Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Excels posted:

Persona Q looks unironically super good. I'll have to bug my brother to get it on 3DS so I can try it.

Trailer for P3 Movie 2 looks neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I--T9HyD1TE

The animation looks even better than the first one.

Just want to point out that most of this trailer is stills or stills with vaguely, cyclically animated parts. It's hard to tell if it will look better than the first for the whole film. Afterall, this is a trailer, and the first movie had enough good animation to make a trailer that made it seem like the level of quality was going to be consistent for the whole movie. Which it wasn't.

That being said Persona Q looks awesome and if I didn't hate my lovely 3DS I would consider buying it when it comes out here in JP. Unfortunately, Region Locking. Thanks nintendo. Doublethanks atlus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you have a 3DS but hate it so much you refuse to buy games for it, why not just sell it? That seems like a weird purchase.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you have a 3DS but hate it so much you refuse to buy games for it, why not just sell it? That seems like a weird purchase.

Bought it in America thinking it wasn't region locked like the DS wasn't before moving to Japan. Can't sell it here because it is region locked. Japan has weird shipping laws that prevent Me from selling it independently on eBay because I can't ship the battery and charger in the same package, on top of it being kind of expensive.

It's a fancy animal crossing one too. But you know, region locking is a bitch.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
The funny thing to me about the one trailer for SMT x Fire Emblem is that it only showed the human protagonists of the SMT games, when the demons are the real stars of the series and pretty integral to how all of them fight.
I kind of think that we may as well assume that the game doesn't exist though.

I am certainly the most excited for PQ more than anything because it is practically EOV. All we know about Persona 5 at this point is that it is about chairs

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Beef Waifu posted:

I'd rather it be Fire Emblem with SMT characters.

I'm sure Aeon Genesis will get the Majin Tensei translation finished any decade now!

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Chairsona 5. All of your personas are sitting furniture. Token support character has a chaise lounge. Obvious Love Interest has a loveseat.

Token prepubescent character has a high chair and everyone is creeped out about it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just finished Persona 4 Golden, and i want more. Does Persona 3 hold up?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P3P will have some of the QOL enhancements and extra Personas from regular Persona 4. It's a similar game, although you now get to both S.Link AND explore the dungeon every day. The designs don't change too much and the music changes slightly in each block. The story is still good, but has a lot less anime hijinks.

You can go for FES on the PS2 or PS3 classics, but you can't select party control, have a 3D world outside dungeons, and get like 4 anime cutscenes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

UberJumper posted:

As someone who played P3P after 4, no it really doesn't.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

UberJumper posted:

Watch the hiimdaisy comic dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lj9qI8VFc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I played it after 4, and in my mind it did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

UberJumper posted:

Since you seemed really attached to the P4 cast, there is a decent chance you will not gel as strongly with the P3 one. Instead of a group of friends, the P3 cast is more of a collection of co-workers who are generally amenable towards each other. The story is more "dark" in P3 but your mileage may vary as to whether you actually like it more or not (for example, I thought it was really goofy and couldn't take it seriously). Regardless of what version you use, you'll still have to deal with some outdated game mechanics such as the inability to choose skills during fusions.

I guess there are a lot of caveats, but across the MegaTen library it's still a decent entry all told. P3P seems to go on sale a lot anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, play as the female protagonist. She gets S. Links with the entire party instead of just the girls, which goes a long way to fleshing them out. And you can actually do the S. Links with the first two party members at the start of the game, instead of one not having an S. Link and one requiring a stat to be high.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just don't do Ken's S.Link if you're going to play as the female protag.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Golden Goat posted:

Just don't do Ken's S.Link if you're going to play as the female protag.

You can do it, just don't romance him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
ignore all of the advice in this thread and play it if you like persona games, they're pretty much the same thing.

FES is better than P3P because you can beat the Reaper easily with the Thunder Reign loop

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Actually, you should absolutely romance ken, so he and akihiko will fight over you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMNt84cq-U

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Actually, you should absolutely romance ken, so he and akihiko will fight over you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMNt84cq-U

also if you assume minako is just kissing him on the cheek and stuff, playing it up for his sake, it's a lot easier to deal with.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can do it, just don't romance him.

Yeah, I was gonna post something like that, too.

Then I remembered that the guy who's asking about playing is the same guy who became Yukiko's lover on accident because in a choice between, "I think of you as a classmate," "I think of you as a good friend," and "I really like you, too," he didn't realize "I really like you, too," was the lovers option. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Excels posted:

also if you assume minako is just kissing him on the cheek and stuff, playing it up for his sake, it's a lot easier to deal with.

No it's not.

