Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The only real use for that I can think for something like that is if you have the opposite of the SG problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Brb covering the body of my jaguar bass in capos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just booked tickets to go watch Parliment hell yeah

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Last band I went watching was the Wildhearts a couple of weeks back, this was immense live, I love the riff and how the band plays in a percussive way, really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jn7FwLVoRQ

And this as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqssgx1aRVo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When did Greg Dulli join Sloan?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's some 90s indie rock references from grandpa fyodor.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I didn't get the reference :(

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My main jam buddy's 'understanding' of tuning drives me loving nuts. Spent the better part of 40 mins yesterday putting my RG in D standard as thats what we used last time on my crummy Vintage.

today he asks what tuning we're in when we meet a drummer on Saturday I say 'D', told him the notes low to igh and somehow he has interpreted this as drop C. Same as when we first met, he asked what my guitar was in, i said C# standard and so he tuned to drop B. Why is this so hard to understand, he's been playing 17 years!?

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 10, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Just booked tickets to go watch Parliment hell yeah

Wow! Jealous.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NonzeroCircle posted:

My main jam buddy's 'understanding' of tuning drives me loving nuts. Spent the better part of 40 mins yesterday putting my RG in D standard as thats what we used last time on my crummy Vintage.

today he asks what tuning we're in when we meet a drummer on Saturday I say 'D', told him the notes low to igh and somehow he has interpreted this as drop C. Same as when we first met, he asked what my guitar was in, i said C# standard and so he tuned to drop B. Why is this so hard to understand, he's been playing 17 years!?

You must be hard up for a jam buddy.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

fyodor posted:

Just how long are people holding a note?

Well you could go and have a bite and that'd still be going!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Chrpno posted:

Thank you

edit: Do you hear that?

No

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'm excited!

NonzeroCircle posted:

And baffled!

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Chrpno posted:

Funny that Spinal Tap gets referenced in the thread today.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/08/spinal-tap-lawsuit-harry-shearer-rob-reiner-vivendi

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Tap should be referenced everyday

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Tell him to 1. buy a tuner and 2. learn to read.

Also ask him if he understands the concept of tuners, you know, where you have to perform the herculean task of putting the moving thing on the not-moving thing.

Also, does he have a guitar with a floyd rose bridge on it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ok so im teaching myself reaper and micing cabs at the same time and i have no idea what im doing yet but i managed to record some sloppy riffs and i feel like that's good progress for today

https://soundcloud.com/user-838985858/test

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

muike posted:

ok so im teaching myself reaper and micing cabs at the same time and i have no idea what im doing yet but i managed to record some sloppy riffs and i feel like that's good progress for today

https://soundcloud.com/user-838985858/test

This is the soundtrack to a pretty rad movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I'm excited!

I wonder how many different billings George Clinton has performed under. I saw them twice in the 90s and I am pretty sure they were billed as George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars. His granddaughter did a rap at one of those shows. :shobon:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I saw that tour in Raleigh. It was at the place that used to be called The Ritz, I don't remember what it was called that year (the place was notorious for shutting down and reopening like every couple years.)
I didn't know what to expect except a good time, and a very good time it was.

They had the stage risen in stages to the back wall, with the horns in the back up almost in the drat rafters, and I swear at one point I counted about 30 musicians on stage. The costume changes were hilarious, too. The guitarists came out in diapers, wedding dresses, etc. It was truly funkadelic.

SRV was supremely hosed up when I saw him at Dorton Arena in 1987, but George Clinton just appeared to be the most peacefully stoned man alive.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's back to being the ritz again after livenation bought it

i was gonna see george clinton at ziggy's in winston about 10 years ago but he was too hosed up on crack to do the show

then they tore ziggy's down

i'm assuming the two events are related

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 11, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

GreatGreen posted:

Tell him to 1. buy a tuner and 2. learn to read.

Also ask him if he understands the concept of tuners, you know, where you have to perform the herculean task of putting the moving thing on the not-moving thing.

Also, does he have a guitar with a floyd rose bridge on it?

