Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

Strip clubs in Ontario are basically owned by biker gangs too :ssh:

Different lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

This is what legal weed looks like hippies. Get used to it!

Seriously though, get used to it. I'm completely indifferent to legal marijuana but if you want legal protections then you also have legal responsibilities.
When people talk about legal weed they mean something more like buying alcohol from the LCBO and not the California route of finding a hippie doctor to write you a pot scrip for your stubbed toe.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The difference between strippers and weed is that strippers aren't about to be legalized

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Helsing posted:

I've been trying to tell you guys for a while now that legalized weed would be a lot more annoying and expensive.

If legal weed ends up being more expensive than black market stuff, won't that just further encourage black market trade?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

when i was an exchange student in germany my host mother told me i couldnt stand up to piss and i nearly laughed at how dumb the germans are in this respect

sitzen nicht spritzen or something dumb like that were on signs there lmao
As long as you're the one cleaning the bathroom you can do what you want.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drunk Canuck posted:

The difference between strippers and weed is that strippers aren't about to be legalized

Also, smoking them is strongly discouraged.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

JVNO posted:

If legal weed ends up being more expensive than black market stuff, won't that just further encourage black market trade?

I think there's a bit of wiggle room. I imagine a lot of people will be willing to pay a bit of a premium just to avoid dealing with black market dealers / keep things above board.

But I think it was Washington State that legalized and then taxed so heavily that the black market is still thriving.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:siren::siren::siren: Property tax, fare hikes, and road tolls officially proposed to fund Metro Vancouver transit expansion :siren::siren::siren:

quote:

One year after the failed regional public transit plebiscite, TransLink’s Mayors’ Council has announced its 10-year plan on how it will fund the municipal level share in expanding Metro Vancouver’s public transit system.

To raise the funds needed, there will be a nominal increase to property taxes region-wide, with increases averaging at $3.00 per household. It is expected that the property tax increase plan will raise $340 million over the next decade. This is a significant shift away from the Mayors’ Council’s longstanding position as it was previously resistant to the provincial government’s idea of increasing property taxes.

As well, there will be a one-time, 2% increase in transit fares in 2018. Revenue from the fare increase and revenue from the expanded transit service is expected to generate $550 million throughout the 10-year timeline.

The Mayors’ Council says it will move ahead with a plan to introduce region-wide road tolling to support road and bridge infrastructure improvement projects. It is expected that tolls will begin by 2021.

Other sources of revenue will come from a new regional development tax near transit stations to generate $15 million to $20 million annually, selling TransLink’s surplus properties for at least $100 million, and diverting $400 million of the region’s Gas Tax Fund over 10 years to transit investments.

For the underground extension of SkyTrain’s Millennium Line under Broadway to Arbutus Street and the new Surrey Light Rail Transit network, the municipal governments of Vancouver and Surrey will help offset costs by providing land for stations and associated railway infrastructure.

The total cost of the transit improvement plan is $7.5 billion, as previously proposed by the Mayors’ Council before the transit plebiscite. TransLink and municipal governments will provide $5 billion from their new revenue streams to cover the 17% share of one-time construction costs and 100% of annual operating costs.

The federal government has already promised that it will contribute 50% of the construction costs while the provincial government is being asked to contribute the remaining 33%.

:getin:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JVNO posted:

How often do you buy black market alcohol?

It's probably cheaper than your local liquor store, just so you know.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

JVNO posted:

It might, and some people will probably continue to purchase on the black market, but not everyone has access to a black market.

More importantly, there's now a political constituency who wants to corner a new and lucrative market and who is willing to toss money at elected officials to make this happen. There is a reason that I spend so much time in this thread ranting about the importance of organized interests and institutions. This is what drives a lot of lawmaking and economic policy: the jockeying and lobbying for influence between different groups.

The most we can hope for at this point is that the lobbying efforts of various different businesses or interest groups will cancel each other out to some extent and ensure that whatever laws go onto the books aren't too egregiously lovely. Ideally we're going to get the police less involved in marijuana issues, it would be unfortunate if the end result is actually that the police now have elected officials pressuring them to be more pro-active on prosecuting marijuana traffickers because suddenly there's a business group whose profits are being threatened by black or grey market activity.

Part of the problem right now is it's not actually clear what the real motivations behind legalization are. Some people think it's a way to increase tax revenue. Others (including the government behind the legalization efforts) argue that legalization will give the government more ability to control who accesses marijuana in the first place. My own opinion is that marijuana should stop being used as an excuse to inflate police powers or to create more layers of government bureaucracy. It will be especially lovely if the end result of this process is that yuppies now get to puff on legal dope in Rosedale or the Annex while the poors continue to be harassed by the state because they don't have the money or social resources to access through the newly legalized channels.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

vyelkin posted:

Personally? Never. I've consumed bootleg but never bought.

