Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Heads-up for Quake players, new version of QuakeSpasm released. Changelist @ http://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/news/2014/10/quakespasm-0900/

Performance improvements etc. The other things that jumped out at me:
  • Vertical auto-aim now disabled by default.
  • Music is now played back "CD quality" by default, even if you're using the original/default sndspeed for sound effects. More cvars available for independently controlling the sampling/filtering/mixing of music and SFX.
  • Support for the bsp2 map format. (As used in Something Wicked This Way Comes and Rubicon Rumble Pack.
  • Better support for on-the-fly switching between mods.
  • Optional FSAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Jesus, the Aliens TC for Doom is still fun and still really scary at times. Maps are kinda poo poo but it throws you into dark places with xenomorphs and really tenses you up.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Zeether posted:

Jesus, the Aliens TC for Doom is still fun and still really scary at times. Maps are kinda poo poo but it throws you into dark places with xenomorphs and really tenses you up.

Has anyone made any Zdoom Alien conversions?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's Alien Trilogy, which isn't actually a Doom engine game, but is close enough that I think it counts.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dsmif posted:

Has anyone made any Zdoom Alien conversions?

There's that Colonial Marines one.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

There's Alien Trilogy, which isn't actually a Doom engine game, but is close enough that I think it counts.
Alien Trilogy is good, but if you want to have it work in Dosbox you gotta tweak the CPU cycles else you get stupidly fast xenomorphs and facehuggers :gonk:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

catlord posted:

There's that Colonial Marines one.

I remember trying that one briefly but I found the use of the vanilla Doom action functions and default HUD to be completely unacceptable. You have all the power of ZDoom and you make what amounts to a Dehacked patch? :frogout:

And since we've been talking about Wolfenstein/ECWolf a lot recently, how many people here have played my "tech demo" (Jesus Christ, what an unfortunate name for what was a full 10-level episode, I probably drove off half my potential audience right there), or its expansion Return to Totenhaus? I always thought those were my best released work (I think Operation Serpent is better but I can't release that yet because the soundtrack is unfinished and that's not in my hands), and greatly improved on Wolfenstein's extremely limited depth, but I was frustrated by how little attention it got compared to Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3, which was yet another remake of the original level set more elaborate maps, a few graphical bells and whistles and a slicker, Laz Rojasian art style.

I mean I guess WS3's the reworking of the original game's maps made the purists happy, but to me it's rather pedestrian compared to basically throwing out the entire Wolf3D rulebook and creating a whole new gameplay system.

(OK, the initial version had a rather bad implementation of active sounds that made it sound like you were being attacked by Nazi Daggerfall guards, but that got fixed with the 1.2 update and Return to Totenhaus)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Woolie Wool posted:

What does the 32x version have over the Genesis version?

It requires a 32X, which should be the biggest strike against it.

They're both just novelty ports, really, but the vanilla MD port is more interesting to me because I don't think anyone thought the stock MD would be able to handle a game like Wolf as well as it does.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

And since we've been talking about Wolfenstein/ECWolf a lot recently, how many people here have played my "tech demo" (Jesus Christ, what an unfortunate name for what was a full 10-level episode, I probably drove off half my potential audience right there), or its expansion Return to Totenhaus? I always thought those were my best released work (I think Operation Serpent is better but I can't release that yet because the soundtrack is unfinished and that's not in my hands), and greatly improved on Wolfenstein's extremely limited depth, but I was frustrated by how little attention it got compared to Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3, which was yet another remake of the original level set more elaborate maps, a few graphical bells and whistles and a slicker, Laz Rojasian art style.

I played it, I don't think I ever put in much time to it. I will often get absolutely murdered by the first MP-40 guys in the very first map because they ambush me as I'm going through hallways with vines in them and the new gun you get just before (maybe? It's been a while) is the slow firing rifle and I get ripped apart during the first reload. Or at least that's my big memory of it.

It looks nice and slick though, me being bad at it isn't a knock against it at all.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The SS guys take two rifle hits to kill so you have to be more strategic about killing them. You have to fight a bit strategically and draw them around a bit to kill them with the K98k. Once you get the MP40 you'll have a much easier time fighting them (though the MP40 is not strictly better than the K98k at all, the K98k has an effectively infinite range and no damage dropoff, which makes it extremely useful all the way through). You have quite a bit of warning that they're coming so you have time to stake out a position to start fighting them, but don't try to stand your ground with the K98k, move back and try to break line of sight while you chamber another round. It's tricky but definitely doable. Certainly less of a pain than the Kommandos with the MG42s in later levels, or the FG42-wielding Fallschirmjaegers in Return to Totenhaus.

The SS can carry rifles and the Wehrmacht guys can carry MP40s, and there are even SS with pistols, so SS aren't so much a single enemy type as a faster, tougher, quicker-reacting version of the ordinary Nazis, like in Wolfenstein 2009.

