Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
So... they messed up special spawn rates again, huh?

I popped 13 special infected in 30 seconds myself with a Barrett last night during Pain Train. My team killed some during that span too.

That's obviously broken. 1 special kill every 2-3 seconds and they never stopped coming. Jesus Christ, it's TAC/Barrett/Phoenix or die right now. It's bad on Vet, Nightmare must be completely bonkers.

EDIT: I had +110% reload speed on the Barrett and was firing/reloading as fast as I could, only barely kept it under control. I don't see how a non-reload speed build without a heavy hitter like the aforementioned TAC/Barrett/Phoenix could fire/reload/put out damage fast enough to survive. Completely batshit.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I guess you lose the guns you had when you joined quickplay and get whites instead

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Xaiter posted:

So... they messed up special spawn rates again, huh?

I popped 13 special infected in 30 seconds myself with a Barrett last night during Pain Train. My team killed some during that span too.

That's obviously broken. 1 special kill every 2-3 seconds and they never stopped coming. Jesus Christ, it's TAC/Barrett/Phoenix or die right now. It's bad on Vet, Nightmare must be completely bonkers.

EDIT: I had +110% reload speed on the Barrett and was firing/reloading as fast as I could, only barely kept it under control. I don't see how a non-reload speed build without a heavy hitter like the aforementioned TAC/Barrett/Phoenix could fire/reload/put out damage fast enough to survive. Completely batshit.

Spawn rates are messed up as per the latest patch notes, we had the same issue on "Cabins by the Lake" last night. I also saw, buried in the patch notes, that "Wandering Specials now have a 12 to 18 second exit cooldown." I wonder if this, combined with the broken spawn rates, allows wandering specials to stick around long enough that they're clustering up with other specials that spawn in. It doesn't explain everything, but lol that their intended change is compounding with an unintended change to gently caress players harder.

Speaking of Cabins by the Lake, does anyone know what using a tool kit on the ferry does? We've been debating among our group but we haven't really seen a difference. I'm pretty sure the devs don't know, either.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

JagerNinja posted:

Spawn rates are messed up as per the latest patch notes, we had the same issue on "Cabins by the Lake" last night. I also saw, buried in the patch notes, that "Wandering Specials now have a 12 to 18 second exit cooldown." I wonder if this, combined with the broken spawn rates, allows wandering specials to stick around long enough that they're clustering up with other specials that spawn in. It doesn't explain everything, but lol that their intended change is compounding with an unintended change to gently caress players harder.

Speaking of Cabins by the Lake, does anyone know what using a tool kit on the ferry does? We've been debating among our group but we haven't really seen a difference. I'm pretty sure the devs don't know, either.

I think it makes the ferry go faster by like 50% but I've never timed it. Most people don't bother and launch the ferry without boarding it because often the boss will appear when you get to the far dock where you're already overrun and exposed.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

JagerNinja posted:

I'll give it a try and report back.

Regarding increased spawns, I ran the mineshaft level on Veteran, and the mine tunnels were loaded with common infected. There had to be 200 of them in the last tunnel, just standing around waiting for me.

Another thing I don't care for is the infected being unable to break alarmed doors any more. Or at least they can't break them when it's advantageous to the player. I really wish there was a counter other than carrying a bunch of tool kits.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

The Hambulance posted:

Another thing I don't care for is the infected being unable to break alarmed doors any more. Or at least they can't break them when it's advantageous to the player. I really wish there was a counter other than carrying a bunch of tool kits.

Apparently the devs intended to also include a new card to open alarm doors silently, but that card didn't make it in the update :downs:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Hambulance posted:

4 players running Amped Up and On Your Marks

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dunno if it happens on all the sound modes, but I've been using Punch and shooting in tight hallways is much louder than wide open areas and sounds very excellent. I remember googling a few weeks ago and finding pretty much 0 information about the different modes: Default, Dynamic, Night, Punch. Anyone know?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

4 players running Amped Up and On Your Marks

This poo poo owns, do this

Even one person running both of them owns. This game gets almost trivially easy if you have people working together and coordinating perks.

My personal always run list:

shredder for a 15% more damage debuff on enemies you’re shooting

Two is one and one is none (two primaries own, have a crowd control gun and a stagger gun)

Confident killer (1% more damage per mutation killed, caps at 15% (for the team)

Amped Up for 25 temp health with every horde

On Your Marks for a bunch of dope poo poo on each horde

Ammo Pack? (Idk, the one that gives you 50% more max ammo and some other good poo poo)

Those are all no brainers for me.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I think it makes the ferry go faster by like 50% but I've never timed it. Most people don't bother and launch the ferry without boarding it because often the boss will appear when you get to the far dock where you're already overrun and exposed.

