Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Midniter posted:

Yes, the massive burden that is (realistically) thirty seconds of water, 10 mL of soap, and two paper towels.

Also, gently caress you Thom Tillis, spell your god drat name the right way. Thom? Thom??

Actually while it is spelled "Thom Tillis" it is pronounced "loving Moron", sort of a unique name. :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean if you read the whole thing he's just trading one type of "heavy regulatory burden" (that of hand washing) for another (giant signs and "clear advertising" that say the employees don't wash their hands) so really not only is he a tremendous dumbass, he's a huge hypocrite who doesn't even understand the belief he's trying to act like he holds.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Shaming as a policy.. One step up from caning on the self-regulatory maturity ladder.

He should institutionalize shunning.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Ignaz Semmelweis, who was a pioneer of antiseptic procedures/handwashing, was committed to an asylum because his ideas were crazy and it's rude to imply that a gentleman's hands are dirty.

And if Vonnegut was telling the truth in "A Man Without a Country," Semmelweis killed himself by cutting himself with a scalpel used in the dissecting a corpse as a final "gently caress you/told you so" and died of blood poisoning.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

FishBulb posted:

I mean if you read the whole thing he's just trading one type of "heavy regulatory burden" (that of hand washing) for another (giant signs and "clear advertising" that say the employees don't wash their hands) so really not only is he a tremendous dumbass, he's a huge hypocrite who doesn't even understand the belief he's trying to act like he holds.

I read one article that made it pretty clear that, as a freshman senator, he's just trying to make a name for himself. Regardless of whether that name is "Senator Dumbass" or not.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

BlueGrot posted:

How do I make a bacon? I've gotten hold of 1lbs of wild boar belly.

Holy poo poo. I finished curing this monday and made a few slices today. I may never go back to buying bacon again.

(Who am I kidding, of course I'll buy bacon)

The rind was really rigid and needed high heat for quite some time to get crispy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If there are any fans of Noma in here my friend went to Redzepi's pop-up in Japan yesterday:

https://kakibell.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/haute-cuisine-noma-tokyo/

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Maybe it's because I was raised on meat and potatoes, but none of that looks appealing to me :/

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
That all looks crazy interesting and I want to eat it.

Also my coworker/labmate/whatever is going to Alinea in like March or April and I am so jealous.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

quote:

Husband hates pickles

quote:

ended up also having to eat part of my husband’s portion, as he actually dislikes tofu and couldn’t finish it

quote:

husband (who eats none of the above) was horrified by the smell and taste

quote:

My husband doesn’t like pumpkin so much

quote:

My husband does not like black garlic

quote:

my husband (who hates turnips) did not want to eat the turnip

quote:

Husband liked the rice sheets and ice cream, but left the sauce for me to eat.

quote:

Husband ate a bit of this, but doesn’t care too much for sweet potatoes

jesus christ, just leave your toddler at home next time

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Echeveria posted:

Maybe it's because I was raised on meat and potatoes, but none of that looks appealing to me :/

I was raised on meat and potatoes and Noma gives me a raging food boner

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

Well... If you take the cholera vaccine (mandatory for my colleagues, who've all gotten afflicted with autism and self-diagnosed assburger), you will actually gain immunity to e-coli as well (but only for 6 months).

Now the diseases that you Americans decided shouldn't be eradicated anyways, those diseases are kinda mild compared to some of the more serious ones out there (Japanese enchaphilitis, rabies, yellow fever, hep a and b, cholera are the less exotic ones that I am vaccinated against, and then some more dangerous of the exotic ones), do they also decline to vaccinate their children against diseases that will with certainty kill them if they should get them?

What about tetanus? I've seen a guy die from tetanus.

Death from tetanus is about the second saddest thing I've seen, and I guess that is something that you can easily contract in the US as well. Do they want to protect tetanus too?

Or is only the disfiguring ones that they're actively promoting?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us/vaccine-critics-turn-defensive-over-measles.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=2

http://vaccineimpact.com/2015/arizona-cardiologist-responds-to-critics-regarding-measles-and-vaccines/

Some choice quotes in both of these.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

I was raised on meat and potatoes and Noma gives me a raging food boner

Then it's as I feared, I'm an uncultured goblin.

I'm actually working on broadening my palate, but I haven't gotten quite that far yet.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Steve Yun posted:

If there are any fans of Noma in here my friend went to Redzepi's pop-up in Japan yesterday:

https://kakibell.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/haute-cuisine-noma-tokyo/

The food sounds amazing but lmao at every mention of their husband. Get him some wild foraged chicken fingers next time.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

king salmon posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who noticed this. What DOES he like?

By the way, I would eat all of that weird poo poo in a heartbeat. Ive never had raw shrimp and have always wanted to try it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

Or is only the disfiguring ones that they're actively promoting?

We've started off with the disfiguring ones as proof of concept. It's hard to argue against the effectiveness of non-vaccination when you can point to the legions of smallpox lesions and wheelchair-bound polio victims to support its strengths. Once we've got an army of crippled and maimed people to show for our efforts, we'll probably move on to the more subtle, higher mortality diseases. Don't worry, there's plenty of fake histrionics and anti-science lunacy to support the return of all preventable diseases. Our Five Year Plan includes dipping into the CDC's disease library for extinct pathogens to reintroduce, but please, one step at a time. There are still areas where herd immunity to measles exists; we have to eradicate that first.

BlueGrot posted:

Holy poo poo. I finished curing this monday and made a few slices today. I may never go back to buying bacon again.

(Who am I kidding, of course I'll buy bacon)

The rind was really rigid and needed high heat for quite some time to get crispy.

