Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I don't particularly care about playing it "right now" but I'm touring the series at the moment and it feels like the lore of 3 is probably the most significant in respect to the rest of the series, so that alone makes me think I'm better off not waiting. If any of the other games in the series is better suited for this purpose I'd appreciate the info though. I did 1 and most of 2 already (save corrupted halfway through).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

3 is good enough that I'd recommend just playing it now if you're feeling like it. The first time I played it was on mobile (same version as switch) and I felt like I got way more than the $10 I paid for it.

If you would rather wait for the remake they're working on though, DQ4 and DQ5 are both excellent and both have solid ports on mobile (or DS if you can find the carts). DQ4 has an episodic story structure and a rotating cast of party members, DQ5 follows your hero across their whole life from childhood on and features monster recruiting for your party.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
To me, the Switch DQ3 will not truly be 'definitive' unless it includes everything that was before. I don't like the personality system, but I will gladly live with it if it means the board game comes back as well as all of the bonus dungeons, including the GBA-specific one. I want a version that gets rid of any reason to play the previous. That's how I would define 'Definitive Edition' and that's what I want from this remake.

Edit: Also the monster medal system from the GBA version.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 22, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In addition to bringing back the board games and GBA stuff I hope the 2D HD version adds stuff the other versions didn't have but later games did like the monster taming 5-6 had and maybe another class.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I don't particularly care about playing it "right now" but I'm touring the series at the moment and it feels like the lore of 3 is probably the most significant in respect to the rest of the series, so that alone makes me think I'm better off not waiting. If any of the other games in the series is better suited for this purpose I'd appreciate the info though. I did 1 and most of 2 already (save corrupted halfway through).

Yea 3 is definitely a big touchstone for the series so since you played 1 and most of 2 you might as well wrap up that trilogy.

What helps a lot in this case it that it's one of the more replayable games in the series. If you pick up the upcoming remake you can just mess around with a different party composition.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
3 to me is the epitome of a bland-but-fun classic RPG and it's the most DQiest of the DQ games. I genuinely mean that in a pleasant way. I've been reading LPs of Final Fantasy IV recently and not every game needs drama and conflict and pathos and personality disorders.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

In addition to bringing back the board games and GBA stuff I hope the 2D HD version adds stuff the other versions didn't have but later games did like the monster taming 5-6 had and maybe another class.
I'm just hoping they add some of the physical skills from later games to classes like Warrior and Martial Artist, and make them a bit less of "mindlessly mash A" in every battle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

I'm just hoping they add some of the physical skills from later games to classes like Warrior and Martial Artist, and make them a bit less of "mindlessly mash A" in every battle.

I doubt that they will, but I would very much like them to do so. One of the reasons that I favour casters in most older RPGS is because they actually can do something besides hit things and hit things again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I doubt that they will, but I would very much like them to do so. One of the reasons that I favour casters in most older RPGS is because they actually can do something besides hit things and hit things again.

I liked the martial artist in dq3. Thought how the crit chance scaled with level was a neat way to distinguish it from the other smashy class.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm just going to need something different to justify paying $60 for a remake of a game I already own. If I wanted an uglier version of my GBC cart with a new translation, I'd buy the mobile port that's already on Switch for like $10.

Honestly, the announcement of the DQ3 remake was kind of a disappointment. I'd been hoping that if they decided to remake 3, they'd do it in 9's style, with visible equipment and skill trees for all the classes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What's cool about DQ3 is it feels to me like a game that really rewards adventuring and exploring, which is rare in the JRPG genre.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's me, the person who doesn't think pachisi really added anything to the game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's me, the person who doesn't think pachisi really added anything to the game
:same:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh hey! You can now patch Party Talk into DQ4DS US!

https://github.com/concreted/dqiv-nds-en-script-patcher

It uses the JP ROM as a base because all the PT control was entirely gutted from the US/EU version, and because JP doesn't properly support genders it also gender neutralizes the entire thing. It's an interesting approach to doing things, if I'm reading the readme correctly.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 23, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeeeeeeeesssssssss.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Commander Keene posted:

Would be nice, at that point they might as well add battlemaster and an item to unlock it to give you a melee advanced class counterpart to sage too. All it'd need to do is be a soldier with higher agility and Fighter crit rates tbh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Having Gladiator in the game as a counterpart to Sage would be pretty nifty, yeah.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh hey! You can now patch Party Talk into DQ4DS US!

This is cool, but am I the only one who uses party chat once or twice then forgets it exists for the rest of the game?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You’re probably not the only one but I definitely fall pretty firmly into the category of “obsessively mash chat button to see party reactions to every NPC” because yeah, depending on the game like 3/4 of your party has some to say about everything. Like obviously talking to your kids in V when going back to old areas is gonna be much more interesting than Random NPC’s Banal Comment but yeah, IV/V/VI at least usually doesn’t give your party any dialogue post-recruitment.

