Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
If they are going to raise the price to 15, I just want better figures. Better paint apps, better sculpts, and give me some accessories drat it. Doesn't have to be a huge improvement, but give me something. They just don't feel they are worth the money at this point, despite how much I really like some of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

But PINS man!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Boy new Q&As are going up and you can tell the difference between Mattel and Hasbro. Every Mattel one gives actual answers or if they can't tell the answer exactly they at least tell when you will know it. Also they give details and actual sentences.

Hasbro on the other hand is all "We have no plans for this at present." or "We will reveal X in the future." Hell on a few of them all you get is "No."

Their current luck is their own making and it couldn't happen to a worse company. Only things keeping them afloat at the moment is licensing and board game and baby items which have always been reliably strong. If it is made for someone over 5, it is tanking. They spent all the money on the Marvel license and haven't made a dime. They lost tons of money for the last two summers, Indy4 lost them a ton of cash and GI Joe looks to lose even more for them. If you read their Annual Report for 2008 they basically say that they are going to focus on their own properties for 2009 since they are more profitable, but if they movies suck and the economy is bad we are going to lose our shirt. Guess what happened?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Both the movies made money (TF especially, yowza!) but I guess no one is buying the dolls.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The transformers stuff is too expensive. You could argue that DCUC can get away with $15 because it's more for adult collectors, but the transformers movie stuff is almost entirely aimed at kids. No kid or parent is going to want to spend $17 on each individual character.

GI Joe actually has been selling OK since it got knocked down to $5 a figure. I've even picked a couple up at that price just because they looked cool or had a ton of accessories, and I know gently caress all bout GI Joe. A lot of adult oldschool GI Joe collectors really didn't like the movie line, though, so maybe without their contribution to the sales, it didn't do as well as Hasbro hoped.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Personally I'm cool with the Transformers prices and upset with the DCUC prices. But I'm a collector, can't speak for the mom consumer. \/:)\/

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well you can argue that a Transformer for 15 dollars is a much better deal than a 15 DCUC or ML figure. The Transformer comes with a bunch of cool weapons and whatnot and is something that turns into a robot. That alone is worth hours and hours of playtime to a child as I can atest to from growing up in the 80s. The DCUC/ML figure just stands there, most of the time comes with nothing but a stand/BAF part and you need several to get any actual playing done with it as a child.

No parent is going to spend at minimum 30+ dollars on 2 figures for a kid. That same money you can get a ton of other stuff that is more fun and a better value. It is just like comics targeted to children, you think a kid is going to want to spend 5 bucks on a 22 page comic?

The comic and toy industry has become increasingly collector dependent which is part good and part bad. While we are getting the best quality stuff ever, the people making them know that mainly adult collectors are buying the product so they price it accordingly.

While this is possible now, lets look 10 years in the future. The last generation of kids weren't raised on >$1.00 comics that you could get from any drug store. My niece spends 8 bucks on a manga at Barnes and Noble which has like 200 pages and takes her 2 weeks to read. She looks at a 5 dollar comic and asks why she should buy that instead of the manga.

The companies are selling our childhood back to us, at inflated prices. Though in a few years we might not be interested anymore and there is not another crop of kids coming up that are interested.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish Of Doom posted:

The transformers stuff is too expensive. You could argue that DCUC can get away with $15 because it's more for adult collectors, but the transformers movie stuff is almost entirely aimed at kids. No kid or parent is going to want to spend $17 on each individual character.
I was annoyed when they jacked up the Deluxe Transformer price from $10 to $12 for no real reason, and I thought maybe Wal-Mart had learned their lesson after their Deluxe ones for sale just sat there warming the pegs after the price jump because they dropped the price down to $10 and it stayed there until, like, last week. Now it's back up to $12 again. :sigh:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I was annoyed when they jacked up the Deluxe Transformer price from $10 to $12 for no real reason, and I thought maybe Wal-Mart had learned their lesson after their Deluxe ones for sale just sat there warming the pegs after the price jump because they dropped the price down to $10 and it stayed there until, like, last week. Now it's back up to $12 again. :sigh:

They barely sell at 8 bucks when they go on sale, 12 is just stupid.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
If you want to see how POORLY Hasbro is ran, ready the Annual Reports.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-reportsannual

Be amazed with how little money they actually make.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Djarum posted:

If you want to see how POORLY Hasbro is ran, ready the Annual Reports.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-reportsannual

Be amazed with how little money they actually make.

Jesus christ, bu-but... they own everything. :aaa:

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I am having more fun than I should flipping my two-face coin.. LoL.

racecardriver
Apr 27, 2009
I really want the Larfleeze action figure from an upcoming wave of the Blackest Night figures. Love that character. Anyone know when he drops?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Apparently March is the release date for those.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Any chance we are gonna get that Red Lantern space cat? :3:

Lizard King
Nov 7, 2003

FWOOOSH
That entire Blackest Night series is as good as mine when I have the money. The last figure I got was the 12" GL Corps figure from DC Direct. It has Hal Jordan, Tomar Re, and some other weird alien head plus like 4 pairs of hands! And a glowing lantern!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Djarum posted:

Also, does anyone else find it funny that somehow Hot Wheels and Matchbox can seem to be able to make cars for the same price for almost 2 decades now without raising the price? I would imagine metal would be much more expensive than plastic too.

