Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

abrosheen posted:

If you surround your raw food with the most restrictive traffic designation, do they just ignore it and still go for the nearest direct square behind the designation?

I don't think that will matter. They don't pathfind to the food during the selection process, if they're treating it in the same way workshops treat raw material selection; they simply look for the nearest straight-line item from where they are. THEN they pathfind, and at that point even having to wade through a bunch of 'restricted' tiles won't stop them.

The way the pathfinding works, traffic designations simply add to the distance the dwarf calculates when figuring out their route. 'Restricted' tiles add a whole lot (25 distance by default), but don't physically restrict a dwarf from pathing through them. In fact, this is true of MOST pathing in the fort, unless something has changed recently; even invaders and wild monsters respect traffic designations if they have to route out a longer path because they're using the same system. This used to not be the case, at one point in time; originally, 'Restricted' meant 'Restricted' and removed the tile from use in pathfinding...until it was discovered that 1) this could lead to massive FPS loss as the pathfinding went haywire and 2) it meant you could entirely stop invading armies from pathing into your fort by just firmly telling them not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Nosfereefer posted:

Aren't dwarf pretty content nowadays anyway? Haven't experienced a tantrum spiral forever.

I only get them now if dead bodies are left all over the place, and usually it's one of the poets/bards/whatevers that begins freaking out from all the corpses and decides to punch people or become depressed and no longer respond to commands. Then the cops beat them and chains them up which just makes them more upset and depressed. Somehow all of that gets prioritized over cleaning up goblin corpses.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Could you make the kitchen into a black box? Make a kitchen area with living rooms, kitchen and wells and stuff then wall up the entrance. Somehow make a input where dwarves put ingredients, the cook dwarves cook it and automatically sends it through a output.
Maybe use minecarts for this? If it’s impossible to path into the kitchen then dwarves can’t eat all the ingredients

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Selklubber posted:

Could you make the kitchen into a black box? Make a kitchen area with living rooms, kitchen and wells and stuff then wall up the entrance. Somehow make a input where dwarves put ingredients, the cook dwarves cook it and automatically sends it through a output.
Maybe use minecarts for this? If it’s impossible to path into the kitchen then dwarves can’t eat all the ingredients

Another good use for an isolated vampire.

We tell people that the secret to the fort's incredible cooking is love, but really it's a seething hatred of the living tempered by the Legendary+47 chef's immense pridefulness.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Another good use for an isolated vampire.

We tell people that the secret to the fort's incredible cooking is love, but really it's a seething hatred of the living tempered by the Legendary+47 chef's immense pridefulness.

I'm thinking of building a hatch over the kitchen, so I can dump new cooks in when the old ones go mad. The corpse goes out with the complete dish minecart, perfect end station is the tavern. If I find a vampire I can stuff him in there the same way.

Are minecarts the only way to move a large amount of items without them being forbidden like dumping?

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 31, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Is it possible to disable the pause+zoom for evil weather events? I'm getting really sick of the game interrupting me every time infernal fog drifts around outside. Especially since none of my dwarves have been outside for almost a year.

It's not even dangerous fog, assuming there's no hostiles around. Just makes you puke blood for a bit and fall unconscious for a longer bit. Even the cavy I used as a test subject survived it. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Haifisch posted:

Is it possible to disable the pause+zoom for evil weather events? I'm getting really sick of the game interrupting me every time infernal fog drifts around outside. Especially since none of my dwarves have been outside for almost a year.

It's not even dangerous fog, assuming there's no hostiles around. Just makes you puke blood for a bit and fall unconscious for a longer bit. Even the cavy I used as a test subject survived it. :v:

data > init > announcements.txt might have something

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Specifically, you're going to be looking for an evil weather or fog announcement or something like that, and in the list of reactions the game will have to this event, one of them will just be 'p', for pause; if you remove that tag, the next time you load the game it should no longer pause when encountering that particular event. There's also a tag 'r' that tells the game to recenter on an event, which can be removed if the game normally zooms in on that location and you don't want that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I had noticed earlier that this happens, and it's still one of my favorite problems. I assume it has to do with food selection being the type of job selection that still looks purely at xy coordinates while disregarding pathing in order to select a food item, so to solve it you'd probably have to physically arrange your food prep to occur further away from the center of your fortress than all other activites.

I assume a lot of fortress modes' quirks and fps problems could probably be mitigated by improving how the game makes pathing decisions, but that might be an erroneous assumption given a lot of the underlying code of Dwarf Fortress is a total black box.

