Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

Are there any really good kitchen-oriented Black Friday deals that tend to repeat yearly?

Also I think I'm ready to graduate from using steak knives for food prep. Is this the oft-recommended-in-this-thread cheap-but-nice chef's knife? It looks about right but I thought it was closer to $25 than $30.

Listen to Gravity. I did and that knife is the tits. Totally changed my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Elderbean posted:

What can an inexperienced cook make that will last for a while? You know, something I can make once and keep over the course of a day or two.

Check out the chili thread, this thread (not specifically tailored to your situation, but there is a lot of overlap) and if there's one around, a slow cooker thread. This recipe is pretty delicious and a good starting point.

Chili, stews, and soups are going to be your best friend. It's shockingly easy to turn a whole chicken into a week's worth of meals, for instance.

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch

Elderbean posted:

What can an inexperienced cook make that will last for a while? You know, something I can make once and keep over the course of a day or two.

As others have said, a stew or similar is a good choice.

I am a really inexperienced cook trying to learn and made this earlier in the week which lasted me and the oldest a few days...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1236/carbonnade-flamande

I'm sure that's not the best recipe out there but it tasted pretty drat good served in a bowl with some bread.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
What's your favorite thing to put on pizza? Just want some ideas before we go shopping.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Elderbean posted:

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/jamie-oliver/beef-and-ale-stew-recipe

Ignore the dumplings, use beef shin if you can get it and cook for 3-4 hours if you can. Chuck roast is popular with US posters but I'm not sure where it comes from. Anything labelled as stew/casserole beef that has a lot of fat and connective tissue is what you want

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My wife made a delicious pho like dish last night and I'm left with a bunch of leftover Asian flavored beef broth. Any ideas for leftovers? It's a beef shank broth flavored with garlic and ginger and star anise.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

My wife made a delicious pho like dish last night and I'm left with a bunch of leftover Asian flavored beef broth. Any ideas for leftovers? It's a beef shank broth flavored with garlic and ginger and star anise.

Risotto with braised tendon and marrow.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Risotto with braised tendon and marrow.

We ate all the shank last night, but risotto sounds good. As an aside, we went to a steakhouse recently that offered marrow as a side. It was served in the bone saw-cut lengthwise and broiled with toasted bread. It was amazing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ron Jeremy posted:

We ate all the shank last night, but risotto sounds good. As an aside, we went to a steakhouse recently that offered marrow as a side. It was served in the bone saw-cut lengthwise and broiled with toasted bread. It was amazing.

Marrow is stupidly easy to make at home. You just need to take a marrow bone (which you can buy at the butcher's for nothing, since it's usually considered dog meat) and roast it upright at 450 for 15 minutes or so, until the marrow is scoopable. Spread on toast, maybe sprinkle a little salt on - perfection. As an added bonus, you can then turn those bones into stock!

You can cut them lengthwise if you want, but personally I find it unnecessary. Popsicle sticks, butter knives, handle end of spoons - whatever flattish thing you have will work to get it out of there.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

Chuck roast is popular with US posters but I'm not sure where it comes from.
Chuck comes from the front of the cow

Vavy
Feb 23, 2007
Hello, I make a 'mashed potato substitute'. It's just blanched cauliflower hand blended with a little butter, milk and cheese. Is this suitable to freeze?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

kinmik posted:

What's your favorite thing to put on pizza? Just want some ideas before we go shopping.

Real buffalo mozzarella, homemade garlicy tomato sauce, fresh basil.

Feta and kalamata olives, with a mozzarella background and no tomato sauce--just a brush of olive oil.

Buffalo mozzarella, tomato sauce, roasted red peppers, mushrooms.

Anything you want really, but I follow the simpler-is-better rule and keep it to maybe two things in addition to cheese and sauce. Junk (supreme, everything but the kitchen sink) pizzas aren't for me.

Also, just another idea for spice jar chat, I have an armada of number three baby food jars. (For the non-parents, the "number three" foods are the ones that come in the large 6 oz jars.) Hit up a parent you know, or just buy a bunch for the jars. They're about a buck each, and you can get applesauce and eat it or cook with it.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

kinmik posted:

I have always loved my family's seafood pizza. It's a bit unusual but I love it. Bacically, its a pizza with an olive garlic oil base instead of the sauce, and then you put on the cheese, and add scallops, bay shrimp, crab and sometimes langostinos or smoked salmon. I also tend to add spinach, a bit of shredded coconut and some pineapple or almonds when I am in the mood for them. I then just cook the pizza as usual. Easy but so good.

It's different, but I really like it. I have converted several people to liking it after they all went "EWWWW that sounds awful!!" Afterwards though, most went "Wow...that's actually really good!"

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Those all sound really nice. The seafood and coconut idea especially; it makes sense. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, modernist mac and cheese, need some help here.

I have sodium citrate coming in the mail and the wife wants mac and cheese for Thanksgiving.

Right now I plan on doing Sous Vide duck breasts, mac and cheese, something else (roasted brussels sprouts maybe?) and a cheesecake for dessert.

The mac and cheese is where I'm faulting now. Never made it before, just ordered the sodium citrate. My wife is usually fine with the plain old kraft mac and cheese, so I'm not quite sure what cheese I should do, but I'm guessing I'll top it with some crispy crumbled bacon. Advice? Recipe? Tips?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Alright, modernist mac and cheese, need some help here.

I have sodium citrate coming in the mail and the wife wants mac and cheese for Thanksgiving.

Right now I plan on doing Sous Vide duck breasts, mac and cheese, something else (roasted brussels sprouts maybe?) and a cheesecake for dessert.

