Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Tipps posted:

As much as I would love to have a hobby farm one day with buffalo and goats and poo poo, it would be hard to imagine living in a place like that again. An alternative is nearby Abbotsford, but I'd get burned at the stake in that bible belt for being :gay:.

Or Pemberton! You're about as far from Vancouver in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm actually amazed that the gap between Melbourne, Darwin, Canberra and Perth is that small.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Why is Darwin more expensive than Melbourne? My impression of Darwin, based only on what I've heard and seen on TV, is it's unbearably hot and humid, the weather tries to kill you at every opportunity, and if it doesn't succeed, then some sort of creature will finish the job, whereas I haven't heard anyone say too much negative about Melbourne.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hobart looks p. good to me, especially since it comes with a moat to keep the rest of Australia away.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The problem with Australia is you need to live with Australians.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

The problem with Australia is you need to live with Australians.

To be honest, the problem with most places is that you have to interact with the people who live there.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

To be honest, the problem with most places is that you have to interact with the people who live there.

You live in Calary right? You seem pretty chummy with the yokels locals

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

New car purchases lift Canada retail sales to record in May. #CAD briefly gains vs #USD; Trading below 77c http://bloom.bg/1MpKo2A @quinngreg

https://twitter.com/BBGCanada/status/624210089931599872

Building that truck equity
loving lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

You live in Calary right? You seem pretty chummy with the yokels locals

How so? I routinely bitch about them, if not always in the thread, then certainly in real life. The average Calgarian is an utter dolt that's unpleasant to interact with, no question.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PT6A posted:

How so? I routinely bitch about them, if not always in the thread, then certainly in real life. The average Calgarian is an utter dolt that's unpleasant to interact with, no question.

You'd say the same thing about any metro area though, although you didn't yet complain about spaniards.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/alberta-ei-rolls-swell-10-in-may-1.3164672?cmp=rss

NEW
Alberta EI rolls swell 10% in May

There were 527,100 people in Canada receiving government jobless benefits in May, an increase largely driven by Alberta.

Statistics Canada reported Thursday that the ranks of employment insurance beneficiaries swelled by 4,800 compared to the previous month, and by 15,400 compared to the same period a year ago.

But if Alberta is stripped out, there were 3,200 fewer people on EI in May than in the same month a year earlier, meaning the national increase was almost entirely driven by Alberta.

Alberta's EI rolls swelled for the seventh consecutive month in May, up by more than 10 per cent to 48,800.

In other provinces, smaller increases were recorded in Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. On the other hand, there were slightly fewer beneficiaries in Ontario and Manitoba.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

You'd say the same thing about any metro area though, although you didn't yet complain about spaniards.

Exactly my point: the problem with most places is you have to deal with the people that live there, whether it's Australia or Canada or anywhere else in the world.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

Home ownership is now mandatory.

Like every two weeks I get a new flyer from her in my mail box. Apparently she rakes in about seven figures every year from churning properties, so she isn't going to stop.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

Building that truck equity
loving lol

Albertans only compound negative equity. I have an appointment to bury another high school dropout in a third 96 month term in 2 years! I love these loving morons!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's like watching crackheads, except smoking crack at least gets you high as gently caress for a while.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Albertans only compound negative equity. I have an appointment to bury another high school dropout in a third 96 month term in 2 years! I love these loving morons!

It's loving amazing the amount of people in university who would go out and finance a brand new car just because the used car mommy and daddy set them up with needed some minor work and they were making a little bit of money. I'm almost certain the same people are now demanding new "luxury" homes instead of just buying something half decent that's older and putting some work into it slowly.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
But guys... Come on. Life obviously isn't worth living without a jacked up short box F-150 to drive around town and get dirty in the mud 2x a year with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mederlock posted:

But guys... Come on. Life obviously isn't worth living without a jacked up short box F-150 to drive around town and get dirty in the mud 2x a year with.

I'm still not clear why it needs to be a brand-new F150, though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PT6A posted:

I'm still not clear why it needs to be a brand-new F150, though.

How else are you going to demonstrate you're a tough guy cowboy unless your truck is absolutely pristine and loaded with convience features.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what kind of man takes pride in a truck that doesn't have heated leather seats, automatically retracting stepping bar, chrome accents on everything, and a cover for the box?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Too big to post but relevant to the thread topic:

quote:

THE OTHER MARKETS
While most of the attention paid to house prices focuses on the big markets of Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, there are other cities in Canada. Real estate reporter Tamsin McMahon looks at six smaller markets across the country that are being affected by changing economic conditions

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, what kind of man takes pride in a truck that doesn't have heated leather seats, automatically retracting stepping bar, chrome accents on everything, and a cover for the box?

