Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I've got the cooler hovering between 55 and 80 humidity all night. Can't get it to stabilize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i gave up on stable humidity and just let the duck do what it will do in the closet. i'm debating on pulling out the slowly evaporating pie tin of water just to drive the moisture out of the duck a bit faster, they lost another ~3-5% since my last post and are in the mid 170s (grams).

Area humidity is in the 30-50s and the house is set low enough that the heater isn't kicking on that often.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

goodness posted:

I've got the cooler hovering between 55 and 80 humidity all night. Can't get it to stabilize

Although I haven't made that many things, I have never been able to get my chamber to stabilize and everything has come out great so far. I usually set my humidity to yo-yo across my target and I'm happy.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Duck prosciutto at my local cheese/meat shop is $45 a pound lol

Even if this turns out bad I've learned a lot. And spilled a ton of water on my carpet

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

goodness posted:

Duck prosciutto at my local cheese/meat shop is $45 a pound lol

Even if this turns out bad I've learned a lot. And spilled a ton of water on my carpet

How did you spill a bunch of water on your carpet making duck prosciutto?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slimy Hog posted:

Managing the humidity plate, I'm guessing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

^ swapping out different bowls and plates all night while messing with the humidity

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

I did a confit using Chef Johns method, it makes confit doable when you don't have tons of duck fat lying around. I threw the wings and any other scraps in there too for Rillettes. Made cracklings with the scraps of skin and got a decent amount of fat from that. And did a stock with the bones. gently caress yea, duck!

https://youtu.be/fwpwqtmKcgc

Got some duck gelatin

Ghetto Confit

And half a skull of duck fat

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 23, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My hanging breasts seemed to have stalled at 167-172g range the past few days, is there anything I can/should do?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mine gained weight the first day but are going down now

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Duck Breast

Salt cure for 1 day, wrapped in cheese cloth: A=142g, B=134g

Day 3: A=191g, B=191g
I put 2 trays of water and misted during day 1 and 2 to get my humidity up from 20%. Could the cheesecloth or duck have absorbed that much water to gain weight?

Day 5: A=177, B=177
Got a better humidity monitor and stabilized the humidity between 50-65. Starting to firm

Day 7: A=170g, B=171
Getting firmer.

Is this hosed or what? Temperature has been between 45-60 the whole time

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

goodness posted:

Duck Breast

Salt cure for 1 day, wrapped in cheese cloth: A=142g, B=134g

Day 3: A=191g, B=191g
I put 2 trays of water and misted during day 1 and 2 to get my humidity up from 20%. Could the cheesecloth or duck have absorbed that much water to gain weight?

Day 5: A=177, B=177
Got a better humidity monitor and stabilized the humidity between 50-65. Starting to firm

Day 7: A=170g, B=171
Getting firmer.

Is this hosed or what? Temperature has been between 45-60 the whole time

the further the moisture is from the surface the longer it takes so yes it will slow down as the outside dries and the middle is finishing out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

the further the moisture is from the surface the longer it takes so yes it will slow down as the outside dries and the middle is finishing out.

I'm not worried so much about the slow down,
But the 50g weight gain in the first 2 days

Should I aim for 30% of the weight after it stopped gaining on day 2?

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 31, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I pulled my breasts today as they finally hit the 30% drop.

I think next time I will keep the reduced salt and double the aromatics. There are only hints of the flavors on each breast.

Pictures in a.m.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Breathing intensifies.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Here's my chamber as of this morning:

2016 was not such a great year but thanks to my hobby, at least I have some good stuff to look forward to in 2017: simple salamis, sweet coppa, lamb prosciutto, salame pignolo, salame piccante, and a big-rear end 'nduja I just added today. Happy new year!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I don't have a sharp enough knife to slice it thin so it's kind of salty. Otherwise I think it worked

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Beautiful work anyway. I find the best thing to do with too-salty cured meat is to make a bastard version of Okonomiyaki. https://youtu.be/NjmqBvRQ8tI, make sensible substitutions where necessary. I make mine with tons of spinach instead of cabbage, sadly no octopus or shramps (hard to find or prepare on a moment's hangryover notice) and more eggs. That's how I ripped through my too-salty pork pancetta.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how hard is it to convert a wine fridge into a charcuterie fridge that controls humidity?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose posted:

how hard is it to convert a wine fridge into a charcuterie fridge that controls humidity?

I have a mini wine fridge that I've setup with a stc1000 temperature controller and I hooked up a WH8040 humidity controller up to travel humidifier. It takes a little bit of wiring, but nothing more than a day's worth of work and everything you need can be found on Amazon. You can google wiring diagrams for both of these things online with a simple google search too.

