Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Aside from class/item restrictions and certain quests, alignment doesn't matter that much, specially if you're heading to ToB. Dunno what caused this though, it's been quite a while since I've done that trial the legit way instead of exploiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

bike tory posted:

Alignment only affects your starting reputation, your bhaal powers and your class choices (or vice versa really)

In BG1, your current reputation affects which minor Bhaal powers you get, not your alignment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
One of things that's always puzzled me about alignment is that at character creation, there's a message that says "If you stray severely from your alignment during the course of the game, there will be consequences." (that might only be in BG1, though). However, I've never heard or seen anything about those supposed consequences.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dootman posted:

In BG1, your current reputation affects which minor Bhaal powers you get, not your alignment.

Huh I had no idea

Max Wilco posted:

One of things that's always puzzled me about alignment is that at character creation, there's a message that says "If you stray severely from your alignment during the course of the game, there will be consequences." (that might only be in BG1, though). However, I've never heard or seen anything about those supposed consequences.

Paladins and Rangers lose their powers and become fighters (but with the respective restrictions still) if they go below 4 reputation, but that's it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Suspicious posted:

poisoning the druid grove to stop the attacks on Trademeet (don't do this.)

But poison is natural so the druids shouldn't mind being killed this way :colbert:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Aren't high level druids straight up immune to poison. (i assume you are killing the trees ofc)

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm a big rp nerd, so I thought about continuing ToB with my newly chaotic evil F/M, but instead I said screw it and replayed the final chapter. I think I figured out why I turned.

On my first run through, I gave in (but not really) to the Slayer while talking to Wraith Sarevok. I told him I would change, but I didn't actually change during the fight so I'm guessing it was my dialogue response there that altered me.

Not a big deal though, because both the initial fight with Irenicus and the final fight with his Slayer form were much easier than I thought they would. I was expecting a Bloodborne type situation - the first time I fought Rom (tough boss), I killed him first try. No problem. Every single subsequent playthrough, he gives me an absolute hell of a time, requiring multiple attempts. But nope. Irenicus went down easily, and his final form went down just as easy. I even had to the final fight a third time because my game bugged. I knocked him out of his Slayer form, but the final cutscene didn't trigger. I was left just pounding his nearly dead body for about 2 minutes before I just said "gently caress it" and reloaded. The third time it was even easier because I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I'm really looking forward to going back through BG1 eventually knowing so much more about the game now than I did waaay back then.

So that's that! Time to head into ToB and conclude this epic adventure.

Edit: Oh yeah, ToB spoilers - Another side benefit of replaying the final chapter was I got another shot at recruiting Sarevok. I knew he was a potential party member due to spoilers from years of reading about this game, but I just found out it's possible to turn him Chaotic Good - but only if you don't require a vow. My first time, I did. I fixed that error my second time around.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is there any benefit of recruiting Sarevok over someone else I have in my party? The only person I think he might be a good replacement for is Jaheira, but then I'd lose her druid spells.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Max Wilco posted:

Is there any benefit of recruiting Sarevok over someone else I have in my party? The only person I think he might be a good replacement for is Jaheira, but then I'd lose her druid spells.

He can dual class into a mage so if you want him for that he's good, you will either need to use him in a small party or have prepared in advance by buying every single mage scroll you could get your hands on so that he can get his fighter skills back before a reasonable amount of TOB is finished.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Max Wilco posted:

He's cool.

Also sometime he hits for like 200 bonus damage which is hilarious. And you can give him his sword back if you've hung onto it since Irenicus' Dungeon.

Basicaly it's just fun to chill with your bro, though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

He owns, is about all

He is well written and has a 3% chance per hit to deal 200 damage, which with imp whirlwind on is once every 3 rounds or so. Give him the silver vorpal sword and he's a total beast

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Sarevok owns, though there were two huge missed opportunities in adding him to TOB. One, nothing happens if you hand him his sword that you kept since the Chateau; two, he never says "you must gather your party before venturing forth".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

cigaw posted:

Sarevok owns, though there were two huge missed opportunities in adding him to TOB. One, nothing happens if you hand him his sword that you kept since the Chateau; two, he never says "you must gather your party before venturing forth".