Black market booze isn't exactly rare in Newfoundland, between moonshine and bootleggers on the south coast importing from St .Pierre.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We saw the same thing play out with black market smokes. I've seen lots of people buying them: my morally flexible dad just wanted to save money, homeless people don't have the money to spend, and high schoolers pay a premium for whatever they can get. You can't buy what you can't find though, so when the government really started cracking down it was on you to seek out your own sources and that's not something everyone can be arsed to do.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I know quite a few people that make their own beer and wine. I can't say I know anyone with their own tobacco field though.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Yessssss!

Crazy it will take till 2021 to get the tolls in place though. Distance based pricing I can see being trickier with a lot more technical and political hurdles, but just getting bridge tolls in place on every bridge at the very least seems pretty straightforward. It's not exactly newfangled tech.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
They should raise property taxes more and hike fares less.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Agreed, but 2% won't hurt much. $2.15 for a typical trip is still 22% less than I used to pay before Compass cards.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I can get behind that far more than a sales tax increase. Also, holy poo poo, homeowners getting pissy about a $3.00 property tax increase on their $1.5 million dollar houses.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Agreed, though people could still grow it at home since unlike liquor it's a raw commodity. I'm interested to see how federal legislation works around this, and if any provision for "u-grow" places will be written in.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Cultural Imperial was in the news yesterday trying to obstruct a police investigation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a primate posted:

Agreed, though people could still grow it at home since unlike liquor it's a raw commodity. I'm interested to see how federal legislation works around this, and if any provision for "u-grow" places will be written in.

I would say it's probable that the legislation will allow for some kind of small-scale home growing, the same way you can legally brew small batches of your own beer. Either way, homebrew or homegrow is not putting money into the hands of criminal enterprises so that's a plus.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

I would say it's probable that the legislation will allow for some kind of small-scale home growing, the same way you can legally brew small batches of your own beer. Either way, homebrew or homegrow is not putting money into the hands of criminal enterprises so that's a plus.

Home brew is a pain in the rear end though and you don't get that much. Marijuana is pretty easy to grow. 1 good plant outside can make 500 grams in perfect conditions so let's say 300 grams because I'm a pothead, that's like 11 ounces at $200 an ounce for medium quality, $2,200 bucks worth of weed per plant right? A decent craft beer is $3 a can.

If I could plant a craft beer shrub in my front yard that would produce 733 tallboys worth of intoxicant over the summer, I'd plant the poo poo out of that.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

cowofwar posted:

As long as you're the one cleaning the bathroom you can do what you want.

we were, it was me and another guy in my program. the host family turned out to be real lovely they didnt work and got all their income from housing international students and ignoring them. some of the other people in my program got wicked host families though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

Home brew is a pain in the rear end though and you don't get that much. Marijuana is pretty easy to grow. 1 good plant outside can make 500 grams in perfect conditions so let's say 300 grams because I'm a pothead, that's like 11 ounces at $200 an ounce for medium quality, $2,200 bucks worth of weed per plant right? A decent craft beer is $3 a can.

If I could plant a craft beer shrub in my front yard that would produce 733 tallboys worth of intoxicant over the summer, I'd plant the poo poo out of that.

I've always wondered how you managed to lead a comfortable middle class life out in the boonies.

It never occurred to me you were a farmer.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ikantski posted:

Takes me $20-25 and a couple hours over three weeks to make a 17L batch or 34 bottles of homebrew. Saves me about $3 a bottle.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

I've always wondered how you managed to lead a comfortable middle class life out in the boonies.

no job shaming this is the canpoli hugbox

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you can afford a front lawn you can afford legal pot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Now here's a question, do you think the crown will persue charges against the retail employees of the raided dispensaries?

VICE mentions at least one employee being charged with trafficking in connection with the raids today.

jm20 posted:

no job shaming this is the canpoli hugbox

I have mad respect for farmers

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I technically am a farmer for some legal purposes but my cash crop is mainly just poorly documented code.

Now here's a question, do you think the crown will persue charges against the retail employees of the raided dispensaries?

With Bill Blair behind it? They're hosed. And any person stupid enough to take a front line job distributing illegal drugs (ooh but it's in a store) should probably be removed from society for everybody's safety.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/bill-blair-calls-out-weed-dispensaries-for-being-reckless

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

VICE mentions at least one employee being charged with trafficking in connection with the raids today.

Whoops misread employees as customers. Yeah they are boned and rightly so.

Also if you can manage to get a pot plant to maturity in your front lawn without anyone complaining about the stench or visiting it at three in the morning with clippers, you can probably afford to pay someone else to grow it for you.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 26, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wynne now says the leaked climate plan was not correct and Ontario will not phase out the use of natural gas to heat homes

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

Vancouver-based pot activist Jodie Emery, who is in Toronto to open two new pot shops this week, came to Eden to witness the raid. She shamed police there and said Justin Trudeau is doing more harm to the cannabis community than his tough-on-crime predecessor Stephen Harper.

