Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fancy Hat! posted:

You guys might want to check out http://www.campfangamer.com/ this weekend.

It's a giant crazy Earthbound themed convention/fundraiser for charity. It's completely bonkers and there's so many little attentions to detail (They have a recreation of the Stoic Club for whatever reason.) Also they're selling a really cool Dungeon Man themed shirt and all profits go towards the charity!
A mention of Segata Sanshiro? *pours bottle of DX water*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
I spent 90 minutes grinding Starman Supers purely because it bothers me that Poo does not have a weapon like everyone else. After that, I did not have a lot of trouble with enemies because of my inflated levels. In other news, I just realised that I have accidentally skipped the second melody, so I had to teleport to Threed, rush past Happy Happy village, and defeat the mole Sanctuary Guardian in two hits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerJ posted:

You know what didn't exist back then? Social justice.

That's like saying gay people didn't exist back then.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Fancy Hat! posted:

You guys might want to check out http://www.campfangamer.com/ this weekend.

Today they're giving away a custom built Earthbound arcade cabinet to the top donation. Interesting.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

He didn't reveal much info, but last night Tomato got his hands on an apparently different prototype of Earthbound NES. No idea what's different (if anything) when compared to the proto that's been out there for years.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like Social Justice is a major in college or anything, either.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

They did exist, they just spent all day doing squats at Wall Market and running trains on dudes in hot tubs.

...wait a minute, was it with JRPGs and gay sexual assault and hot tubs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdrfokuDC4

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Momomo posted:

It's not like Social Justice is a major in college or anything, either.
Which is funny because they have poo poo like Feminist Studies. Maybe in a few years.

Campfangamer is starting up. They are violently destroying Earthbound carts. I am throwing up.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2015

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Jesus, this Earthbound Bash on twitch is embarrassing

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nah it's cool

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This looks pretty awesome.

I'm a sucker for the newer Earthbound rom hacks like Hallow's End and Holiday Hex. This looks like it'll be right up there, and will probably be out before the Mother 1 remake (or Mother 4 for that matter :haw:)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gigawhite posted:

Jesus, this Earthbound Bash on twitch is embarrassing

Yes. Yes it is.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I just started playing Mother 3.

drat this game is dark and sad as gently caress. :smith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Ballz posted:

This looks pretty awesome.

I'm a sucker for the newer Earthbound rom hacks like Hallow's End and Holiday Hex. This looks like it'll be right up there, and will probably be out before the Mother 1 remake (or Mother 4 for that matter :haw:)

That looks sweet. Do you have any other EB rom hacks to recommend? I'm finishing up my playthrough and I want more damnit.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

triplexpac posted:

That looks sweet. Do you have any other EB rom hacks to recommend? I'm finishing up my playthrough and I want more damnit.

Holiday Hex -- Kinda short, but real charming and cute.

Hallow's End -- Probably the best Earthbound hack out there to date, IMO. The guy who made it is the main hacker working on the Mother Remake right now, which is why I'm pretty confident that will eventually be finished.

Hat Quest -- It's an older hack so it's not as overhauled as the above two hacks, but it's still pretty fun and in a way a direct sequel to Earthbound involving Jeff and Mr. Saturn.

Mother 2 Deluxe -- Mentioned it here a few times in the past, but this is basically an Earthbound Master Quest. Difficulty has been upped a lot, new attacks, redone graphics, different functionality for items and effects... if you're looking to replay Earthbound but want a new challenge, this is definitely worth checking out.

And lastly, a couple of hacks that are WIP but not released yet:

Unearthed -- A pretty ambitious 100% original story. A lot of work's been done, but completion is still a long ways off. We may get some beta/demo patches at some point.

Mother Remake -- One of the most talked about hacks here. Mother 1 ported to SNES via an Earthbound hack. Uses Tomato's translation, and keeps some elements from Earthbound (like the scrolling HP) to help improve overall gameplay. Maps, enemies and (most) music are done, but there's a lot of work still to do.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 20, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for that! Looking forward to trying Hallow's End especially.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

How Rude posted:

I just started playing Mother 3.

drat this game is dark and sad as gently caress. :smith:

Hope you enjoy it! I think it's the best of the three, but I can see how some people might not like it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I ended up just following the lets play because mother 3's flow is so schizophrenic that the 3 times I tried to play it I always ended up conking out at the Chimera Factory, feeling so detached from the story that I just couldn't muster care anymore.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Coolguye posted:

I ended up just following the lets play because mother 3's flow is so schizophrenic that the 3 times I tried to play it I always ended up conking out at the Chimera Factory, feeling so detached from the story that I just couldn't muster care anymore.

I got beat up by a robot anime maid and was too shamed to continue.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Ballz posted:

Holiday Hex -- Kinda short, but real charming and cute.

