Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
mrda champs were awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

mrda champs were awesome

your camera work was atrocious though

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

downtimejesus posted:

your camera work was atrocious though

ur butt is atrocious

<3 u

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think there needs to be a popcorn machine installed in this thread.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Holy gently caress that Jacksonville vs Arch Rival game. :suspense:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Cryosleep posted:

A friend of mine took a picture of the scoreboard at the end and I'm pretty sure I had the same reaction. Dang.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cryosleep posted:

I need to establish a few things before I make the comment I want to make:

- Holy yes, that was an amazing game. And I was just listening to the audio call. I have not been that engaged with a WFTDA game like that for a while.
- I was driving through a canyon road at lost my cell signal during the last 3 or 4 minutes of the first half and was very pissed off about it because IT WAS SO GOOD
- Holy gently caress, Arch Rival?
- Statistically, it is (so far) probably the game of the playoffs. Tight all the way through, close finish, relatively few penalties, many competitive jams, mostly balanced scoring. Maybe only one game comes close to it.
- Guys, I'm saying it was a very good game because it was one!

Are we clear on that? Because I want to make sure the comment I actually want to make is put in the proper context. Okay, here goes:

I'm lucky enough to be able to see games like that twice a month in Los Angeles on a banked track. What you guys saw in Jax/Arch was the competitive equivalent of an above-average, but not-quite-exceptional RDCL-rules game.

I believe/need to get back on my meds/insist that one of these days, every game in the WFTDA (or somewhere else) will look like that. Just imagine. :allears:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So how bout that VRDL v Gotham game, here's hoping Rose has some magic up their sleeve. And I of course have to register my support for Nashville in D2 champs today.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
That game was AMAZING. VRDL was so close!!! What do you guys think of the ESPN coverage today?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cryosleep posted:

That game was AMAZING. VRDL was so close!!! What do you guys think of the ESPN coverage today?

Really good. Maybe some first-game jitters on the part of the director, cutting away from impending action to show a jammer sitting in the penalty box. But it's nice to finally see a roller derby game fleshed out with the usual sports bits, bobs, and doodads that keep a broadcast moving.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
A. loving. MAZING.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If only I could have seen that in person. :aaaaa:

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
HOLY poo poo THAT GAME

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cryosleep posted:

HOLY poo poo THAT GAME

Eh, it was okay

I cried a bit at the end SHUT UP

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!

WindyMan posted:

Eh, it was okay

I cried a bit at the end SHUT UP

Yeah, me too. Me too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Totally TWISTED posted:

If only I could have seen that in person. :aaaaa:

It was loving incredible.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
I need to go to WFTDA champs next year. I got to go to MRDA champs - well, was voluntold to go - this year only because it was here.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
And BAD is probably taking all the wrong lessons away from this again as they fall further in the rankings.

My wife was with BAD, and quit derby not long after champs last year. A bunch of incidents happened that were mostly kicked off when she said something complimentary about Rose on Facebook after they beat BAD. Instead of seeing (or exhibiting) good sportsmanship, high-up BAD skaters including travel team skaters and future coaches excoriated her. And then she got treated like poo poo in all sorts of other ways too.

So a couple months later she finally hung up her skates for good, after having been involved in derby for 3.5 years without ever having skated in a bout where family & friends could watch.

Maybe if BAD stops treating skaters there to be athletes (not sisters) like poo poo, stops drafting and promoting skaters for "culture fit" rather than skill, and stops keeping skaters on their rosters who have no business on skates any more, they might stand more of a chance next year.

As it is, I'm amazed they even beat the one team they did given how much of a sorority they turned out to be.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Taking a picture of your skates in a dumpster, with the rest of your gear, to troll the rest of the league in a drama filled Facebook post is certainly one way of hanging the skates up.

The reaction to the rose comment was wrong, but everyone involved in that incident made mistakes.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Not really, it was pretty clear cut: She said something nice about Rose, which Would Not Stand. And that pretty much ensured she'd be kept out of the home teams for another season, at which point why bother?

Derby has some serious loving problems and while I'm no fan of USARS or especially FIRS, I can't help but wonder if they might ensure leagues are more reasonably and uniformly administered, everybody gets to skate when they're ready (as opposed to when a league decides to let them skate, as a means of control), and so on.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Also, she wrote that post you called "drama filled" to explain to everyone we know just why she doesn't want to be asked how derby is going any more and especially when they could see her skate.

You do realize how loving humiliating it is to be asked "When can we see you play?" for literally years without being able to give a good answer, yes?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

eschaton posted:

Not really, it was pretty clear cut: She said something nice about Rose, which Would Not Stand. And that pretty much ensured she'd be kept out of the home teams for another season, at which point why bother?
I can sympathize with your side, but I can also understand how someone would have taken the timing and phrasing as being insensitive or an attempt to rub it in. People are going to be on edge right after a loss, there's no way around it.

eschaton posted:

Also, she wrote that post you called "drama filled" to explain to everyone we know just why she doesn't want to be asked how derby is going any more and especially when they could see her skate.

