Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
538 is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

It’s mostly foreign policy related but Deep State Radio is a great political podcast.

If you have center-left leanings and want some laughs in your politics Pod Save America might be worth checked by out too.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'd recommend the Left POCket Project (https://soundcloud.com/leftpoc) if you're looking for a minority leftist perspective, though they don't limit themselves to US politics. Citations Needed (https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded) is a good leftist podcast that examines American political media.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Thanks all

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for US politics podcasts? The Daily isn't quite long enough for me but still enjoy it.

I've just recently discovered Congressional Dish, hosted by Jen Briney. She actually reads the bills that pass through Congress and tells you what is in them. For a while, back in the day, she tried to read every single bill that passed in the House but she almost had a nervous breakdown so now she just reads the big bills and occasionally does deep dives on specific topics (her podcasts on Puerto Rico recently are especially good).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
For those of you who have an Audible account: i liked ‘west cork’. You could argue it’s just another true crime podcast, but it’s a very well made one, with some unexpected turns.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Anyone have any recommends for an f-plus/lou reads/reply all podcast?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nude posted:

I don't know what this means.

I'll alternatively request a podcast similar to Check it out, Comrade/beware of fireballs in which some nerds talk about a game in detail and why I should play this game =. Hopefully with an indie game bent and episodes that focus on one of two games. Thanks in advance.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

I don't know what this means.

Basically finding odd stuff on the internet and someone reacting to it. I like Reply All the best of all of em, when they read a tweet to their boss and see if he can figure it out.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Nude posted:

Basically finding odd stuff on the internet and someone reacting to it. I like Reply All the best of all of em, when they read a tweet to their boss and see if he can figure it out.

Yeah yes/yes/no is great. I’m usually like the boss in that I don’t have a clue of what they’re talking about.
But can’t help you with something similar.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a good android podcast app?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I have been using Podcast Addict for years and it's great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azathoth posted:

I have been using Podcast Addict for years and it's great.

I tried that one, it has animated banner ads.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I tried that one, it has animated banner ads.
It's worth it to pay for the ad free version.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Or simply enjoy Pocket Casts and spend your money elsewhere.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nude posted:

If you didn't already know, the guys who run Reply All had a podcast before that called TLDR that is more or less the same https://www.wnycstudios.org/series/tldr

Also the bad video games podcast Abject Suffering ends a lot of its episodes with a segment called GameFaqs Gold where they read weird stuff they found in the guides and discussion board for that week's game.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Also the bad video games podcast Abject Suffering ends a lot of its episodes with a segment called GameFaqs Gold where they read weird stuff they found in the guides and discussion board for that week's game.

thank you for reminding me of this

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
I use an old version of Beyond Pod (3.3.68) because I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't like the interfaces on the newer podcast apps.

I don't think the free version has ads, but I did pay for the full version so I'm not sure.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Splicer posted:

Can anyone recommend any podcasts with a decent panel format? The fplus has completely ruined the standard "two guys talking back and forth at each other with occasional guests" for me forever.

Bonus round: At least one female regular, or multiple female non-regulars.

Super bonus round: Female podcast members not talked over constantly by male podcast members.

e: should probably specify that by panel I just mean that it has a bunch of people per show with at least some interaction between them, not the british panel show format.

Extra Hot Great is a panel-format show about American television. They talk about the latest week in television, older series they recommend, and play games and quizzes. The main hosts are a husband and wife couple and another woman from the entertainment website they all run. I don't watch that much television, so I don't listen to every episode, but I do like the chemistry of the hosts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been listening to Laser Time for a little while now, and though I am amused by the hosts and the subject matter from time to time, every time I finish an episode, I'm like "...Was that it? This is 'Member This?: The Podcast."

Is that seriously all there is with these guys? All of their podcasts seem to be "Hey here's a thing from the '90s or early 2000s. Remember this?" Is there a main podcast they do that I've not noticed, or a website, or are they really just Nostalgia: Audio Version?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

I've been listening to Laser Time for a little while now, and though I am amused by the hosts and the subject matter from time to time, every time I finish an episode, I'm like "...Was that it? This is 'Member This?: The Podcast."

Is that seriously all there is with these guys? All of their podcasts seem to be "Hey here's a thing from the '90s or early 2000s. Remember this?" Is there a main podcast they do that I've not noticed, or a website, or are they really just Nostalgia: Audio Version?

Laser Time's brand is pretty much that yea. Entertaining and fun people just kinda going through nostalgia

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's a good android podcast app?