That said, I have to admit that VII/VIII/XI’s don’t feel quite as nessasary, in the sense that they don’t react nearly as much to stuff but it is the “how do your party feel about these new developments in the story” interface so it’s still nice.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Say what you want about DQ6 DS/mobile, but I loved using party chat after talking to NPC cats. Especially with the girls in the party. :3:

Between 4-6 it was the only one that had any reactions to them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Did the multilingual EU version of DQIV on the DS not have party chat either? I presume not.

I wouldn't be crushed if they got rid of the board game, but I would rather that they kept it. That way people who do like it can enjoy it again, and people who don't like it can just ignore it. My problem with it is that it's hugely random and they made tickets for it some kind of prized, rare resource. Just let us buy a drat ticket and play the silly thing.

If I had to make one, my actual prediction for the DQ3 remake is that it will be just the SFC version with new graphics. I honestly can't see them incorporating the GBC content.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Did the multilingual EU version of DQIV on the DS not have party chat either? I presume not.

I wouldn't be crushed if they got rid of the board game, but I would rather that they kept it. That way people who do like it can enjoy it again, and people who don't like it can just ignore it. My problem with it is that it's hugely random and they made tickets for it some kind of prized, rare resource. Just let us buy a drat ticket and play the silly thing.

If I had to make one, my actual prediction for the DQ3 remake is that it will be just the SFC version with new graphics. I honestly can't see them incorporating the GBC content.

IIRC, the reward for clearing the last Pachisi board in DQ3 SFC was a golden ticket that let you play them an infinite amount of times. Or it came from some late/post game area. Being able to buy tickets would be a big improvement since their rarity just meant you either savescummed until you won, or ended up missing out on rewards varying from ok to amazing. Like the first board had a broad sword as a reward for clearing it and it's reachable when you might be able to afford a broad sword in the shop if you sell everything you own, so it's a big help. Then later boards had some of the best items in the game as prizes.

I think using the golden ticket to run certain boards non-stop was faster for boosting stats than farming seeds but I'm not 100% sure (unless you're abusing save states on an emulator, then it's definitely faster).

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Golden Ticket in DQ3 was the final reward at 100 out of 110 Mini medals. Notably, there are only 9 medals on the tracks themselves so even if you get massively RNG screwed it's always possible to get through the boards eventually. Notably, the best armor in the game, the Light Dress is purchasable on the final board.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think using the golden ticket to run certain boards non-stop was faster for boosting stats than farming seeds but I'm not 100% sure (unless you're abusing save states on an emulator, then it's definitely faster).

I thought the stat changes reverted upon exiting the minigame?

I like the board game, FWIW, and mobile/Switch not having it is definitely a strike against it. I still can't believe they crammed the entire SFC game plus a new collection mechanic and bonus dungeon into the GBC cart, with all monster animations and the board game intact. That might just be my favorite version of 3 for how impressive it is considering the hardware.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ofecks posted:

I thought the stat changes reverted upon exiting the minigame?

I like the board game, FWIW, and mobile/Switch not having it is definitely a strike against it. I still can't believe they crammed the entire SFC game plus a new collection mechanic and bonus dungeon into the GBC cart, with all monster animations and the board game intact. That might just be my favorite version of 3 for how impressive it is considering the hardware.

I'd have to fire up the game and check but I'm pretty sure the stat changes from the board are all permanent.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

I was about to contradict you, but you are correct... the GBC game did have Pachisi. It was the mobile version that took it out, and that was the version that's now on Switch. Why they took it out I have no bloody clue; I cannot imagine that it was a space issue.

Unfortunately, DQ3 - GBC is hard on the eyes and is on a tiny handheld that is very outdated. I hope that the Switch remake is as all-inclusive as the GBC one, just easier on the eyes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Thinking about Malroth...

https://twitter.com/mochimochi_ckd/status/1407760383490760706

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The stat changes from the Pachisi Board are permanent and there's even a weird glitch in the GBC version that can cause your character to gain like 50 levels after a single battle but with severely affected stat gains.

Thankfully, endless class changes with the level downs allows you to "fix" stats if it really bothers you that much.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I was about to contradict you, but you are correct... the GBC game did have Pachisi. It was the mobile version that took it out, and that was the version that's now on Switch. Why they took it out I have no bloody clue; I cannot imagine that it was a space issue.

Unfortunately, DQ3 - GBC is hard on the eyes and is on a tiny handheld that is very outdated. I hope that the Switch remake is as all-inclusive as the GBC one, just easier on the eyes.

Iirc the mobile/Switch version of 3 is actually the old flip top phone version so it actually is a matter of space. I mean, they still should have put it back in or remade III if just slapping it back in wasn’t an option, but sigh.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hyper Inferno posted:

Thankfully, endless class changes with the level downs allows you to "fix" stats if it really bothers you that much.
Not if you get it on the Hero!

...yeah ask me how I know

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah, why would you *not* take the Hero into a Pachisi game? It's the ultimate soloing class.