I never buy bacon anymore, just Berkshire belly to cure. Then again I'm not a very aggressive consumer of bacon these days - I mostly use it for seasoning vegetables, maybe have it for breakfast once every couple of weeks. If I was eating bacon a few times a week I'd probably break down and buy some as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What's your bacon recipe, Bart? Do you use Ruhlman's?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I have today off, and I think I'm gonna make chili and freeze it, stew for dinner, and do some baking. I wonder if the zucchini I bought like three weeks ago is still any good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Echeveria posted:

When I started doing tasting menus I gained an appreciation for things I used to not like.

Nothing there made me say "oh wow" but I'd happily eat there and try it all and I'd bet it's good.

Try something new! It's fun.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

king salmon posted:

quote:

I took a taste (my husband usually asks me to taste test things for him to make sure they are “edible” by his standards)

Actually it's genius, as she gets to taste and eat all the things he won't. :v:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What's your bacon recipe, Bart? Do you use Ruhlman's?
Yes, Ruhlman's basic dry cure. Sometimes I add some pepper and/or juniper berries. Cure for 3-5 days, rinse and dry, leave uncovered in fridge for pellicle formation 3-4 days, smoke at 200F for 4-6 hours. I leave the skin on until it finishes smoking and pull it off while the bacon is still hot. It peels off like greasy velcro. I usually throw the skin in my stock pot, but if you want to avoid a bit of smoke in the stock I imagine it would fry up fine for chicharrones.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mich posted:

Actually it's genius, as she gets to taste and eat all the things he won't. :v:

Is she married to someone with Asberger's? Because, and please note I am not a doctor, it sounds like it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Is she married to someone with Asberger's? Because, and please note I am not a doctor, it sounds like it.

From the "About" section of that blog:

quote:

The husband: My husband of 5 years who was born and raised in St. Louis, MO with Taiwanese parents and a younger brother. He is a dedicated gamer who works in the industry and owns a game collection that takes over our entire home. He followed me to Japan, and, despite having his heart broken the first time, stayed, leveled up and managed to win my heart 5 years later when we randomly ran into each other at a networking event. He is an extremely picky eater. He does not eat seafood (except for certain types of sushi), eggs, most non-brassica vegetables, most “exotic” fruits nor tofu. Much of the recipes I cook must be altered in some shape or form to be edible to him.

Picky eater...video game collection that takes over the entire home...of Taiwanese descent but doesn't eat seafood? Something's off there, for sure.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

blog posted:

He followed me to Japan, and, despite having his heart broken the first time, stayed, leveled up and managed to win my heart 5 years later when we randomly ran into each other at a networking event.

This is gross. My husband and I had an early attempt at dating that went horribly wrong and we reconnected years later, but I would never, EVER imply that he had to change or improve who he was to "win my heart." I dunno, I don't really get off on putting down the man I married. *shrug*

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
*sigh*

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

This is gross. My husband and I had an early attempt at dating that went horribly wrong and we reconnected years later, but I would never, EVER imply that he had to change or improve who he was to "win my heart." I dunno, I don't really get off on putting down the man I married. *shrug*

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... Not remotely flattering to her husband.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

You guys turned from "this guy is a literal toddler, sever" to "she's really not being very thoughtful of his feelings, that's kind of mean" in record time. Bravo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

You guys turned from "this guy is a literal toddler, sever" to "she's really not being very thoughtful of his feelings, that's kind of mean" in record time. Bravo.

We are equal-opportunity judges.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Everyone is gay and bad

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

That's not what I meant at all. He is still a literal toddler, but she deserves him.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Imagine what the non-"Leveled up" version of that sad manchild would be like.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I think it's sweet the picky eater husband took his wife to a food event that's probably the least interesting thing ever to him. He got to see her have a good time and she got to eat parts of his alternate menu. Win-win.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Some people just aren't really into food. It's like people who aren't into music. I'm like, what is wrong in your brain, how can you not be into music??

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Most of the people I know who don't give any fucks about food grew up being fed by a really indifferent cook and are themselves not very good in a kitchen. However, they can be trained. There is hope.

My thermapen arrived while I was off sick from work yesterday. :unsmith: I tested it on things.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Also you guys are sure jumping to a lot of conclusions over a little paragraph she uses on her blog to introduce her husband. They could have been incompatible before without it meaning he was a worse person who she viewed as needing to improve himself. He works in the game industry, saying he "leveled up" is probably just her attempted cutesy way of saying things changed, they got together. She obviously doesn't expect him to change who he is since she appears to be really accommodating of his picky eating habits and adjusts recipes so he can eat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would eat raw shrimp with ants on it but I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it.

Have any of you guys ever ordered frozen New Mexico chilis? I was out of town last Aug-Sept and didnt have a chance to stock up. I am having huge cravings and need this stuff.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Echeveria posted:

Some people just aren't really into food. It's like people who aren't into music. I'm like, what is wrong in your brain, how can you not be into music??
I am really quite indifferent to music. Like, I enjoy it if it is around, but I don't go seek it out.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bunnielab posted:

Have any of you guys ever ordered frozen New Mexico chilis? I was out of town last Aug-Sept and didnt have a chance to stock up. I am having huge cravings and need this stuff.

We get a couple of cases ever year and what we don't use right away we either can or freeze. The frozen ones turn out fine, so I imagine the ones you want to get would be as well. Would they be roasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I haven't ordered them online or anything, but I've bought bulk frozen plenty of times. Where are you located and who are you looking at buying from? I probably have 25# in my freezer right now, but a lot of it was bought freshly roasted and driven up here by friends/family, then frozen by us because as much as I love chile, I can't eat literal pounds of it on a daily basis.