Oh, the sword thing must be from a restored content mod then. I recall him turning it +5 or something.

e: It's part of Ascension and it goes to +4

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 1, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm thinking of finally finishing Icewind Dale, but I'm not terribly familiar with the IE modding scene. Using the non-enhanced edition from GOG, what's the ideal way to get it setup? Should I even bother looking at GemRB? I tried setting it up with BG2 once and couldn't get it to work, but that's probably on me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Washout posted:

He can dual class into a mage so if you want him for that he's good, you will either need to use him in a small party or have prepared in advance by buying every single mage scroll you could get your hands on so that he can get his fighter skills back before a reasonable amount of TOB is finished.

Dual-classing is one of those things where I'm too nervous about screwing up a character and rendering them useless to try doing it.

As a Fighter, though, he sounds like he's super good. Again, though, I'm hesitant to switch him out with anyone. Keldorn's got the Inquisitor skills and perks, Aerie and Edwin already have access to a lot of spells, and Jan's the only thief. I thought Jaheira would be prime to switch out, but then I realize that both her and Aerie are the only ones who can cast cleric/druid spells, and even if I dual-classed Sarevok to a Mage, I don't think there are any arcane spells for healing (at least to my knowledge).

Is there anything I should know in particular when going through Throne of Bhaal?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

I'm thinking of finally finishing Icewind Dale, but I'm not terribly familiar with the IE modding scene. Using the non-enhanced edition from GOG, what's the ideal way to get it setup? Should I even bother looking at GemRB? I tried setting it up with BG2 once and couldn't get it to work, but that's probably on me.

Just the tweak pack and the resolution mod, there might be a cut content patch too. If I remember correctly you're supposed to do the resolution patch last and re run it if you decide to add another mod.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

Dual-classing is one of those things where I'm too nervous about screwing up a character and rendering them useless to try doing it.

As a Fighter, though, he sounds like he's super good. Again, though, I'm hesitant to switch him out with anyone. Keldorn's got the Inquisitor skills and perks, Aerie and Edwin already have access to a lot of spells, and Jan's the only thief. I thought Jaheira would be prime to switch out, but then I realize that both her and Aerie are the only ones who can cast cleric/druid spells, and even if I dual-classed Sarevok to a Mage, I don't think there are any arcane spells for healing (at least to my knowledge).

Is there anything I should know in particular when going through Throne of Bhaal?

I think you can also duel him to thief, but then you can't get greater whirlwind.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skwirl posted:

Just the tweak pack and the resolution mod, there might be a cut content patch too. If I remember correctly you're supposed to do the resolution patch last and re run it if you decide to add another mod.

Excellent, thanks.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I think you can also duel him to thief, but then you can't get greater whirlwind.

Well, I already made it through Saradush, so if I got him now, he'd probably be lagging behind a bit in regards to XP. Maybe I'll bring him along in a different play-through (assuming I ever play BG2 again).

On a non-IE subject, how did the Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition fair? I have the 'classic' version offered through GOG, but I was curious if the EE version did anything special or was worth checking out. I know the main NWN campaign isn't too interesting, but the expansions are supposed to be really good.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
How do people generally find the Ascension 'Tougher X' fights? I only got as far as the Gromnir fight on my last run and I'm considering starting a new game soon, and while I enjoy a challenge I'm really not a fan of fights that need lots of micro and optimisation to get through.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Zeerust posted:

How do people generally find the Ascension 'Tougher X' fights? I only got as far as the Gromnir fight on my last run and I'm considering starting a new game soon, and while I enjoy a challenge I'm really not a fan of fights that need lots of micro and optimisation to get through.

If you don't enjoy optimization, then don't install them, because some of them are a huge pain in the rear end to complete without huge amounts of optimization, meta-knowledge and cheese.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zeerust posted:

They're alright if you want a bit of variety on your 20th playthrough or whatever but they're pretty irritating in many ways. TOB bosses in general were a trainwreck so they aren't necessarily worse, and they are definitely harder. You need to know the spell systems well (basically all the bosses past Yagashura will have up immunity to divination and abjuration as well as imp invisibility and spell traps, so youve got to memorise the specific order of dispels and poo poo that you need in order to be able to damage them with anything). You're expected to be using every cheesy tactic at your disposal too so poo poo like having to prepare for each fight with spell sequencers and contingencies and poo poo is a must.