E: It's definitely hard as hell on Death Incarnate though. Don't be afraid to turn the difficulty down, the curve is very steep and you will find the game much, much easier as you drop the skill level.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 22, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kins posted:

Korea found a way to make Brutal Doom brutaller and Terminus made a video and for some reason didn't link it here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDfgal_rRo

I really like the punch punch uppercut combo that the fists have in that video. Also am I nuts or do the monsters have special animations for being cut by the sword?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCG1yJ0iOI

yours for a mere $6000

Linguica fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 22, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
He used the Quake 2 guns :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like after some time in certification hell, the Vita port of Duke 3D Megaton Edition is finally nigh - the trophies are in the database.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Elliotw2 posted:

He used the Quake 2 guns :(

And for some reason opted to use the health indicator from Splatterhouse.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If I wanted a Doom-inspired art masterwork, I'd rather print and frame this:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46911

So someone released "Ultimate Doom II" which is a remake of sorts of D2's mapset. The HEll on Earth scenario is pretty much my favorite Doom setup, so I was pretty interested in this until I got to map02. 266 enemies on Hurt Me Plenty. :wtc: it's like Hellbound all over again :gonk:

I do like the level design though. It's that sweet spot between having callbacks to the originals while still being visually unique and new without going overboard with detail.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Looks like after some time in certification hell, the Vita port of Duke 3D Megaton Edition is finally nigh - the trophies are in the database.

Missed opportunity not having a platinum trophy named "Hail to the King"

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46911

So someone released "Ultimate Doom II" which is a remake of sorts of D2's mapset. The HEll on Earth scenario is pretty much my favorite Doom setup, so I was pretty interested in this until I got to map02. 266 enemies on Hurt Me Plenty. :wtc: it's like Hellbound all over again :gonk:

I do like the level design though. It's that sweet spot between having callbacks to the originals while still being visually unique and new without going overboard with detail.

Yeah, first couple levels are a pretty miserable slog. I sure do love fighting a hundred zombies with a pistol and no health pickups

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

266 enemies on Hurt Me Plenty. :wtc:

Sounds like a Sunday morning stroll to me.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

266 enemies, and they're all zombiemen.

...okay, fine, I actually haven't played this mod and totally expect it's a far more varied mixture, but it never fails to amuse me how I can see a map with a relatively low monster count, think "oh, this'll be cake", and find out every monster is a higher-tier enemy. Alternatively, how I can clear out a map, find I'm missing one monster, think "huh, must've missed a zombieman or Lost Soul somewhere", find it, and realize the mapper left a Cyberdemon in there for me to kill in a really disadvantageous position (:gonk:). I was just thinking of how you could do the opposite, inflate the monster count to make a map seem more intimidating than it actually is.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Jia posted:

Yeah, first couple levels are a pretty miserable slog. I sure do love fighting a hundred zombies with a pistol and no health pickups

Getting that first Super Shotgun in level 2 was the worst :catstare:

A baron of hell guards it in a tiny secret U shaped room in the big water filled room, there's barely any room to maneuver and you can't really backtrack, you probably wont have any armor left either

There's another one later but its only guarded by some cacodemons and you have room to dodge. Once you get the SS it's a lot easier, you can line up crowds of enemies and use infighting to conserve ammo. I barely even use my pistol, I've been using the shotgun almost exclusively and I only ran out of shotgun ammo for a few moments before I found a box of shells and some zombie sergeants.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Sounds like a Sunday morning stroll to me.

The maps are big, and you're not being slammed with 100 at once so its a pretty steady stream of enemies aside from the obligatory monster traps. The mapper is a fan of dumping spectres on you with bad lighting and water floors though :smithicide:

Shadow Hog posted:

266 enemies, and they're all zombiemen.

...okay, fine, I actually haven't played this mod and totally expect it's a far more varied mixture, but it never fails to amuse me how I can see a map with a relatively low monster count, think "oh, this'll be cake", and find out every monster is a higher-tier enemy. Alternatively, how I can clear out a map, find I'm missing one monster, think "huh, must've missed a zombieman or Lost Soul somewhere", find it, and realize the mapper left a Cyberdemon in there for me to kill in a really disadvantageous position (:gonk:). I was just thinking of how you could do the opposite, inflate the monster count to make a map seem more intimidating than it actually is.

I just started level 3, but maps 1 and 2 have a pretty good mix of monsters, lots of zombies and imps but enough demons and spectres to make close combat more dangerous. There are lots of segments where you get hit with "only" 15-20 monsters but you have to run through the monsters to get a wall behind your back. There's even a part where you hit a switch and 2 demons drop down out of nowhere and corner you really fast, if you don't have the Super Shotgun you'll get mauled before you can take them out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

I was just thinking of how you could do the opposite, inflate the monster count to make a map seem more intimidating than it actually is.

