Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He worked with some of my relatives, and he seemed like a decent enough guy at the functions I attended. Just a bit pedantic in the way that all PhDs are. Though this was back in the early 2000s so no idea if he's substantially changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I can imagine a well-meaning smart guy seeing the growing hordes of anti-intellectual goblins, saying "Maybe I need to double down on being publicly smart", and it backfiring.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
He shows up anywhere he's invited to smug it up about anything these days. I remember him being lovably smug back in the day, but the positive attention went to his head and now he thinks he has actual meditative wisdom that can be broadly applied, rather than a very specific intellectual focus. He's not virulent, but he's super obnoxious, and it pains me to think that he's seen as the heir apparent in any way to Sagan and his much more welcoming, poetic, secular mystic outlook on the beauty of the natural world and the scientific method's ability to help us explore & appreciate it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

mysterious frankie posted:

Sagan and his much more welcoming, poetic, secular mystic outlook on the beauty of the natural world and the scientific method's ability to help us explore & appreciate it.
:350:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SolTerrasa posted:

One guy in there swears that the reason he doesn't have a girlfriend is because he has a suboptimal musk. :wtc:

Dude stinks so bad he's aware of it, but women are supposed to like dude-sweat* so obviously his must be defective some other way.

*(evo-psych and :biotruths: is a cult with these people swear to god)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

The world is still waiting for Carl Sagan's heir apparent as the grand poobah of science popularization & apologia. The existence of the internet makes the position all the more vital, as a limiting force on I loving LOVE science. Are we stuck between Tyson and Bill Nye right now? I'd think a more vital qualification than charisma would be a reluctance to spout off outside ones field without consulting the relevant experts to learn the actual consensus, instead of just winging it.

Brian Cox is pretty alright I thought? He even seems to have a decent sense of humour about how goofy and starry-eyed he gets sometimes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Was he always this bad? I seem to remember him being a perfectly fine TV Science Guy a few years ago, did that just go to his head or something?

I think he works better with a script. When allowed to go off the cuff... well, his PhD isn't in communication.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I just liked when he was the pig on Gravity Falls :sigh:
Wait what? Neil deGrasse Tyson is Wattles?

*mind blown*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Wait what? Neil deGrasse Tyson is Wattles?

*mind blown*

He was in one episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIcH2vzGMQ

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarcodex/comments/826dd4/culture_war_roundup_for_the_week_of_march_5_2018/dv8yt3t/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I found Roko's facebook today, he of the Basilisk. It's low-quality MRA memes, and he's FB friends with Emil Kirkegaard. I think we can say for sure that the Basilisk is female, and probably black.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

divabot posted:

I found Roko's facebook today, he of the Basilisk. It's low-quality MRA memes, and he's FB friends with Emil Kirkegaard. I think we can say for sure that the Basilisk is female, and probably black.
Paging Octavia Butler

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I don't get why, "The funniest trope is the black-white criminal team." Maybe I don't have enough experience in criminal teams, but it's always interesting what the mega-racists think is ridiculously snortingly obvious.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Scott is having a nerd boy slap fight with Nathan Robinson

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/972634380521885696

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dmitri-9 posted:

Scott is having a nerd boy slap fight with Nathan Robinson

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/972634380521885696

The most horrifying part of this is that Scott Alexander was cited in the New York Times, which means he's dangerously close to being a mainstream pundit in a Moderate Conservative position

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/drvox/status/972915124032888832

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/972233017136738309?s=19

scott's name is on the lips of even the top dogs of neoliberal science

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That opener is really not making me want to click through to read the other 80 tweets

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That opener is really not making me want to click through to read the other 80 tweets

It’s actually not a bad thread, even if it isn’t saying much that’s new.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the opening is lovely, but the gist is "the NYT claims to be exposing its viewers to the right wing, but the right wing voices it hires are dismal liberal-friendly caricatures, and the real right wing is ravening grievance politics"

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
a beautiful reply from nathan j. robinson to scott after scott responded to previous article by nthan about david brooks NYT turd

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/on-being-fair-to-social-justice-activists

i think we are beyond expecting intellectual honesty from scott, he's never going to own up to how uncharitable and biased his blog is

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wait did David Brooks do something especially egregious, or did everyone just remember that he exists and gets paid to write words?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Goon Danton posted:

Wait did David Brooks do something especially egregious, or did everyone just remember that he exists and gets paid to write words?