P3P's biggest problem post P4 is that the characters just aren't as good. Female protag is better about it than the guy is but it's not enough. Well, some people have serious issues with the presentation as well.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Persona 3 mostly just has issues with writing. There isn't really a plot till later in the game, characters aren't as memorable, and a lot of social links are pretty bad. I think it has an interesting style going for it at least, and I think the boss battles are better here than in 4, but it's been a while. A lot of people will recommend FES, but P3P it's much more fun to actually play.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate the bosses in 3 because they are all giant gimmicks for the most part and tedious ones at that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't mind the gimmick bosses because they're a change in pace from how boring and generic Tartarus gets. Also the music is good.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

P3 gets a million times more bearable in P3P, if only for the fact that you can control your teammates. Sure, that makes it a little bit easy, but its so much nicer than hitting one enemy's weakness and hoping to the gods of chance that your teammates will cycle and hit the rest of the weaknesses and take the chance to heal you instead of just spamming ineffective status effect moves.

Everyone complains about the visual novel stuff with P3P but honestly the cutscenes in FES aren't even that good. Your 3D model just stands there static and will occasionally wave his hand or turn his head. Sometimes people run around. It's really nothing to be missed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

laplace posted:

P3 gets a million times more bearable in P3P, if only for the fact that you can control your teammates. Sure, that makes it a little bit easy, but its so much nicer than hitting one enemy's weakness and hoping to the gods of chance that your teammates will cycle and hit the rest of the weaknesses and take the chance to heal you instead of just spamming ineffective status effect moves.

Everyone complains about the visual novel stuff with P3P but honestly the cutscenes in FES aren't even that good. Your 3D model just stands there static and will occasionally wave his hand or turn his head. Sometimes people run around. It's really nothing to be missed.

Yeah, I played FES, then P4 PS2 a couple years ago; then P3P earlier this year and thought it held up great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think people lament the loss of the 3D overworld, not the cutscenes. The animated cutscenes were legit bad. I thought the way you got around in P3P was fine but it's a sticking point for some. You also lose The Answer but who cares.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it really hurts a few key scenes, and the removal of (admittly poorly animated) 2D cutscenes was kind of dumb. But overall I didn't miss it too much after a few hours.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think people lament the loss of the 3D overworld, not the cutscenes. The animated cutscenes were legit bad. I thought the way you got around in P3P was fine but it's a sticking point for some. You also lose The Answer but who cares.

People complained about the loss of cutscenes because they feel the 3d models are expressive (they are not) and there are seriously people who think the anime cutscenes added to everything. I for one think if P3 had done more with the 3D models like the opening of P3P does, I would've cared a lot more about them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The scene that lost the most luster with the visual novel style was personally the scene after the group's captured at Tartarus. What was meant to be Koro's shining moment is lost.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0inw1WBwqWk
Ken trailer in English

Beef Waifu posted:

People complained about the loss of cutscenes because they feel the 3d models are expressive (they are not) and there are seriously people who think the anime cutscenes added to everything. I for one think if P3 had done more with the 3D models like the opening of P3P does, I would've cared a lot more about them.

Curiously enough, the "Persona 3 for Busy People" series on the Atlus youtube uses the P3P version of events with the anime cutscenes mixed in. They were used in the Persona stream in November, but they were only recently posted.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Beef Waifu posted:

I hate the bosses in 3 because they are all giant gimmicks for the most part and tedious ones at that.

I'd rather have gimmick bosses than giant walls of HP that take foerever to beat.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Krad posted:

I'd rather have gimmick bosses than giant walls of HP that take foerever to beat.

I prefer bosses with multiple gimmicks and heaps of HP because I like it to be as hard as possible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Trading one extreme for another does not make the other selection better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

'Underdogs with a Bone to Pick' is such a perfect title.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Surpise! The only profit Index had in the last six years was fraudulent and former CEO Masami Ochiai has been arrested. Don't underestimate the Japanese police, especially when you're so bad at fraud that your company still goes under after cooking the books. Thank YHVH SEGA is at least mildly more competent than these jokers.

Some guy in the comment thread posted:

"Give me a whole lot of MACCA!"

>Cheat

Ochiai responds with an evasive answer...

...But the enemy sees through his lies!

"Hey, are you trying to cheat me? You don't know how big a mistake you just made! Authorities hate that! Get ready for pain!"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I wonder who Ken's referring to when he says he's getting close to someone. And according to the Shadow's line in the end, it looks like he's still carrying the guilt over Shinji's death.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

I wonder who Ken's referring to when he says he's getting close to someone. And according to the Shadow's line in the end, it looks like he's still carrying the guilt over Shinji's death.

He's getting close to Koromaru. It is the logical next step in Atlus letting you date everyone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PunkBoy posted:

The Shadows aren't real, they are grunts made my the ME to talk poo poo. Don't take anything they say seriously.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
They tend to be fairly insightful anyway, though, at least in the first story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They probably wanted to have the shadow characters from the main game, but at the same time due to story reasons (Personas being tamed shadows)they had to come up with a workaround. Having them made of normal shadows also allowed them to attack other characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGcrLt8vog
Elizabeth Persona Q (watch till the end for a surprise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-dB9u3R2U
Margaret Persona Q

E:

Here is the Persona Q wiki created by Japanese players

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 31, 2014