Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Wild Planet sardines are great for a beginner. Not fishy at all, just delicious. They have 'em cheap at Costco too, if you can eat 5 tins (you can).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Dregs posted:

I have been on a canned fish kick letely, mostly due to this thread. I branched out. Tried a can of squid in its own ink. Can't recommend it. Mackerel in tomato sauce is nice and fishy. But the best thing I tried was a birthday present from my wife. She ordered it from England, I think,

Like concentrated anchovy paste mixed with butter. Toast and butter some good bread, add a thin layer of this poo poo, and a scrambled egg or two. loving HEAVEN.

my shaving cream comes in a container that looks just like that

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I got yer gentleman's relish right here.

Stay safe Sardine Thread.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hello sardine thread

I've gathered that Beach Cliff are the lovely kind of sardines, but I bought a dozen today because they're 77 cents a can and buy 2, get 1 free.

I've never eaten a sardine but I figure in a worst case scenario I can kind of smoosh them up with some chopped onions and fry a little cake like with tuna or salmon.

Slightly more concerning is the can of smoked oysters I also purchased...I have oft paused in the grocery store to stare at them with equal parts curiosity and fear, but today I finally took the plunge. I opened them up and boy howdy they sure do smell oyster-y. I drained the liquid and threw in some sherry vinegar and then just covered them up to let them chill for awhile. I guess we'll see.

I'm scared goons. Real scared.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I always get king oscars at a little over $3 each. I personally wouldn't trust sardines for under a dollar, ever

edit: haha wow looks like beach cliff really is that bad according to amazon reviews http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B0025UCHZY

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 4, 2014

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yea canned fish is not something to be cheap about. i mean you are already eating canned fish. dont push your luck

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Are anchovies good on crackers or by themselves or with cheese or are they usually just a topping/ingredient? They sure are way more expensive somehow.

Going to see if there are more fresh dinis at the market today... what should I make?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like to eat anchovies by themselves or on crackers.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fisticuffs posted:

Are anchovies good on crackers or by themselves or with cheese or are they usually just a topping/ingredient? They sure are way more expensive somehow.

Going to see if there are more fresh dinis at the market today... what should I make?

soak them, in red wine vinegar to reduce the saltiness, eat them

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Zoe posted:

Hello sardine thread

I've gathered that Beach Cliff are the lovely kind of sardines, but I bought a dozen today because they're 77 cents a can and buy 2, get 1 free.

I've never eaten a sardine but I figure in a worst case scenario I can kind of smoosh them up with some chopped onions and fry a little cake like with tuna or salmon.

Slightly more concerning is the can of smoked oysters I also purchased...I have oft paused in the grocery store to stare at them with equal parts curiosity and fear, but today I finally took the plunge. I opened them up and boy howdy they sure do smell oyster-y. I drained the liquid and threw in some sherry vinegar and then just covered them up to let them chill for awhile. I guess we'll see.

I'm scared goons. Real scared.

Oysters are great; I usually put a little bit of hot sauce on top before eating.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hey

wtf do i do with raw anchovies

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

hey

wtf do i do with raw anchovies

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/puttanesca-i/

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

you put them in your mouth and swallow them like a manly man.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

BadOptics posted:

Oysters are great; I usually put a little bit of hot sauce on top before eating.

You'll want to be a little bit careful with the bargain canned oysters. Most of them come from China and were cultured in beds contaminated with both human waste and melamine. :( It's why Campbell's stopped making their oyster stew.

Beach Cliff is just cheapo low-grade sardines afk, nothing scary like contamination. Some people like the stronger taste. They're the brand of choice for my dog, she likes 'em fishy as hell.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I've always been taught that green on meat = bad, so if someone can tell me why the green on those oysters is okay then I can stop feeling sick looking at them

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
has anyone ventured in to the world of salt cod yet? i had some portuguese style quenelles that were really good..i guess its not as sustainable as the smaller fishes..already been through kippers and all manner of bristling 'dines as a 'dine fiend n 'chovie chap im lookin to branch out

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

bought some more sardines but the last ones were surprisingly filling so i gotta make sure i'm hungry enough before i open one

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
could kill for some chilly 'dinos right now but all I've got is lame tuna and mackerel

e: got some "anchovy-style sprats" from ikea. are those likely to be edible?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Geoff Zahn posted:

I've always been taught that green on meat = bad, so if someone can tell me why the green on those oysters is okay then I can stop feeling sick looking at them

I could tell you why, but I have the feeling it's only going to make you feel sicker.

hint: it is not on, it is in

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Geoff Zahn posted:

How many posts do you have on this page that might as well just say "I'm a pussy!"

