Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

his steady diet of pizza, mcdonalds, spaghetti, and togos turkey sandwich with half meat double cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

They did a Volvo C-303 on RCR

It's a close fit for some extra flavor on the kind of person who has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLe7q-vqlE8

For anyone who skipped this because they're not car people: I'm not either but RCR are hilarious and present stuff in a way that's interesting but easy to digest. I especially love when they go to events just to do mst3k riffs on what they find there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GJGLy3EVE

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a very real possibility that fast food garbage was the majority of what they ate growing up. America doesn't have the best relationship with food; food deserts are depressingly common, school lunches loving suck, and if both parents are working two or three part time jobs each just to get by there's a very real possibility that every meal comes out of the freezer. This is especially a problem among poor families that for a variety of reasons just can't get easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables.

So if you grow up eating mostly McDonald's, pizza, and salty frozen dinners that's what you're probably going to prefer as an adult.
I don't think this makes people picky eaters necessarily. There was a thread with goons talking about what terrible bland food their parents served them and how they took it upon themselves to learn how to cook and a season properly as a result.

There's probably a lot of overlapping factors. People on the Autism spectrum can have issues with textures which can translate to picky eating. Suffering anxiety can make people balk at trying new experiences. And well meaning parents have a tendency to turn mealtime into a battleground with their kid; if your association with broccoli is having a parent screaming at you to eat it, then it isn't likely going to be something you crave on your own.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

For anyone who skipped this because they're not car people: I'm not either but RCR are hilarious and present stuff in a way that's interesting but easy to digest. I especially love when they go to events just to do mst3k riffs on what they find there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GJGLy3EVE

It's the only YouTube channel I follow lately and I am also not a car guy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Panfilo posted:

I don't think this makes people picky eaters necessarily. There was a thread with goons talking about what terrible bland food their parents served them and how they took it upon themselves to learn how to cook and a season properly as a result.

There's probably a lot of overlapping factors. People on the Autism spectrum can have issues with textures which can translate to picky eating. Suffering anxiety can make people balk at trying new experiences. And well meaning parents have a tendency to turn mealtime into a battleground with their kid; if your association with broccoli is having a parent screaming at you to eat it, then it isn't likely going to be something you crave on your own.

Is there a type of synethesia where certain food/flavor related words evoke taste or tactile responses? It seems like some people get a little perturbed at words like "creamy" or "crispy" or "non-gmo"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there a type of synethesia where certain food/flavor related words evoke taste or tactile responses? It seems like some people get a little perturbed at words like "creamy" or "crispy" or "non-gmo"

Moist.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Panties?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

gently caress you

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Morsel

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
:argh:

...nourish

scampi

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I poo poo you not, this is an actual product here in :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren:

It is disturbing being on the train and seeing advertisements for "Moist, Diane" shampoo. That's its official name. Moist comma Diane. Always reminds me of the grandmother in the Nutty Professor remake where she talks about the guy who used to make her moist.

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Nov 1, 2018

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

jowls

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Weatherman posted:

It is disturbing being on the train and seeing advertisements for "Moist, Diane" shampoo. That's it's official name. Moist comma Diane.

It's nice to see Special Agent Dale Cooper get into the health-and-beauty business

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

:argh:

...nourish

scampi

I’m very glad to not be the only person that hates the word “nourish”.

Forage also annoys me for some reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slurry.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Pulsating creamy moist pustules wrapped in a nourishing crispy morsel.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Telsa Cola posted:

Don't dox me, please.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

As you bite into the savory, crunchy exterior, you get a mouthful of the chewy center. As the juice runs down your chin, you realize that the filling has a bizarre, sour, fuzzy quality that you were not expecting. The true taste of what you have just bitten into hits you just as you look down at what is in your hands, and see the color of the substance seeping out of the bite you just took.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Telsa Cola posted:

You’re not even close to baseline.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m very glad to not be the only person that hates the word “nourish”.

It's usually easy to avoid as long as you don't look at shampoo bottles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panfilo posted:

A lot of this. Also can be a problem if you have genuinely allergies and sensitivities; there's a good chance once parents figure out whatever they CAN feed their kid, they'll just give up and stick to that, and you end up in a vicious cycle where attempts to introduce new foods are the aforementioned battlegrounds with half a dozen adults breathing down their neck yelling to JUST TRY IT and circumstances in which nothing is going to taste good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's usually easy to avoid as long as you don't look at shampoo bottles.

It's nice that the people saying it in the commercials are usually the demographic that is the bane of all retail workers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of this. Also can be a problem if you have genuinely allergies and sensitivities; there's a good chance once parents figure out whatever they CAN feed their kid, they'll just give up and stick to that, and you end up in a vicious cycle where attempts to introduce new foods are the aforementioned battlegrounds with half a dozen adults breathing down their neck yelling to JUST TRY IT and circumstances in which nothing is going to taste good.

