Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Chichevache posted:

Is it weird that I really want my second bike to be a trials bike?
Edit
Second in my stable, that is.

Supermoto is the answer I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

No, but where will you ride it? Do you have a back yard or a truck to take it somewhere to ride? They're almost never street legal.

Nope and nope :downs:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Had first panic stop today. Did not drop the bike! Rear skid a bit though but I remembered to not lift suddenly.

Dunno if this is almost crash or "good job" but lol I'm ok.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a "good job!" for not lifting on the rear. It's a hard thing to stop yourself from doing. You'll be even better next time.

Next time force yourself to look for escape routes, rather than risk fixating on one thing and making stopping your only option.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
What happens if I grab too much front? Pretty sure my cruiser will just lock and the poo poo will hit the fan but what about a sport bike, say, an sv650? end over end or lock or could be either?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Verge posted:

What happens if I grab too much front? Pretty sure my cruiser will just lock and the poo poo will hit the fan but what about a sport bike, say, an sv650? end over end or lock or could be either?

Locking the front is a low-side. If you have fast enough reflexes and don't tense up, you can catch the front wheel skid/lockup and just release the brake to keep rolling.
If you don't get off the brake and or it goes over far enough to lose traction, it's a low side.

Here's a "lost traction on the front and the bike fell over":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLV5mkGH9E

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Verge posted:

sport bike, say, an sv650
:lol:

Anyway yeah it's certainly possible on a bike with a high CoG to just flip over the bars with a too-violent application of the front brake. It's nowhere near as likely as just locking up and low-siding but with good grip and a poo poo rider it's easily done.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
also possible for the bike to flip with the rider

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

also possible for the bike to flip with the rider

This kills the mailbox.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Skreemer posted:

Locking the front is a low-side. If you have fast enough reflexes and don't tense up, you can catch the front wheel skid/lockup and just release the brake to keep rolling.
If you don't get off the brake and or it goes over far enough to lose traction, it's a low side.

Here's a "lost traction on the front and the bike fell over":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLV5mkGH9E

Wait, FRONT BRAKING causes lowside? Also, I was referring to braking in a straight line. Just to clarify to everyone that's probably thinking it (I know riding a Harley really doesn't help my case) no, I don't abstain from using the front brake. It's my primary brake and I know I won't just endo without really being loving stupid (though I didn't think it was as hard as you say so good to know).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Locking the rear could theoretically cause a lowside if you go down quick enough (might even never happen if you're trying to save the bike rather than layer dan), but if the back steps out too far and then regains traction the bike will flip and that's a highside.

Having locked the rear a few times I can tell you that it's not at all likely to drop you immediately; it just tends to fishtail while the bike stays mostly upright. This is probably due to physics reasons but I won't embarrass myself trying to guess at what those are.

e/ even in a straight line, if you lock the front while you're going fast enough for it to skid (ie it unsticks from the road) then you're never going to endo, because that requires traction. If it locks and stays locked then even the slightest steering or lean input caused by you or the road or wind or whatever will send you down.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 11, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

Wait, FRONT BRAKING causes lowside? Also, I was referring to braking in a straight line. Just to clarify to everyone that's probably thinking it (I know riding a Harley really doesn't help my case) no, I don't abstain from using the front brake. It's my primary brake and I know I won't just endo without really being loving stupid (though I didn't think it was as hard as you say so good to know).

I just want you to know that you're still my favorite troll. But, because hope springs eternal, if you're not really a troll I think you still desperately need to read proficient motorcycling.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

ugh, seriously? i watched twist of the wrist. isn't that enough!? :(

p.s. still not supporting the troll rep i have

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

ugh, seriously? i watched twist of the wrist. isn't that enough!? :(

p.s. still not supporting the troll rep i have

Your posting supports it enough for both of you.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

So I just almost put my rear end in someone's face. I was heading to my new date's house. An old friend. I'm cruising around a busy street trying to find where the gently caress her house is, going back and forth (google maps lied!) and then I finally see her, on the left, pointing to a driveway, on the left, as I'm in the right lane. Normally it is absolutely my habit to check my blind spots. For all the dumb poo poo I do, this really is something I'm good about. So I just move the gently caress over in the left lane, going 20 in a 40, causing a horn to blare behind me and almost getting hit if not for the other driver's quick reflexes. I apologize profusely while he's yelling at me, knowing I'm 100% in the wrong. I dunno what the gently caress happened, I think I burned my good habits practicing tight maneuvers in an empty parking lot earlier that day. No signal, nothing, it was like I thought I was the last man on Earth. I'm lucky he didn't cripple my rear end.