...okay, so looking into it further I shouldn't be surprised to learn that there is a wiki entry about the game's pathing (sussed out experimentally and later confirmed in an interview), and it sounds like the above is indeed the case; the dwarf chooses the food item that is closest in terms of grid numbers in order to avoid additional pathing calculations. Pondering on it further, I'm not sure how you could make fortress mode pathing better without bogging the player down with more cruft. ...thinking on it I'm wondering if clever burrow use would actually result in a measurable FPS gain by restricting the amount of pathing most of your dwarves are allowed to think about. The average fort already resembles some sort of USSR efficiency town experiment, I'm sure the dwarves won't mind a few extra rules.

it turns out that the thing toady hates the most is working on the pathfinding, so i don't expect we'll ever get complicated path-choice behavior for most tasks

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Toady's mentioned a few times over on the Bay12 forums that he genuinely has no idea what he's doing half the time due to being self-taught. Combine this with his (understandable) reluctance to replace the current placeholder systems with more placeholders, and you get DF's clunkier aspects.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I decided to generate a 1050 year world like the ones from the good old days so I left DF running for literally 24 hours to generate a world that will almost certainly be unplayable because there are a hundred thousand living people and over 5 and a half million events.

edit: super excited to scour legends mode, though.

edit2: okay its taking an hour to open. maybe this is a one time legends excursion.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 1, 2018

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

Aren't dwarf pretty content nowadays anyway? Haven't experienced a tantrum spiral forever.

I can't remember the last time I had a tantrum spiral, if ever.

Hell, I can't remember the last time I had a siege. Ever since Toady implemented armies taking geography into account, I guess? I always embark within range of goblins but none ever show up.

And I put so many traps/party favors out for them. :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Sankis posted:

I decided to generate a 1050 year world like the ones from the good old days so I left DF running for literally 24 hours to generate a world that will almost certainly be unplayable because there are a hundred thousand living people and over 5 and a half million events.

edit: super excited to scour legends mode, though.

edit2: okay its taking an hour to open. maybe this is a one time legends excursion.

I do miss being outside of the Age of Myth, sometimes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

data > init > announcements.txt might have something
That did it; looks like it's classed under the STRANGE_CLOUD announcements.

I can't wait for all my dwarves to die the next time I embark on an evil biome, forget about the lack of pause/zoom, and miss a more dangerous fog/cloud. :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My computer can't actually generate a world with more than 120 or so years of history so I just leave it at that, it doesn't really seem to affect fortress mode.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Shorter histories are probably better overall for fortress mode, since there's more available space for sites and you've got more megabeasts and such knocking around. The biggest disadvantages I can think of are that it can be harder to find a civ to be at war with if that's what you're looking for, and that sometimes civs haven't spread out enough for you to find reliable trade partners in some of the more distant corners of the world.

I've occasionally had longer histories of around 500 years where it's already harder to find good sites for forts because every mountainous region was completely packed with dwarven sites and every evil region was filled with gigantic 10x10 goblin sites or whatever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shorter histories are probably better overall for fortress mode, since there's more available space for sites and you've got more megabeasts and such knocking around. The biggest disadvantages I can think of are that it can be harder to find a civ to be at war with if that's what you're looking for, and that sometimes civs haven't spread out enough for you to find reliable trade partners in some of the more distant corners of the world.

I've occasionally had longer histories of around 500 years where it's already harder to find good sites for forts because every mountainous region was completely packed with dwarven sites and every evil region was filled with gigantic 10x10 goblin sites or whatever.

At 100 years or so I can usually find a place that's not too annoying to settle in and which has a nice warlike goblin civilization to provide comedy, I have to be careful when selecting sites though and usually the smaller continents are hard to find the right conditions in.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Region maps (as opposed to continents) in advanced world generation give you so much more landmass to work with. And since there's only one partial-edge ocean to deal with, you don't need as many civs as everything will be able to make contact eventually.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do pocket works at the longest history setting it takes a week or two to gen but it's rad. It would be cool if we started saving cool worlds for peeps who can't gen huge worlds

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Turtlicious posted:

I do pocket works at the longest history setting it takes a week or two to gen but it's rad. It would be cool if we started saving cool worlds for peeps who can't gen huge worlds

how do your framerates do on worlds that old? any impact on how long it takes to save?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Turtlicious posted:

Generally if you can't generate it, you can't open it in legends viewer either (much less play it)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

Region maps (as opposed to continents) in advanced world generation give you so much more landmass to work with. And since there's only one partial-edge ocean to deal with, you don't need as many civs as everything will be able to make contact eventually.

Until Toady implements some form of sailing then there's no reason to use continental maps anyways. All it does is isolate various parts of the world and make things less interesting.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Until Toady implements some form of sailing then there's no reason to use continental maps anyways. All it does is isolate various parts of the world and make things less interesting.

How does that work mechanically, anyways? Even on isolated islands, in the current build, you'll still always be able to get trade caravans and migrants from your civ. Does it just cheat and assume that your site MUST be accessible by your civ, since you got there somehow?

Am I misremembering that this wasn't always the case, that you used to be able to just gently caress off to somewhere so isolated no one would ever visit your fort?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

How does that work mechanically, anyways? Even on isolated islands, in the current build, you'll still always be able to get trade caravans and migrants from your civ. Does it just cheat and assume that your site MUST be accessible by your civ, since you got there somehow?