Bari Weiss is the current focal point, but the NYT has been going out of it's way to discredit itself for these past few months

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Goon Danton posted:

He quoted Scott Alexander as a source

and not even one of the less offensive Scott pieces that seems relatively reasonable if you don't have the context of his other blogposts

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love seeing somebody give Scott the business but I hate seeing him treated as somebody it's worth taking the time to rebut.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I remember when Scott started his blog way back its big thing was going to be that it would apply the principle of charity to everything.

Turned out it only meant applying the principle of charity to right-wing shitlords.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The most horrifying part of this is that Scott Alexander was cited in the New York Times, which means he's dangerously close to being a mainstream pundit in a Moderate Conservative position

His secret dream, within reach at last.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/BLACKMESSlAH/status/973792918757629953

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh no thanks to this I found out Steven Hawking died from Matt Forney :sigh:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
by the way, the author of Neoreaction a Basilisk is now Elizabeth Sandifer

(in case you were wondering about that dedication in the book version)

books to be reissued under the new name in coming weeks, except Guided by the Beauty of their Weapons, which will be deleted and its component essays parceled out between other books. (GRAB A COPY NOW IF YOU WANT ONE)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well, Sandifer's obnoxious pseudo-profound bullshit writing style hasn't changed at all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well, Sandifer's obnoxious pseudo-profound bullshit writing style hasn't changed at all.

That's a pretty hot take, but after reading Guided by the Beauty of Their Weapons... I kind of agree? I actually really liked the parts where she critically analyzes old video games, and parts of the Vox Day interview were rather revealing, but I really could have done without the self-indulgent Alan Moore-style mysticism. And in some ways the Day interview was misleading, because Day was putting on a much less crazy face than he usually does (though the mask slipped in places).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is 100% the time to get in a cheap shot at someone and not at all in poor taste when you literally could have like, waited for her to come up again in two weeks and said it then and not come across as an rear end.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Congrats to her! I am now less surprised that the TERF chapter of NieRoaction: Atomalisk was good-for-a-cis-person.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is 100% the time to get in a cheap shot at someone and not at all in poor taste when you literally could have like, waited for her to come up again in two weeks and said it then and not come across as an rear end.

The wasp factory is not scifi.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

As a huge fan of the pseudomystical Alan Moore stuff and general smugness I wish her well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

That's a pretty hot take, but after reading Guided by the Beauty of Their Weapons... I kind of agree? I actually really liked the parts where she critically analyzes old video games, and parts of the Vox Day interview were rather revealing, but I really could have done without the self-indulgent Alan Moore-style mysticism. And in some ways the Day interview was misleading, because Day was putting on a much less crazy face than he usually does (though the mask slipped in places).

But the self-indulgent mysticism is why people like Moore. At least that's why I do. Whatever the case i'm glad to have been introduced to this author even if it was via the medium of disapproval.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

divabot posted:

except Guided by the Beauty of their Weapons, which will be deleted and its component essays parceled out between other books. (GRAB A COPY NOW IF YOU WANT ONE)
That sounds like a good idea because as it is the book goes all over the place, and that makes it a bit hard to recommend. I've personnaly liked the opening chapters on the Rabid Puppies, and the interview with Vox Day ; I've skimmed through most of the other pop culture analysis (depending on wether or not I've read the book or watched the show in question). But the last quarter of the book (on Doctor Who and occultism) went completely over my head.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't care about allegorical poetry at all so the last bit of Neoreaction A Basilisk was lost on me, but the rest is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
RokoCoin. You've seen it, you can't unsee it.