Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radical x-ist, x-wing, x-ist, center-x, centrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

FAUXTON posted:

Radical x-ist, x-wing, x-ist, center-x, centrist.

The new Star Wars movie has really gone nuts with its spaceship names.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Mister Macys posted:

That's family leave, not maternity leave. :rolleyes:

I assume that could include such events as weddings, funerals, *cough*custody proceedings*cough*, as well as giving birth.

(to be honest, the first thing I asked before I read the twitter was, "The one on the left, or the one on the right?" :haw: )

FYI what Bernie's quote sounds like is simply making FMLA paid (and for everyone, rather than based on the size of the company or if it is a government job) rather than unpaid. FMLA would not include such things. FMLA is for:

(source http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/)

quote:

The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:
Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the servicemember’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).

Basically, if you or your family have a health issue or you/spouse have a kid (or adopt one).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
O'Malley's police reform, from what I understand, focused on broken-windows policing combined with aggressively manipulating statistics to create the appearance of crime reduction without the hard work of actually reducing crime.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

thegodofchuck posted:

FYI what Bernie's quote sounds like is simply making FMLA paid (and for everyone, rather than based on the size of the company or if it is a government job) rather than unpaid. FMLA would not include such things. FMLA is for:

(source http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/)

Basically, if you or your family have a health issue or you/spouse have a kid (or adopt one).

As a cynical Canadian, I didn't think you had such an act on the books in the first place, so I included what I'd stick in one myself (among other things). :shrug:
Still a good thing to get behind, for what it's worth.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aliquid posted:

279 people isn't a very large sample size

For registered Democrats in New Hampshire, it may be fairly representative; if memory serves New Hampshire voters are among those who fetishize Independent status, so there may not be as many actual party members as you might expect.

I have no idea where to begin trying to verify that statement, mind you.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

Finishing in third place in Iowa is hardly a campaign deathblow as has been demonstrated several times in the recent past. Dukakis and Bush Sr came in third. McCain and Clinton came in forth, with Clinton only getting 3% (against an Iowa native, granted).

It has less to do with place and more to do with expectations. In all of the races you mention, there were favorite sons or candidates from nearby states expected to easily win (Dole, Gephardt, Harkin, etc.) so a third or fourth place wasn't outside of expectations. Conversely for Dean, there was no favorite doing well and he had put a lot of money and time in campaigning in Iowa, so a poor third was well below expectations.

Remember that Bill Clinton was considered the front runner by the media following coming in second in the 1992 New Hampshire primary.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Eschers Basement posted:

It has less to do with place and more to do with expectations. In all of the races you mention, there were favorite sons or candidates from nearby states expected to easily win (Dole, Gephardt, Harkin, etc.) so a third or fourth place wasn't outside of expectations. Conversely for Dean, there was no favorite doing well and he had put a lot of money and time in campaigning in Iowa, so a poor third was well below expectations.

Remember that Bill Clinton was considered the front runner by the media following coming in second in the 1992 New Hampshire primary.

Also, Dean had been leading in the polls nationally right up until then, had a huge amount of hype behind his campaign (dark horse candidate comes out of nowhere to lead the polls), and had built a huge war chest with the first serious attempt at online fundraising, so there were very high expectations going into Iowa. Getting beaten badly be Kerry, of all people, who seemed like the establishment pick from the beginning, was pretty rough on a lot of supporters who started bleeding off to support Edwards instead.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You should be cautious of any single poll result. You should be especially cautious if it's a wild outlier from an unrecognized firm that does online polling. That said, the sample size is strictly tied to the MoE. They're reporting a MoE of 6% on a sample size of 279, which is about accurate for a base population size of 287557, which is the number of voters in the 2008 Democratic primary in New Hampshire, assuming a 95% confidence level.

My advice: throw it in the average, but don't expect that poll's results to be repeated.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It wouldn't be weird for Bernie to do well in NH, a state that adjoins and is (despite their political differences) demographically identical to his home, where he enjoys more name-recognition than normal and can more reasily put people in the field.

Get excited if he polls well in South Carolina or Nevada. Farther-flung, more populous, more diverse states that more accurately represent the democratic base.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Chantilly Say posted:

O'Malley's police reform, from what I understand, focused on broken-windows policing combined with aggressively manipulating statistics to create the appearance of crime reduction without the hard work of actually reducing crime.

