Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

lmao @ the guy thinking Lynch is making bank from his productions.

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

I'm afraid it's actually Shelly and Audrey who wear similar types of dresses. You're right abut the speeches, though.

Looking at pics online, and I only half agree with this. Annie has a conservative black dress fully covering her shoulders. Shelly has a spaghetti strap party dress. Audrey looks like she has something kind of like Shelly but then her shoulders are fully covered by black sheer fabric, and her dress length looks noticeably longer than Shelly's but shorter than Annie's. So I dunno.

fwiw all the named characters, and only the named characters are wearing mostly black except for Nadine who's wearing blue. The extras had various whites and pastels.

Not really sure what to make of the Ben/Donna storyline, but it was pretty obvious that Audrey wore bright red when talking to Ben, and then Donna wore a dress later that had the bright red top part.

quote:

Listen, we all know Cooper worked some Sex Magick here, so she'd win. :v:

This makes a lot of sense lol.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tertius Oculum posted:

lmao @ the guy thinking Lynch is making bank from his productions.

I would think Showtime must have dangled a pretty big check to get him back for The Return. He clearly put his all into the project, but at the same time I don't get the idea that it was something he was just dying to do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Did anybody see Lynch's Netflix thing with the monkey?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Excellent, thanks!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I would think Showtime must have dangled a pretty big check to get him back for The Return. He clearly put his all into the project, but at the same time I don't get the idea that it was something he was just dying to do.

I believe initially Lynch and Frost decided they wanted to make a continuation without being approached by a network.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We were promised another series in 25 years :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We were promised another series in 25 years :colbert:

Lynch did initially say that he'd need at least four years to come up with a new Twin Peaks thing. It seems like he's distanced himself from that, though. In a Q&A in early 2018 he called the final episode "the ending".

And More fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 29, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Season 2 finale tonight! We're getting out of the slump and onto the good poo poo (this episode, FWWM, season 3). Aw yeah :c00lbert:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Season 2 finale tonight! We're getting out of the slump and onto the good poo poo (this episode, FWWM, season 3). Aw yeah :c00lbert:

:woop: Midnight ET yeah?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

:woop: Midnight ET yeah?
Yup! :)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E22 - Original run finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cNGvAjbEEc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's that sweet Directed by David Lynch credit!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loglady: It has been a pleasure speaking to you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"You and I have an appointment at the end of the world."

This writing kicks rear end

e: WHERE ARE MY DRAPE RUNNERS? WHERE ARE MY DRAPE RUNNERS?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 2, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Just let Ed and Norma be happy :qq:

e: I remember so little of this Horne/Hayward family drama. :psyduck:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 2, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So this is the last time Harry ever sees the good Coop, huh?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I completely forgot the Nadine storyline was resolved with the Fred Flintstone technique.

El Jeffe posted:

Just let Ed and Norma be happy :qq:

:smith::hf::(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ladies and gentlemen, the Black Lodge singer!

e: Oh hey, it's the Audrey bank plotline :lol:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 2, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

So this is the last time Harry ever sees the good Coop, huh?

drat, yeah it is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP Pete :smith:

e: Was that the Little Man using Sarah as a mouthpiece from the Black Lodge or Windom Earle?

e2: Oh nevermind, that was Bob. Wow Bob wow!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 2, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Just so deeply unsettling :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HOW'S ANNIE? HOW'S ANNIE? :unsmigghh:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I love that shot so much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that was good, the Black Lodge stuff remains just as unsettling as the first time I saw it. With the added context of The Return so much stuff really hits home even harder, but God I makes me wish all the harder that Michael Ontkean had been in it. Bad Cooper and Bob laughing together in their initial scene together is still a hell of a sight to see, and I love how a large part of Bob's disgust with Earle is over the fact he ASKED for Dale's soul instead of just taking it.

Also got to love that Thomas' entire evil post-death revenge plan was against a guy who he thought was dead at the time he apparently set it up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This episode makes all the bad stuff this season worth it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bobby and Shelly's storyline ending with them just happy and kissy and deeply in love was really wonderful. Also I loving LOVE that the very last shot of Leo is a cutaway to him shivering in terror in a deathtrap.

I had somehow completely convinced myself that Billy Zane's character died after leaving Twin Peaks and that Audrey going off the deep end over it was part of the reason she did the bank protest.... he really did just leave and never come back, huh? Also the fact she chained herself to the door but didn't actually block access in any way was hilarious, her shuffling the door open so customers could still come in was :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AND I’LL SEE YOU

AND YOU’LL SEE ME

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just love the little man greeting Coop, trying to do normal things like offer coffee and then showing off his magic.

I'd forgotten/never noticed Windom's face interspersed with Laura's screaming doppleganger. The whole black lodge thing is so spooky.

Regarding the Audrey plot and the idea that the black box and key represented some disturbing truth she's been suppressing. I had totally forgotten that almost the last thing she hears before the bomb explodes is the security guard taking a phone call "It's a Boy!" Probably just coincidence, but that kind of blew my mind. Maybe this is foreshadowing Richard, or could this mean Audrey's already pregnant can't avoid the secret anymore? And before you ask, I don't have any real theory on how the black lodge scenes fit in with this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's a similar box with a similar key in Mulholland Drive, which was originally about Audrey... :tinfoil:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

AND I’LL SEE YOU

AND YOU’LL SEE ME

Rageaholic posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Black Lodge singer!

e: Oh hey, it's the Audrey bank plotline :lol:

Man, it's probably my favourite song in the entire show. It's just so drat creepy. Lynch's lyrics feel like they have been completely stripped of any context. "I got idea, man." or "And I'll see you, and you'll see me." are just so bare bones, they evoke some sort of dread in me of the things that aren't being said. (The performance is, of course, also extremely haunting.)

