Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Will staying on the current version disable achievments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Nope, they'll still work. You wouldn't be able to get any of the new achievements until you update but any of the old ones are fair game if you stay on 1.17.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010

Tendronai posted:

Nope, they'll still work. You wouldn't be able to get any of the new achievements until you update but any of the old ones are fair game if you stay on 1.17.

Cool, thanks!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Patch is out!

I haven't really been following the changes, what's a good nation to try out?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Prussia.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I want to try for the Norwegian Wood achievement because I hate myself. How does Norway gain independence?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Torgo2727 posted:

I want to try for the Norwegian Wood achievement because I hate myself. How does Norway gain independence?

Painfully

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Is there any way to prevent your coasts from being raided? Spending a quarter of the game with crippled provinces sounds really unpleasant.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Yashichi posted:

Is there any way to prevent your coasts from being raided? Spending a quarter of the game with crippled provinces sounds really unpleasant.

Send out ships to hunt for pirates, that will also stop the raiding.

Or kill the nations that raid you.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I'd love to kill them all but I don't think there's a way for me to conquer North Africa by December 1444

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yashichi posted:

I'd love to kill them all but I don't think there's a way for me to conquer North Africa by December 1444

Then clearly you are not being creative enough :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yashichi posted:

Sure there is, do it in CK2 and convert :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
whoa they really nuked Eastern European development

including the northern and eastern parts of the HRE/Germany and TO lands, so Brandenburg/Prussia games will be a bit more challenging start

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

whoa they really nuked Eastern European development

including the northern and eastern parts of the HRE/Germany and TO lands, so Brandenburg/Prussia games will be a bit more challenging start
Does Lithuania now have less development than France at start?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's a screenshot on the Paradox forums of a guy playing Korea accidentally sniping the Colonialism institution before Europe. Really excited to get home and fire this up, I've been waiting for weeks to start a new game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does Lithuania now have less development than France at start?

France: 358
Lithuania: 243
Castile: 243
Muscovy: 187
Poland: 181
TO: 97
Brandenburg: 57

If I get ambitious I'll roll back to the last patch and check out what they were before sometime today

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I'm very curious if they hit Muscovy on the development front, since they seemed to get buffs everywhere else.

Lithuania still seems really high though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ok these are the current starting developments with pre-patch (1.17) values in parentheses if changed

France: 358
Ottomans: 311 (293)
England: 293
Lithuania: 243 (273)
Castile: 243
Hungary: 195
Muscovy: 187 (211)
Poland: 181
Austria: 165
Novgorod: 120 (125)
Sweden: 111
TO: 97 (118)
Brandenburg: 57
LO: 56 (57)

Lithuania, Muscovy, and the TO are the most affected, Ottomans actually got a little bigger. Muscovy got buffed with the changes to PA but lost a little development, Prussia games will start with poorer provinces in the TO lands.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Didn't they nerf Lithuania's development in 1.17 as well? It must have been really ridiculous at one point.

I wonder where the Ottoman buff happened, too; whether that's the Greek provinces or what. If they touched those I'm curious if other parts of the world got affected too that they didn't mention before.

edit:

lol @ the AI ruler bit

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 11, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Can I mod all ai rulers to have that trait thanks

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My first ruler started with the sinner trait lowering tolerance of the true faith by 2, the court view is also insanely good! I unpaused and 2 months later he became a babbling buffoon.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 11, 2016

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
As a custom nation I just formed England and lost all English cores (which I already had cored under my previous country) which would require me to spend thousands of admin points to re-core. This was in my first month of playing as I was intending to do an "England with custom ideas" play-through.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there any showsopper bugs on this First Day?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Koramei posted:

Didn't they nerf Lithuania's development in 1.17 as well? It must have been really ridiculous at one point.

IIRC Lithuania used to have like 10 base tax less than France or something equally crazy, they got heavily nerfed and then nerfed again with the switch to Development.

