Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

coloncalamity posted:

This is a pretty ubiquitous aspect of Chinese culture and doesn't really belong in your list imo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-crotch_pants

quote:

However, Western advocates of the elimination communication method of toilet training have pointed to the advantages of their use, specifically that children complete their toilet training more quickly and at an earlier age

Yeah, toilet training flies by when you skip the whole "using the toilet" part. See: the rest of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007
hehe it's like diarrhea get it
these are autocomplete suggestions for "why [do/are] foreigners..." baidu.com is chinese google basically

TRANSLATION: why do/are foreigners...
...so good at sex (very rough translation)
...dicks so big
...don't "sit the month"*
...so strong
...discriminate against chinese people
...so handsome

checked this myself and no it is not photoshopped

*sitting the month is a super weird thing that somehow has not been mentioned in this thread yet, maybe because goons. china has extremely backwards ideas about women's hygiene. this comes up a lot with periods. sitting the month comes up less often, but it gets so much weirder. basically it's a period of approximately one month following childbirth where the mother is expected to just lay around and not bathe and eat weird poo poo. there's a lot of regional variation on this subject and i'd love to hear anecdotes but that's the gist. i think there used to be a full article on wikipedia about it but this is all i could find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_period#East_Asia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Being a white devil owns

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007
hehe it's like diarrhea get it
i unironically feel serious white guilt over making the men throughout the most populous country in the world feel generally insecure about their masculinity

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coloncalamity posted:

i unironically feel serious white guilt over making the men throughout the most populous country in the world feel generally insecure about their masculinity

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I think I've decided to move to China.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

coloncalamity posted:

It wasn't you - it was them losing every war they ever fought unless it was against themselves.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

This is just some random white dude, right?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

This is just some random white dude, right?

dont talk about donnie that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxRYMATrHY

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

coloncalamity posted:

White guilt :laffo:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Universe Master posted:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My friend lived in China for a couple years, he went into a store in a mall and when he came out there was a crowd of people with their phones waiting for him.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

coloncalamity posted:

I think it owns actually.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

coloncalamity posted:

*sitting the month is a super weird thing that somehow has not been mentioned in this thread yet, maybe because goons. china has extremely backwards ideas about women's hygiene. this comes up a lot with periods. sitting the month comes up less often, but it gets so much weirder. basically it's a period of approximately one month following childbirth where the mother is expected to just lay around and not bathe and eat weird poo poo. there's a lot of regional variation on this subject and i'd love to hear anecdotes but that's the gist. i think there used to be a full article on wikipedia about it but this is all i could find.

In the North East apparently Eggs and Broth are the two big winners for "sitting the month" meals. This is something that is somewhat outdated/relevant depending on where you live and your standard of living. If you're from a poor rural area and it's cold, you want a pregnant woman to stay warm and comfortable, not catch a cold or come into contact with sick people outside. The lack a bathing for this month originated from, "we don't have a bath or a shower in our home, should we walk a few km to the nearest communal bath/shower/river or wait until the mother is stronger?" and has morphed into, "it's healthy for the mother to not bathe for . . . reasons". Assuming your mother/mother in law isn't too old-fashioned or too bossy, most new mothers who can, will have a bath/shower in their home/apartment because they see it as being silly as well to not do so.

99% of this tradition is to keep the mother from getting cold (which is the #1 cause of all health issues according to Chinese doctors and moms)

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Professor Shark posted:

My friend lived in China for a couple years, he went into a store in a mall and when he came out there was a crowd of people with their phones waiting for him.

Was there anything interesting about him besides "white?" I'm like 6'5" and weigh as much as three Chinamen. Could I just go to China and live on freak appeal?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Universe Master posted:

Come spend a few days in the China thread and see what ya think.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

not really surprising, in a country of a billion (mostly) identical people anyone different looks like an alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTDiqcBwB0

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

goldboilermark posted:

Come spend a few days in the China thread and see what ya think.

I could sort of see living North of Beijing in Changchun, Shenyang, Jilin, or Dalien, but it's the downtime that I think would kill me. If you're not an alcoholic, gluttonous chainsmoking, shopaholic, whoremongerer, there really isn't a lot to do recreation wise. Problem is that the average Chinese man works, goes out with the guys and drinks, bangs a hooker, then stumbles home around 2:00am and gets 4-6 hours of sleep before the cycle starts over again. It's not like there are a lot of sports clubs (unless you're a student) or a lot of hobby options. I like woodworking, but getting the tools, wood and space means that could never happen unless I opened my own factory. Also as a foreigner, you're supposed to register at the police station or 4 star hotel* every time you go to a new city.

*apparently foreigners are not allowed to stay at anything under a "4 star" hotel, but I have never had an issue with slumming it in $10 a night places while waiting for a train or plane.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Can I move to China and open a Texas barbecue restaurant, and make tons of money?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Can I move to China and open a Texas barbecue restaurant, and make tons of money?

no. you can however teach spoiled fat chinese kids the abc song and maybe have aspirations at being some conglomerate's pet white person

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Universe Master posted:

then you could be average at everything you suck at over here

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

It's like going to live with the Moon people and finding out you have super powers and enhanced ethics

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blugu64 posted:

Sure, there's a few in Tianjin. They make good money.