Speaking of, I was watching the streamer NESCardinality do a solo-hero DW3 NES run. I remember trying that myself many years ago but I put it down after a while. Turns out there are some nasty grinding roadblocks because of boss HP regen. Kandar 2 regens 50 per round, Orochi, Boss Troll, and I think Baramos has 100 (!?!). Streamer just grinded all the way to lv 41 to get Lightning (Kazap?) to 2-shot Orochi/Troll.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I’m stuck at Orochi in DW3 NES because I have the hero, a sage and two priests/wizards, and none of their offensive spells seem to land. If I use the bikill spell to raise the hero’s attack I can deal about 140 damage per turn but I still get wiped out before I can kill it.

Should I make one of the wizards a soldier just so I have another physical attacker?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I’m stuck at Orochi in DW3 NES because I have the hero, a sage and two priests/wizards, and none of their offensive spells seem to land. If I use the bikill spell to raise the hero’s attack I can deal about 140 damage per turn but I still get wiped out before I can kill it.

Should I make one of the wizards a soldier just so I have another physical attacker?

Absolutely. You should turn one into a soldier and the other into a goof-off because a goof-off can turn in to a sage at level 20 without needing the book of satori and goof-offs get comically huge luck gains that will have the character at end-game levels of luck even after class changing. Grab some poison moth powder to use on metal slimes* in the tower north of dhama and you should be able to get the class changed character(s) back to around level 20 and ready for orochi-smashing. Grab a zombie slasher for your hero too if you didn't (or a dragon killer if you got to the castle town with those but that's uncommon to do before orochi).

If you didn't know: Most DQ3 bosses regenerate HP (no the game never tells you this or how much) and IIRC, Orochi has a low total HP but their regen is something like 100-150 hp a round so your hero's going to be going at it for a long time, if not forever, by themselves.

* unless this is a DQ3 SFC-only trick. Spider Webs work on metal slimes/babbles in the NES version if nothing else, and the poison need will *never* miss a metal enemy in addition to its chance of an instant kill.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah that's probably a good idea. Soldiers also make good front-line tanks since they can equip heavy armor and have very high HP growth. The fighter (monk) is a cool class, since they're super-fast and they crit a lot, but in the original NES/FC version their equipment is very limited so they're really squishy.

As far as offensive spells not working, I'm pretty sure Orochi is heavily resistant to (or just downright immune to) fire-based magic. Blazemore, Firebane, Boom, etc. Try the ice spells. Snowblast, IceSpears, Snowstorm. Every monster in the game has its own resistance values to various things, and there's nowhere in-game or in the included materials back in the day (the maps/charts/strategy guide) to indicate this. Check GameFAQs or the DQ Wiki for this info.

I want to say the ideal casual-play party is Hero, Soldier, Pilgrim, Sage. Or Hr, Sr, Sg, Sg if you're willing to level a Goof-off to 20.

e:fb on a few things lol

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gameplay wise, there's no reason to play DQ Builders 1 before 2, right? 2 is just better and has QoL changes? How's the co-op aspect?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Absolutely. You should turn one into a soldier and the other into a goof-off because a goof-off can turn in to a sage at level 20 without needing the book of satori and goof-offs get comically huge luck gains that will have the character at end-game levels of luck even after class changing. Grab some poison moth powder to use on metal slimes* in the tower north of dhama and you should be able to get the class changed character(s) back to around level 20 and ready for orochi-smashing. Grab a zombie slasher for your hero too if you didn't (or a dragon killer if you got to the castle town with those but that's uncommon to do before orochi).

If you didn't know: Most DQ3 bosses regenerate HP (no the game never tells you this or how much) and IIRC, Orochi has a low total HP but their regen is something like 100-150 hp a round so your hero's going to be going at it for a long time, if not forever, by themselves.

* unless this is a DQ3 SFC-only trick. Spider Webs work on metal slimes/babbles in the NES version if nothing else, and the poison need will *never* miss a metal enemy in addition to its chance of an instant kill.

Is that HP regen true in the remakes too?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gameplay wise, there's no reason to play DQ Builders 1 before 2, right? 2 is just better and has QoL changes? How's the co-op aspect?

Co-op is kind of the same in both games, in that you can't do the main story in co-op so it's kind of pointless. DQB 2 is better in every way BUT the DQ1 nostalgia in the first game is very, very cool. Can't really recommend it for anything other than that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Co-op is kind of the same in both games, in that you can't do the main story in co-op so it's kind of pointless. DQB 2 is better in every way BUT the DQ1 nostalgia in the first game is very, very cool. Can't really recommend it for anything other than that.

Man how is it all of the teams that make DQ spin-offs are so bad at this? DQ Heroes 2 had co-op and it was similarly bad (if not worse).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The protagonist of the first builder is the best in DQ history. They are still silent but still talk mad poo poo to the npcs constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
In protest of the lovely castle the NPC's built on my Island, I built Hargon's Castle just across the road from it, they can all sit in their lovely castle and be jealous of the better one they aren't allowed to live in.