Crime rate went down as potato production in Honduras increased, so I don't see how importing tons of Honduran potatos isn't criminal justice reform.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hasn't stopped being funny yet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Does O'Malley have a chicken farm to which he gave Drudge a key or something? This fawning is getting creepy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

FAUXTON posted:

Does O'Malley have a chicken farm to which he gave Drudge a key or something? This fawning is getting creepy.

Reminder the Right told people to vote for Hillary in '08,

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do Vermont and New Hampshire overlap much in terms of TV and radio markets?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

whydirt posted:

Northern New Hampshire shares some of the same market and will get broadcasts from Burlington, but the big population centers in NH are in the Boston media market.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:pusheen:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

whydirt posted:

Technically, I think Manchester is in the Boston TV market and Vermont is in one with part of Upstate NY.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

Depends on where in the state you are. I'd say as a whole VT tends to overlap with New York more than it does with New Hampshire. Though in the southern part of the state you can get radio/TV out of Manchester and Concord.

e;fb

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The fact that it's the "Dover Thrift Edition" is just icing on the cake. Yeah, it's a Scarlet Letter...for the poor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
*looks in FEC regulations*

Welp, looks like there's nothing in here that says you can't advertise with graffiti. Also, no rules about dogs playing basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0OBXCgwds

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tomorrow at 11am: Let's MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN (pre-announcement video).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

New Republic has a solid read on New Hillary, Being Hillary as She Really Was

As I noted the other day, I really like the decision they've made to make her more humble and approachable, and frankly, more honest.

Joementum posted:

He's so loving stupid.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Oh god please let it be true!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4297314172001

Donald "The Donald" Trump dropping some hints to some tremendous morons.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Joementum posted:

Trump 2016: Because you can fool some of the people all of the time.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Donald Trump feels like one of those rare circumstances where not even being able to pay your own campaign fees can make up for a complete lack of charisma.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Joementum posted:

Welp, looks like there's nothing in here that says you can't advertise with graffiti. Also, no rules about dogs playing basketball.

This is the worst graffiti I've seen in a long time. And this is counting the stupid stuff I see on the side of the bridge on the way to work.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

New Republic has a solid read on New Hillary, Being Hillary as She Really Was
As I noted the other day, I really like the decision they've made to make her more humble and approachable, and frankly, more honest.
Everything I've been reading about her the last couple of days has really been to the point and has made the idea of supporting her a lot easier for sure. I'm glad she has finally started talking about things that make me want her to win because I want her to win, instead of because I want the other guy to lose.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 15, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Looks like a new opportunity of employment for art students.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder the Right told people to vote for Hillary in '08,

I guess that's in keeping with their spectrum of prejudices - White Man > White Woman > Black Man

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

And they said we couldn't top 2012

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Trump doesn't even have the attention span to run a Presidential campaign--he'll get bored with it in a couple of weeks. It'll be like a new toy.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

Trump doesn't even have the attention span to run a Presidential campaign--he'll get bored with it in a couple of weeks. It'll be like a new toy.

He just needs to make it to a debate and I will be forever happy

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

He won't even make it to the first loving debate, that thin-skinned, lightweight piece of gold foil-wrapped trash. I can't even get excited about this because he's just going to throw another disappointment on the huge pile he's got in his Scrooge McDuck bin instead of money. Idiot.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The best part is that instead of spending that money on charity, he uses it for frivolous political campaigns that make him look like an idiot each time. He's one of the least charitable billionaires in the country, from what I've heard.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

With all of his shameless loudmouthed self-promotion, I can't say that is the least bit surprising.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

I'm sad that I'll be traveling at that time tomorrow and won't be able to watch his announcement live. :smith:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm sad that I'll be traveling at that time tomorrow and won't be able to watch his announcement live. :smith:

"You know, hope is a mistake." - Max Rockatansky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Does Trump have anything particular to shill, or is this just the ultimate in ego-stroking vanity runs? I don't see him being on the ground schmoozing it up with the proles the way other candidates do in the primaries, and at this point the debates are far away enough I see him taking his ball and going home way before he has to actually defend or stand for anything in more than 140 characters.

• Locked thread