Yeah, never ride the boat. It's just asking to be surrounded by commons and specials and god help if the boss spawns while you're mobbed.

Sending the boat gives you easy pickings and then you can safely hop across. It's the most nonsensical level feature in the game and it only serves as another trap for players who don't know better yet. I mean, why would the devs give you this boat if riding it was a bad idea?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

JagerNinja posted:

I tried this last night. The ferry is faster, much less infected & specials spawn, and the ferry makes it to the dock before breaking in half and dumping you in the water.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
So if you're trying to minimize ridden and specials do you just activate with the toolkit, wait for it to go across, kill/clean up enemies and then wade through the water?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Rick_Hunter posted:

So if you're trying to minimize ridden and specials do you just activate with the toolkit, wait for it to go across, kill/clean up enemies and then wade through the water?

I'd only use the toolkit on it if I was actually trying to ride it across.

I've only recently started triggering the ferry and *not* riding it, but it seems to result in a lot less issues overall when we do it that way. Crossing still isn't super bad if you make use of the docked boats along the way.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Bunny hop through the water, it's way faster. You do move slower than normal, but it's a hell of a lot faster than just tanking the move speed penalty for water.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

Xaiter posted:

Bunny hop through the water, it's way faster. You do move slower than normal, but it's a hell of a lot faster than just tanking the move speed penalty for water.

I have to agree with this. Let the ferry go and kill whatever spawns. Saves a toolkit too!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Finished vet before the most recent patch, starting to work through nightmare with one dedicated buddy and quick match pubs. Game feels much better than it did at launch, and the two new horde cards are almost essential imo

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Finished vet before the most recent patch, starting to work through nightmare with one dedicated buddy and quick match pubs. Game feels much better than it did at launch, and the two new horde cards are almost essential imo

Godspeed on Nightmare. Some advice...

It was rough before, but now it's almost back to the speedrun meta of November. You don't need to speedrun exactly, but if you're spending longer than 10-15 seconds "shopping" anywhere, I hope you burned a continue card. Whatever the hell you looted wasn't worth it.

Just keep pressing forward as soon as hordes end, don't go backwards to chase specials, don't fall back to a previous chokepoint unless you have literally no other choice.

When a horde comes, try to stake out in the next holdout position FORWARDS if you can reach it alive, only going back if that isn't an option. Every single time you fallback, everything in front of you respawns, so...

An example: A lot of pub NM lobbies I've been in enter deadman walking states. Like, Horde timer is 2 minutes. It expires, they fallback. Horde ends, they take 20-30 seconds after the horde officially ends to push out. Everything in front of us respawned. We spend a minute plus safely pushing forward. Horde timer expires. Fall back. Rinse and repeat until supplies are exhausted and we die.

B4B is a game of attrition and on NM, the grindstone is a belt sander peeling off your hopes and dreams of surviving. Especially with the hosed up spawn rates again. If they can't fix them by the end of March, the game will have had broken spawns for more than half of its first six months of life.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Xaiter posted:

B4B is a game of attrition and on NM, the grindstone is a belt sander peeling off your hopes and dreams of surviving.

My nightmare group has found that coordinating specific card picks in your decks can really help in nightmare, especially in fighting attrition. We've generally settled on something pretty simple:

- Two people get Amped Up (+25 temp health any time a horde is triggered)
- Two people with On Your Marks (+15% ammo, increased reload speed and movement when a horde is triggered)
- All four players with Share the Wealth (+100 copper per safe room, stacks)

Putting two additional cards in each deck is pretty easy to do without majorly disrupting your ordinary build. Amped Up and On Your Marks will really give your team a lot of breathing room in dealing with the increased amount of hordes that you'll deal with, either via timers or from the hordes that sleepers draw on Nightmare. Our team hasn't had to resort to speedrunning on Nightmare whatsoever, although we do tend to get bogged down more often than we really should.

Getting on top of the team's copper economy early on really helps as well. Use burn cards like Windfall and Hired Gun to make sure you're getting at least one - ideally two - upgrades per safe room. The upgrades really start to snowball in power once you hit the midway point of the act when you're carrying around 4-5 blue or purple support items and offensive accessories.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I really hope they do something about

1. ridden and mutations being able to instantly scale objects and hit without delay

2. bash not doing anything to climbing ridden

3. tall boys overhead swinging through the top and bottoms of windows

4. Hawkers shooting you without even looking at you

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Cidrick posted:

Good stuff

Agreed on pretty much everything.