Leave my heated leather seats alone! :mad: You try getting into your truck when it's minus 50 without them, your nuts will turn blue before you warm that seat up yourself!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Psh heated leather, the real cats meow now is leather cooled seats

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

1500quidporsche posted:

How else are you going to demonstrate you're a tough guy cowboy unless your truck is absolutely pristine and loaded with convience features.

A guy moved into our building who has a new souped up f-150 with all the features. Our parking spots are from the 1950's and tiny. His tire is a few inches clear of the white lines of his parking spot and it has those big extended mirror things. He has to park like that in order to be able to get out of his door, but now a bunch of us have to do like 50 point turns to get in and out. I wish the landlord was just like "nope, that vehicle doesn't fit". He also never seems to use it, it's always parked there all times of the day, the only time its gone is when he "hauls" a single large gym bag of sports equipment off to sport somewhere on the weekends. Why do you have a huge truck?!

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Baronjutter posted:

A guy moved into our building who has a new souped up f-150 with all the features. Our parking spots are from the 1950's and tiny. His tire is a few inches clear of the white lines of his parking spot and it has those big extended mirror things. He has to park like that in order to be able to get out of his door, but now a bunch of us have to do like 50 point turns to get in and out. I wish the landlord was just like "nope, that vehicle doesn't fit". He also never seems to use it, it's always parked there all times of the day, the only time its gone is when he "hauls" a single large gym bag of sports equipment off to sport somewhere on the weekends. Why do you have a huge truck?!

My neighbour has a late-model BMW M3 and a Toyota Tacoma. He's a single guy in his 30s who works for a telecom doing line stuff. If he makes more than 50k I'll eat my bicycle tires for breakfast.

Anyway, we live in townhouses. He only has room for one vehicle in his driveway, so he parks his truck on the road, which pisses off the old retired neighbours across the road. It was pretty funny watching an old lady yell at him one day for parking his truck outside her townhouse every god drat day.

Who knows how many times he has remortgaged his townhouse to afford his vehicles.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I missed the discussion of this but where did the Canada Politics thread go?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I missed the discussion of this but where did the Canada Politics thread go?

RSF: Election Erection

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorau posted:

Leave my heated leather seats alone! :mad: You try getting into your truck when it's minus 50 without them, your nuts will turn blue before you warm that seat up yourself!

Heated seats are awesome, as are cooled seats (I want those on my next car), but it's not like heated seats are really an expensive or rare option any more. You certainly don't need to have the most recent model year of truck by any means.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Heated seats are great, always buy the winter package for your upcoming truck equity investment.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Heated seats are awesome, as are cooled seats (I want those on my next car), but it's not like heated seats are really an expensive or rare option any more. You certainly don't need to have the most recent model year of truck by any means.

I have those too. They're awesome in the summer but nowhere near as nice as heated seats. I only have trucks for 5 or 6 years before I get a new one, so it's mostly up to date. I usually put 60,000 km or more on my truck a year.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

INVESTMENT CONDO GUIDE
http://victoria.citified.ca/news/stay-small-a-guide-to-buying-an-investment-condo-in-victoria/

Jesus christ who the gently caress is renting a 440 sqft condo in Victoria for $1,175??? That can get you a nice 2br in anything other than a brand new condo tower.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 23, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey prairie white trash, please take your seat chat and gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

INVESTMENT CONDO GUIDE
http://victoria.citified.ca/news/stay-small-a-guide-to-buying-an-investment-condo-in-victoria/

Jesus christ who the gently caress is renting a 440 sqft condo in Victoria for $1,175??? That can get you a nice 2br in anything other than a brand new condo tower.
Luxury

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rick Rickshaw posted:

My neighbour has a late-model BMW M3 and a Toyota Tacoma. He's a single guy in his 30s who works for a telecom doing line stuff. If he makes more than 50k I'll eat my bicycle tires for breakfast.

Anyway, we live in townhouses.

Who knows how many times he has remortgaged his townhouse to afford his vehicles.

I was going to question how he afforded all this until I got to the last point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been in some of these units. In a lot of ways the finishes are worse than my 60 year old apartment, the only better things are in-suite laundry and maybe "better" kitchen counters, that's it. People paying an extra $400 or so a month just for in-suite laundry to save them a few bucks a month.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah. Why is it that whenever hard economic discussion has a glimmering of getting going in here, a handful of regular suspects pop in and redirect it to some inane bullshit.

Should be 5 day probations if you threadshit about inane bullshit like trucks and poutine.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The market for 400sqft apartments in Victoria is only going up uP UP!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PT6A posted:

RSF: Election Erection

Ah thanks, I never look up at those forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm almost certain the same people are now demanding new "luxury" homes instead of just buying something half decent that's older and putting some work into it slowly.
The problem is that thanks to this decade-long bubble, there aren't any starter homes available anymore.

OK, there are starter homes available, but they cost about 2.5x what they really should.