Pocket Casts is my rec. I tried other apps but keep coming back to PC.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

If you didn't already know, the guys who run Reply All had a podcast before that called TLDR that is more or less the same https://www.wnycstudios.org/series/tldr

Hey thanks :toot:, Abject Suffering is definitely in the wheel house of what I'm looking for.

Nude fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 22, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rotinaj posted:

I enjoy episodes that are about things I have no nostalgia for or were completely unaware even existed so I don't know if it's really fair to dismiss it as a nostalgia show. It's kind of in a midpoint where it's not a single focused case study or narrative but at the same time it's not just a completely unguided and unresearched roundtable discussion about whatever, it's definitely fluff but considering how many unbearable "30-somethings talk loosely about pop culture for an hour" shows come and go every day (see: the entirety of Maximum Fun's failed non-McElroy shows) it's doing something right that a lot of other people aren't.

Also there was a bit of a shakeup at their network and Bob Mackey and Henry Gilbert split Talking Simpsons off into its own network and their approach seems to be a little more focused, their new show What A Cartoon is specifically about animation and picks a single episode of a show and uses that as a springboard to explore the series as a whole. They also seem to be putting more effort to bring in guests (people from Chapo Trap House and We Hate Movies have both done episodes) and interview people who worked on The Simpsons so if you want a more meaty takeaway that might be something to keep an eye on.

Nude posted:

Hey thanks :toot:, Abject Suffering is definitely in the wheel house of what I'm looking for.

If you want some standout weird internet stuff episodes the Kings Quest V episode where they wind up discovering Buffo the Clown and Pesterminator: The Western Exterminator being an advergame for a local pest control chain are both primo.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I couldn't keep my interest up but did TANIS ever finish up their storyline? Was it satisfactory?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Season 4 is going on now and I'm really enjoying it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TV Zombie posted:

I couldn't keep my interest up but did TANIS ever finish up their storyline? Was it satisfactory?

It is still going and they never answer anything. Just more questions and mystery. If you support the patreon and kickstarter they will release an episode that isnt 3/4ths recap.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has there been s Serial/S-Town/Dirty John tier podcast released in the past few months? I need a new tru-crime(ish) miniseries to distract me while I get through these next two working days.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

In The Dark by APM is about the Jacob Wetterling case. It's from 2016 though, so you might have already listened.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Darn, yeah I did.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

There's a good new podcast called Swindled that talks about a new case with each episode, so it isn't telling one story, but there's 10 episodes, they release regularly, are all 30-45 minutes, and the host is a good storyteller.

Also, I'm guessing you have heard of Someone Knows Something from the CBC. But check it out if you haven't.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

fadam posted:

Has there been s Serial/S-Town/Dirty John tier podcast released in the past few months? I need a new tru-crime(ish) miniseries to distract me while I get through these next two working days.

Like I posted on this page, I liked ‘west cork’ a lot. But I think it’s only on audible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, thanks to whoever recommended What a Time to be Alive. Turned episode 1 and they started off talking about 'Nazis' being mad about Wolfenstein The New Colossus so glad I've got one podcast I'm digging since I dropped The Official Podcast after looking into some of the people they talk about.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, thanks to whoever recommended What a Time to be Alive.
Oh my god this is amazing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What is the name of that podcast where a British guy gives plausible explanations for spooky stuff that guests have experienced?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Splicer posted:

Oh my god this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu32fBkiHFE

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

BBC just started doing Death in Ice Valley about the Isdal woman. It’s very good so far but you may already know a bit about the case.

I got the What a Time to Alive suggestion from this thread as well and it has quickly become and favourite podcast.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Anyone got a recommendation on an app that's geared more towards informational podcasts that follow a sequential order (History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps, History of Rome, Revolutions, etc) rather than regular episodes/topical content/radio recordings?

Castro in particular seemed heavily focussed towards managing a large amount of subscriptions to the latter type. I think I'm looking for the opposite of Castro.

iOS/MacOS.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Azathoth posted:

In The Dark by APM is about the Jacob Wetterling case. It's from 2016 though, so you might have already listened.

Season 2 is starting now! First 2 episodes are out, I just finished ep 1 and it was just as well produced and has me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, thanks to whoever recommended What a Time to be Alive. Turned episode 1 and they started off talking about 'Nazis' being mad about Wolfenstein The New Colossus so glad I've got one podcast I'm digging since I dropped The Official Podcast after looking into some of the people they talk about.

you're welcome it's the best

https://twitter.com/frankenspace/status/988901485072171008