You'd probably be wrong. Also, more Hot Wheels are made in a week, than those figures are in a year. You can't really compare the two.

For reference, Hot Wheels produced it's 4 billionth car sometime last year.

edit: Actually Hot Wheels has never raised it's price ever. It's been $1 for over 40 years.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 21, 2010

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zeitgueist posted:

You'd probably be wrong. Also, more Hot Wheels are made in a week, than those figures are in a year. You can't really compare the two.

For reference, Hot Wheels produced it's 4 billionth car sometime last year.

edit: Actually Hot Wheels has never raised it's price ever. It's been $1 for over 40 years.

Hot Wheels Ecto-1 out this month! :3:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I said I'd get a picture of Krib with the rest of my lanterns like a week ago. Here it is.

And I know you guys are going to get bummed out about this, but the new Ultron figure is really pretty amazing.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Man, I've been buying the little gi-joe Avatar figures and today I find out there are full size ones. They're really nice though, I hope they stand up ok.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I know its not an action figure but in the absence of more GB figures this month I found the Hot Wheels Ecto-1, its pretty fantastic for a 99 cent car.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Anyone have a DCUC Wildcat they would like to part with? My Chemo looks odd with no torso.

Hell, at this point I'd settle for the Chemo piece.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Anyone have a DCUC Wildcat they would like to part with? My Chemo looks odd with no torso.

I'll look but use the other thread :D

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joe Fisto posted:

I've got a spare Chemo torso I can send you. PM me you address info.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

funtax posted:

I've got a spare Chemo torso I can send you. PM me you address info.

Done!

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
Speaking of which, does anybody have a spare Atom Smasher torso?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I didn't see anything about this sort of thing in the OP so I hope that someone can point me in the right direction. I found a bunch of old South Park figures still in the box and wondered if they were worth anything.

A quick eBay search indicates that the new ones are worth a few bucks but nothing older (one box says 1998 on it) shows up...is there a goon preferred site for finding out an action figure's value? Thanks.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Went to Wal-Mart today and picked up Eclipso, Iron, Spectre and Dr. Midnite.

I'm irritated that they've broken the wave up. I want to be able to complete Darksied now, dammit!

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 27, 2010

JohnThermos
Dec 8, 2005

I CAN HAS USB NOW?

jet sanchEz posted:

I didn't see anything about this sort of thing in the OP so I hope that someone can point me in the right direction. I found a bunch of old South Park figures still in the box and wondered if they were worth anything.

A quick eBay search indicates that the new ones are worth a few bucks but nothing older (one box says 1998 on it) shows up...is there a goon preferred site for finding out an action figure's value? Thanks.

Go to eBay, find completed listings for the figures. This is what they're actually worth.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

JohnThermos posted:

Go to eBay, find completed listings for the figures. This is what they're actually worth.

If you're not finding a listing on eBay, it's either so rare that it's a precious, precious treasure or there's just no demand for them at all. It's almost always the latter.

Also, make sure you check finished auctions as well. There's usually a much larger selection of examples to look at in there.

funtax fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 28, 2010

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Thanks guys, I was finally able to find the exact figures and they are worth about $40 on eBay. Cheers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joe Fisto posted:

Went to Wal-Mart today and picked up Eclipso, Iron, Spectre and Dr. Midnite.

I'm irritated that they've broken the wave up. I want to be able to complete Darksied now, dammit!

Fun fact: The packaging for the variant Spectre's is apparently very slightly different from the regular ones.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

So guys, how are those new pins?!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

So guys, how are those new pins?!

I notice nothing different. Also, aside from the chain, I don't see any diecast on Iron.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Looks like the Starbuck/Leoben and Tigh/Gaeta BSG 2-Packs should be out pretty soon. I originally only wanted the Starbuck/Leoben one, but the Tigh/Gaeta one looks pretty good too...

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2010/01/bsg-the-legacy-continues/

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Jace Madan posted:

Looks like the Starbuck/Leoben and Tigh/Gaeta BSG 2-Packs should be out pretty soon. I originally only wanted the Starbuck/Leoben one, but the Tigh/Gaeta one looks pretty good too...

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2010/01/bsg-the-legacy-continues/

Amazon lists the Tigh/Gaeta two pack as in stock, and at least one can be found on Ebay, so it sounds like they're out. Still no sign of Starbuck, even though everything still says 1/27 for a release date.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I was inspired by this and attempted to make an Animated Series Batman.

Fat Lee
Mar 12, 2009

Command a Battlestar.
Be overweight.
Live the Fat Lee life.
Okay maybe this is a bit much but I couldn't resist

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
Nice Lamp! I would love to have one for each of the original seven members of the Justice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ogmios posted:

Nice Lamp! I would love to have one for each of the original seven members of the Justice League.

I don't think they did one for Martian Manhunter.