The mac and cheese is where I'm faulting now. Never made it before, just ordered the sodium citrate. My wife is usually fine with the plain old kraft mac and cheese, so I'm not quite sure what cheese I should do, but I'm guessing I'll top it with some crispy crumbled bacon. Advice? Recipe? Tips?

its super easy. Sharp white cheddar is the standard recipe but you can use whatever cheese you want.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

I did a crumble of pork rinds, crispy bacon, parm-reg, and parsley and it was incredible.

It's super not hard at all though so don't sweat it so much :)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GrAviTy84 posted:

its super easy. Sharp white cheddar is the standard recipe but you can use whatever cheese you want.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

I did a crumble of pork rinds, crispy bacon, parm-reg, and parsley and it was incredible.

It's super not hard at all though so don't sweat it so much :)

Thanks, I saw that link while googling but wanted to make sure everyone agreed with that. I'm guessing it will be important to buy the block of cheddar instead of the pre-shredded stuff, correct?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Thanks, I saw that link while googling but wanted to make sure everyone agreed with that. I'm guessing it will be important to buy the block of cheddar instead of the pre-shredded stuff, correct?

yeah, I'd grate my own. The preshredded stuff oft has anticaking stuff in it, which can be grainy on an otherwise smooth sauce.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Preshredded usually has some anticlumping agent added to it like flour or such so yeah use a block instead of shredded.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, I'd grate my own. The preshredded stuff oft has anticaking stuff in it, which can be grainy on an otherwise smooth sauce.

You guys have inspired me to make this for our friendsgiving dinner in a week. Thanks!

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
Okay, I don't cook but I need to buy a gift. I need a skillet larger than and better than the 8-10 inch nonstick Calphalon one we have now that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Just something for bacon and eggs, and fried rice sometimes, but not a full-on wok.

I come to you experts with high hopes. And I also hope whatever you choose for me is also on amazon. Thanks, fellow specialty goons.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Drav posted:

Okay, I don't cook but I need to buy a gift. I need a skillet larger than and better than the 8-10 inch nonstick Calphalon one we have now that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Just something for bacon and eggs, and fried rice sometimes, but not a full-on wok.

I come to you experts with high hopes. And I also hope whatever you choose for me is also on amazon. Thanks, fellow specialty goons.

Tramontina makes a nice 12'' skillet, available in two styles.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, my main workhorse stainless steel pan is a Tramontina and it has served me well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've cooked with Tramontina and All-Clad and I can't tell a difference (except the AC handle is a bit better). It's good poo poo for cheap.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is it better than the 12.5" TFal? http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Professional-Thermo-Spot-Indicator-Dishwasher/dp/B000GWG0T2

The TFal is a shade bigger and a bit cheaper, and I feel like I remember them being a good brand.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Do any professionals have recommendations for a sharpening stone? My knives are at the point where they need re edged, and I'm terrified of locals sharpening my knives as they have DESTROYED my co-worker's Shun Kaji. I have heard that water whetstones are the way to go, opinions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a spyderco sharpener. They're foolproof.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Searzall got me thinking... would a heatgun be any good as a handheld broiler, or is 1000° not good enough?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ironsolid posted:

Do any professionals have recommendations for a sharpening stone? My knives are at the point where they need re edged, and I'm terrified of locals sharpening my knives as they have DESTROYED my co-worker's Shun Kaji. I have heard that water whetstones are the way to go, opinions?

Shapton waterstones are really good and convenient. If you need to do some edge repair if get a 500ish and a 1.2kish grit.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

tramontina, t fal :words:

I would advise against anything with plastic handles as they cannot be used in an oven. All the tramontina and tfal I've seen has been plastic handled.

Cuisinart multi clad is great. I prefer all clad handles. And before mindphlux comes in here and rants about the handles Imma say that I used to abhor the handles too but after having them they're actually pretty nice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't like the all clad handles either. But the pans themselves are great.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If you're looking to save money on a single pan go to TJ Maxx , Marshall's or whatever the other regional name it goes by is. They have Cuisinart, TFal, AllClad etc... frequently. Just have to look around and or get lucky.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, I live in front-range Colorado, I'm looking to get my hands on some rooster for stewing, and farmer's market season has just ended. Does anyone have any favorite source for this sort of thing? I know commercially produced chickens are bed to grow as fast as possible and are butchered young. Even "older" chicken would be my style. I'm thinking about checking my local asian supermarket, but I'm a bit doubtful. When I look at the butcher's counter over there I tend to see a lot of pork and fish, but not often chicken.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would advise against anything with plastic handles as they cannot be used in an oven. All the tramontina and tfal I've seen has been plastic handled.

Cuisinart multi clad is great. I prefer all clad handles. And before mindphlux comes in here and rants about the handles Imma say that I used to abhor the handles too but after having them they're actually pretty nice.

Both of the Tramontina pans I linked have metal handles, so I'm not sure what your point is here?

Anyway yes, don't buy a pan with plastic handles.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Both of the Tramontina pans I linked have metal handles, so I'm not sure what your point is here?

Anyway yes, don't buy a pan with plastic handles.

Eh didn't click obv. "All the ones I've seen".

Edit: oh they're pancake bottoms. That's fine I guess. Prefer clad personally but it's a pretty negligible dif

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Speaking (maybe) of cooking utensils, does anybody have any idea what on earth this is?

A friend of a friend found it in a load of jumble and nobody they've asked knows what it is. I'm guessing from it being really decorative that it's not, say, a gardening tool and some food serving/shaping/prep usage seems likely...possibly? Virtually impossible to describe for a search too. Help!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like a peeler to me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, if I had to guess, probably a peeler. Or elaborate murder instrument...

Maybe butter knife, though that seems very unlikely given the slit in the middle.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cheese slicer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Chemmy posted:

Cheese slicer?

Or a peeler of some sort. I'd guess that the insides of the slit in the middle are sharp?