Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're just getting it right so it can be perfect when they launch it on console, for all the real players :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Main Paineframe posted:

Just give it a few days for all the habitual leavers to get banned from competitive

I'm definitely hoping that matches will even out a bit more because of this. Right now solo queue at least feels like a crapshoot, with leavers and lovely "genji only pls" players. I'm hoping time will weed those out a bit more.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Yup, I think they don't read and realize the consequences of their actions. Once they get a few temp-bans from competitive, I'm sure they will learn. Unfortunately, that could also lead to them just sitting in base/roaming around whining the entire time doing their best to not get booted, but also not participate in any meaningful way.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Already saw one guy throw a fit like that, because we weren't grouping around with him, when he got repeatedly killed by the same turret over and over.

Rest of the team was neatly grouped, and he just kept rushing in solo.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Today was the first time that I was reported by a couple of jerks who didn't like that I didn't play the way they wanted me to.
I was the lowest level in competitive, and they pretty much poo poo on me for no reason through the entire game.
Then they flipped the gently caress out when I suggested that they group up with all their (nonexistent) friends instead of solo queuing.
Good times.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yup, I think they don't read and realize the consequences of their actions. Once they get a few temp-bans from competitive, I'm sure they will learn. Unfortunately, that could also lead to them just sitting in base/roaming around whining the entire time doing their best to not get booted, but also not participate in any meaningful way.

People openly say they'll do this on the forums and even did before Comp was a thing. All you can do is report them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

they had a deadline of "release the end of June" that they gave themselves, and by god they made it.

This is why I will never, ever give any poo poo to any developer that meets all questions about schedule with WHEN ITS loving DONE

Another quirk to this whole thing, Taimou just revealed on Seagull's stream that he's only playing max with a two- or three-person group in Comp Mode because if he plays as a 6-stack he gets basically no ranks up. Sounds like if your 6-stack MMR is high, you get basically nothing for a win unless it's against a similarly high 6-stack. Maybe just an issue for people as far above the norm as the pros but it's still a weird dynamic. He turned down the chance to 6-stack with Seagull because of this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

Another quirk to this whole thing, Taimou just revealed on Seagull's stream that he's only playing max with a two- or three-person group in Comp Mode because if he plays as a 6-stack he gets basically no ranks up. Sounds like if your 6-stack MMR is high, you get basically nothing for a win unless it's against a similarly high 6-stack. Maybe just an issue for people as far above the norm as the pros but it's still a weird dynamic. He turned down the chance to 6-stack with Seagull because of this.

that doesn't sound like a quirk so much as not being able to find opposition at a high enough mmr to give a reasonable amount of mmr for winning.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zoness posted:

that doesn't sound like a quirk so much as not being able to find opposition at a high enough mmr to give a reasonable amount of mmr for winning.

Right, he's solo queueing so that his team's average MMR is close to the opposition's team MMR. If he groups up with too many of his regular teammates, the game can't find them a fair opponent.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Oh this is cool, apparently there are facial expressions for the character during certain events:

https://gfycat.com/SadRecklessHeron

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Oh this is cool, apparently there are facial expressions for the character during certain events:

https://gfycat.com/SadRecklessHeron

junkrat just happy to be there

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

junkrat just happy to be there

Junkrat's just happy because something's exploding. Nothing makes Junkrat happier than something exploding, doesn't matter if it's on his team or the enemy's or what.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Papercut posted:

Right, he's solo queueing so that his team's average MMR is close to the opposition's team MMR. If he groups up with too many of his regular teammates, the game can't find them a fair opponent.
Yea this is only a problem for the .1%

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

khy posted:

Junkrat's just happy because something's exploding. Nothing makes Junkrat happier than something exploding, doesn't matter if it's on his team or the enemy's or what.

*searches for Junkrat + 9/11*

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Macaluso posted:

*searches for Junkrat + 9/11*

He had an awkward erection all morning long and couldn't figure out why until he saw the news

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Xbone version just had an update and now I can't connect to any servers so it looks like our competitive mode is about to go live FYI

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Still have a ton of thread to catch up on because its an interesting read, but I can +1 on the curbstomp placement matches. Partially due to teams and partially due to what appears is my lack of playing Overwatch for a few days due to being busy and other neat games purchased in the Steam Sale.

Come back in and queue pub competitive because I am stupid. Get on a team that literally got rolled on a defend in a matter of what seemed like seconds. I died twice and the 2nd death we lost before I got out of my 2nd spawn. Then got disconnected and couldn't reconnect before the ability to rejoin was gone. Grr.

2nd was with goons and while we lasted a bit better, I was playing like crap and overall didn't feel like we had a mesh going yet, and got disconnected right after round 1 but was able to get reconnected and finish the matches. No idea why that was happening as I haven't gotten disconnected ever before the latest patch, though the heat could be having an issue with my routers/isp around here currently so i'll be keeping a closer eye on them the next time I attempt to finish my placement games.