Ugh...when somebody has a food allergy don't suggest they "just try it" or "oh it can't be that bad, it won't hurt you!"

I have to ask about ingredients and know what's all in things because some foods can literally loving kill me. I'm not going to "just try a bite" if it's completely unknown and nobody will tell me what's in it. Severe allergic reactions actually really, really suck and I'd rather not, thanks. Even mild reactions can ruin the entire rest of my day and let me tell you seafood shows up in places that you don't necessarily expect. I have to care about that because seafood wrecks my poo poo. I don't care how good you think it tastes I'm not eating that prawn under any circumstances.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Ugh...when somebody has a food allergy don't suggest they "just try it" or "oh it can't be that bad, it won't hurt you!"

I have to ask about ingredients and know what's all in things because some foods can literally loving kill me. I'm not going to "just try a bite" if it's completely unknown and nobody will tell me what's in it. Severe allergic reactions actually really, really suck and I'd rather not, thanks. Even mild reactions can ruin the entire rest of my day and let me tell you seafood shows up in places that you don't necessarily expect. I have to care about that because seafood wrecks my poo poo. I don't care how good you think it tastes I'm not eating that prawn under any circumstances.

Jeff Bridges had a deadly allergy to strawberries, but then he got into a plane crash, and it gave him a new clarity. He decided to “just try” some strawberries, and it turned out he had defeated his allergy, and it was an amazing experience for him.

Sometimes you have to just try things, even if you think they’ll kill you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And as this thread has some horror stories to attest, 'You don't eat what I eat?!' can lead people into literal violent rage.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

China thread ruined the words "peanut crumble" for me, I get an instant visceral response just thinking about it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

barbecue at the folks posted:

China thread ruined the words "peanut crumble" for me, I get an instant visceral response just thinking about it.
I'm not sure if "peanut crumble" is something that will kill someone with a peanut allergy, or something that will kill someone because of the crumble part. I stopped following the China thread because I did.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

I'm not sure if "peanut crumble" is something that will kill someone with a peanut allergy, or something that will kill someone because of the crumble part. I stopped following the China thread because I did.

such sensations to show you

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
It was peanut brittle not crumble wtf

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

It was peanut brittle not crumble wtf

Pfffft I knew I remembered it wrong.

Now I'm thinking about peanut brittle :cry:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And as this thread has some horror stories to attest, 'You don't eat what I eat?!' can lead people into literal violent rage.

Any specifics? I think I recall one where someone told their friend/partner they were allergic to something specific, and then that person fed it to them in a meal thinking they would be fine (oh your allergic reactions are just hysterics etc.) and it ended up with a hospital visit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Any specifics? I think I recall one where someone told their friend/partner they were allergic to something specific, and then that person fed it to them in a meal thinking they would be fine (oh your allergic reactions are just hysterics etc.) and it ended up with a hospital visit.

Food allergies are weird. You can in fact outgrow some of them while some of them can come and go. Usually people with "this will literally make me die" allergies don't mess around with them and avoid that food for basically ever.

Allergists can test them, though. In other cases it's not an allergy it's an intolerance; you don't have an allergic reaction exactly but your digestive tract just really, really loving hates something for whatever random reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pentyne posted:

I was thinking more the one where a vegetarian's boyfriend flew into a rage and forcibly sodomised her with a stick of celery or something.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was thinking more the one where a vegetarian's boyfriend flew into a rage and forcibly sodomised her with a stick of celery or something.

quote:

I [25 F] am growing tired of my[28 M] boyfriend of 4.5 years' picky eating.Relationships
Robert and I have been together for almost five years now, but have only lived together for about a year. Up until recently, we were long distance, and saw each other every weekend and on most holidays. We were lucky to be able to do that, and I knew going into this all that he's a picky eater. What I did not know was just how picky, because he downplayed it a lot, until we moved together.

We have an otherwise happy relationship, but I love to travel, as does he, and I am not a picky eater. I would like to be able to eat the local food wherever we are, but he throws a tantrum if he sees me eating something that he doesn't like, and he won't kiss me or be intimate with me for days after, even when I brush my teeth and do the entire oral care routine in front of him (which he demands). I feel like he's trying to use intimacy as a weapon to keep me from doing what he doesn't like, and that's irritating as well, and it honestly is a big bummer to not be able to try new things while we're travelling. For me, that's half the fun of being in a new place.

At home, it's more of the same. I can't bring home anything that he wouldn't eat, and if I do, I have to be prepared to be frozen out for however long because of my "betrayal" as he's called it.