The entire bank scene is a perfect example of how funny old men are in Lynch's work. The walk, the gestures, the fact that Audrey expects the poor guy to remember all the stuff she's told him… It's just hilarious. Coincidentally, I recently was pleased to see Hank Worden (who played the waiter) in the John Wayne True Grit as an undertaker. He was already pretty drat old back in 1969. It's a shame he passed away so shortly after the end of the show.

Jerusalem posted:

God that was good, the Black Lodge stuff remains just as unsettling as the first time I saw it. With the added context of The Return so much stuff really hits home even harder, but God I makes me wish all the harder that Michael Ontkean had been in it. Bad Cooper and Bob laughing together in their initial scene together is still a hell of a sight to see, and I love how a large part of Bob's disgust with Earle is over the fact he ASKED for Dale's soul instead of just taking it.

Also got to love that Thomas' entire evil post-death revenge plan was against a guy who he thought was dead at the time he apparently set it up.

Not sure I agree with this reading. Windom Earle just massively overestimated his own power in the lodge. Cooper feared him. He turns and runs, when he briefly sees Earle's face intercut with Laura's doppelgänger, and he's all too willing to give up his soul without a fight. Turns out, the real threat was not Earle, but the lodge spirits who actually have power in that place. All Earle had was a knife, and the psychological edge. I think he couldn't have taken Cooper's soul either way.

I do like that Cooper is literally going to his death. He notices, he's been stabbed, and he has to follow his own trail of blood to where it happened.

Rageaholic posted:

e: Was that the Little Man using Sarah as a mouthpiece from the Black Lodge or Windom Earle?

e2: Oh nevermind, that was Bob. Wow Bob wow!

Or was it Judy?

And More fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 2, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And More posted:

Not sure I agree with this reading.

It's not the way I'd interpreted it before this latest rewatch, but something about the way Bob says "he can't ask for your soul, I will TAKE his" just hit me this time around, like Bob was disgusted that Earle was trying to be clever/make it a negotiation while Bob himself just takes what he wants and enjoys/feasts on the fear that generates.

I was reminded of the warning from earlier in the season that you can't bring fear into the Black Lodge because that's what they want. Dale's fear for Annie (and his fear of the Doppelganger chasing him later) is what compromises him, but I think that his acceptance of the trade of his soul for Annie's release is too noble/brave for the things in the Black Lodge to accept/consume. Bob's reversal of the sacrifice and Dale's escape helps set the scene for Bad Cooper to step out into the real world with Bob along for the ride, but he also gets to feast on Earle's horror at having all his planning/bullshit mean nothing in the face of this simple and straightforward monster.

Man I am looking forward to Season 3 so much.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched the black lodge scenes again this morning.

The waiting room scenes are just so interesting. I think it's a pretty reasonable interpretation that we are seeing the lodge spirits replay the main plot of the series (S1 and up to Leland reveal?). "When you see me again it will not be me." This could be taken that the LMFAP is now going to act out parts from the series. It starts with almost the first scene of S1E1, with Cooper getting coffee in the breakfast room of the Great Northern. Audrey then comes up and asks Cooper to admire her ring. "Hallelujah"..."Hallelujah" maybe harkens to Jonny Horne yelling at the funeral (screaming "Amen" and then the priest saying "Amen"... to be honest I can't remember if some other character said "Hallelujah"). Then the whole show is just Cooper drinking coffee in scene after scene "Coffee...Coffee...Coffee...Coffee..." Then Wow Bob Wow and we blow up the mystery. I think you could watch this in a few ways, whether the lodge spirits are making fun of Cooper, showing him that he's now outside of TV land where you can watch video and freeze frame or slow mo on the show, or whether Lynch is somehow trolling the fans or network execs here.

I'm mulling over an interpretation of the remaining scenes. It kind of works if you think Windhom might be a manifestation of Cooper's guilt (not sure I'm ready to deep dive into what that is, whether it's the Caroline story or something more current). Cooper has been trying to put all of his bad impulses and guilt into the Windhom "doppleganger". Bob rejects this not because Windhom doesn't have the right, but because Cooper doesn't have the right. Bob is "the evil that men do", so it's naive of Cooper to to put another man's face on his own evil deeds rather than own up to them. Immediately after Windhom is dispatched, the Dopplecoop is summoned– this is the rightful opponent for Coop's spiritual confrontation and it's clear that in this encounter he was not prepared to face up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright folks, wanna watch Fire Walk With Me at 11EST tonight since it's longer?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Alright folks, wanna watch Fire Walk With Me at 11EST tonight since it's longer?

Fine by me!

For those without the DVD/Bluray, Amazon has it for $3 (or $4 for HD). Though it doesn't have the Missing Pieces as far as I can tell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hope y'all WASHED YOUR HANDS before starting this!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Hope y'all WASHED YOUR HANDS before starting this!

Best thing about the movie: the return of Ray Wise! :dance:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OR-E-GONE

e: So did Gordon like...summon Lil? She doesn't seem like a real person and she just happens to have all the answers to what the case will be like.

This is the bizzaro Twin Peaks though, so who the hell knows.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 9, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah I never got Lil. I know it's just absurdism but still wtf David. :psyduck:

E: Woodsman alert!

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Wanna hear about our specials? WE DON'T HAVE ANY."