Hallow's End -- Probably the best Earthbound hack out there to date, IMO. The guy who made it is the main hacker working on the Mother Remake right now, which is why I'm pretty confident that will eventually be finished.

Hat Quest -- It's an older hack so it's not as overhauled as the above two hacks, but it's still pretty fun and in a way a direct sequel to Earthbound involving Jeff and Mr. Saturn.

Mother 2 Deluxe -- Mentioned it here a few times in the past, but this is basically an Earthbound Master Quest. Difficulty has been upped a lot, new attacks, redone graphics, different functionality for items and effects... if you're looking to replay Earthbound but want a new challenge, this is definitely worth checking out.

And lastly, a couple of hacks that are WIP but not released yet:

Unearthed -- A pretty ambitious 100% original story. A lot of work's been done, but completion is still a long ways off. We may get some beta/demo patches at some point.

Mother Remake -- One of the most talked about hacks here. Mother 1 ported to SNES via an Earthbound hack. Uses Tomato's translation, and keeps some elements from Earthbound (like the scrolling HP) to help improve overall gameplay. Maps, enemies and (most) music are done, but there's a lot of work still to do.

Thanks for this, really hit the spot with holiday hex, will check out the others too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mother 2 Deluxe looks good except for the graphics. Smoothing anything always makes it look like smeared rear end. Doesn't look like a battles become bosses hack either, so that is a plus.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Scalding Coffee posted:

Mother 2 Deluxe looks good except for the graphics. Smoothing anything always makes it look like smeared rear end. Doesn't look like a battles become bosses hack either, so that is a plus.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's just them using emulator options right?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I'm assuming that's just them using emulator options right?

Yes, that's a specific emulator setting, not a product of the hack itself. I should take some screenies myself since it seems to regularly cause confusion.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This is what the smoothing option can look like compared to the original. I have seen worse smoothing that makes objects look like blobs.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

One more hack I forgot to mention that's considered top tier is Hyperbound, although I haven't had a chance to play it myself. It sounds like Earthbound where Ness undergoes an existential crisis. Done by the same guy who's currently working on Unearthed.

Lastly, this is also a thing. I'll show myself out now. :ranbowdash:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

This is what the smoothing option can look like compared to the original. I have seen worse smoothing that makes objects look like blobs.

Holy poo poo, are there any emulators available right now capable of that? And is there a write-up on how it works anywhere?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So how do you learn PSI in Beginnings?

It can't be from levels since I hit level 3, didn't learn anything, then a fight or two later learned Healing Alpha

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
It is based on your level, but sometimes you don't learn an ability until you've battled a few enemies after hitting the appropriate level.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

That still looks loving horrible, though? Sure the tech is impressive but I would never want anything to look like that

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

I refuse to believe thar's not a painting in Photoshop/Sai.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really need to finish this game, I'm at the haunted shopping mall that comes after the mole bros desert thing. I guess I just didn't overlevel enough because I get loving wrecked by whatever comes at me from the first floor and from there I just waste items till the next things kill me. I forgot how loving brutal and lovely the battles can get in this game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I really need to finish this game, I'm at the haunted shopping mall that comes after the mole bros desert thing. I guess I just didn't overlevel enough because I get loving wrecked by whatever comes at me from the first floor and from there I just waste items till the next things kill me. I forgot how loving brutal and lovely the battles can get in this game.

fwiw that's pretty much one of the hardest parts of the game right there, after that it's smooth sailing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Szmitten posted:

I refuse to believe thar's not a painting in Photoshop/Sai.

Yeah, there's shading choices and stuff added that I'm not sure an algorithm would know how to do. Like the glasses, and the way the mouth wraps around the cigarette

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Srice posted:

fwiw that's pretty much one of the hardest parts of the game right there, after that it's smooth sailing.

Yeah, if you don't go in prepared with the Franklin Badge, some Teddy Bears and a pile of Big Bottle Rockets the Department Store can wreck your poo poo.

Mercifully, it's short. Spam the gently caress out of PSI Rockin.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Spamming escape is also a good tactic for the department store. None of the enemies in there are worth fighting and running away removes them from the game same as beating them does.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Srice posted:

for a while the Mole people thing was getting to me since it was pretty long but I overleveled a bit for those. Guess I'll grind it a bit more if it's not that long of a dungeon for the mall.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you find this stuff fascinating you should check out this paper.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The latest from the SNES Mother remake project: a work-in-progress Eight Melodies. :love:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"Carbon dog is weak against PSI Freeze."

Well thanks wiki!

*PSI Freeze Omega does 250 damage.*

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Carbon Dog is weak against multi bottle rockets, like everything in the game.

• Locked thread