Am I misremembering that this wasn't always the case, that you used to be able to just gently caress off to somewhere so isolated no one would ever visit your fort?

your civ's caravan and migrants have been able reach you anywhere through any obstacle, even if it means they have to travel a thousand miles across the bottom of the ocean, for pretty much as long as fortress mode has existed

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Turtlicious posted:

The thing with longer pocket worlds is that it's really easy for races to be wiped off the map with bad megabeast luck. Which is cool on one hand, but could be really annoying if you like interacting with all the races when playing.

I recently genned a 6000 year pocket island where humans, elves, and kobolds were all extinct by year 400-something thanks to one roc. The roc, in turn, was killed by a jabberer in the year 600-something.

There was also a weird 'war' between dwarves and goblins that had one battle in the year 500-something, and had no other battles but was still technically ongoing thousands of years later.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mister Bates posted:

your civ's caravan and migrants have been able reach you anywhere through any obstacle, even if it means they have to travel a thousand miles across the bottom of the ocean, for pretty much as long as fortress mode has existed

I thought the way it worked was there was a scripted two migrant wave and caravan visits, but after that if your fortress was technically inaccessible then nobody would show up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If all your map edges are ocean since you embarked on a tiny island how does this effect migrants?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm kind of surprised no one besides monsters will path through the cavern layers.

I wonder if Toady plans to implement sea travel.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I actually genned a 700ish year world and I'm in the second age of myth. Do megabeasts reproduce? Did the population dip long enough for the age of Legends to start and then rebound?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

7c Nickel posted:

I actually genned a 700ish year world and I'm in the second age of myth. Do megabeasts reproduce? Did the population dip long enough for the age of Legends to start and then rebound?

Megabeasts can reproduce but it's staggeringly unlikely under normal circumstances.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I think dragons sometimes will, but I'm not sure what others even have the requisite tags.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm kind of surprised no one besides monsters will path through the cavern layers.

I wonder if Toady plans to implement sea travel.

Dwarves are supposed to travel through the first cavern layer. Toady just hasn't properly implemented deep roads yet.

Also apparently he's planned having stuff like undead pirates as night creatures which implies a bigger nautical update at some point.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
ships and seaports are listed on the dev roadmap as a future goal

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Cool. Maybe dwarven scholars will have solved framerate death by then. "Pathing: My Only Mistake."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Can Pathing Save the World?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I haven't touched that kind of math in like a decade now, but I believe the chosen algorithm for pathfinding IS a pretty decent generalist solution to the problem. It's just that Dwarf Fortress is a uniquely sprawling mess, so a generalist solution may not be the best fit for playability.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if, EVENTUALLY, Toady lets someone else try to re-engineer pathfinding and item tracking to be less resource-intensive, but he's also probably going to ignore the problem as long as he can while working on his feature list, same as with the graphics overhaul.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

ships and seaports are listed on the dev roadmap as a future goal

my feeling is that after he does his first pass at myth and magic stuff he'll go and try and do boats.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

my feeling is that after he does his first pass at myth and magic stuff he'll go and try and do boats.

That seems like a reasonable guess. Given that magic was such an early part of the experimental code and such a large part of the stories he and his brother write that dictate the scope of the game, I expect that a proper attempt at a 'magic arc' in the development cycle will probably be another one of the long stretches, though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I haven't played this in years and hosed up while trying to redirect a brook into my fortress to make a cistern to dip a well into. I guess I forgot that water can flow diagonally through squares and only put down one floodgate, like an idiot. Now the water has completely filled the tunnel (which is a tunnel, with channelled floors, so I guess it's two z-levels deep?), and I guess if I pop a hole at the top for a well, it'll flood my whole fortress.

How do I fix this? Can I even fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Montalvo posted:

I haven't played this in years and hosed up while trying to redirect a brook into my fortress to make a cistern to dip a well into. I guess I forgot that water can flow diagonally through squares and only put down one floodgate, like an idiot. Now the water has completely filled the tunnel (which is a tunnel, with channelled floors, so I guess it's two z-levels deep?), and I guess if I pop a hole at the top for a well, it'll flood my whole fortress.

How do I fix this? Can I even fix it?

Pumps. build a couple pumps to pump water out of the channel. Pumps pump water faster than water flows naturally, so a few pumps should result in a dry-ish spot by the pump intakes. Have a stockpile for stone blocks nearby, so as soon as the water is gone you can have a couple guys rush in and build a wall.

Once the wall is built the dry spot will be protected and you can rig up new floodgates. Except don't use floodgates. Building destroyers can destroy floodgates, and when the floodgates are closed the area behind them will be dry and accessible to land species because of the way you built your trench. Use a draw bridge instead, orient it so when the bridge is raised it becomes a wall that blocks the channel.

BTW, the water pumps don't have to pump to anywhere in particular. They can blow their load on the ground, the water will spread out and may cause some 'dangerous ground' job cancellations, but in your situation with the trench and the brook the flowing water shouldn't be able to kill anyone. Once you stop pumping it will eventually evaporate.

Alternate solution: if you added magma to the water it would harden into obsidian and block the tunnel. Magma solves everything.