I actually really feel like playing EU4 now but I haven't played properly for like 8 months and there's so much new poo poo to learn.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tried the new converter and it is pretty good! I still have a ton of useless forts but my economy and army are not automatically in the shitter from the start. Development is still kind of weak in some places but alot better for sure. I am a bit confused about the first institution after feudalism popping in China however.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

As a custom nation I just formed England and lost all English cores (which I already had cored under my previous country) which would require me to spend thousands of admin points to re-core. This was in my first month of playing as I was intending to do an "England with custom ideas" play-through.

Weird, sounds like one hell of a bug. I'm guessing they did this so you can't snipe the key provinces to form a form-able and then inherit a bunch of free cores from the destroyed husk. But losing all of your own cores sounds ludicrous. Save and reload? Do you have like 1000% OE?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Yeah, my income tanked and I had 300% OE. I only had territory in the England region so I just decided to hold off on the campaign until after they fixed the bug.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope that isn't intended, free cores are one of the cool things about forming Persia.

Obviously you're not supposed to lose cores on provinces you already have cored.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Hmmm, the Ottomans in my game seems to have willingly torn themselves apart.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Yeah, my income tanked and I had 300% OE. I only had territory in the England region so I just decided to hold off on the campaign until after they fixed the bug.

This might not get fixed anytime soon. It reminds me of the time when I went for Spain Is the Emperor and, while taking some French cores in a peace deal, was suddenly given all of a mostly-intact France. Like way, way more territory than would have been feasible, even at 100% warscore. And I don't mean a PU occurred, I mean that all of the blue territory suddenly turned yellow and belonged to me, Spain.

This sounds nice and recoverable but I had just launched a war with the Russians and wasn't able to release vassals or give away territory, so all of my lands flooded with millions of rebels and I was suddenly a tiny republic

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Is Mare Nostrum worth it for $7.50? It's the only major DLC I don't have.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Institutions, outside of the tooltip assistance what am I supposed to be doing to help this spread along. Also when does a nation "embrace" an institution? Every province, 51% etc....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Institutions, outside of the tooltip assistance what am I supposed to be doing to help this spread along. Also when does a nation "embrace" an institution? Every province, 51% etc....

Dev diaries said when it has spread to provinces totaling 10% of your development you can embrace it. Don't know if they changed that at all though, I haven't played with the patch yet.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bishop Rodan posted:

Is Mare Nostrum worth it for $7.50? It's the only major DLC I don't have.

Yes, worth it for Condottieri alone.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
As long you have 10% development embrace the institution you can embrace it as a whole nation for a fee in ducats depending on how much development hasn't adopted it.

If you want it literally for free then you have to wait for your entire nation to naturally embrace it.

E: fixed dumb autocorrect stuff.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 11, 2016

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The Printing Press institution started in one of my provinces, and the tool-tip said it would give me 100 of each monarch power plus 20 prestige, but I got none of that :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

This might not get fixed anytime soon. It reminds me of the time when I went for Spain Is the Emperor and, while taking some French cores in a peace deal, was suddenly given all of a mostly-intact France. Like way, way more territory than would have been feasible, even at 100% warscore. And I don't mean a PU occurred, I mean that all of the blue territory suddenly turned yellow and belonged to me, Spain.

This sounds nice and recoverable but I had just launched a war with the Russians and wasn't able to release vassals or give away territory, so all of my lands flooded with millions of rebels and I was suddenly a tiny republic

lol, you should have posted more about this. A return of the glorious EU3 turbo-annex.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is it possible to have fun in an England game without making colonization a major goal? I'd almost prefer to just not even colonize at all, but that might be tough.

I'm kind of tired of colonizing is all.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When I'm building a mercenary horde with the Macro Builder all my provinces are yellow and they all get built in one province. Why? I have a huge empire and the template is set to X provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is it possible to have fun in an England game without making colonization a major goal? I'd almost prefer to just not even colonize at all, but that might be tough.

I'm kind of tired of colonizing is all.

Definitely. Conquer France. It seems easier these days if you hit them at the start and keep hitting them.

• Locked thread