Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Ligur posted:

Onneksi on unelma. Joo jaa, ei tässä mitään ihmeempää kyllä ne tulijat on liberaaleja sosiaalidemareita kuitenkin yleensä, ja kyllähän persutkin kivittää transuja rangaistukseksi niin sen takia ei voi olla huolestunut mistään paitsi persuista.

en puhu natsia ja sivu ei muutenkaan toimi adblockilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nauta posted:

Saan kohta jäähyä koska postasin jonneen ehkä jotain elä huoli

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mihin vitun jonneen? Could we please have a rule that if you can't post in English, you at least have to post in Finnish?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Nauta posted:

https://translate.google.com/transl...bildMobile.html

Tl;dr some swarty young men decided to maintain public morality by assaulting two transsexuals. The site seems a bit weird tho, as do the translations of the other articles. Idk.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Rexroom posted:

your woman

your girl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is this the beginning of the chorus of a Bacharach track?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I will abuse the english language and not feel bad about it at all.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
It sounds just as bad in Finnish :mrapig:

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
very problematic

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah but there are still different cultural standards for what constitutes abuse/violence (a slap? restraining someone? or just flat out smacking your bitch up) and maybe cultural differences even in answering the survey

Do you have any reason to suspect that the cultural differences between European women in this regard are so pronounced as to affect the results in any meaningful way?

e: I'm not saying you're wrong, mind, but I had a quick look through the questionnaire, and, considering the questions, I deem it very unlikely.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 17, 2016

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Do you have any reason to suspect that the cultural differences between European women in this regard are so pronounced as to affect the results in any meaningful way?

yes. questionnaire surveys are the most unreliable form of statistics

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Nauta posted:

yes. questionnaire surveys are the most unreliable form of statistics

And yet criminologists generally view victimization surveys as the most realistic measure of crime. Weird.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
maybe because it's hard to measure victimization in other ways?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Question no N: Have you had any hard objects thrown at you lately?

German Fraulein: Nein. Well there was a vase, I guess, but it wasn't TEMPERED KRUPP STEEL. So no, definitely not!

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
exactly

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

e: I'm not saying you're wrong, mind, but I had a quick look through the questionnaire, and, considering the questions, I deem it very unlikely.

People don't tell the truth about taboo or shameful subjects even in a perfectly worded survey.

I'd claim that there are considerable cultural differences about this and many other things even between different generations of people currently living in Finland. I personally know some older people who still think that divorce or breast cancer are so embarrassing that they should never be spoken of. It is not at all implausible to think that maybe there are differences between countries, when there certainly are even within countries.

Yours is a bit of a trick question though. I'm guessing that most courteous people would be unwilling to speculate how Spain, Italy, Austria, Poland or Greece maybe underreport their numbers (note: maybe the Pope has banned beating women, see also Ireland), because making such an accusation without good evidence is really quite rude. So let me ask the question this way: Is there a good reason to believe that the Danes actually abuse their women 50-300% more as any of those five nationalities. What makes the Danes so much worse than anyone else?

Note that there isn't an existing stereotype of a sulky and violent Dane, like there is of a Finn. Is this really the reason why the numbers are more believable about Finland than about Denmark? That it corresponds with our pre-existing notions and stereotypes?

edit: misread the scale on the map

vuohi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 17, 2016

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

vuohi posted:

Yours is a bit of a trick question though. I'm guessing that most courteous people would be unwilling to speculate how Spain, Italy, Austria, Poland or Greece maybe underreport their numbers (note: maybe the Pope has banned beating women, see also Ireland), because making such an accusation without good evidence is really quite rude. So let me ask the question this way: Is there a good reason to believe that the Danes actually abuse their women 50-300% more as any of those five nationalities. What makes the Danes so much worse than anyone else?

I don't care (or know enough, really) to speculate (although I'm tempted to answer "this survey, for one"). But let's posit there are none; what cultural mores, then, could explain the differences between the women surveyed in Denmark on the one hand, and the women surveyed in the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden on the other, to the extent that they understand and/or answer questions such as (literally) "have you had any hard objects thrown at you" differently? Four culturally very similar countries? And why, then, should have I reason to believe that those cultural differences are a more likely explanation to the answers given, than, you know, the women having actually experienced X thing or not?

e: It seems, to me, an odd conclusion to draw, although I do not (obviously) discount the possibility.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Haha, the forum title now reflects the primary mental occupation of far too many posters.

Wonder if that's sarcasm!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ligur posted:

Haha, the forum title now reflects the primary mental occupation of far too many posters.

Wonder if that's sarcasm!

Hmm The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: Ligur Is Racist is what I see so no it's not sarcasm.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You forgot to say that is what you literally see.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Calling people racists can have dire consequences: http://www.hs.fi/paivanlehti/17012016/a1452832390604

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

I don't care (or know enough, really) to speculate (although I'm tempted to answer "this survey, for one"). But let's posit there are none; what cultural mores, then, could explain the differences between the women surveyed in Denmark on the one hand, and the women surveyed in the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden on the other, to the extent that they understand and/or answer questions such as (literally) "have you had any hard objects thrown at you" differently? Four culturally very similar countries? And why, then, should have I reason to believe that those cultural differences are a more likely explanation to the answers given, then, you know, the women having actually experienced X thing or not?

e: It seems, to me, an odd conclusion to draw, although I do not (obviously) discount the possibility.
First, based on that map, we don't know if the difference between Denmark and the rest of Central Europe is 1 or 10 percentage points. Maybe there isn't a considerable difference between these culturally quite similar countries, even though the change in colouring on the map is dramatic. What we do know is that the reported difference between Denmark and Poland/Greece/Austria is at least 11 percentage points, with Denmark reporting more than 50 percent higher numbers.