What was weird was for the first game especially, we weren't really outranked by level it seemed, but man the other teams were vastly more organized which has to be that it was a full group vs pubs is my only guess. Outside of when the match is showing the VS screen, is there another visual queue that shows that players are in a group or not?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
If you play with a 6 stack the leavers are always on the other team.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mcvey posted:

If you play with a 6 stack the leavers are always on the other team.

one game we played during our placement had a ragequit, but the other team was a 6-man. i can only imagine how their voice chat got after that

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
pre-patch: fun as gently caress, an occasional whiny bitch but who gives a gently caress it was just casual play with stats recorded

after patch: none of my goon friends come on anymore (they all started playing before me anyway and about half have prestiged), I putter my way through the placement matches, ending up 3-7 despite having some really decent rounds (had 39 eliminations with Winston in the last match, three rounds), get placed at 38, immediately lose three rounds, drop to 37, immediately lose another round. I played WoT and I remember how pubbies were adamant about how their win/loss didn't matter because it was a team game, but goddamn....even when I wait for my team to catch up and we rush a point together, why am I always the last one to survive? :gonk:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I always wind up playing a Tank in competitive so every payload map I've done so far has consisted of me and some random person sitting on the payload while I spam hello and CATCH PHRASE at them, all the while my team obliterates everything up ahead

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Bolow posted:

I always wind up playing a Tank in competitive so every payload map I've done so far has consisted of me and some random person sitting on the payload while I spam hello and CATCH PHRASE at them, all the while my team obliterates everything up ahead

that's another thing. I think there was one payload map during the entire 10 game ranking period. Won that one, hard.

e: actually I take that back there was a Hollywood map on which we couldn't even capture the first point.

nippythefish fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Attestant posted:

Already saw one guy throw a fit like that, because we weren't grouping around with him, when he got repeatedly killed by the same turret over and over.

Rest of the team was neatly grouped, and he just kept rushing in solo.

There's always the one guy who spams "Group up!", waits a good three seconds, and then runs in and dies.

"Where was the team??"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So there's a documented problem on rank adjustment on koth. Is it just when gaining rank or is it happening in both directions?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Last night I played with a Reaper who literally spammed Group up with me! as he teleported onto the top of roofs. This was in the same game where a Hanzo went on a tirade about how the opposing Mei was hacking and was gonna get reported and banned because 'you're not supposed to be able to one shot kill me with your rmb!' Sometimes it is impossible to tell trolling apart from just being a moron. :shrug:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So there's a documented problem on rank adjustment on koth. Is it just when gaining rank or is it happening in both directions?

Both directions, but that means stuff like if you happen to get a couple more KOTH maps than average during placement you'll come out way under where you're supposed to be compared to someone that got all payload.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

NmareBfly posted:

Last night I played with a Reaper who literally spammed Group up with me! as he teleported onto the top of roofs. This was in the same game where a Hanzo went on a tirade about how the opposing Mei was hacking and was gonna get reported and banned because 'you're not supposed to be able to one shot kill me with your rmb!' Sometimes it is impossible to tell trolling apart from just being a moron. :shrug:

just grab his sleeve when he teles

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

both directions. koth just straight up moves your rank meter less, win or lose.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Our little team has been enjoying Competitive a lot, but god that King of the Hill bug is so frustrating. A half-hour game against good compeition giving you 5% of a level sucks so bad. I wish they would just disable them until they fix it.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Both. This was the thing that was apparently happening to me last night and I was too pissed at what I was seeing to notice the pattern, so I logged out to find more constructive things to do and considered putting the game away for a while. I wake up this morning to find "the thing"

Kaplan: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745755424?page=1#post-20

When this happened to me last night I presumed they just wanted to make the grind up the hill that much grindier for wins and reconsidered playing the season. I don't have time for a 10/1 win/loss wash point.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Can someone explain to me as I'm still new how the lucio hold shift to crossfade is supposed to work? Keep it on healing all the time and do a crossfade for speed as needed? Or?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Can someone explain to me as I'm still new how the lucio hold shift to crossfade is supposed to work? Keep it on healing all the time and do a crossfade for speed as needed? Or?

hold shift to crossfade means that it will be healing song by default, and speed song when you hold down shift. letting go of shift goes back to healing.

i prefer the toggle option personally.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like toggle too, especially since I play a lot of double lucio in premades and having to hold down shift for half of the game (since auras dont stack so you want one lucio in each) would suck

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think it's meant to keep the heal on all the time and let you basically use it as a sprint button. My experience has been that it doesn't work or doesn't work how one would naturally expect it to work. I've had many times where hitting shift did nothing or the speed boost stayed up long after releasing it. It may function like a lot of games do sprinting where it stays up until you stop moving. It never seemed consistent about that though. It makes speed boosted wallrunning much more awkward. I stopped using it fairly quickly.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Alleric posted:

Both. This was the thing that was apparently happening to me last night and I was too pissed at what I was seeing to notice the pattern, so I logged out to find more constructive things to do and considered putting the game away for a while. I wake up this morning to find "the thing"

Kaplan: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745755424?page=1#post-20

When this happened to me last night I presumed they just wanted to make the grind up the hill that much grindier for wins and reconsidered playing the season. I don't have time for a 10/1 win/loss wash point.

I hadn't seen that response yet, that's really good to hear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

"Guys wtf? Why leave the objective?" says the Hanzo player who stays at range the whole time :geno:

edit:

:wtf: I just BOUGHT this skin last night you fuckers :argh:

the mistake you made was in not buying mariachi or el blanco reaper instead

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think it's meant to keep the heal on all the time and let you basically use it as a sprint button. My experience has been that it doesn't work or doesn't work how one would naturally expect it to work. I've had many times where hitting shift did nothing or the speed boost stayed up long after releasing it. It may function like a lot of games do sprinting where it stays up until you stop moving. It never seemed consistent about that though. It makes speed boosted wallrunning much more awkward. I stopped using it fairly quickly.

Yeah the option is broken, a very noticeable portion of the time it will stay on speed boost long after you've let go of shift.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its best to use toggle

Manatee Cannon posted:

the mistake you made was in not buying mariachi or el blanco reaper instead

i've been wondering for the longest time what ur av is from

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pesona 5

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

its gonna be good

loving roadhog main menu screens blargh some fat man breathing and wheezing gasping in my ear its like im on the forest moon of endor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So if someone leaves during the assemble team part of a comp match do they still get a "leave"? I hope so, because having to wait 30 seconds for the match to end because of their poo poo is obnoxious.