The hardest part for me was making sure there wasn't too much humidity when I put meat into the fridge; what I ended up doing was putting something to prop the door 2-3 cm and have a fan always blowing a little air out the crack.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mind linking all the things you bought?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose posted:

Sure, I'm currently at work, and my internet is down at home, so it might not be until tomorrow though.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My solution is to plug the fridge into a temperature controller and just use bowls of water to increase humidity through evaporation. When the fridge turns on to make it colder, the humidity goes down a bit, but that would happen with a humidifier, too. it isn't hard to keep it in the right range - for my house, the answer is to put in two bowls of water. Play around with it at your house and if you can't make it work, you might need to go the higher-tech route.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

My solution is to plug the fridge into a temperature controller and just use bowls of water to increase humidity through evaporation. When the fridge turns on to make it colder, the humidity goes down a bit, but that would happen with a humidifier, too. it isn't hard to keep it in the right range - for my house, the answer is to put in two bowls of water. Play around with it at your house and if you can't make it work, you might need to go the higher-tech route.

Do you live in the desert? I'm in the dry mountains and after raising the humidity from 20 to 60%, I couldn't even have a shot glass of water in the fridge without it going above 70

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose posted:

STC1000

WH8040
My humidifier but you might be able to find a cheaper one.

plus a few wires and wire nuts you can get at home depot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What's a good indicator that my salami has case hardening? I forgot to weight it before I hung it, so I'm going by feel right now and it feels a little too squishy for the feel of the casings right now.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
So my buddy is making bacon, I think according to Ruhlman's recipe. That would imply 2 tsp of prague powder #1 per 5lb meat. HOWEVER, the curing salt we have contains only 0.6% sodium nitrite whereas pp #1 contains around 6% I believe.

The bacon's been in the cure since Saturday and we wanted to smoke it coming Saturday. How much of a problem is this? Seems like the nitrite content is too low for long term storage, but we'll cook it to temp in any case before consuming. My intuition says it should be ok as long as the pork doesn't go off before cooking since we still have the antibacterial effects of regular salt plus the lower water content from curing etc.

Any help much appreciated. :)

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Slimy Hog posted:

What's a good indicator that my salami has case hardening? I forgot to weight it before I hung it, so I'm going by feel right now and it feels a little too squishy for the feel of the casings right now.

You can kind of tell if it feels like it's squishier on the inside. But you really need to weigh it in advance to know how done it is.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Chemmy posted:

Here's a sandwich. All in all I'd say it came out ok. I might spend more time cooking it, and might cook it a little more done to break it down a bit. As a first try though it was a fun project and the sandwich was pretty good.
I like steaming mine for a long-rear end time. Unfortuantely, I usually go TOO long and it falls apart a little too much. But goddamn does it make for a good sandwich when you get it just right.

Also: makes fantastic hash

e: whoops I just replied to something, like, 100 posts ago. Still: that was good looking pastrami

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Don't think anybody minds, thanks for the compliment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Pancetta's out! Had some mold problems so I wound up wiping off a lot of pepper. vOv

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fantastic.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Stringent posted:

Pancetta's out! Had some mold problems so I wound up wiping off a lot of pepper. vOv

Nice! Now get out there and make you some carbonara.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Am I right in assuming a grocery store probably won't have the meat to make a coppa?

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 31, 2017

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

No, they totally will. You just need a pork butt: you can cut the coppa muscle out. There are videos/ tutorials online for doing that, it's not hard.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Made the Ruhlman bacon recipe again, smoked with 3/4 apple, 1/4 cherry. I started out with 24.1lbs of belly, and ended up with 17.6lbs of sliced and 3.6lbs worth of ends/trimmings for cooking with. About 5 lbs are going to friends, but the rest is going in the fridge.

It took more than 3 hours to slice and bag WITH a slicer. I cannot even imagine trying to go back to hand-slicing for this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

best way to get heat into my jerky? i can comfortably manage salty/sweet but i want some heat and other than putting cayenne powder on the finished stuff i've not had much luck getting the heat to penetrate

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

best way to get heat into my jerky? i can comfortably manage salty/sweet but i want some heat and other than putting cayenne powder on the finished stuff i've not had much luck getting the heat to penetrate

I just made a bunch with red pepper flake and it gives a nice subtle heat. I've also done a batch with gochujang that was really good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

would using alcohol in the marinade help? cooking the mix before adding the meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

would using alcohol in the marinade help?

That seems like a really good idea. Gonna try that with my next spicy batch.

• Locked thread