Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder why women don't want to stick around the x men films, hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

This has got to be a first. Storm had TOO much screen time in the X-Men movies? :psyduck:

Storm taking out Jason Wyngard makes tactical sense because he's an illusionist and you just area of attack that bullshit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She made Charles realize he was in an illusion because it was suddenly very cold and it didn't match the scene the telepathic kid was presenting him. I thought it was clever enough. The entire Alkali Lake attack involved a bunch of them splitting up and doing separate tasks, they all had to succeed for the plot to work as it did. Because like you said, it is an ensemble film.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I actually like storm alot but she needs a good actress to work. Framing this as a gender thing is idiotic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fsmhunk posted:

I actually like storm alot but she needs a good actress to work.
Personally, I was all hyped for "Winds of the Arctic, Blow my enemies AWAYYYYY / Typhoon! Typhoon! Typhoon!" Overwrought supergoddess storm. Not whatever Berry sleepwalked in with.

Plus the StormCreep meant you pared down the chance someone else could come in and be interesting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fsmhunk posted:

I actually like storm alot but she needs a good actress to work. Framing this as a gender thing is idiotic.

Ever character needs a good actor to work. Berry has won Oscars.

Just saying the complaints about her are very similar to the same about JLaw, and ScarJo, two also very good actresses.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

No, that's stupid. She was used reasonably in the first movie, because it was ensemble VS ensemble.

But having her take out the telepath by making it very cold was dumb and it's really clearly shoehorned and it's because she's Halle Berry.

Are you like, not familiar with Storm's status as one of the quintessential X-men?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Plus the StormCreep meant you pared down the chance someone else could come in and be interesting.

Yeah, uh, if you were worried about this you should be complaining about Wolverine, not Storm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Just saying the complaints about her are very similar to the same about JLaw, and ScarJo, two also very good actresses.

They also say it about James Marsden and Shawn Ashmore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

They also say it about James Marsden and Shawn Ashmore.

And Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's almost like people have very specific expectations about 50+ old characters.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All would have been forgiven with Storm in the original trilogy if this line was included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

All would have been forgiven with Storm in the original trilogy if this line was included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

Anyone have "WIND"?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

greatn posted:

Angela Bassett or nothing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, uh, if you were worried about this you should be complaining about Wolverine, not Storm.
Very true, but the writers gave Wolverine some good stuff to do. You know, the gruff yells and angry looks.

It's super bullshit that he takes out Phoenix in X3 though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She lets him.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This would have been amazing! Also lol at the idea oscars mean anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

She lets him.

He should have hit her with the cure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He wouldn't have been able to bring one into her death field I guess.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

He wouldn't have been able to bring one into her death field I guess.

He should've keistered it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Samira Wiley if you wanna cast younger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have read that Rachel Luttrell was also considered for Storm in the first movie.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I was pleasantly surprised by Apocalypse, I liked it a lot better than DOFP. Singer still feels like he's still making a first generation superhero movie 15 years too late but this feels like the best one he was ever going to be able to make.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Did a back to back of Civil War and Apocalypse, and holy poo poo was X Men a step down in every way. We all came out of Civil War laughing and talking about our favorite parts. We came out of X Men trying to remember the good parts.

Civil War have characters more personality in a fight scene than X Men did in the whole movie.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
What did you expect? yellow spandex?
/

Even after all the Avengers and Deadpool Singer can't embrace what the comics are. With the muddling reviews I can't be bothered seeing it because it really sounds like he's been making all the same mistakes since he started.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goffer posted:

/

Even after all the Avengers and Deadpool Singer can't embrace what the comics are. With the muddling reviews I can't be bothered seeing it because it really sounds like he's been making all the same mistakes since he started.

To my understanding they actually get real superhero costumes at the end of the film or something?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They look like mass effect characters.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Speaking of X-Men costumes, here's a good video about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BXP5XAkPt4

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Goffer posted:

/

I understand the argument that as a team they should all be wearing matching stuff and that it makes sense for it to be the black stuff. Like in X-Men Evolution. Rather, I understand why people could be in favor of it on paper. In practice it always looks pretty bad though.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

ImpAtom posted:

To my understanding they actually get real superhero costumes at the end of the film or something?

There's one shot of them in other costumes at the very end. The whole final fight is done in stuff they find laying around.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Apocalypse felt like 4 movies at once and none of them were good.

Did anyone else get a message before the movie from the actress who played Storm talking about how so many people worked really hard on it? Or have a text message at the end again talking about all the jobs the movie created?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I had the Storm actress talking in the beginning, which was weird, but I didn't stay to see anything at the end.
Did X Men have a post credit scene?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I had the Storm actress talking in the beginning, which was weird, but I didn't stay to see anything at the end.
Did X Men have a post credit scene?

Yes.

It was people going through the Weapon X facility, getting a blood sample, then putting it in a suitcase that said ESSEX CORP on it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Kind of? They're still just leather suits but Mystique's has the comic colour scheme on it.

The costuming is by far the worst aspect of this film and I do like it overall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, the final scene of the movie has the new version of the X-Men, which are Storm, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Cyclops and Quicksilver with Mystique leading and everybody is in variations of their comic costumes. The stuff they wear in the big action scene against Apocalypse and the Horsemen are "flight suits" that they steal from a government facility, basically kind of like what they did in First Class.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

For some reason they released pictures of those costumes despite being literally the final scene of the film (not counting the post credits scene).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hakkesshu posted:

Kind of? They're still just leather suits but Mystique's has the comic colour scheme on it.
Nightcrawler's was openly red. I think even Jean and Scott's end-of-film suits are pretty distinct and really evoke their 90s suits.

It's just unfortunate that modern costume technology is still unable to give us Jean's kooky 90s face-mask thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Veotax posted:

For some reason they released pictures of those costumes despite being literally the final scene of the film (not counting the post credits scene).

I want to say that the literal last shot of the movie the door closing on Prof X has been in trailers/commercials.

It's kind of weird how in these three new X-Men movies there hasn't really been an "X-Men" team for very much of them. There's the finale of First Class and the very end of Apocalypse but not at all in Days of Future Past.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

muscles like this? posted:

I want to say that the literal last shot of the movie the door closing on Prof X has been in trailers/commercials.

It's kind of weird how in these three new X-Men movies there hasn't really been an "X-Men" team for very much of them. There's the finale of First Class and the very end of Apocalypse but not at all in Days of Future Past.

The X-Men in DOFP are the future team who mostly get killed by Sentinels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair it wouldn't make much sense with the movie's plot for them to have costumes before the end.

• Locked thread