No I'm the rear end in a top hat with the floating trem in this juncture. I've tried explaining it many times and just about given up, its easier to spend that time adjusting a trem before we meet than trying to explain it. Otherwise i have no issues with him, he plays well and is always coming up with good riffs, he just seems to have severe tuning dyslexia

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

I wonder how many different billings George Clinton has performed under. I saw them twice in the 90s and I am pretty sure they were billed as George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars. His granddaughter did a rap at one of those shows. :shobon:

I honestly have no clue, I should read up on it and see if any legit members are going to be there, I'd kill to see Bootsy but I don't know if that will happen.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

NonzeroCircle posted:

No I'm the rear end in a top hat with the floating trem in this juncture. I've tried explaining it many times and just about given up, its easier to spend that time adjusting a trem before we meet than trying to explain it. Otherwise i have no issues with him, he plays well and is always coming up with good riffs, he just seems to have severe tuning dyslexia

I am actually genuinely baffled as to how this is is even possible. Does he have a tuner? Does he have access to CDs or MP3s with songs in whatever turning he needs as a reference? Does he just loving guess? Like, "one time I heard this song and I think it was in C# and I think I remember what that sounded like so I'll just start twisting these goddamn tuners until it sounds like kind of how I remember. What's that? Perfect pitch? What the hell's a perfect pitch supposed to be all pitches are different idiot."

Like how much totally unfounded arrogance does it take to get it so obviously wrong in front of people you're playing music with multiple times and still just think "yeah gently caress it I know what I'm doing it's probably right this time even nothing is different at all." Your riff buddy is an rear end in a top hat and I don't like him.

It looks like your friend has gone and done it, my feathers are officially ruffled.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 11, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. Faustus posted:

SRV was supremely hosed up in 1987

Yo you had too many words in this sentence

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Good point.

At the show in Raleigh he was wearing a Hugs Not Drugs t-shirt. I don't think he opened his eyes once the whole night.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

The costume changes were hilarious, too. The guitarists came out in diapers, wedding dresses, etc. It was truly funkadelic.

I've also witnessed the diaper collage, 70s fur coats, and fairy costumes. And one of the backup singers was quite pregnant, wearing a bikini.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that reminds me there was a really good and kinda sad article in wapo a few years back about what happnened to the mothership

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/11/AR2010041103996.html?sid=ST2010061706769

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So how gentle is the China Post going to be with my precious transistors, capacitors and resistors? Mood: feeling anxious.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fyodor posted:

So how gentle is the China Post going to be with my precious transistors, capacitors and resistors? Mood: feeling anxious.

Those components aren't particularly prone to being smashed. A little bubble wrap should be enuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fyodor posted:

The cargo ship carrying your poo poo could go down in the pacific, be dredged up, and then the coast guard sends you your package and all those components would still be fine after three seconds of filing off rust from the contacts.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Manlove posted:

The cargo ship carrying your poo poo could go down in the pacific, be dredged up, and then the coast guard sends you your package and all those components would still be fine after three seconds of filing off rust from the contacts.

How long have you worked for electro harmonix?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I will never get tired of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

"Just add a little flute"

edit: I seriously want to buy this poo poo

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
He can tune a guitar just fine, his other band tunes to D standard and he has no issue with doing or understanding this, yet somehow when I say "D standard" he hears "drop C" somehow. Its truly baffling.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dirt posted:

I will never get tired of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

"Just add a little flute"

edit: I seriously want to buy this poo poo

drat those are some gnarly faces

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So, what are people's ideas for stupid stuff that doesn't exist yet?

I'd love some sort of real time pitch to midi converter that can tell when i play a certain note (lets say the lowest E on a guitar) and trigger a kick drum, and then a snare when i play the octave above it. Totally pointless for anything other than djenting around but i reckon it'd be a cool home jamming tool.

Or an intelligent delay pedal (i think with some finagling a couple of vsts or effort-chains in DAWs can do it) that only repeats on higher notes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Surely any functional pitch-to-midi converter could already trigger whatever the gently caress sounds you want?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Really? That's cool if so, I dabbled with rendering pitch to midi in Ableton a while ago with very variable results but couldn't get near what was in my head, since moved over to Cubase. Maybe I'll give it another crack, any recommendations on vsts that'd help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Really? That's cool if so, I dabbled with rendering pitch to midi in Ableton a while ago with very variable results but couldn't get near what was in my head, since moved over to Cubase. Maybe I'll give it another crack, any recommendations on vsts that'd help?

something like jam origin's midi guitar 2

• Locked thread