Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Buy Monster and support Are Lewis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

God don't do that

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Buy V and wait for the mutations to appear.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I run on water and coffee with a mtn dew like 3 times a year when I get a crave.

I don't understand the people who chug nonstop energy drinks.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm pretty sure my blood is 1/3rd Pepsi Max by volume.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I run on water and coffee with a mtn dew like 3 times a year when I get a crave.

I don't understand the people who chug nonstop energy drinks.

Same bro. I had a Mtn Dew the day after Le Mans, probably the first time in a year. But I have coworkers who can't function without at least two Amps per day, it's insane.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's me, I arrive at work at 6 AM and if I don't get a Rockstar, I'm liable to pass out at about 9.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's me, I arrive at work at 6 AM and if I don't get a Rockstar, I'm liable to pass out at about 9.

To wash down your morning snickers?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats Ferrari? Ray Bans? those are nice

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Drinking Ray Bans might be difficult

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ferrari is shell. get drinking.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I was talking to my kart dude, and he told me he names the engines he gives out based on former f1 drivers, more specifically, f1 drivers who he feels should have won a WDC but did not.

So my question is: who the gently caress would Jean Pierre be?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Probably Jean-Pierre Jabouille, who over two seasons ('79-80), won twice and retired 21 times.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Sarti Beltoise if he hadn't been teammates with Stewart at Matra? Probably Jabouille, but he was slower than Arnoux?

Jean-Pierre Jarier has some funny bits in his Wikipedia page:

Wikipedia posted:

At the 1983 Austrian Grand Prix he made many drivers angry because of his blocking tactics as a back marker, displaying his mental age of 10, despite actually begin 36 at the time, thus he was actually 26 years behind his age group. On lap 22, Ferrari driver Patrick Tambay, who had led the race from the start, was held up by Jarier for 2 corners (the Glatsch-kurve and the Bosch-kurve). As he was being held up, Tambay's team-mate Rene Arnoux was able to pass Tambay on the approach to the Texaco-Schikane by boxing Tambay in behind Jarier. This also allowed Brabham driver Nelson Piquet to come from 3rd to 2nd by nipping past Tambay into the second of the two left-handers, which dropped Tambay to 3rd and denied him the lead he had been preparing to re-take from Arnoux. A furious Tambay waved his fist at Jarier when he finally did pass him. BBC commentators Murray Walker and James Hunt were appalled at Jarier's driving, with Hunt saying:

"Jarier really is completely out of order, he really shouldn't be allowed to drive in Grand Prix racing. He's got a mental age of 10 in the first place, and that was an absolutely disgraceful bit of driving for a driver of his experience...the authorities have to crack down on driving like that...he should certainly receive a short suspension, and for being himself, he should receive a permanent suspension."

Even the gentlemanly Walker also made rare scathing comments on Jarier's driving, he said "In all my years as a commentator, but certainly no driver, I have to admit, that was an awful and crass piece of driving by Jarier." At this point in the season, in terms of his Formula One status, Jarier was at the point of no return, and nobody would hire him again, especially after displaying his mental age of 10 by influencing a full race result.

Later life
Following this, Jarier retired from motorsport, but was tempted back to drive in the Porsche Supercup in 1994, when his theoretical mental age was at least 21. This led to several sports car drives, winning the 1998 and 1999 French GT Championships. Jarier introduced himself to a new generation by contributing major stunt work to the film Ronin, directed by John Frankenheimer who also directed the 1966 classic, Grand Prix.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I keep thinking you are 1500quid with that avatar

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I know, I'll have to go back to lurking until I lose another contest in spectacular fashion

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm proud to announce that I've now been promised a steady supply of raceable cast-off tires and received the first set.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm proud to announce that I've now been promised a steady supply of raceable cast-off tires and received the first set.

Congrats on the Motomaster sponsorship

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

You Am I posted:

I find it a little sad that both Danny and Drew are so busy with their own personal projects these days that they can't get together as much as they could back in the Gamespot/Giant Bomb days. I still enjoy the podcasts, but there's only so much Dave Lang I can take.

For me, "so much " Dave Lang is about 10 seconds.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

Probably Jean-Pierre Jabouille, who over two seasons ('79-80), won twice and retired 21 times.

