Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jagchosis posted:

warsz stopped pming me around when he found out i gave up on my legal career

we both had a giddy celebration of the outcome of fisher v. texas mk. ii a few weeks back via steam PMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i especially adore the little hand gesture he does at the end

it's magical

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She had numerous attempts on her life didn't she?

Gonna let kkk field this one

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Gonna let kkk field this one

lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure that exposing the working class to global capital to intentionally suppress wages and destroy the Labour movement probably didn't help race relations

But historically the british labour movement has a pretty good record on these kinds of questions so it's pretty sad to see it all come to this

the british labour party doesn't care about the british labour movement

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I think I remember many goons being very upset about people being happy about Thatcher's death back when it happened.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jagchosis posted:

oh so youre that guy

lol no, i am just making the case that having things explained thoroughly doesn't make you "thick"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

On one side of the table you had a guy who had moved against the political current to arrange a top table agreement and was willing to force through unpalatable constitutional changes to cooperfast a diplomatic solution. On the other side you had a bemused Thatcher who didn't exactly understand what all this was about.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randler posted:

I think I remember many goons being very upset about people being happy about Thatcher's death back when it happened.

i mean it was terribly distasteful, in the sense that the exultant celebrations when osama bin laden was killed were distasteful

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Randler posted:

goons love respectability politics

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Randler posted:

my Facebook was tone argument central at the time

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ding dong the witch is dead getting a brief renaissance was, however, really funny

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why are the flags at half staff?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean it was terribly distasteful,

No it wasn't. :colbert:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
that all death is the worst thing ever and should never be celebrated is probably the single stupidest thing liberals believe

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think it would be in bad taste to picket a private funeral but she had a loving state funeral in St Pauls cathedral on the taxpayers dime that she'd been lovingly and gleefully planning for years

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol no, i am just making the case that having things explained thoroughly doesn't make you "thick"

dpends on who you are and what it is. if you are PM I hope you aren't starting from the bottom

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
oh youre glad scalia died!! you monster!! *world becomes better place the instant he died*

everyone dies you idiot wieners

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

RNC is still ongoing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

that all death is the worst thing ever and should never be celebrated is probably the single stupidest thing liberals believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB58PuNYO8o

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

I think it would be in bad taste to picket a private funeral but she had a loving state funeral in St Pauls cathedral on the taxpayers dime that she'd been lovingly and gleefully planning for years

oh yeah that was pretty disgusting

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jagchosis posted:

oh youre glad scalia died!! you monster!! *world becomes better place the instant he died*

this only applies for conservative heroes dying, mind. see: osama bin laden's assassination

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

It's not like scalia died in his youth without doing virtually everything he wanted with his life short of becoming Pope and abolishing all legislation from after 1800 either

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the state funeral, that is

it's the sort of event that i'd not be that upset about if were the target of a vicious terrorist attack

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

half of thatchers foreign policy involved sending notes to the foreign office saying "do this" and then them responding with "are you sure that's really dumb" and she would get really mad

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Mr Hootington posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
you can dislike thatcher's politics and still think it's fantastic that a woman was elected pm

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lotka Volterra posted:

this only applies for conservative heroes dying, mind. see: osama bin laden's assassination

I think if someone shot thatcher in the face I might have qualms about celebrating it

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Everyone here should probably at least watch the John hurt adaptation of Alan Clarke's diaries if they want a true taste of the insanity of Britain in the 1980s

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
smh, if you think America half-masts for Syrians.

gently caress HARAMBE posted:

you can dislike thatcher's politics and still think it's fantastic that a woman was elected pm

How do you feel about Germany's first immigrant chancellor?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Mr Hootington posted:

quote:

HONORING THE VICTIMS OF THE ATTACK IN BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the victims of the attack on police officers perpetrated on Sunday, July 17, 2016, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, July 22, 2016. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighteenth day of July, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first. BARACK OBAMA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jagchosis posted:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think if someone shot thatcher in the face I might have qualms about celebrating it

yeah, and yet Americans have practically made a holiday out of shooting a bad guy in the face. kind of interesting

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Everyone here should probably at least watch the John hurt adaptation of Alan Clarke's diaries if they want a true taste of the insanity of Britain in the 1980s

wasn't alan clarke the "curiously not" chap

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Also obits are usually the best part of a newspaper although the comedy hold generation of British obits is pretty done now the wartime generation is toast

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
actually that would have been pretty funny

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

wasn't alan clarke the "curiously not" chap

Yeah when asked if selling guns to tyrants and warlords caused him moral pause in light of his concern for animal rights

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Yeah when asked if selling guns to tyrants and warlords caused him moral pause in light of his concern for animal rights

i mean it is a pretty good answer as far as these things go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/osLsGG6kBEQ

• Locked thread