no brainer if you're stepping up from equipment you don't like.
Equipment I didn't like and that actively made me miserable. The landing gear on the Missions was so broken down that it had the consistency of a down pillow, meaning all the shock from butterflying was transferring directly to the side of my kneecap.

This was literally the best purchase I think I have ever made. Durability be damned.

What I learned: Don't attempt to play goal on the cheap. There is a reason nice stuff costs money.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Use loctite on all the screws in your leg pads. Within the first three times using the pads, the screws in my toe-ties were coming undone. Some of my leg straps are missing screws and I had to hold them together with lots and lots of dental floss before a game.. I am too lazy to find the screws at Home Depot apparently though.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Dammit. :mad: There's a guy in the league here who is notorious for throwing the puck upstairs on breakaways, and I'm having such a hard time defending it. Each time, he goes really wide to my left (he's a righty), like he's going to try and go cross crease. Since I see him going in so deep, I start backing my left side against the post and wait for a possible stick check. However, just before he gets in range for a stick check, he swings laterally, in front of the defensive faceoff circle. Now I'm too far back in my crease, and with what can only be described as Datsyuk-like finesse, he keeps his stick dragging behind him as he moves laterally and then roofs the puck in and over my left shoulder. Every, loving, time.

I mean I can't feel too terrible about it; he's ridiculously good, and makes a fool of players and goalies alike with his speed. But seriously... how do you defend against something like that?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Hazed_blue posted:

Dammit. :mad: There's a guy in the league here who is notorious for throwing the puck upstairs on breakaways, and I'm having such a hard time defending it. Each time, he goes really wide to my left (he's a righty), like he's going to try and go cross crease. Since I see him going in so deep, I start backing my left side against the post and wait for a possible stick check. However, just before he gets in range for a stick check, he swings laterally, in front of the defensive faceoff circle. Now I'm too far back in my crease, and with what can only be described as Datsyuk-like finesse, he keeps his stick dragging behind him as he moves laterally and then roofs the puck in and over my left shoulder. Every, loving, time.

I mean I can't feel too terrible about it; he's ridiculously good, and makes a fool of players and goalies alike with his speed. But seriously... how do you defend against something like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg

Grumblingcat
Feb 26, 2009

I played in an adult league back in CT where this one dude would run me every time I played his team. He'd come wide on the left then try to race you across the crease, only he'd just run right into you every time. One game he did it and cut through my Whaler's jersey and into my arm padding. Big mistake. Next time he came down to run me I flew out with a stacked pad save right into his legs while he was making the turn. I get up ready for a scuffle of some sort and it turns out he's knocked out on the ice, his stick is snapped in half, and the net is touching the back boards. He hasn't run me since.

The man just didn't know how hard it was to get those Whaler jerseys...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yo, so here's a tip:

HYDRATE.

The last two weeks I started downing fluids the day of the game. Much more than usual. Coincidentally or not, the last two weeks have been the best games I've played in a long long while.

And I don't just mean take a drink when you get to the rink. Start at least four hours beforehand. Give your body time to hydrate. You'll probably piss like a racehorse but I think it'll pay off.

I mean this may be SUPER obvious to some of you, but my hydration was really lacking. I'd maybe drink a cup of tea in the morning and maybe one more at lunch and basically go dry until gametime in the evening. Terrible.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 11, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Hydration is pretty drat important. What I do is I try to drink a lot of water for the 24 hours leading up to the game and then I stop drinking water about 45 minutes before I play. During the game I'll drink water or switch off between water and Gatorade to stay hyrdrated. Though to be fair between living in Arizona and knowing someone who was chronically afflicted with Kidney Stones, I tend to drink a lot of water anyway.

Actually, when I used to work at a library, I would see how much water I could drink during a shift as a way to keep myself occupied. I don't know what my overall record was for a day, but I can assure that drinking a 1.5 litre bottle in less than 5 minutes is not a good idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's me, I'm the kidney stones goalie :(

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Hydration was one lesson I learned pretty quickly. I still don't understand how other goalies can play a full game or open practice without any water at all. I stay away from caffeine (other than the occasional pre-game 5-hour energy shot) the day I'm playing and try to drink lots of water all day before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I was never someone who went an entire game without drinking but now I actually remind myself to take a drink whenever there's a stoppage in play.

I don't avoid caffeine before the game since my Tea habit rivals most cokeheads', but I've been trying to balance it out with a lot of water. I'll usually down most of a red bull before heading out on the ice since I play so late -- it helps me keep alert. I might not need it but I've been taking them for a while now so it's probably more routine/superstition at this point. Drinking before the game has been my main improvement and it's paid off in spades. I don't understand how it technically works but my muscles hurt less, I don't get as tired quickly, and I generally recover a lot faster from a series of quick moves. I'm not sure if I can attribute that to my new water regime, but the fact that it's turned around 100% the last two games that I played on water is more than enough proof for me.

Now that I think about it, there were actually games where I'd take two drinks in an hour. Not sure how that worked :pwn:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Hydration was one lesson I learned pretty quickly. I still don't understand how other goalies can play a full game or open practice without any water at all. I stay away from caffeine (other than the occasional pre-game 5-hour energy shot) the day I'm playing and try to drink lots of water all day before.

What I hate are the games where the pace of the game makes it difficult, if not impossible to get a drink during the game and as soon as you get a stoppage in play, you'll have some high schooler banging his stick on the ice and wanting to get a couple of shots on goal. Sometimes, I'm not sure if I play goalie because I love playing hockey or because I hate forwards.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Some light reading for you guys on the importance of fluid intake;

http://englandhockey.co.uk/page.asp?section=00010001000900060003&search=hydration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

What I hate are the games where the pace of the game makes it difficult, if not impossible to get a drink during the game and as soon as you get a stoppage in play, you'll have some high schooler banging his stick on the ice and wanting to get a couple of shots on goal. Sometimes, I'm not sure if I play goalie because I love playing hockey or because I hate forwards.

Yeah, this is the worst. Not necessarily because of the highschooler for me but because even after one of us lets in a goal, the guys all want to start playing again as soon as the puck is out of the net. This usually means I have like five seconds to drink if I really rush it. This last game I started turning around and visibly standing to one side of the net when I'm taking a drink just to give the message not to shoot on me. In all honesty they can keep playing as long as they're not directing pucks at me. I'm not sure if standing backwards to the play is the smartest thing I've ever done, but I need to give some kind of sign that says BRB BUSY DRINKING without going to the bench.

Zip! posted:

Some light reading for you guys on the importance of fluid intake;

http://englandhockey.co.uk/page.asp?section=00010001000900060003&search=hydration

Added to the OP, thanks!

• Locked thread