It looked something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjkkjH0GnfY&t=6s

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I think the kids today would call you "thirsty af".

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Men have been known to go to war for tail, an unchecked lane change is just bush league :haw:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Yesterday I had my first (well, maybe second) truly terrifying moment on my bike. When I come to power rolling through stop signs will be punishable by death. Pushed me into the oncoming lane (thank christ there was no one there) and she starts honking at me like it's my fault somehow.

gently caress soccer moms.

Edit: to clarify, this wasn't the full-on intersection. I didn't have a stop sign myself, but she did.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 20, 2016

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

So today I hosed up. I take a largely abandoned highway home from work every day that sees little traffic due to a bypass being made a few years back. It's great fun to ride on, and has some enjoyable hills and turns. The downside is the roads aren't very well maintained, leading to fair size cracks and bumps in places.

I was scooting along at 55-ish, and went to overtake two cars together (Plenty of sight, and time). Kicked it to 4th, pulled out, and as I was between the two cars I must've hit one of the hidden bumps and the bike thanked me with a tank slapper. I'm not sure how long it lasted, maybe 3-5 seconds? I've had my fair share of them on my dirt bikes, so, I think I handled it ok, as I didn't crash. Certainly a pants making GBS threads moment being the first time on the street.

I think I just need to slow down on the road before I smash the first new vehicle I've ever been able to afford :sigh:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

PhoenixWing posted:

So today I hosed up. I take a largely abandoned highway home from work every day that sees little traffic due to a bypass being made a few years back. It's great fun to ride on, and has some enjoyable hills and turns. The downside is the roads aren't very well maintained, leading to fair size cracks and bumps in places.

I was scooting along at 55-ish, and went to overtake two cars together (Plenty of sight, and time). Kicked it to 4th, pulled out, and as I was between the two cars I must've hit one of the hidden bumps and the bike thanked me with a tank slapper. I'm not sure how long it lasted, maybe 3-5 seconds? I've had my fair share of them on my dirt bikes, so, I think I handled it ok, as I didn't crash. Certainly a pants making GBS threads moment being the first time on the street.

I think I just need to slow down on the road before I smash the first new vehicle I've ever been able to afford :sigh:

You had a tank slapper from a 55mph bump? Someone explain this poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Hard on throttle, too much weight on the bars or over gripping them, front end goes light, hits a bump, and goes into head shake mode rather than just snapping back straight because holding the bars tightly means the rider prevents the bike from self correcting.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Z3n posted:

Hard on throttle, too much weight on the bars or over gripping them, front end goes light, hits a bump, and goes into head shake mode rather than just snapping back straight because holding the bars tightly means the rider prevents the bike from self correcting.

This sounds like exactly the reason. Ive been riding standards for the longest time, and only have ~1300 miles on this bike (which has the lean forward sport style, and the first time I've ridden like that), and have found myself putting too much weight on it when I'm not focusing and pulling away.

Thanks Z3n, I think I just need to spend more time on some empty roads to break that habit under acceleration, and in general too, and be a little easier on the inputs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I still find myself having to make a conscious effort to do the same - especially when riding quickly. The 1290 will wobble the bars all the way down the front straight if I put even slightly too much input into them.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

ty. good to know, im running that rice paper analogy someone (you?) made earlier and i find it so hard to not grip under acceleration/breaking

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gotta learn to use your legs to lock into the bike and your core to keep your weight off the bars. It's not a muscle set used much of anywhere else so it's gonna hurt.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just a reminder that they're out there, and they have licenses.

I pulled off the road to get a picture of this double switchback, and as I was getting off the bike, a guy in a station wagon dove all the way to the inside (opposite) lane as he came around the closer turn. A biker came down from the other direction like ten seconds later. Maybe the wagon driver saw that nobody was coming yet, and took the chance, but gently caress you buddy that's a terrible habit.

Meeting the wagon of death in a blind corner is one of my nightmares. There's only so much you can prepare for.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
I did crash and am certainly a dummy.

On a group ride (no) heading into a blind corner a bit too fast (no!), applied rear brake rather than leaning further and accelerating (NO), so went off onto the very narrow gravel roadside, then target-focused on the misery in front of me (NO!) rather than trying to yank it back on the road. Went down, hard but in gravel/grass, then got to experience the joy of spending half an hour pulling a 500+ pound motorcycle out of a thorn bush and up a soft grass embankment. If I didn't have a buddy with I think that bike would still be there... or not in the ditch at all since I would have been going slower by myself.

