Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Chicago has some of the most openly racist people I've ever met and I grew up in South Carolina

edit: well, the suburbs at least

Chicago's western and northwest suburbs are basically WhiteFlightInAmerica.txt. Black populations in those areas are generally around 3 - 4 percent at the absolute most, and in some places that's being generous -- in college I very briefly dated a girl from Barrington, which is this ridiculously wealthy northwest suburb, and while we were driving around town one day she said to me, "Hm, that's odd."

"What?"

*points at a car being driven by a black man* "We don't usually see those people around here."

That night when I went home I found out that Barrington's black population was like 0.4 percent. I think I broke up with her the next day when I realized that I was dating an awful human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Night Mind really needs to work on his studio levels

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

yeah i need to compile those into a google doc

edit i did that thing, i need to trim out the bbcode and make it look pretty but it's there. here's a link if anyone wants it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rZEhUEMRw6jFa6Hcaa9mccat2G7ZVyBPOIp5LLCJ9cg/edit?usp=sharing

cool added this my gdrive. thx mr. eye

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

Night Mind really needs to work on his studio levels

he really needs to do a new fuckin video

MacheteZombie posted:

cool added this my gdrive. thx mr. eye

np homie, gonna edit it this weekend probably and pretty it up a bit

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Timby posted:

Chicago's western and northwest suburbs are basically WhiteFlightInAmerica.txt. Black populations in those areas are generally around 3 - 4 percent at the absolute most, and in some places that's being generous -- in college I very briefly dated a girl from Barrington, which is this ridiculously wealthy northwest suburb, and while we were driving around town one day she said to me, "Hm, that's odd."

"What?"

*points at a car being driven by a black man* "We don't usually see those people around here."

That night when I went home I found out that Barrington's black population was like 0.4 percent. I think I broke up with her the next day when I realized that I was dating an awful human being.

Shoulda dated one of them Oak Park girls, my man.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-...ca-6bc7a4430702

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 13, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

yeah i need to compile those into a google doc

edit i did that thing, i need to trim out the bbcode and make it look pretty but it's there. here's a link if anyone wants it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rZEhUEMRw6jFa6Hcaa9mccat2G7ZVyBPOIp5LLCJ9cg/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you Dickeye. Now to turn this into a youtube-dl script...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

if you copy it in jdownloader it'll parse the links automatically

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

if you copy it in jdownloader it'll parse the links automatically

Youre the fuckin man

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Youre the fuckin man

i only know this because in the process of copying the quotes over jdownloader parsed a bunch because i didnt stop them in time

really you should use jdownloader anyway for downloading youtube links because it lets you select video quality and format

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I didn't even think about doing this...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

I didn't even think about doing this...

http://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

haha yeah I went to the jdownloader site, on a work comp though so i can't actually download it and use it right now.

Thanks for the link though, good looking out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

therattle posted:

The chance of somebody reading your script at 120 pages is considerably higher than if it's at 160. If I open a script and it's longer than 120 my heart sinks. So you can have it at 160, but it's a self-indulgence. The pragmatic thing to do would be to cut it down, and keep a longer version for yourself containing the beats that you (and probably really only you) want to retain.

I think my biggest issue is I need a collaborator. Without someone to work with I kinda flop around like a fish, not knowing what to do. Ya know?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Timby posted:

"What?"

The company I work for was based out of Barrington when I was brought on. It's apparently one of the richest zip codes in the U.S., though the town is pretty button-down. I guess a lot of people live in sprawling estates outside the downtown area.

For what it's worth the locals I knew there were typically well-meaning but old-money to the core and sort of clueless. They've since sold the company to some Southside bros that live up to all the worst stereotypes, basically being pieces of poo poo and hiding behind "just busting balls." One of the new owners randomly started drawing Sambo while I was having a work conversation with him. This morning I got called a human being for eating one donut instead of two

If you know someone hiring let me know

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

morestuff posted:

This morning I got called a human being for eating one donut instead of two

Oh, I know plenty of people who are hiring, but I'm not gonna be responsible for sending them some single donut motherfucker.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Finally watched Whiplash. What a fuckin' ride! That final scene, way to end of a crescendo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

I live in Wisconsin, haven't called Illinois my residence since 2003, sorry. :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

One of the new owners randomly started drawing Sambo while I was having a work conversation with him.
:wtc: The donut thing is kind of funny out of context, but this is really hosed up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like a parking lot?

So Harris liked heavy metal and parking lots?

morestuff posted:

One of the new owners randomly started drawing Sambo while I was having a work conversation with him. This morning I got called a human being for eating one donut instead of two

That new Jordan Peele movie is seeming a lot less farfetched now

I Before E fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 13, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
To me, the Sambo thing is funny because I kind of imagine it like in a movie/TV show where someone is absent mindedly drawing something & it helps them come to some grand conclusion except it's a racist dumbass so at the end he just looks and it's like...

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

if that was some part of a psychological inventory that guy might have had a break through

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

To me, the Sambo thing is funny because I kind of imagine it like in a movie/TV show where someone is absent mindedly drawing something & it helps them come to some grand conclusion except it's a racist dumbass so at the end he just looks and it's like...

It's more like Ray Smuckles drawing the sourdough.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

morestuff posted:

You should show up in drag tomorrow and eat all the donuts in front of everyone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I Before E posted:

It's more like Ray Smuckles drawing the sourdough.

Now draw a Nintendo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Budgie Jumping posted:

You should show up in drag tomorrow and eat all the donuts in front of everyone.