Second, as we can assume from the surprising difference between Poland (conservative, less affluent, former Soviet bloc, high general crime level) and Denmark (liberal, affluent, Central Europe, low general crime level) that people probably don't always answer truthfully even to a perfectly clear questionnaire. Or that people who would have to give answers that they would consider shameful, embarrassing or distressing just don't answer at all, skewing the results through omission. Any basic book or course about the quantitative methodology of social studies will tell you this, and since we are talking about the interpretation of statistics on the internet, I assume that you have gone to a such course.

If a quantitative social study produces results that heavily contradict common sense, it is pretty much a good reason to consider that study suspect until further study is done. Especially if the subject is something that immediately roils a lot of emotions for and against. I'm sure you have seen this happen plenty of times.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

SnowblindFatal posted:

Calling people racists can have dire consequences: http://www.hs.fi/paivanlehti/17012016/a1452832390604

couple pages back people snarked that this isn't a thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nauta posted:

couple pages back people snarked that this isn't a thing

They did? It was on the news (foreign news) months ago.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
they sure did

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nauta posted:

they sure did

I don't actually read what other people post here :shrug:

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
well to be fair it might have been just one person. i don't recall all the details and i don't care enough to double check

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nauta posted:

well to be fair it might have been just one person. i don't recall all the details and i don't care enough to double check

I hope it wasn't me.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Natsit häiriköimässä ihmisiä kaduilla! eiku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85LwLsvSfc

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

vuohi posted:

First, based on that map, we don't know if the difference between Denmark and the rest of Central Europe is 1 or 10 percentage points. Maybe there isn't a considerable difference between these culturally quite similar countries, even though the change in colouring on the map is dramatic. What we do know is that the reported difference between Denmark and Poland/Greece/Austria is at least 11 percentage points, with Denmark reporting more than 50 percent higher numbers.

Second, as we can assume from the surprising difference between Poland (conservative, less affluent, former Soviet bloc, high general crime level) and Denmark (liberal, affluent, Central Europe, low general crime level) that people probably don't always answer truthfully even to a perfectly clear questionnaire. Or that people who would have to give answers that they would consider shameful, embarrassing or distressing just don't answer at all, skewing the results through omission. Any basic book or course about the quantitative methodology of social studies will tell you this, and since we are talking about the interpretation of statistics on the internet, I assume that you have gone to a such course.

If a quantitative social study produces results that heavily contradict common sense, it is pretty much a good reason to consider that study suspect until further study is done. Especially if the subject is something that immediately roils a lot of emotions for and against. I'm sure you have seen this happen plenty of times.

I acknowledge your second and third point both, except I don't think that the results, in this case, necessarily contradict common sense as much as they challenge, perhaps, poorly supported preconceptions.

As for point one:

e: I almost forgot: literally! Hi ligur! :hitler:

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 18, 2016

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJUqhm2g08

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So how long until someoneLigur suggests muslim vihervassarisuvakkihuora immigrant refugees murdered the dead dude found at Teuvo "Neekeriukko" Hakkarainen's firm as a suvakkijihad retaliation for him standing up to the homo terror that is literally destroying Finland?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(My bet: it's already happened but I can't confirm since I don't read Homma or MV)

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Have you considered posting on reddit, you might be happier there

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
it's funny because it's true :smug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nauta posted:

it's funny because it's true :smug:

Happiness is never true.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I don't think I've ever heard of groups of Finnish men acting like this, vaikka kuinka intetään että kyllähän suomalaisetkin. First it was the rape and general molesting wave, now we read about group harassment with groping and punching of women involved regularly? Ei vittu! Now that these guys are here, I'm afraid women have to get used to this being the new normal, since to the joy of unelmaväki, we can't get rid of them either unless they personally want to leave :suicide:

Ihanaa rikkautta mitä jerrycotton -osasto on tänne tilannut. Kyllä nyt kelpaa! <3

What boggles the mind is that the same people who are going out of their minds because "Soldiers of Odin" patrol the streets (exactly because the above happens) are very, very silent when it comes to these very real group harassment cases, as long as the perpetrators are the "correct" people.

I don't get the double standard. Even less, as there are no known cases of the volunteer patrols actually doing anything, when the opposite is true when it comes these new comers.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

I acknowledge your second and third point both, except that the results, in this case, necessarily contradict common sense as much as they challenge, perhaps, poorly supported preconceptions.

Yours is also a fair point, and I do I hope that the idea "I am probably unaware of the amount of domestic violence happening around me" becomes a part of "the common sense" as soon as possible.

Just to make it clear, whether Denmark, Finland or Netherlands has 25, 30 or 32 percent of the women experience domestic violence in their lifetimes, any of those is a high number and I don't mean to belittle that in the least. Even if the definition of violence is a very broad one, that kind of results are very unfortunate.

I do have a bone to pick with the press reporting these things inaccurately or in a sensationalist manner, and that's why I can be a bit pedantic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Welp, it's now literally been proven that street patrols do not, in fact, increase security. A bunch of people attacked a kebab restaurant and three people got stabbed. Now I'm not saying it was a street patrol that attacked the kebab place but obviously Oulu is not in a state of heightened security if brouhahas like this can take place. Natsikkihuoras 0, suvakkihuoras 1 :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Welp, it's now literally been proven that street patrols do not, in fact, increase security. A bunch of people attacked a kebab restaurant and three people got stabbed. Now I'm not saying it was a street patrol that attacked the kebab place but obviously Oulu is not in a state of heightened security if brouhahas like this can take place. Natsikkihuoras 0, suvakkihuoras 1 :smugmrgw:

Is kebab a sacrifice you are willing to make?