You definitely don't have to speedrun, but yeah, KEEP MOVING. Special respawns are bonkers right now, if you're sitting still for even 10-15 seconds, you will have to fight another wave of specials. God help you if a Reeker managed to get someone and now you have a full blown horde. There's no loot worth that risk. Just use the medcab, grab your attachments, ammo, supplies and keep going.

One small thing I'd suggest if you got a coordinated team. Don't use STW. Ideal copper generation is 1 Copper Scav + 1-4 Money Grubbers. Folks have done the math and MG is crazy profitable. You still want one Copper Scav to FIND the piles and spawn more piles to stack up MG's bonus.

You probably don't need more than 1 or 2 MGs + Copper Scav, so your team can get away with 2-3 cards on Copper economy rather than 4. Seriously, MG makes an insane amount of money even after the nerf. It makes every other copper economy card look like garbage.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Xaiter posted:

One small thing I'd suggest if you got a coordinated team. Don't use STW. Ideal copper generation is 1 Copper Scav + 1-4 Money Grubbers. Folks have done the math and MG is crazy profitable. You still want one Copper Scav to FIND the piles and spawn more piles to stack up MG's bonus.

You probably don't need more than 1 or 2 MGs + Copper Scav, so your team can get away with 2-3 cards on Copper economy rather than 4. Seriously, MG makes an insane amount of money even after the nerf. It makes every other copper economy card look like garbage.

Yup, this. I think the only scenario where you may want to do STW over money grubbers would be if everyone on your team is legit speed running and never stopping to loot.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Varkas posted:

Yup, this. I think the only scenario where you may want to do STW over money grubbers would be if everyone on your team is legit speed running and never stopping to loot.

In the not-as-rare-as-you-might-expect cases where I've been in rando lobbies running 1-2 Copper Scav and 3-4 MGs, it's raining cash money and everyone is sharing because they all have way too much to use.

Banking like 5k cash after upgrades is pointless, but it is fun being able to smash your face into medcabs with like zero repurcussions.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Xaiter posted:

I actually agree with you here, but for some reason I can't convince the rest of my team that MG + Copper Scav is better. We definitely take the time to loot cars and other out-of-the-way places for copper, so it's not like we're playing fast enough that STW is going to work out better in the long run.

Xaiter posted:

Banking like 5k cash after upgrades is pointless, but it is fun being able to smash your face into medcabs with like zero repurcussions.

Yeah, between this and having a glut of Urgent Care burn cards at your disposal, it really trivializes dealing with trauma damage - which also reduces the value of cards like field surgeon, making more room in your medic's deck for more useful cards.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

quote:

Tunnels of Terror Expansion Coming April 12
Tunnels of Terror will be coming to Fort Hope on April 12th, 2022. Here's a little sneak peek on what to look forward to!

quote:

When Tunnels of Terror arrives on April 12, you can jump into an all-new co-op activity known as Ridden Hives, where you can explore seven different dungeons full of labyrinthine tunnels below the depths of Evansburgh that are infested with a new Ridden type, Warped Ridden. To claim exclusive loot and rewards only offered in Ridden Hives, players must outmaneuver and overcome the daunting new Warped Ridden, including the landmine-setting Urchins, monstrous Shredders, and damage-dealing Rippers. The new Warped Ridden variants are also playable in PvP Swarm mode.

The upcoming expansion introduces two new playable Cleaners – Sharice, an axe wielding firefighter, and Heng, a tough as nails, no-nonsense restaurateur.

Also included in Tunnels of Terror are eight exclusive character skins, seven new legendary weapons, 12 new weapon skins, new cards, and more. The expansion will coincide with the release of the No Hope difficulty setting, a free update adding an extra level of challenge for elite players.

Please note, all playable content included in the Tunnels of Terror expansion will be accessible by all players in a party as long as one player in that party has purchased the expansion.

Additionally, there will be no microtransactions of any kind, cosmetic or otherwise, added to the game as part of this expansion or any future content update.

neat

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
sure yeah I'll play it

Hoping for some semi-randomized level forks to spice up the maps. Bonus points if they're tied to corruption effects justifying the changing pathing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That actually sounds pretty fun.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
It gets worse than Nightmare? The group I play with can't get past 1-2 (we suck).

Well, I look forward to fifteen special infected spawning in the safe room as I shop!

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
1-2 is typically easy on NM if you have the strats down.

