Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guys!

I passed my DA-50 type ride today. I was being monitored by the FAA in the back of the sim, so I was antsy as all hell. He told me I did a great job!

Hey OP, can a dude get DA-50 added to the list?!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nothing beats that new type feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Wait the DA-50 requires a type?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This kind does :coal:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Ah that makes more sense

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Guys!

I passed my DA-50 type ride today. I was being monitored by the FAA in the back of the sim, so I was antsy as all hell. He told me I did a great job!

Hey OP, can a dude get DA-50 added to the list?!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nothing beats that new type feeling.

Congrats! Freaking French airplanes. lol

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Poise posted:

Whoah I haven't been on SA much in the past few years but if u guys wanna update my info in the intro I've since gotten my ATP as well as graduated from the Navy's Test Pilot School. I can't believe this thread is still here.

e: oh yeah and Boeing 737 and Gulfstream 100 type ratings

Updated

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AWSEFT posted:

Congrats! Freaking French airplanes. lol

The memory items and checklists are insane.

Max brake energy is 10,841,169 kJ.
Vmca is 82.5 knots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Vmca is 82.5 knots.

Is max brake energy ever required anywhere in the procedures?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Is max brake energy ever required anywhere in the procedures?

It never comes up and there’s absolutely no way to monitor or measure it, no.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Is memorizing the brake energy a Dassault requirement, or something from the operator?

Every takeoff and landing performance chart I'm familiar with uses a combination of temperature, weight, and altitude to automatically stay within the brake energy limits, so I'm really struggling to figure out what possible use there is for memorizing that number.

It kind of reminds me of one of the questions on the old ATP written exam, which was basically a word problem that assumes pilots are going to pull a calculator out and do a bunch of math in the middle of an aborted landing after touching down.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah so there’s a basic performance chart to calculate a speed that you can’t exceed while using the brakes but Dassault apparently wants you to know what that specific energy is, because whatever.

My examiner made a joke that you can gauge it by grabbing it and your hand melting vs bursting into flames.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Vmca is 82.5 knots.

My buddy at the taxi cab yellow Airbus operator makes them memorize all sorts of t/o and landing weights by serial number.
You have to think like an Airbus to get it to do what you want.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

AWSEFT posted:

you have to think like an Airbus to get it to do what you want.

F/CTL ALTN LAW (PROT LOST)

-ADD COFFEE

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
ALTN LAW. Also know as "almost flys like a normal plane now."

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

ALTN LAW. Also know as "almost flys like a normal plane now."

Just fly a 737. A man's airplane!

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2019

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

Til the gear come down, it goes into Direct Law, and it REALLY becomes a normal airplane and you have to remember how to trim again.

Trim? :confused:

What is this "trim" you speak of?

Have been flying the 7X for eight years.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

ausgezeichnet posted:

What is this "trim" you speak of?

Have been flying the 7X for eight years.
I like the 7X back up trim looks like its in a deeply recessed panel. Like, "no, really, don't touch".

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 20, 2019

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

I dunno. I've only read of its existence in the manual. I'm sure its somewhere up there. Maybe on the floor?

Edit: I like the 7X back up trim looks like its in a deeply recessed panel. Like, "no, really, don't touch".

The actual manual trim switches (which only get used when the aircraft is in direct laws) are on the pedestal right where they get accidentally activated by poo poo placed on top of them after dumb shits are told not to put poo poo there because they’ll activate the manual trim and gently caress up auto trimming of the elevator. Yeah, this happens pretty frequently because the frog engineers designed the manual trim paddles to protrude about 1/8th of an inch (5mm to frog engineers) above the surrounding panel.

After the electrically-related trim runaway that grounded the whole fleet back in 2010, the FE’s added a Trim Emergency switch to the Emergency Box in the pedestal. This box houses the “no poo poo, don’t touch these unless directed by the checklist” switches and the mechanic gotcha switch (RAT Auto Inhibit) which when left activated will utterly and completely gently caress up initialization of the aircraft - requiring a complete reboot if missed on the preflight by hapless pilots. The Trim Emergency switch allows you to force the release of auto trimming and activate manual trim while still in Normal Law. It’s a BandAid approach to the runaway trim issue, but you can bet your rear end I can find the switch and get it activated in about .3 seconds without looking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The new bravo airspace going into effect around SFO on August 16th is...uh...something.

Now:

New:

(there have been a few changes to the actual layout since that graphic was drawn, apparently...notably the floor has been raised a bit on the peninsula southeast of the airport to make it easier for traffic from KSQL and KPAO. But that's pretty close to what's going into effect next month).

Initially I was like :pwn: but the more I look at it the more it looks like a general improvement for VFR traffic. The usual training areas are opened up a bit and the SFO airways are a little tighter. I like that they've aligned some of the borders with roadways and other landmarks where possible. It seems like it might be more complicated than the old concentric-circles layout for planes without GPS to fly in, but I suppose that just means you have to plan your flight that much more precisely. Maybe someone who flies commercially can give their opinions on what it'll mean for the airliner traffic because I have no idea. Not sure what it'll mean for the class C around SJC and OAK, either.

It sure looks like a mess though

e: it's also a little easier to do the sneaky under-the-radar bay tour now, too

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 4, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I fly 121, what’s airspace?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

e.pilot posted:

I fly 121, what’s airspace?