Here is the list of things he doesn't like:
- All fruits, with the exception of bananas and grapes
- Cheese
- Milk, except for chocolate milk
- Water, unless it has an artificial extract in it or other sort of flavoring
- Vegetables, with the exception of avocado
- Nuts
- Legumes
- Soups
- Anything with a sauce
- Bread, except for cheap, white bread
- Frozen things
- Yogurt
- Tea, Coffee and hot drinks
- Alcohol, even when it's all cooked off (like, rum cake for example)
- Pasta
- Rice
- Real Chocolate
- Granola and most cereals
- Oats
- Grits
- Mustard
- Food that has any spices in it at all- not just "spicy" things
- Ketchup
- Mayonnaise
- Pork
- Chicken
- Seafood
- Eggs
- Pudding
- Gelatin
- Popcorn
- Crackers
- Anything that's touched another food type

There's more, but you get the idea

This leaves a lot of things totally off of the table, literally, and it's starting to really be a problem for me. I come home earlier than he does at night, so I've been buying just enough for what I need for dinner, cooking for myself, deodorizing and cleaning the kitchen and putting it all back so it doesn't look like I've done so, and then making a Robert approved dinner for "us" later, when he gets back, but I'm getting tired of doing that.
Everything, other than this is working for me, in our relationship, and I'm not really sure if this is enough to break up over, after being together so long. I've tried to come to a compromise with him before, but he dismissed everything and wouldn't budge, at all.

He knows that his behavior and attitude makes me upset, but all he can focus on is how much he doesn't like that I want to eat things he doesn't want to.
Those of you with picky partners, how do you deal with mealtime and travel?
tl;dr: Boyfriend hates a lot of food, insists that I restrict my diet to match his- I'm getting tired of sneaking around, not sure what I should do.
Edit: Since a lot of people keep asking, this is a list of what he does eat:
- Bananas
- Grapes
- Avocados
- Beef
- White Bread
- Butter
- Cheerios
- Chocolate Milk
- Instant Potatoes
- Flavored Water
Last night, for dinner, he had a bowl of instant potatoes, a steak, a glass of vanilla flavored water and a bowl of grapes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationsh...red_of_my_28_m/

quote:

First off, thank you to everyone who replied and gave advice and support, it was totally amazing and all of it was good to read and take into consideration. You guys helped a ton.

I wish I could say that this update was good news and that everything went smoothly. It didn't. Shortly after he woke up, I presented him with breakfast and said something along the lines of "When you have time today, and after you've woken up a bit, I'd like to talk to you about something." which was met well. Off I went to think about what I wanted to say. About an hour later, he said he was ready to talk, so we went into the living room and sat together. I stayed calm, and didn't make it a blaming and shaming situation, what I said was along the lines of "Robert, I love you, and I love what we've been building. I feel like we're at a point in our relationship where we're serious enough that I think we need to talk about nutrition. I know that you take a multivitamin, but I would like if you would go to a Doctor and make sure that you truly are getting all of the nutrients you need. I want you to be around for as long as you can be. I am also going to stop adhering to your diet, because it's not healthy for me. For my health, I need to keep vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes and grains in the house. I will pay for this myself, and you only need to chip in for your groceries- nothing's changing for you, but this is unhealthy for me, and I need you to understand that."

He actually let me finish what I needed to say, but he proceeded to pretty much have a meltdown. He was defensive, called me some unsavory names and told me that I have no right to bring vegetables into our living space without his consent. He said that I was basically raping him, and making him feel violated. He got physical with me. He threw me into a wall, punched me repeatedly, broke my rib and proceeded to sodomize me. Through everything, he was yelling and I was crying and paralyzed with fear. It was all a blur, but the next thing I knew was my neighbor coming into our living room and pulling him off of me while saying that the police were on their way. Robert took off. Neighbor helped me get my pants on and told me not to move too much. He stayed with me through everything and we gave information to the police- he even came with me on the ambulance to the hospital. At the hospital, a rape kit was done and my rib was dealt with.

The police were able to find Robert thanks to me being a weirdo who keeps hers and her SO's license plate numbers memorized and written in my phone just in case. Charges have been filed and I got a restraining order this week. I am safe now, and moved into my own place, closer to school and work and I have my own kitchen that I can keep whatever the gently caress I want in. I feel so much more free and overall, am happier. I don't know if Robert will ever get help for his eating problems, but I am glad to say that it's no longer my concern.

tl;dr: Said I wanted to keep veggies in the house, got rib broken; broken up, moved out and happy now.

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 10:13 on Nov 1, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Vegetables, not even once.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

to a (significantly) lesser extent there's also the story posted by a dude who's fiancee left him, at some wedding reception they were attending the fiancee had previously told the poster's mother she was allergic to almonds, then literally every single food item had almonds in it, and the dude just didn't defend her at all so she just upped and left him

what really gets me is that the catering included mashed potatoes that were literally made of almonds instead of potatoes
like... is that even a thing outside of raw spite? i've never loving heard of mashed almonds

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I miss Garbage day...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
loving hell.
Obligatory Blue Story joke.

But...loving hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hachi machi. I mean, it's obviously fake, but he's basically the literal grapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Well glad you quoted the story cause its deleted