You do realize how loving humiliating it is to be asked "When can we see you play?" for literally years without being able to give a good answer, yes?
Yeah, this sucks. The fact that rec league and pool skaters don't have an outlet for public or semi-public bouts is really lovely, especially when you've got enough skaters to fill out at least 3 division 2-level teams when you add in the team skaters that never get rostered. Lots of folks feel this way and lots leave because of it, and I don't know how they could even begin to fix it with the lack of money and space options.

So I feel you there. However, bragging about how expensive and custom the skates sitting in the dumpster are when there are skaters out there that can barely afford new bearings for their 10 year old plastic plate & fake leather setups wasn't cool.

Everyone made mistakes, nothing good came of it. The whole league isn't at fault, just the 3 or so people involved, so it's really not fair to impugn the hard work and good intentions of everyone else (a lot of folks that supported you btw.)

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 11, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

So I feel you there. However, bragging about how expensive and custom the skates sitting in the dumpster are when there are skaters out there that can barely afford new bearings for their 10 year old plastic plate & fake leather setups wasn't cool.

And there's absolutely no rhetorical point whatsoever to indicating either the time or financial investment in the activity that's being quit as a means of emphasizing an individual's prior commitment. Right?

Perhaps the word you were looking for wasn't really "bragging" but "lamenting." Even if we weren't well off, she'd have likely had those skates because they were the only thing she found that actually fit acceptably, and skating with bad or ill-fitting gear is a good way to get hurt.

quote:

Everyone made mistakes, nothing good came of it. The whole league isn't at fault, just the 3 or so people involved, so it's really not fair to impugn the hard work and good intentions of everyone else.

There are a hell of a lot more than three people involved in making BAD the clusterfuck that it is and driving people like my wife out.

Hard work and good intentions count for jack poo poo when they can't actually effect change. There's probably not even a code of conduct at BAD yet, is there? And I saw how much all that hard work and good intentions meant in the draft process and in travel team tryouts, where people who should have didn't make it and others who shouldn't have did. I saw just how much attention the home team coaches paid to new non-transfer skaters, too. (None.)

And when the people who are lovely wind up in positions of authority with the league, that most definitely can be held against the league as a whole. The person who treated her worst wound up being elected a home team captain a couple weeks later, for gently caress's sake, around the same time it was becoming clear she wouldn't be included in a draft regardless of her skill, hard work, or other contributions to the league.

There wasn't just the one incident either. The final straw was actually the "The pool needs to send X skaters to help clean the warehouse or everyone gets written up!" bullshit from the facilities coordinator. Yeah, that looks great when there were no consequences whatsoever for the individuals who ripped into my wife last year during champs.

So no, it's not just a problem of three or so people, it's a problem with the way the league is run and structured, and for & by whom it's run. If the league doesn't want it to be perceived or treated as a league problem, the league needs to actually take steps to remedy it. (Like a code of conduct to which it will actually hold league members, like using open quantitative assessments for teams and rosters.) It won't change that perception just by virtue of a couple individuals saying #NotAllBADSkaters, even if those individuals themselves are perfectly nice despite some Stockholm Syndrome.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

One other thing...

krysmopompas posted:

Yeah, this sucks. The fact that rec league and pool skaters don't have an outlet for public or semi-public bouts is really lovely, especially when you've got enough skaters to fill out at least 3 division 2-level teams when you add in the team skaters that never get rostered. Lots of folks feel this way and lots leave because of it, and I don't know how they could even begin to fix it with the lack of money and space options.

The home bouts are the ones that bring in the spectators and the money that lets the league do everything else. More home teams means more home bouts. More home bouts means more money for space and other poo poo, not less.

Yes, it means figuring out the logistics of 6, 8, or even 10 home team practices weekly rather than just 4. Funny enough though, plenty of other sports can manage that. And even if all the teams didn't have individual practices weekly, having them at all would still help. Maybe not affiliating with a team for life like some sort of sorority would also make it easier for people to fit derby into their individual schedule by letting them transfer more easily. "Oh, Fremont's practices are on Wednesday, maybe I should switch to them."

But then again, derby has never really looked to how other amateur or semipro sports do things, even if it could help iron out a lot of those kinds of issues.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
I believe the appropriate response is to blow up the drama in the middle of the league, take sides and form cliques, then split off and form another league across town.

Isn't that the way these things are usually handled?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Just what the bay area needs, another roller derby league.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

eschaton posted:

There are a hell of a lot more than three people involved in making BAD the clusterfuck that it is and driving people like my wife out.
Since you're specifically addressing some very internal league poo poo, then post this where they can see it and respond to you instead of some private forum in the far corners of the internet that nobody affiliated with the league will see or ever have the opportunity to call you out on your bullshit.

