Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Leinadi posted:

Also, interestingly enough, NMA was pretty much the only site on the internet that actually wrote a Fallout 3 preview worth a drat back in the day (and no, it actually wasn't all negative either!).
The NMA review of Fallout 3 was also pretty decent. They mentioned all the criticisms that have been thrown around in this thread and didn't think it was a great Fallout game, but said it was a fun game nonetheless and the best Elder Scrolls in many years. The review also had some dumb Todd Howard quotes (which may or may not be real, but it is Todd Howard so they probably are) juxtaposed with stuff Tim Cain said about the themes he wanted to explore with the first game. Their New Vegas review was basically "well this engine still sucks but the game is excellent."

Anyways, I'll get Fallout 4 and play it for 50-75 hours while complaining about everything in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Witcher 3 is good but the gameplay is complete poo poo and every quest is "press WITCHER mode and follow blood trail" Kinda prefer exploding heads in vats.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I mean NMA staff are not the NMA forums. The forums really, really hated on fallout 3, especially pre-launch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sarmhan posted:

I mean NMA staff are not the NMA forums. The forums really, really hated on fallout 3, especially pre-launch.

Yes thats a distinction we really need to make. The staff are quite level headed overall but the forum has a lot of wackos who won't accept anything non-isometric.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

controversial opinion : fallout 3 was a good game which i enjoyed

skyrim too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
should i play fallout 3, new vegas, or skyrim while i wait for fo4

you decide my fate

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA

Doc Morbid posted:

Anyways, I'll get Fallout 4 and play it for 50-75 hours while complaining about everything in it.

I think you forgot another '0' on those numbers

or I just have problems

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Eonwe posted:

you decide my fate

Attempt to play all of them at the same time.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Psychotron posted:

or I just have problems

Yes hello are you me?

I may have something like 1200 hours between FO3 and NV.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Crabtree posted:

Get one of those things that sends your keystrokes to all of them simultaneously. Try to finish all three campaigns at the same time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree posted:

i only have two monitors, friend

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i only have two monitors, friend
That's why god invented windowed mode

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yes hello are you me?

I may have something like 1200 hours between FO3 and NV.

FO3 10 hours, NV 1250 hours.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Psychotron posted:

or I just have problems
I have 30 hours played on FO3 (plus 20 or so on the xbox version I played at launch) and 75 hours on Skyrim, so I was just going by my own experience. I do have 261 hours played on New Vegas, though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1250 hours on FNV, ~300 (predated having it on Steam) on FO3

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Eonwe posted:

you decide my fate

Mod the gently caress out of New Vegas imo

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

you decide my fate

Tale of Two Wastelands is the only proper answer to that question.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dumbass Forbes' posted:

When Fallout 3 debuted, the gaming pubic had never seen anything quite like it, both from the perspective of the series itself, and really, from the overall sandbox exploration/shooter genre.
Uhhh, Morrowind? Oblivion?

Putting GUNS in your lovely Oblivion doesn't make a revolution,

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhhh, Morrowind? Oblivion?

Putting GUNS in your lovely Oblivion doesn't make a revolution,

There was already deus ex with its shooter rpg elements and there was bioshock with better graphics. Both of which had better gunplay then fallout 3.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Fallout and elderscrolls games all have fine stories for open world games . (which are all worse stories than linear games, which are all worse than non-game story telling).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fallout and elderscrolls games all have fine stories for open world games . (which are all worse stories than linear games, which are all worse than non-game story telling).

Fallout 1 and 2 had perfectly fine stories. Elder Scrolls games up to and including Morrowind had pretty good stories. But the stories are getting progressively shittier, that's the problem.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 had perfectly fine stories. Elder Scrolls games up to and including Morrowind had pretty good stories. But the stories are getting progressively shittier, that's the problem.

Oblivion was the first elder scrolls I actually beat from starting with daggerfall. I thought it was lame how you could just run to the end of all the oblivion dungeons, but the monsters were unkillable.

I only beat oblivion once, you have to do like 20 of those drat portals its loving annoying.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

hemale in pain posted:

controversial opinion : fallout 3 was a good game which i enjoyed

skyrim too

That's not a controversial opinion. The banter in this thread is pretty normal for pre-release of any big game and you shouldn't read much into it.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

As far as major studios go, is Bethesda the worst at making decent character model and facial animation?

Half-Life 2 came out 11 years ago this month, and it shouldn't be acceptable that the animation looks so much better than Fallout 4:

I was thinking the same thing, maybe HL2 was ahead of its time with its facial animation, but it came out so long ago.

I give Bethesda somewhat of a pass on graphics since generally open world games don't have great graphics (although GTA 5 did). The animation should be better, that just seems to be Bethesda standard though. I'm still looking forward to Fallout 4, and I'm sure I'll have fun playing it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AlternateAccount posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 had perfectly fine stories.

They really didn't, they had perfectly fine PREMISES but then the actual story of the actual gameplay parts were a bunch of movie scene ripoffs and a bunch of wacky monkey cheese nonsense.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

We're a minority.

We're SPECIAL.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I saw a blurry video and I didn't like what I saw I am CANCELLING my pre-order and I am going to talk about this for PAGES

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bholder posted:

Can we put some manner of disclaimer saying anyone bringing up Gamebryo have no loving idea what they are talking about?

Anyone who rags on Bethesda for using Gamebryo still really is just a blind hater. Sorry, nerdlords, but Bethesda renamed their version of Gamebryo to Creation so none of the problems with the engine matter anymore. :smugdog:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

There was already deus ex with its shooter rpg elements and there was bioshock with better graphics. Both of which had better gunplay then fallout 3.

its not a fps its a rpg with guns where you miss not because you missed but because you didnt put enough points in guns

if you want good gunplay you can just keep playing battlefield or whatever

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Goatfather posted:

its not a fps its a rpg with guns where you miss not because you missed but because you didnt put enough points in guns

if you want good gunplay you can just keep playing battlefield or whatever

Haha yeah man, any of you loser idiot COD kids that want your first person RPG where you shoot guns to have good first person shooter gameplay, well, go back to COD kid. loving wrecked.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Anyone who rags on Bethesda for using Gamebryo still really is just a blind hater. Sorry, nerdlords, but Bethesda renamed their version of Gamebryo to Creation so none of the problems with the engine matter anymore. :smugdog:

Gamebyro is a low level rendering engine and people blame it for gameplay stuff that has nothing to do with it at all. Civilization 4 used gamebryo, it's just a graphics engine.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Gamebyro is a low level rendering engine and people blame it for gameplay stuff that has nothing to do with it at all. Civilization 4 used gamebryo, it's just a graphics engine.

So what is responsible for making everything feel like it's sliding around and mouse responsiveness terrible? Is that an in house Bethesda product?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It is not just a graphics engine.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fish Fry Andy posted:

So what is responsible for making everything feel like it's sliding around and mouse responsiveness terrible? Is that an in house Bethesda product?

actually this is my bad, sorry about that guys

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yes Bethesda's development is what creates the problems with the development of Bethesda games, not the fact that the engine was cursed by a gypsie

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life! (GOTY all Years) is a Gamebyro engine game, so I'm curious to learn what Firaxis did that Bethesda can't.

e: Turns out that it's make a good game on the Gamebryo engine

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Of course, games were never the same since 9-11 and since my parents divorced

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

your parents divorced on 9/11???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The reason Bethesda games feel like Bethesda games is because of Bethesda. hth

• Locked thread