Or find a baker who's willing to make donuts that look like buttholes with eclairs/long johns that are, well you get it by now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

morestuff posted:

Was it a French cruller?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

Holy moly I'm an hour into Metropolis (Kino restoration) and how the gently caress did Lang make this film in nineteen goddamn twenty-seven.

It was one of the most expensive films ever made and at least the most expensive German film. Part of why the effects look great has to do with everything using in-camera multiple exposures, projections, and miniatures.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The beauty of M is that it's more visually inventive, clever, and efficient than most movies made today.

The great thing about M and even The Testament of Dr. Mabuse is that Lang's style from his 20s work translates perfectly into sound films. I found that early sound films outside the US tended to be more inventive because they didn't have the strain of just rushing stuff out.

Also, Fritz Lang still had a gigantic reputation as an artist, despite the failure of Metropolis. Spies and Woman in the Moon were both vastly more successful films.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everyone is their avatar, factually.

This is true. (Though, I'm Daffy)

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was gonna say Metropolis, but actually I can't remember if that was his #1 favorite or not. I know him and Goebbels liked it a lot.

Stalin loved MGM musicals. Also, Kim Jong Il was obsessed with Daffy Duck.

(Also, Trump's favorite movie is Citizen Kane, which is a bucket of hilarity right there)

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For all I'm talking about how it's one of my favorite movies, I still haven't seen the fully restored 2 1/2 hour version, just the 2 hour Kino version from the early 2000s and the Moroder version.

I think the Moroder cut is kind of poo poo, honestly.

The Moroder cut is entertaining on its own, but the 2010 restoration is magnificent. The near-complete cut now has all these story arcs that go somewhere now, plus the Gottfried Huppertz score is otherworldly. It makes absolute sense that a film like Metropolis has a Wagnerian score rather than anything futuristic, because that's the whole point of the film. It takes place in the future, but the core of society is back in medieval times.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

According to Wikipedia the last straw was The testament of Dr. Mabuse getting banned by the nazi party, along with him realizing what way the wind was blowing.

He was asked to be head of UFA by Goebbels shortly after Mabuse was banned. Lang left for France shortly after, leaving his wife Thea von Harbou (who was a Nazi supporter).

Also, it gets stranger. Von Harbou was previously romantically involved with both Rudolf Klein-Rogge (who plays Rotwang in Metropolis, as well as Dr. Mabuse in both the 1922 film and Testament), as well as Gottfried Huppertz later. Lang's first wife committed suicide.

I get the sense that Lang was a difficult person to be around.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Egbert Souse posted:

(Also, Trump's favorite movie is Citizen Kane, which is a bucket of hilarity right there)

He's almost surely never seen it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dude looked almost obscenely German

He even had a monocle and his name was Fritz for crying out loud.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Now draw a Nintendo.

Well first I (USER WAS PROBATED FOR THIS POST)

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is the first thought I had as well.

"Listen, I just love Fredo in Citizen Kane, a real American success story"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

From what I can figure he has seen it and even gets it to a degree but he is incapable of applying what he understands to his own life

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I fully believe Trump's favorite movie is Citizen Kane and he's actually seen it.

He just completely loving missed the point.

Which is funny since Orson Welles was pretty much was alt-left before it was cool. All his movies are about the corruption of power and authority on people.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Self-knowledge really means zip

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dude looked almost obscenely German

He even had a monocle and his name was Fritz for crying out loud.

Due respect for pulling off a bowtie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

It was one of the most expensive films ever made and at least the most expensive German film. Part of why the effects look great has to do with everything using in-camera multiple exposures, projections, and miniatures.

The great thing about M and even The Testament of Dr. Mabuse is that Lang's style from his 20s work translates perfectly into sound films. I found that early sound films outside the US tended to be more inventive because they didn't have the strain of just rushing stuff out.

Also, Fritz Lang still had a gigantic reputation as an artist, despite the failure of Metropolis. Spies and Woman in the Moon were both vastly more successful films.

This is true. (Though, I'm Daffy)

Stalin loved MGM musicals. Also, Kim Jong Il was obsessed with Daffy Duck.

The Moroder cut is entertaining on its own, but the 2010 restoration is magnificent. The near-complete cut now has all these story arcs that go somewhere now, plus the Gottfried Huppertz score is otherworldly. It makes absolute sense that a film like Metropolis has a Wagnerian score rather than anything futuristic, because that's the whole point of the film. It takes place in the future, but the core of society is back in medieval times.

He was asked to be head of UFA by Goebbels shortly after Mabuse was banned. Lang left for France shortly after, leaving his wife Thea von Harbou (who was a Nazi supporter).

Also, it gets stranger. Von Harbou was previously romantically involved with both Rudolf Klein-Rogge (who plays Rotwang in Metropolis, as well as Dr. Mabuse in both the 1922 film and Testament), as well as Gottfried Huppertz later. Lang's first wife committed suicide.

I get the sense that Lang was a difficult person to be around.

His nice guy routine in Contempt is extremely unbelieveable. When he politely criticizes the lead's treatment of the film you can just tell how hard he's acting, the real fritz would just lay into the guy.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I hope the pictures are three-dimensional, so blind people will be able to share in this information. That way, we won't need eyes to see!

I forgot about this and it's only vaguely coming back.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hat Thoughts posted:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The last little swipe he does at the end is such a perfect detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hey everyoneeeeeeee.

Still chugging along in pre, I know I sent the draft of our script to people and got no responses. So if it is terrible please let me know or if you want to read it, e-mail me at daumounkhakpour@gmail.com

Also, who likes sour beers?

• Locked thread