I really did support you guys until you turned around and started using this as an excuse to trash talk everyone and everything at BAD. I'm done touching the poop here.

EvilMoFo posted:

I'm sure you'd see another if there were more than 3 places to practice.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 11, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

Since you're specifically addressing some very internal league poo poo, then post this where they can see it and respond to you instead of some private forum in the far corners of the internet that nobody affiliated with the league will see or ever have the opportunity to call you out on your bullshit.

I really did support you guys until you turned around and started using this as an excuse to trash talk everyone and everything at BAD. I'm done touching the poop here.

Well, there's obviously someone from BAD here... And there are other folks here too who aren't associated with BAD, including members of the media. (Hi, Windy!)

I'm trashing BAD as a league for exactly the reasons I stated: This is, contrary to what you say, ultimately a league problem because it has to do with how the league governs itself. If it were just one or a few individuals and the league were well-govern ed, it would have been resolved long ago, or never would have happened in the first place.

Furthermore, this is not bullshit, this is our lived experience of being a part of BAD and winding up disillusioned with derby as a whole. The sympathy from people who supported us, and who have continued to be our friends post-derby, is quite appreciated. But it didn't actually change anything within the league, and still to our knowledge hasn't. (My wife has repeatedly asked the board if there's a code of conduct yet. No response.)

This is also stuff that both mentioned on FB and Twitter where BAD people could have responded, but haven't. You're one of the only people to do so. So to insinuate that I'm bringing this up here because nobody will get "the other side" is itself bullshit. I'm bringing this up here because it's part of derby, and because frankly I have more hope that their deep slide in the rankings will clean house at BAD than all the sympathy in the world for those who have been (and are being) treated poorly.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

BAD is the holy grail, people leave roster positions of other leagues to just be in their pool; I really don't understand it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

BAD is the holy grail, people leave roster positions of other leagues to just be in their pool; I really don't understand it.

Well, from what I've seen, they stand a much better chance of getting on a home team coming in as a transfer, rather than trying to come up as a pool skater directly.

A transfer coming from a roster position in another league will wind up spending the minimum required time in the pool, and then get drafted to a home team at the earliest opportunity.

Doesn't even matter if they put in very many volunteer hours or even make all the practices, because they came from elsewhere they'll be picked first.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

EvilMoFo posted:

http://www.rollerderbynotes.com/2015/07/11/banked-track-derby-comes-to-the-bay-area-in-2016/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Do they seriously not have any code of conduct at all because :stare:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, I am looking forward to banked track; they are full of officials though so I am on a waiting list :geno:

Edit: For WFTDA, there are 6 leagues in the bay area. If you include Monterey and Santa Cruz, add 2. If you include Sacramento, which isn't the bay area by any stretch, add another 2. RCDL is a breath of fresh air.

eschaton posted:

If it's any consolation, she was a good official.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 11, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

If it's any consolation, she was a good official.

Thank you, she really enjoyed working with you too.

JigHexadecimal
Dec 22, 2007

Snap into a big gear.

Ryoshi posted:

Do they seriously not have any code of conduct at all because :stare:

I am Eschaton's wife.

I've just reviewed the copy of the BAD Handbook and Bylaws, current up to Nov 11, 2014 (exactly one year ago). It's 77 pages long. It should be noted that this handbook revision was updated after the 2014 Championships.

There was no skater code of conduct outlined anywhere. There were a couple vague references to one, but no citations which point directly to the actual rules skaters are supposed to follow. There is a sexual harassment policy, but not a general code that specifically covers run-of the-mill misconduct. Misconduct, such as senior skaters excoriating a pool skater openly over social media for making perfectly acceptable comments on the same forum.

After a significant counter-backlash (which came from BAD league members towards bullies within their own league) caused the online incident to be acknowledged by the Board of Directors as something that actually happened, there was no guidance on how to issue reprimand or penalty.

Is there a code of conduct now? I don't know for certain. Before I lost access to the BAD forums in February of this year, there was one board member who seemed to be in front of the research effort, looking into the ratified CoCs of Rose City and other leagues. After I lost access, I asked this board member several times over three months if BAD had ratified one yet, with no response of any kind.

JigHexadecimal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 12, 2015

JigHexadecimal
Dec 22, 2007

Snap into a big gear.

krysmopompas posted:

In addition to my husband's very public criticism in forums where anyone could see and respond, I would have you know that I worked extensively within the league to address these issues as a first recourse while I was still there.

I reached out personally to every last skater who bullied me, and invoked mediation services for those who would not talk to me on their own.

I spoke with every board member, and the travel team co-captains and received assurance from everyone that I did nothing wrong.

