Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/georgepbush/status/1204900117670694912

I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Statue of Jefferson Davis on the UT quad: That's just history. How else will the kids learn? Statues don't mean we revere people.

Statue of Santa Anna in the Alamo: How loving dare you. We would never put up a statue of that monster!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Went to an event and got to meet Chris Bell today in Amarillo. He is one of the Dems running for Senate, and ran for governor in 2006.

Some highlights on his position/talk:
-Supported a public option but opposed the medicare for all plan replacing private insurance
-Supported net neutrality when asked
-Came out strong for action on climate change
-Came out strong for voting rights, making voting easier, etc
-I asked him about removing the filibuster, and he said he'd support it
-I asked him about Trump judicial nominees, he said "unqualified people shouldn't be approved," kinda dodging the question a tad
-Supported an assault rifle ban, acknowledged that Amarillo might not be the best place to say that
-Supported restoring the fairness doctrine to counter-act right wing media/fox news.

Overall thought he did a solid job and while certainly not radical, seemed like decent Dem positions, probably above average for a Texas Dem. Wasn't any clear moderate posturing outside of healthcare, though he privately admitted to me that he only wants to preserve private insurance because of the blow back he got at public events from Democrats themselves.

He probably mentioned other stuff I forgot, ask me and I might remember his position on the issue.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

PTSD veteran disappears with family worried about harming themselves or others

I figured it was either something like this or a hunter missing, but couldn’t decide which was more Texas.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Badger of Basra posted:

When are they gonna make one for the spouses of fallen veterans? Why do they hate the troops?

Some time after purple alerts for wounded veterans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soon all of the colors of the rainbow will be alerts and the Jade Helm Gay Agenda will be complete, and the very pen that signs the laws will be held by a republican. The fools.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1205128005871448066

Call up some of these DINOs if you live in their districts

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cuellar's essentially a Republican, he'll support Trump as long as it's politically safe to do so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those who live there will have a more accurate impression, but mine is that all valley democrats above say, 45, are basically republicans on everything except immigration.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

Those who live there will have a more accurate impression, but mine is that all valley democrats above say, 45, are basically republicans on everything except immigration.

Republicans were like 3 minutes away from making Texas red forever but at the last minute they went and pulled the RACISM! lever to appeal to voters in Collin County

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
And they just sent out the exact same blue alert again just now. Any computer toucher have any tips on how I can block that number on my phone?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If it's an iPhone, it's under notifications.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

And for androids it should be under the Messaging app settings (though I don't know if you can separate them from other alerts like Amber, so you'd be turning them all off).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1205183001430237186

How many of these are republicans

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
hey anyone here in the houston area free next tuesday, come to my event and awkwardly call strangers for bernie

https://www.mobilize.us/sanderstx/event/173623/

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

cross post from primary thread.

I put my name in, but I can't attend the webinar because of a scheduling conflict.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oxsnard posted:

hey anyone here in the houston area free next tuesday, come to my event and awkwardly call strangers for bernie

https://www.mobilize.us/sanderstx/event/173623/

I would but I work until 6 that night. Post more as they come up though!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

I would but I work until 6 that night. Post more as they come up though!

will do. Send these to your friends too, my social life has been dead for the past couple of years thanks to kids

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
GREY ALERT: I CAN'T FIND THE REMOTE AND THE WIFE WON'T HELP ME LOOK

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Luckyellow posted:

And they just sent out the exact same blue alert again just now. Any computer toucher have any tips on how I can block that number on my phone?

On Android, I read that they're categorized as "Severe" alerts so you have to block up to that level. All that's really left after that is "Extreme," which I'm assuming is the "nukes are coming" level but will eventually probably become "Two cops got hurt!" alert level.

I'm guessing suppressing up to the severe level worked because I didn't get more of them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HarrisonGuy/status/1205565423489601536

Good lord

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I think this will be my first time voting in a Saturday run-off. Will it feel as strange as I think it will? I'm scared of things that are different.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

The Buzbee campaign also sent a text to pretty much everyone with muni voting history in the Houston Metro with a Trump endorsement. Not sure it's the smartest move in a city that goes like 65% Dem

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1205644479371382786?s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Hey so a spot of good news in hell world that is Texas suburbs. After a few klansman in my 5000 member neighborhood facebook group outed themselves as absolute ghouls, a few people and I started a advocacy group that's already up to 75 members. And I got 6 volunteers to sign up for a Bernie Sanders event. This was in the span of 2 hours this morning. So thanks, angry white bigots!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Statue of Jefferson Davis on the UT quad: That's just history. How else will the kids learn? Statues don't mean we revere people.

Statue of Santa Anna in the Alamo: How loving dare you. We would never put up a statue of that monster!

I'm not sure Santa Anna is even liked much in Mexico, seeing as how he was exiled at least twice. Cracking down on Texas was just one very ill-fated project on a career that had already turned to dictatorship.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Edward Mass posted:

Why did I just get a Blue Alert on my TV and phone?

Also, what is a Blue Alert?

OP did you download some blue lives matter app or something

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
The Warren Texas headquarters had their grand opening today in the old Beto for Texas Austin office. Do any other campaigns besides Warren and Castro have offices in Texas yet?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Marxalot posted:

Most phones from carriers come with Facebook already installed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The Warren Texas headquarters had their grand opening today in the old Beto for Texas Austin office. Do any other campaigns besides Warren and Castro have offices in Texas yet?

bernie's old one from 2016 was on like east 8th or something iirc

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Marxalot posted:

The come in the latest iOS software as public safety alerts, like weather alerts and amber alerts

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
To be fair knowing the cops are going to be extra bloodthirsty is a pretty important public safety issue

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
they caught the guy near my neighborhood and the white people on the internet here were calling for a good ole fashioned lynchin'

guess which of these posts was made by a POC and led to threats over DM?

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 15, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1206016171641856000?s=20

Houston has 2.3 million people living in it but the mayor's going to be decided by, optimistically, 250k voters.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

EwokEntourage posted:

The come in the latest iOS software as public safety alerts, like weather alerts and amber alerts

Android havers :whatup:, never get woken up by blue lives mattering (or any of these other alerts tbh)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Marxalot posted:

Android havers :whatup:, never get woken up by blue lives mattering (or any of these other alerts tbh)

You can turn them off in iOS as well

Settings - notifications - very bottom for those wondering

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I have gotten involved in 2 races over the last couple of years (e.g., canvassing, phone banking, fundraising).

The first lost to a state rep race to Dwayne Bohac by 47 votes.

The second lost a city council race last night by 12 votes.

I think im done other than getting mad on the internet. I loving hate electoral politics so much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TFW you get crushed in the runoff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

I have gotten involved in 2 races over the last couple of years (e.g., canvassing, phone banking, fundraising).

The first lost to a state rep race to Dwayne Bohac by 47 votes.

I think im done other than getting mad on the internet. I loving hate electoral politics so much.

*hands you a box of bottles and oily rags* welcome, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

If it helps, I voted for Longoria and I'd do it again.