Jabouille is interesting.

1.) He designed and drove the original Renault RS01. I think it's the last time a driver did that.
2.) He has 3 point scoring finishes to his name. A Fourth, and 2 wins. He probably would have won more in 1980 if his car stayed together. He certainly is not a champion though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

I was talking to my kart dude, and he told me he names the engines he gives out based on former f1 drivers, more specifically, f1 drivers who he feels should have won a WDC but did not.

I do this but it's writing stupid poo poo on my engine with a sharpie. This is what's currently on it:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

1500quidporsche posted:

I do this but it's writing stupid poo poo on my engine with a sharpie. This is what's currently on it:

Laughing My Tits & Arse Off?
Le Mans Takes Asians Out?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Man it's nice to know at least one other person has handwriting as bad as mine

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Tough to write legibly with those Tiny Arms.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

td4guy posted:

Laughing My Tits & Arse Off?
Le Mans Takes Asians Out?

He has Kubica arms. So 'laughing my tiny arms off' I guess?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-oil-burn-clampdown-921569/

Was there actually any mileage in this? I thought it was just Reich Bull pissing and moaning about their self-inflicted status as perennial shitlords.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-oil-burn-clampdown-921569/

Was there actually any mileage in this? I thought it was just Reich Bull pissing and moaning about their self-inflicted status as perennial shitlords.

As in, were other teams using oil like fuel? Almost certainly Merc was. Was it effective? Probably.

Oil that can be used as a fuel allows you to effectively have a greater fuel capacity than your competitors, which means you can run your engines at higher power levels. Not that simple because if you run out of oil the engine seizes, but you get the basic idea.

Also means you can run the car lighter in quali because you can use oil as fuel, and a lighter car is obviously faster.

For their next trick; make fuel and engine oil basically the same.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Oh for sure I know the theoretical benefit, but was there any significant gain to be had from doing it I guess was more where I was thinking. All these cars burn oil to some degree, it's the nature of any highly strung ICE. But I'm confused as to the burn efficiency of, say, 99 RON to 0w10 or whatever grade lubricants they use in these engines and how that trade off works with the ultra marginal weight savings provided by motor oil having a slightly lower density. I know that F1 is the ultimate aggregation of marginal gains, but even this one seemed like it was grasping at straws a bit.

I guess the other factor to consider is the additional wear put on the engine by it having to combust a more viscous fuel source with a higher ignition point and whether or not it's worth putting that extra strain on the engine and risking it blowing up later on in the season.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

1500quidporsche posted:

I am honoured. An insult I made about a stranger's disability has been immortalised on his wheelchair. Thank you

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Carth Dookie posted:

As in, were other teams using oil like fuel? Almost certainly Merc was. Was it effective? Probably.

Oil that can be used as a fuel allows you to effectively have a greater fuel capacity than your competitors, which means you can run your engines at higher power levels. Not that simple because if you run out of oil the engine seizes, but you get the basic idea.

Also means you can run the car lighter in quali because you can use oil as fuel, and a lighter car is obviously faster.

For their next trick; make fuel and engine oil basically the same.

Ted was saying on the FP1 coverage that it was probably Ferrari, and not Mercedes, under suspicion of doing this thing. It's probably both of them, but one of the non Merc/Ferrari teams has caught on to it I guess.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Perez is bad.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

Perez is bad.

What a shocking revelation.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

This is great, drivers practicing so they can learn from their mistakes, marshals also making mistakes for practice.

At least none of them got run over by the recovery vehicles.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Give it time. Baku welcomes all.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vettel time on fp1 was on soft?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p056ntmw

loving LOL. Petulant little turd.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Much like the petulant turd refusing to leave my rear end at the moment he's gonna get ejected sooner rather than later. I hope. For both our sakes.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In the spanish transmission they said that Renault already told this fucker to be better. I wouldnt be surprised if they drop him for next year.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

DoctorGonzo posted:

In the spanish transmission they said that Renault already told this fucker to be better. I wouldnt be surprised if they drop him for next year.

He'll be lucky if he lasts that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should fire Stroll and Grosjean, i hate them and they suck.

• Locked thread