Every time I've done it on NM we fight the boss. Usually the people I'm playing with will send one down to bait the ogre. Right under the ledge that you drop from, you can hide out down there and the ogre can't hit you. It also puts bait in a very far position from special spawns but you still have to watch out for common. After that, it's just making sure you get through to the second boss spawn. I like setting up in the red light narrow hall after the stash door. Long LOS for whoever is defending the back and the front gets a decent LOS as well. A lot of NM is positioning.

If you have room and can spare the money get some barbed wire! It's great for hallway defenses and think about how you place barbed wire as well. A grey/white barbed wire will spread out wide so place it perpendicular with door and into the entry and not parallel in front of or behind the entry. The longer they have to walk through it, the more time that buys you.

Pain Train is usually the one that breaks a lot of teams.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pain train can be really insane on the higher difficulties.

I find bad blood sometimes gets rough if you get one of the boss spawns.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The new expansion is kind of fun. The loot drops in the tunnels are insanely good and the new characters are blissfully not annoying.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Got this in a bundle and I actually find the hives kinda annoying- but mostly because I can't stop getting the avarice corruption card which makes copper slow you down and also replaces the contents of all supply crates with copper. Also they're kinda visually boring for the most part. I haven't been able to actually get a group to do act 4 so I haven't done anything past recruit but I can imagine a Hive being a run-maker if it decides to be generous with the loot. Walking out of a hive with thousands of copper and kitted out epics/legendaries like 2-3 missions in probably makes life considerably easier.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Oh yeah gently caress that heavy copper curse. I only got it once so far, but it made the tunnels a slog

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah one hive can make a really big difference to your run, especially if you successfully raid the curse chests since they can drop purples seemingly no matter where you are in the act. I really don't like the way they look, but I've always hated overgrown organic type environments in games because they're just so samey and hard to navigate.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The inner lairs are legit easier than the normal lairs.

Oh no, not a bunch of easy fights I can choose to spawn at any time my group wants next to a gigantic pile of loot.

If you have a few flashbangs you just pop each bubble and flashbang it if it's a group of tallboys or wretchers or whatever. Breakers, ogres, hags, etc aren't a big deal in a big open room if someone stays on add duty.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
The hive spawning in levels is also extremely random. I was farming totems and had one campaign where I had a hive with inner hive on 1-1 and 1-2, followed by a hive with no inner hive on 1-3. Having most of your cards and legendary weapons by 1-4 is nuts

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug
I'm having fun with the expansion. The legendary weapons have all been game changers against the special infected, making subsequent levels a whole lot easier.

Only thing I don't like is carrying around the stupid skull totems. I have forgotten them far too many times, and end up with little to show for my trip through the tunnels. It's 100% my fault, but I still don't like it.

My group tried a tunnel on Nightmare last night. It didn't go well, but it was definitely intense!

EDIT: While Sharice brings a lot to the table with her team bonus and spawning armor plates, Heng seems like a waste of time so far. Just an older Evangelo.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Tunnels on nightmare are rough in the first 2 maps of a campaign but after that, if working together, it is a solid way to get loot to cruise through the rest of the campaign.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

The Hambulance posted:

EDIT: While Sharice brings a lot to the table with her team bonus and spawning armor plates, Heng seems like a waste of time so far. Just an older Evangelo.

Swingpoynt recently published a video that suggests Heng is really good on No Hope, where you can start with all 15 cards in your deck drawn and just become a tanky beast of temp health

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQMinR1x27s

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

Cidrick posted:

Swingpoynt recently published a video that suggests Heng is really good on No Hope, where you can start with all 15 cards in your deck drawn and just become a tanky beast of temp health

I saw that video. Swingpoynt can do some amazing things, but I'm nowhere near his skill level. Heng just doesn't fit well with how I play. Same with Evangelo and now Mom to a lesser extent. :shrug:

It also sucks that statty.net isn't going to update anymore. They were a useful tool for those wondering about weapon damage in B4B. I would have liked to see the stats on the new legendary weapons. How can I min/max without this data? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm having trouble finding a list of all the legendary items. I found this blurb on a website:

The Tenderizer – a giant melee hammer that dismembers enemies and deals explosive damage in a large area when it hits.
Damnation – a shotgun with incendiary rounds that light up Ridden
Prototype 378 – a submachine gun with electrical rounds that slow enemies.

I found a deagle that has poo poo range but gives you up to 10 copper per kill, that was pretty rad. Also a stock attachment that was just "+70% accuracy when crouching".