I filed grievance against the worst actors and attempted to submit screen caps in evidence to their original comments towards me, particularly those of one who was just elected to coach .

I induced several league members to write letters of complaint to the mediation director, as outlined in the bylaws, which might as well have fallen down a hole for all the good it did.

I appealed to both my pool coaches several times to advocate for me in the drafting process, and they couldn't even secure me any feedback on my performance, despite several home team coaches telling me there is an objective process behind the draft. I have yet to see any evidence in support of this, including any post-draft feedback which suggests an objective evaluation took place.

I submitted a detailed letter of resignation after the post-season draft result, which outlined what was wrong with my experience in the pool. I was civil, and I was explicit. And then I waited three months before actually leaving the league. Nobody in authority approached me about the issues I raised, or offered to amend them.

And finally, there was the big dumb fight with the facilities committee, wherein I leveraged my politically dead status to actually stand up for my pool skaters who could not muster enough volunteers to avoid facing a heavy-handed and completely indiscriminate punishment. My forums access was cut two days before my official discharge date, right in the middle of the ensuing argument.

If you are a member of BAD, then you should be privy to (and be able to confirm) at least some of these measures, which I had undertaken long before I ever took that picture of my skates in the garbage.

krysmopompas posted:

Taking a picture of your skates in a dumpster, with the rest of your gear, to troll the rest of the league in a drama filled Facebook post is certainly one way of hanging the skates up.

Do you mean this?

My husband misrepresents what that was about. That wasn't for my friends and family. I posted that picture to get the recruiters off my back. I endured their persistent queries, first from the coaches, then the board, and finally other skaters that had since left BAD and wanted to tell me how so very nice the people over at their new digs are. Six months of this, and then I sent a clear, unambiguous message that my skates had a Viking funeral, and I'm done. If you thought it was about trolling BAD, you weren't paying attention.

It's not to get a rise out of anybody, or to elicit a response. I wanted to be left alone, and I was willing to burn all the derby bridges to get that point across once and for all. There's a difference.

JigHexadecimal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 13, 2015

JigHexadecimal
Dec 22, 2007

Snap into a big gear.

krysmopompas posted:

Everyone made mistakes, nothing good came of it. The whole league isn't at fault, just the 3 or so people involved, so it's really not fair to impugn the hard work and good intentions of everyone else (a lot of folks that supported you btw.)

I must emphasize once more that the Board and the travel team co-captains cleared me of all wrongdoing. Maybe there are some who grumble now about my show of sportsmanship being untimely and insensitive, but I remember some baying for my draft prospects on account of disloyalty, which is categorically absurd. I've played sports all my life. You honor the victor if you can bear it, but people understand if you can't. You don't verbally skewer and threaten underlings for honorable conduct that happens to sting your pride.

It is my sincere hope that something good can come of this. That's why I haven't shut up about it. It doesn't serve me to forget the last 3.5 years of my life which I have given to roller derby. There was a time I believed in WFTDA representing the ideas it espouses about cultivation and empowerment. I also believed in Bay Area Derby Girls as a bastion of strong leadership and great talent. My two years with that league as equal parts official and skater has thoroughly disabused me of that notion. The idea that a founding WFTDA league has yet to ratify a basic code of conduct is straight up disgraceful, and it still matters to me to see it done.

If it's a handful of bad eggs, as you say, then it's a handful of extremely influential bad eggs. My problem with BAD isn't about petty squabbles and "drama". Virtually every issue I've raised in this forum pertains directly to governance and leadership.

In my exhaustive attempts to express my misgivings in a meaningful way, or to advance when I felt I was more than ready, I kept seeing people throw up their hands and say they have no power. Why is it that so many people think they have no power to do the right thing within BAD? You guys have some serious house cleaning to do, or else just let El Niņo take your rotten roof and be done with the whole thing.

JigHexadecimal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 12, 2015

bokbok
Jan 12, 2006

do you like my hat?
UGH, I'm sorry you had to go through that poo poo show but also MOVE TO PORTLAND WE HAVE A HYDRA NOW, DO YOU WANT TO TOUCH IT? :D :D

edit: how is that redemption for Eagle in that last jam of hers, who even remembers last year now? I'm gonna go watch the game again a million times on ESPN3 before I figure out how to save it. Also ESPN3 coverage was fantastic and I am into it. I especially loved having ~real sports stats~!

bokbok fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 12, 2015

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I remember last year. But I never blamed Eagle I blamed the coach for not having the balls to play Mutch back to back to back to finish the game. Still the skill and strategy displayed this year was phenomenal. I think Mutch last year was the greatest single game for a jammer that I've ever seen, but Scald was mvp no doubt this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

bokbok posted:

edit: how is that redemption for Eagle in that last jam of hers, who even remembers last year now?

I don't even remember her performance during the game. "I drank a Coke today" will define her for the rest of her life.

• Locked thread