Just eat one

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 9, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

my shaving cream comes in a container that looks just like that

Taylor of Old Bond Street? I like their almond scent.

Also I read about the relish and it sounds awesome.

quote:

smoked oysters

I don't eat them on their own, but I do use them to make stuffing instead of using giblets or other meats. loving owns. Smoked oyster stuffing in roasted cornish game hens basted with an apricot glaze. Do it. Make this happen for yourself.

edit: cooked oysters and even large mussels have green in them like that, it just happens. it's not 'rot' or something, they're just green. They live in water and filter tiny algae what do you want?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Their stomach contents make them tasty imo

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bonestructure posted:

You'll want to be a little bit careful with the bargain canned oysters. Most of them come from China and were cultured in beds contaminated with both human waste and melamine. :( It's why Campbell's stopped making their oyster stew.

Beach Cliff is just cheapo low-grade sardines afk, nothing scary like contamination. Some people like the stronger taste. They're the brand of choice for my dog, she likes 'em fishy as hell.

would campbells really discontinue a soup because people found out that it had turds in it rather than just buy oysters from a slightly more decent source?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There used to be a Chinese buffet here with huge loving mussels in what was (I think) an 'oyster sauce sauce' on their line. Big enough to cut in half and have a decent chunk of. The key was to get a mussel, some of the garlic glazed green beans, and some rice on the fork at the same time. Ah god...so good.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

extra stout posted:

would campbells really discontinue a soup because people found out that it had turds in it rather than just buy oysters from a slightly more decent source?

yes because it has to sell for around $1.50 a can and they have to make a profit on that. That reminds me I should make oyster stew now that it's cold again.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is this really a 46 page thread about sardines, or is there some videogame chat or something buried in the middle?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll tell you after you post a YouTube video of you eating an entire tin of sardines, while holding a sign saying, "I like sardines."

e: great, my first mod sass, and it's a dumb one

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

Is this really a 46 page thread about sardines, or is there some videogame chat or something buried in the middle?

This really is a 46 page thread about sardines and sometimes about other sea creatures and no there are no derails. I'd never tried sardines but because of this thread I eat them every day now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

This really is a 46 page thread about sardines and sometimes about other sea creatures and no there are no derails. I'd never tried sardines but because of this thread I eat them every day now.

GBS works.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

GBS works.

Well saying you consume something daily that you never did before is a better testimonial in a GBS thread than one in TCC

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

redshirt posted:

GBS works.

Maybe you should too.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

:iceburn:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Well saying you consume something daily that you never did before is a better testimonial in a GBS thread than one in TCC

I agree, though now I wonder if Big Sardine is behind this thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Maybe you should too.

Dayum.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i tried sardines because of the thread

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

I'll tell you after you post a YouTube video of you eating an entire tin of sardines, while holding a sign saying, "I like sardines."

e: great, my first mod sass, and it's a dumb one

to be fair, it's a pretty dumb mod being sassed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sizone posted:

to be fair, it's a pretty dumb mod being sassed

Harsh but true.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

I agree, though now I wonder if Big Sardine is behind this thread.

Known around these parts as The King.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
I ordered a whole case of King Oscar's and... they're delicious. I definitely like the smaller sardines, but are there any upper tier brands that use brisling dinis without removing the bones? The calcium is good for you and also provides a texture that I think compliments them. And it's cool to eat bones why remove the bones I wanna eat those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sizone posted:

I could tell you why, but I have the feeling it's only going to make you feel sicker.

hint: it is not on, it is in

platedlizard posted:

Their stomach contents make them tasty imo

Actually, I feel less sick finding out it's just stomach contents. I thought it was rotting. Anything is better than that.

• Locked thread