Frostwerks posted:

lol yes

Blistex posted:

I could sort of see living North of Beijing in Changchun, Shenyang, Jilin, or Dalien, but it's the downtime that I think would kill me. If you're not an alcoholic, gluttonous chainsmoking, shopaholic, whoremongerer, there really isn't a lot to do recreation wise. Problem is that the average Chinese man works, goes out with the guys and drinks, bangs a hooker, then stumbles home around 2:00am and gets 4-6 hours of sleep before the cycle starts over again. It's not like there are a lot of sports clubs (unless you're a student) or a lot of hobby options. I like woodworking, but getting the tools, wood and space means that could never happen unless I opened my own factory. Also as a foreigner, you're supposed to register at the police station or 4 star hotel* every time you go to a new city.

*apparently foreigners are not allowed to stay at anything under a "4 star" hotel, but I have never had an issue with slumming it in $10 a night places while waiting for a train or plane.

The lack of recreational stuff used to be a problem. Now I swim every day after work, go home and chill with my wife, read, and once or twice a week meet up with friends to watch sports. I can't do poo poo outside which kind of sucks but I have a good routine I like, so that's not too bad.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Most of the dumb poo poo people attribute to China being China is even worse in less developed countries. It's just weird to see it alongside modern infrastructure, I guess. If we had an india.jpg thread half the pics would be mutilated beggars covered head to toe in poo poo instead of street-making GBS threads pics.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Smeef posted:

Most of the dumb poo poo people attribute to China being China is even worse in less developed countries. It's just weird to see it alongside modern infrastructure, I guess. If we had an india.jpg thread half the pics would be mutilated beggars covered head to toe in poo poo instead of street-making GBS threads pics.

um.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

yea just saw it :ughh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

coloncalamity posted:

gooch repair is serious

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

I hear dog fur coats are a thing especially in northern China closer to the Russian border. Is it used just for trim and collars or do they make full length overcoats too? How much cheaper is it over conventional furs like fox?

I would love some first hand insight on it if anyone knows.
Googling it just brings up PETA sites

What the fur was I don't know but they are very popular in the North for those that can afford them (not many). Men generally have one that is waist length, women have one that goes to the knees. The whole coat is fur.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 3, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

TBF, if a group of Westerners formed a Stalin-themed band, no one would lift a finger, despite the fact that Stalin was arguably about as bad as Hitler, and inarguably killed more people.

stop denying the unique and incomparable nature of the holocaust you antisemite

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

coloncalamity posted:

probably the point is to make sure the infant isnt exposed to some making GBS threads disease that will kill them, and also so the mothers dont go straight back to 10+ hours of grueling housework just like women in every other pre-industrial country.

like the whole "hide the newborn + mother" thing is common to a ton of cultures worldwide.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mao killed more than Hitler and Stalin combined.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mao killed more than Hitler and Stalin combined.

He banged a lot of whores, so his STD killcount could be in the millions if you assume that every prostitute he nailed slept with an additional 100 guys, then those guys had sex with other prostitutes, which in turn...

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

He banged a lot of whores, so his STD killcount could be in the millions if you assume that every prostitute he nailed slept with an additional 100 guys, then those guys had sex with other prostitutes, which in turn...

Che was HIV patient zero

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone remember who that poster was (like 2 years ago) that believed that China is justified in annexing Tibet, the South China Sea, and pretty much any part of Asian that a Chinese person has visited since the beginning of time?

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
whats the deal with deer dick wine?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Blistex posted:

Anyone remember who that poster was (like 2 years ago) that believed that China is justified in annexing Tibet, the South China Sea, and pretty much any part of Asian that a Chinese person has visited since the beginning of time?

was that Pro PRC Laowai

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Frog Act posted:

was that Pro PRC Laowai

That would be the obvious guess, but I keep thinking "Throat Warbubble" ?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

Yeah, toilet training flies by when you skip the whole "using the toilet" part. See: the rest of this thread.

Some parents in the West have even begun putting their own children in kaidangku.[5]

Oh yeah man we just think its so much better for the child. now excuse me i got to pick up my son's poop with a plastic bag.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
An ex told me that if a pregnant woman took a shower that she would hurt for the rest of her life. She also swore up and down that computer screens would give you a tan. She claims cold drinks make her fart. Cats only eat fish. Etc.

This is a college educated girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chickenwalker posted:

An ex told me that if a pregnant woman took a shower that she would hurt for the rest of her life. She also swore up and down that computer screens would give you a tan. She claims cold drinks make her fart. Cats only eat fish. Etc.

This is a college educated girl.

Well she weny out with you, I doubt she's what you'd call sharp

• Locked thread