This is the same Jodie Emery who stumped for the Liberals in the election, lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

With Bill Blair behind it? They're hosed. And any person stupid enough to take a front line job distributing illegal drugs (ooh but it's in a store) should probably be removed from society for everybody's safety.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/bill-blair-calls-out-weed-dispensaries-for-being-reckless

I'm inclined to agree, but I could easily believe a lot of them were just naïve 20-somethings who bought the "it's a grey area" bullshit, not realizing exactly how illegal trafficking remains.

THC posted:

This is the same Jodie Emery who stumped for the Liberals in the election, lol.

Funny that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Just to be sure I understand the context here, this was a remembrance ceremony on Irish land for the English soldiers who were killed during the uprising against the English occupation of Ireland? The uprising that led pretty much directly into the Irish war of independence? Because I can definitely see Irish nationalists having legitimate problems with that sort of thing. Doesn't make running in and yelling gibberish during someone else's solemn remembrance okay but I can definitely see the motivation.

Reports say he was yelling "This is an insult" and "It's a disgrace". Yes, just gibberish, what an rear end in a top hat! On an unrelated note, JT was only trying to help the Conservative whip get to his seat!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 26, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

So... would the OLP intentionally leak a draft climate plan, subsequently modify it according to public outcry, then claim that the leaked details were false? Or is that crazy conspiracy talk?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Shoot me for I no longer fear death.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Trees and Squids posted:

So... would the OLP intentionally leak a draft climate plan, subsequently modify it according to public outcry, then claim that the leaked details were false? Or is that crazy conspiracy talk?

Sounds about right. That's not unheard of in politics in general.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Shoot me for I no longer fear death.

Someone begins to understand.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

And since there's no way for unlicensed dispensaries to buy from licensed growers, there's a 100% chance every one of these places were sourcing their product from organized crime, which pending legalization or no, is still frowned upon.

This is possibly the stupidest thing ever posted in CanPol, so give yourself a pat on the back.

For those of you who aren't gibbering dipfuck and want the correct answer, the vast majority of cannabis sold in dispensaries is back door MMAR grown weed.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Helsing posted:

It might, and some people will probably continue to purchase on the black market, but not everyone has access to a black market.

More importantly, there's now a political constituency who wants to corner a new and lucrative market and who is willing to toss money at elected officials to make this happen. There is a reason that I spend so much time in this thread ranting about the importance of organized interests and institutions. This is what drives a lot of lawmaking and economic policy: the jockeying and lobbying for influence between different groups.

The most we can hope for at this point is that the lobbying efforts of various different businesses or interest groups will cancel each other out to some extent and ensure that whatever laws go onto the books aren't too egregiously lovely. Ideally we're going to get the police less involved in marijuana issues, it would be unfortunate if the end result is actually that the police now have elected officials pressuring them to be more pro-active on prosecuting marijuana traffickers because suddenly there's a business group whose profits are being threatened by black or grey market activity.

Part of the problem right now is it's not actually clear what the real motivations behind legalization are. Some people think it's a way to increase tax revenue. Others (including the government behind the legalization efforts) argue that legalization will give the government more ability to control who accesses marijuana in the first place. My own opinion is that marijuana should stop being used as an excuse to inflate police powers or to create more layers of government bureaucracy. It will be especially lovely if the end result of this process is that yuppies now get to puff on legal dope in Rosedale or the Annex while the poors continue to be harassed by the state because they don't have the money or social resources to access through the newly legalized channels.

PM me.

Edit to add content: what you are seeing in Toronto is just the latest shot in a long running war. The licenced producers are currently trying to bribe their way to victory, and evidently they've pushed the right combo of buttons to make Toronto make a huge mistake.

Seriously this is the Soap Raids all over again, this is going to cost millions of dollars and end up in the courts. And if you haven't been paying attention, the courts are sick of the government's poo poo, both generally and more specifically with regard to cannabis law. See also Allard decision.

This is just a naked power grab by a few monied interests with ties to the LPC, trying to grab control of a $6 billion industry and put tens or hundreds of thousands of people out of work in the process. I know ironic detachment is the favourite means of faking intelligence around here, and of course pot is for dirty hippies and not for polluting the purity of Mentats like you guys, but maybe just maybe y'all could muster some of the outrage you directed at Enbridge pocketing the energy regulations in this country and direct it towards one of the most naked economic power grabs we've had in this country since utility deregulation.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Franks Happy Place posted:

This is possibly the stupidest thing ever posted in CanPol, so give yourself a pat on the back.

Have you only been following the thread for an hour or something