This. The only time I really care about airspace is if we're departing in class C or D airspace because the 200 knot limit is a little too slow if we're heavy and clean.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Don't forget the 200 below B

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I fly into SJC pretty often from the north, and it looks like the changes might help a bit with keeping us inside the Bravo (so we don't have to slow to 200) when approach sends us west of the bay before cutting us back east towards SJC.

As far as departing SJC, it probably won't change too much, since they'll still need to use the LOUPE 4 (which takes traffic off the 30's and immediately swings it southeast to climb) until departures are high enough to avoid conflicts with SFO and OAK.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
How superficial am I for wanting to train in the Archer instead of the 172 because the Archer has a proper throttle lever? (And not because it’s :10bux: cheaper)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Meh, whichever floats your boat.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

dupersaurus posted:

How superficial am I for wanting to train in the Archer instead of the 172 because the Archer has a proper throttle lever? (And not because it’s :10bux: cheaper)

I have a new lady pilot friend training in both and honestly can't pick a favorite. Your mileage may vary.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

dupersaurus posted:

I own a Cherokee with a "proper" throttle quadrant. It sucks compared to a typical throttle and mixture knob.

Leaning the mixture consists of making a very large movement and then doing your actual leaning in the 1/4" of travel that actually has an effect before hitting idle cutoff. On a normal mixture you would be rotating the knob and making use of the vernier fine tuning, this is not possible on a lever.

Most of the time I hold the throttle by the base of the lever with my hand on the base to avoid inadvertent movement due to turbulence.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

helno posted:

Most of the time I hold the throttle by the base of the lever with my hand on the base to avoid inadvertent movement due to turbulence.

Are we the same person?

Also 172s suck. Cherokees are such sweet little airplanes.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I mean, I guess the real deciding factor is that the 172 is glass and the Archer is analog, which is probably better for learning in. Students probably can’t pick out any real differences between the planes (other than those levers feel cool)

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 5, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It may be because it's how I learned, but I'm of the opinion that learning on a "six pack" airplane is preferable (at least initially) to a glass cockpit, since glass can be a bit of "information overload" at first, and my experience as a flight instructor was that it's generally easier to make the transition from analog instruments (where your scan has to move around a fair bit of the panel) to glass (where the scan is much simpler) than the other way around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I say you should learn in what you want to learn in. You're paying for it, after all.

I chose to train in an old 152 instead of the flight school's glass-cockpit 172s that they like to show off because I heard that the 152 (being lighter and a little more susceptible to crosswinds) is better for learning stick and rudder skills, and because I also thought I'd rather learn on the analog instruments. It's cheaper, too, and as a side bonus they're rarely all booked because everyone else is on the 172s. I don't regret it one bit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

Fly whatever’s cheaper.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
First week of instructing went pretty well, but so far I'm noticing a trend: flying with students or doing intro flights is good. Flying with older guys who haven't flown in years and aren't particularly committed to actually getting back to PPL standard is frightening, because they regard things like "having equipment," "using checklists*" and "staying moderately on the centreline while taxiing and taking off" to be unnecessary frivolities. I, uh, have some new theories about the Killing Zone.

* To be fair, they usually recognize the checklist as an object of some importance, but do not seem overly committed to actually completing everything in order and communicating what they're doing as they're doing it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Boeing just bought an 80% stake in Embraer.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PT6A posted:

I, uh, have some new theories about the Killing Zone.

"It's worked ok for me this long, why change now?" is a very dangerous mentality, absolutely. Especially when, as you say, they're coming back from a hiatus and probably are forgetting/skipping things that they wouldn't have previously.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Boeing just bought an 80% stake in Embraer.

Holy poo poo. More things Boeing didn't design to put in Boeing commercials!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

First week of instructing went pretty well, but so far I'm noticing a trend: flying with students or doing intro flights is good. Flying with older guys who haven't flown in years and aren't particularly committed to actually getting back to PPL standard is frightening, because they regard things like "having equipment," "using checklists*" and "staying moderately on the centreline while taxiing and taking off" to be unnecessary frivolities. I, uh, have some new theories about the Killing Zone.

* To be fair, they usually recognize the checklist as an object of some importance, but do not seem overly committed to actually completing everything in order and communicating what they're doing as they're doing it.

Rusty pilots are literally the worst because they “already know” what they’re doing.

Most likely they learned to fly at some podunk grass strip in the 60s/70s, never flew anywhere other than to different podunk grass strips, and have now decided to knock the rust off at a busy towered airport.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Rusty pilots are literally the worst because they “already know” what they’re doing.

Most likely they learned to fly at some podunk grass strip in the 60s/70s, never flew anywhere other than to different podunk grass strips, and have now decided to knock the rust off at a busy towered airport.

I assume if they'd learned to fly on grass strips they'd be less poo poo at making an acceptable landing, actually :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I assume if they'd learned to fly on grass strips they'd be less poo poo at making an acceptable landing, actually :v:

I wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My instructor said that he once did a rental checkout for a guy who had learned to fly somewhere in the Florida panhandle decades ago. He said he's never been more terrified to be in a plane than flying with that guy. Not only did he apparently have terrible flying skills, couldn't hold a stabilized approach if his life depended on it, etc., but he completely froze up the first time he had to call for an airspace transition, which threw him off badly enough that he was unable to handle any of the calls for the rest of the flight. Apparently the airspace down in the Florida swamps is a leeetle less complicated than that over the Bay Area.

(he did not sign the guy off)