Gear held up, I'm limping a bit today but could have been much worse. Chest/shoulder of the jacket has some character now. Probably should buy a new new helmet to replace the new helmet I just fuckered. Not sure how hard I hit but yeah.

Bike in surprisingly good shape, headlight cowl and speedometer aside. Rode it home and all. Pity I'm such a tool.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You got lucky mate. Glad you're ok. Good that you took responsibility for the accident and seem to have learnt your lesson.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

TheNothingNew posted:

I did crash and am certainly a dummy.

On a group ride (no) heading into a blind corner a bit too fast (no!), applied rear brake rather than leaning further and accelerating (NO), so went off onto the very narrow gravel roadside, then target-focused on the misery in front of me (NO!) rather than trying to yank it back on the road. Went down, hard but in gravel/grass, then got to experience the joy of spending half an hour pulling a 500+ pound motorcycle out of a thorn bush and up a soft grass embankment. If I didn't have a buddy with I think that bike would still be there... or not in the ditch at all since I would have been going slower by myself.

Gear held up, I'm limping a bit today but could have been much worse. Chest/shoulder of the jacket has some character now. Probably should buy a new new helmet to replace the new helmet I just fuckered. Not sure how hard I hit but yeah.

Bike in surprisingly good shape, headlight cowl and speedometer aside. Rode it home and all. Pity I'm such a tool.

hot drat you got all the rookie mistakes in one. chock it up to learning experience. also, your helmet is probably covered under your insurance. if it's an expensive one check it out. poo poo, consider getting it x rayed, don't some brands do it free?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Verge posted:

chock it up

No, chalk it up.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheNothingNew posted:

... or not in the ditch at all since I would have been going slower by myself.

This one is really important to remember.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Verge posted:

hot drat you got all the rookie mistakes in one. chock it up to learning experience. also, your helmet is probably covered under your insurance. if it's an expensive one check it out. poo poo, consider getting it x rayed, don't some brands do it free?

Just ordered a new one. HJC is cheap poo poo, but it's the only brand that fits my bizarro head. Meets DOT/SNELL though, so good enough.

I'll have time to think things over while I make repairs on my fancy-pants moon bike, with NLA or bullshit expensive parts. I've seen fairings stitched up, is there a technique to that or just drill away and then lace with baling wire?

I'd also like to review the basics again, think that'd be a good idea. Anyone have a suggestion? I watched Twist of the Wrist when I was new but can't seem to find it anymore.

And yeah, solo rides from now on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nothing really wrong with HJC, they're just lower-end. I wore an HJC helmet for a few years and had no problems.

Shoei has the same head shape as HJC, btw, or so I believe.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Nothing really wrong with HJC, they're just lower-end. I wore an HJC helmet for a few years and had no problems.

Shoei has the same head shape as HJC, btw, or so I believe.

Mainly HJC is louder than I'd like, otherwise no real complaints. That, and the flip-down visor on the IS-16 I had before this wasn't dark enough to be useful.

I've tried on a few Shoei. I think the head was right but my chin was resting against the jaw section. Given I have some rash there right now, that space seems important.
My chin does jut a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeI2LEjrDPM (I'm the plinth)

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I crashed in two HJC CL-MAX II and my head was fine and that's what matters the most.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

HJC is really good for their price. I wish mine didn't get washed into the Patapsco. Now I'm back to my $80 bell.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They're heavy and noisy

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

nsaP posted:

They're heavy and noisy

Please don't talk bad about goons.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Verge posted:

Sure, if you lean forward and weight the bars while braking. I don't think you're going to manage that on your ape hanger'd Harley.

e:

Verge and sperg_zer0, please do the following when trying to stop your motorcycle.
- Lean back
- Don't put pressure on the bars.
- Grip the tank with your knees.

Please don't die, CA will be a lesser place without either of your posting.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
So, first time driving in rain this year (been selective on the weather). Turning in an intersection and (by habit) accelerating with a good twist of the wrist.

This year I am however driving 120hp bike unlike last years 50hp one and the zebra crossings are slippery...

... rear wheel lost grip - got it back - lost it again as the wheel went over markings. Interesting oscillations, which I probably did not manage with all the grace I should have done. Only thing lost was pride, but reminded me that the markings on the road can be really slippery when wet. Last year I slided on the asphalt on very similar situation, so a good reminded to mind the power when driving in rain.

• Locked thread