One of the first maps I made by in the 1990s featured, in the middle of all the bad mapping, a looooong corridor gratuitously filled by a hundred shotgun guys in a neat row, just next to an equally neat row of a hundred barrels.

What I'm saying is place monsters next to barrels, monsters in switch-activated crushers, etc. Make all these monsters die easily without a fight.

Then teleport a dozen arch-viles in and have the player backtrack through the area. :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Putting Archviles in a room with monsters that died from crushing seems needlessly cruel. It'd trigger the ghost monster effect!

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Shadow Hog posted:

Putting Archviles in a room with monsters that died from crushing seems needlessly cruel. It'd trigger the ghost monster effect!
Ah, the good old Doom95 days of having ghost Pain Elementals that fired out ghost Lost Souls. :allears:

:suicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zero Star posted:

Ah, the good old Doom95 days of having ghost Pain Elementals that fired out ghost Lost Souls. :allears:

Dear God, that sounds like...

Hell.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

Why would they shoot ghost lost souls?

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Mak0rz posted:

Why would they shoot ghost lost souls?

Because after a pain elemental eats a lost soul, it becomes a ghost lost soul.

It probably made a lot more sense in 1995. Clueless, Batman Forever, Showgirls, Kids, Hackers, Judge Dredd, and Twelve Monkeys were also released that year.

Think about that for a minute.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 23, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cat Mattress posted:

If I wanted a Doom-inspired art masterwork, I'd rather print and frame this:

I can't find a link at the moment, but didn't Romero's wife commission one of those Chinese knock-off artists to paint a lifelike rendition of a scene from Doom but the artist just recreated the reference screenshot, so now they have a big pixel-y oil painting hanging on their wall?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't find a link at the moment, but didn't Romero's wife commission one of those Chinese knock-off artists to paint a lifelike rendition of a scene from Doom but the artist just recreated the reference screenshot, so now they have a big pixel-y oil painting hanging on their wall?

Really no matter which way that goes, it's awesome.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

http://kotaku.com/5896061/the-best-doom-painting-ever-is-in-john-romeros-house/

hahaha

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh god its hideous :barf:

He used half pixels and half lines!
And the pixels are inconsistent in size!
And the caco's colors are completely blown out! (please tell me kotaku used a lovely camera)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh god its hideous :barf:

He used half pixels and half lines!
And the pixels are inconsistent in size!
And the caco's colors are completely blown out! (please tell me kotaku used a lovely camera)

"Kotaku" and "lovely" go hand in hand, so...

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

And, of course, the game itself is on cheats.

In the other news, this happened:

quote:

3D Realms is back. After a historic 22 years of kicking rear end and not chewing gum, the legendary developer is returning with new talent, new games and a renewed passion for innovative experiences. So, to mark the relaunch of the official 3D Realms website and the release of the 3D Realms Anthology, we’re taking a brief look at the landmark achievements of a developer that went on to define a decade.

https://www.3drealms.com

For next 48 hours 19,99$ nets you 32 games from 3DR's back catalogue, including all Duke games, both Keen trilogies and Wolfenstein 3D, among others. (no Kroz games and other odd titles, which is weird, but to be honest, who misses Xenophage?)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

laserghost posted:

For next 48 hours 19,99$ nets you 32 games from 3DR's back catalogue, including all Duke games, both Keen trilogies and Wolfenstein 3D, among others. (no Kroz games and other odd titles, which is weird, but to be honest, who misses Xenophage?)

Holy poo poo that poster. Biomenace, Monster Bash, Hocus Pocus, fuckin Mystic Towers!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pssh. I think you're all overlooking what's so obviously the most badass game in that list, Word Rescue :colbert:

I'm mildly disappointed, given all the images of a box with a physical CD included, that this collection is DL-only. Even despite owning most of these through GOG, I would totally get a physical box like that for $20-30.

Also, we're sure it's only for the next 48 hours...?

(...and I'm only half-kidding, I recall Word Rescue still being surprisingly fun to play, even as an adult who should otherwise be insulted by its "learn how to read!" motif.)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

laserghost posted:

I don't want to play Alien Carnage, I want to play Halloween Harry. :colbert:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Download only? I was hoping it would be a physical collection. There's like a picture of a box and cd on the website. THAT' S FALSE ADVERTISING!!! :argh:

Pretty badass artwork though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mogomra posted:

I don't want to play Alien Carnage, I want to play Halloween Harry. :colbert:

Same here, man. Same here. I never understood the name change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shadow Hog posted:

Also, we're sure it's only for the next 48 hours...?

Yeah, until Saturday, 5pm, when the price will go double. I think the may take a stab at physical release - the now-empty "merch" category looks teasing.
As far as they go, maybe we will se re-release of those rare Duke3D action figures? The old ones, not the crappy "Forever" one.