I honestly can't be hosed, I think I've only ever gone through ascension once or twice.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That sounds terrible. I just finished up Gromnir and am working my way through a bunch of fire giants. Dealing with enemy mages is already so fiddly.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The final battle is pretty cool (David Gaider's original idea) and definitely more interesting than fighting a few random demons, but yeah all the "Improved" fights mostly just create a lot of busy work. Interesting to work through at least once, though. Ascension without buffs to the Five is probably fine. Or pick and choose between them, from what I remember Balthazar was good and Illasera served to stop her being such a joke for a party that comes from BG2 (super tough if you're starting raw in ToB though). Improved Abazigal is a bit nuts. I don't really remember what changed with Yaga-Shura. And yeah Gromnir is tough too.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think improved Abazigal is a Kensai/Mage, the freaking try hard.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

I think improved Abazigal is a Kensai/Mage, the freaking try hard.

And he's got a dragon friend and a couple of drakes or some poo poo as well. It's quite literally a hot mess.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Improved Yaga-Shura's invulnerability disappears gradually instead of instantly all at once. It makes the fight take a lot longer, which can be problematic if you don't clear the camp before aggroing him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Improved Demogorgon is literally the same, but with even more absurd stats, regeneration and immunities. Just abuse the usual cheese, like traps and infinite summons, but harder. Honestly, don't bother.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Does Ascension actually work with EE now? I know it's available but I have heard mixed things about people actually being able to get through it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I tried it a year ago. It was a clusterfuck with numerous bugs that required patches etc ... and the final fight was totally borked. Not sure if it’s been fixed since then.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You could install it via Big World or something? Still as its own discrete thing, you just have to decline on installing everything else. I haven’t yet played through far enough to see whether it works.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Just wanted to pop in and mention that baldurs gate 2 is the best game ever made. What are some of your fave mods?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Imoen Romance

jk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saki posted:

Just wanted to pop in and mention that baldurs gate 2 is the best game ever made. What are some of your fave mods?

I don't use any that add content, but when I want to mix it up, spell revisions and/or item randomization

Geomantic Sorcerer if I want to be absurdly powerful.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Saki posted:

Enhanced edition vanilla all the way because I basically only play on tablet these days anyway

If I go for content mods I'm partial to the banter packs for BG1 and Unfinished Business. Other than that I often use SCS (for BG1 only)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Zeerust posted:

I don't think the Ascension fights require that much micro or charops - not as much as Tactics or even SCS. The main goal was to bring the Five up to base game Sendai's level, after all. You're pretty safe with Improved Illasera, Gromnir and Yaga-Shura, and even Abazigal's not that bad. The final fight is pretty messy but the opposition actively changes depending on difficulty level, for what that's worth.

The biggest challenge is just getting it to work in the first place though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cripes, the Fire Giants in Yaga-Shura's fort can just wreck you in an instant. Up until now, my Dwarven Defender PC can tank and destroy stuff with little issue, but they can beat him down like nothing. Am I too low-level at this point or do I need better gear? (I'm at Level 19)

Additionally, I finally got the first epic level ability for Edwin. I took Dark Planetar. Hopefully, that wasn't a mistake.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Saki posted:

Romantic Encounters. It's not really a game unless you can ask Firkraag to unsheath his sword and then gently caress a pirate King to get to Spellhold.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Additionally, I finally got the first epic level ability for Edwin. I took Dark Planetar. Hopefully, that wasn't a mistake.

Planetar is the best HLA in the game so yes that was the right choice. I think the normal planetar is slightly better but iirc evil characters don't get access to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

bike tory posted:

Planetar is the best HLA in the game so yes that was the right choice. I think the normal planetar is slightly better but iirc evil characters don't get access to it?

That's for sure. Since I made my last post, I made it through Yaga-Shura fort (which is still a huge pain), beat Yaga-Shura, and did the second challenge in the pocket dimension. In all of those cases, the Dark Planetar was immensely helpful. Best moment was during the Second Challenge in the pocket dimension, where I got hit with Level Drain, and the Dark Planetar cast Restoration. :)

I think I still have access to the Good Planetar via Aerie, thought I'll have to wait until the next mage level to do so. I don't think there's any difference between the light and dark versions, aside from the fact that one use Holy Word, and the other Unholy Word. I took the Light Deva summon for Jaheria (she had a choice between both versions), but it seems like the Deva is not as strong as the Planetar.