Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Inzombiac posted:

There is a condemned house that's been empty, save for squatters, for three years at the end of my road.

It's listed for over 400K.

God bless Portland.

Bargain!

My 30 sq m (320 sq ft) flat is valued at around $350k, bought it almost 7 years ago for around $230k. People tell me I've made a killing on the real estate market, I tell them "sure, if I sell it and live on the street".

Incidentally, just today UBS listed my little town as the third most overvalued in the world. Vancouver is still number one though.

:canada::hf::britain::hf::sweden:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My smallest apartment was 600 sq. feet. To live in half of that?
How?? HOW??

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

How?? HOW??

I think I would go insane.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hahaha when I lived in Korea, my apart-uh was probably around that size, maybe a little smaller. For one person it's perfectly fine. Just find excuses not to be at home, and not to be a loving goonlord computer addict.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Inzombiac posted:

How?? HOW??

Lol in my undergraduate days I lived for 4 months in a converted high-rise office building where my flat was 170 sq ft, 1/4 of which was taken up by a wheelchair accessible bathroom (I'm not disabled). I paid IIRC a bit over $800 a month for it. The same building also contained 260 sq ft "family flats" for $1500 a month.

Now I sleep in a mezzanine double bed that's built into the room, which allows me to have a full-sized desk, a full-sized sofa and a sitting area, where three of four people can sit on cushions/the carpet, and loads of books. It helps that the ceiling is over 11 ft high though. I can comfortably seat three in the kitchen, four is a squeeze though. I don't have a bathtub.

My town has the same geographical problem as Vancouver - what's historically and culturally defined as the "city" is surrounded on three sides by water, and one side by protected/royal parkland. Except unlike Vancouver people here seem to have a grudge against tall buildings - there are only 8 or 9 building with more than 10 floors, three of which are residential. Of course what saved us is that Chinese money isn't flooding in.

Shanghaied has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Sep 28, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Well to be fair Chinese money isn't flooding into Vancouver either.

Not anymore, that is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:psyduck: Okay. I don't go out much so the idea of spending nearly all my free time in a single tiny room would feel like prison.
However, my ideal place would be a huge loft/studio that I can section off with dividers like I'm playing a really expensive version of The Sims.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I live in a car like the guy in Blue Ruin.

Alright back to purchases

Gunpowder Green Tea

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I live in a 3000 sq ft house with my 2 cats.

It's about what it sounds like.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I live in a 3000 sq ft house with my 2 cats.

It's about what it sounds like.

Well that all depends on their/your level of frisk.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I HATE HATE HATE when people have decorative balls on a tray in their house or a jar full of Pier 1 bullshit.
So, when I recently had to buy a pack of 6 decorative wicker balls (even though I only need one for a costume) I don't know what to do with the others.

I also bought an armband for my Nexus 6P (a giant phone) because I can't have it in my pocket when I run. Now I don't have an excuse :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

:psyduck: Okay. I don't go out much so the idea of spending nearly all my free time in a single tiny room would feel like prison.

I live in a 300sq apartment with two cats AND I work from home. Surprisingly it's not that bad, it helps that it's not a studio. It has a tiny kitchen/living room and a bedroom with walls and everything.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Inzombiac posted:

I HATE HATE HATE when people have decorative balls on a tray in their house or a jar full of Pier 1 bullshit.
So, when I recently had to buy a pack of 6 decorative wicker balls (even though I only need one for a costume) I don't know what to do with the others.

I also bought an armband for my Nexus 6P (a giant phone) because I can't have it in my pocket when I run. Now I don't have an excuse :(

Hit them with a baseball bat and watch them explode

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
From ebay I bought a 14 year old Digital8 camcorder so I can convert someone else's home movies to mp4 files, then two pairs of velour headphone pads for my Sony MDR-V600's at home and work since the ones they come with are flaking and my wife keeps finding black crap all over my head.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hit them with a baseball bat and watch them explode

I thought that was the Note 7.

:v:

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

colas posted:

I live in a car like the guy in Blue Ruin.

Alright back to purchases

Gunpowder Green Tea

I've been curious about getting some of that. What's the point of rolling it into balls rather than just keeping it loose-leaf?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

How?? HOW??

How much is that in first-world units?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
266 sq. cubits.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The smallest apartment I've ever lived in was 880sqft and that ran me a whopping $550/mo. I've lived in bigger for less, in seedier parts of town

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jerry Cotton posted:

How much is that in first-world units?

14.4 Gorglums when you use the Klaxat conversion.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Oh man, have I got a dining room table centerpiece thats going to gently caress you up.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Spy_Guy posted:

I've been curious about getting some of that. What's the point of rolling it into balls rather than just keeping it loose-leaf?

Rolling renders the leaves less susceptible to physical damage and breakage and allows them to retain more of their flavor and aroma. In addition, it allows certain types of oolong teas to be aged for decades if they are cared for by being occasionally roasted.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Sometimes I get this stuff too. pu-erh tea. They form it into all kinds of shapes and stuff. Probably for similar reasons/transportation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

blarzgh posted:

Oh man, have I got a dining room table centerpiece thats going to gently caress you up.

I bet you also have a picture frame that says "Live. Laugh. Love." or some other useless platitude.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I bet you also have a picture frame that says "Live. Laugh. Love." or some other useless platitude.

I find laughing useful. :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

colas posted:

I find laughing useful. :colbert:

I find living more useful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to live in one of those shipping container apartments but they are probably cold as gently caress.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to live in one of those shipping container apartments but they are probably cold as gently caress.

That would be awesome and cave like.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

No, we have a fake painting of a boxer(dog) and a reproduction of an old map of Fort Worth, Texas from the 1890s.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

What do you have adorning your walls? Wrenches and tools for your steampunk hobby?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have Giger prints and naked women on my walls.

... in my garage, where my wife won't complain about them.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

blarzgh posted:

No, we have a fake painting of a boxer(dog) and a reproduction of an old map of Fort Worth, Texas from the 1890s.

Fart Worth

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Skrill.exe posted:

Fart Worth

Edit: Fight me, bitch

blarzgh has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Sep 28, 2016

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

colas posted:

Sometimes I get this stuff too. pu-erh tea. They form it into all kinds of shapes and stuff. Probably for similar reasons/transportation.

(re)Discovered a foil bag of Misty Peak pu'er in my cupboard and had a couple of pots of that this evening. Good stuff.

Anyway, bought a Logitech M220 Wireless Silent Ambidextrous mouse for my other half.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Oh my god. Gooby plz.

Edit: is that banana pudding too?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

blarzgh posted:

Is that a Terminator Genysis branded soda?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is that a Terminator Genysis branded soda?

Big Red (or some other red cream soda) is at like every BBQ joint, its not very good but like everything else from Texas, they think it is.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MA-Horus posted:

Well to be fair Chinese money isn't flooding into Vancouver either.

Not anymore, that is.

We'll see. I think they'll be back after the initial shock of the sudden foreigner tax wears off. It's still the only non-totalitarian city where you can only speak Mandarin and be fine (if not be a first class citizen who pisses all over the rights of non-Mandarin speakers).

I should have become a homemaker. :( Zowie Man

On topic, I bought a Breville kettle to match my toaster. Now my white oven, microwave and fridge look very dated... :(

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I will fight you for your meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Captain Duvel posted:

I will fight you for your meat

http://meatfight.com/

Fun fact, the pic I posted is a spread from Heim BBQ in Fort Worth, and they actually won Meat Fight Dallas 2016.

(And yes that's 'Nana pudding, and yes Big Red sucks)