Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bad Munki posted:

By “other slicers” do you mean Simplify3D or literally any other slicer on the market? 🤣

God that's a throwback.

I remember when they were still relevant/had the best support script around but drat, with Prusaslicer and Cura and others stepping up I think they still run on people that subscribe to Sunk Cost Fallacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Some Pinko Commie posted:

God that's a throwback.

I remember when they were still relevant/had the best support script around but drat, with Prusaslicer and Cura and others stepping up I think they still run on people that subscribe to Sunk Cost Fallacies.

CNCKitchen did a video about printing with offset layer heights recently and it turns out that’s something you can convince Simplify3d to do relatively easily unlike other slicers.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Warbird posted:

How quickly does new stuff typically propagate out to the other slicers?

It's utterly arbitrary, but the more popular/interesting a feature is, the higher the chance is that someone who contributes to your slicer of choice might push for it.
OrcaSlicer seems to be the current open source darling where a lot of people contribute to it directly, meaning anything that catches someone's eye has a larger chance of being ported, or implemented directly.

It took years for PrusaSlicer to implement tree/organic supports, after Cura had them, if I understand correctly.
In PS they rolled out the first beta of it end of jan 2023, but they originally debuted 5 years before in Cura. (2018. According to the github patch notes they went from experimental to 'normal' in 2020.)
(It's not like features are copy/paste between different programs, either. So it's a balance of 'how useful is it' vs how much work it is to implement. Features do flow from Slic3r->PS->BS->OS quickly though, because they're just forks of eachother.)

If you want a feature you're better off just trying the slicer that has it, than waiting for it to pop up in your slicer of choice, honestly.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think the new organic/tree supports are different from the ones Cura had for a really long time. Those ones didn’t have tapered branches, it was a weird snug shape around the model.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The whole tree support engine was rewritten fairly recently, and I believe that's when the Not Cura slicers started to pick it up. (e) - I may have my timeline wrong though, I'm tired and too lazy to go look it up.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, you're right, did some more digging, and the 'new and improved, more tree-y' tree supports for Cura first rolled out in Dec 2022, so it was just a bit over a month before it popped up in Prusaslicer, seems like.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Friend got the 3d printer, and we set it up. Working great except the fans are pretty loud, and i was wondering if anyone has used one of these fabric enclosures. Do they do much for lowering noise?

Ultimately I'd wanna get a nice wood cabinet for it, but for the short-term would it do anything?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Friend got the 3d printer, and we set it up. Working great except the fans are pretty loud, and i was wondering if anyone has used one of these fabric enclosures. Do they do much for lowering noise?

Ultimately I'd wanna get a nice wood cabinet for it, but for the short-term would it do anything?

I have one. They help a fair amount, but they also make it more challenging to print things that need to be cooled off right away, like PLA. So what you do is, you leave the front door unzipped and rolled back. This negates some of the noise abatement.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Don't run CNC machines anywhere quiet is necessary.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

e: got a coupla people, thanks much~

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 15, 2024

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
:justpost: the initial file and those of us that are bored will make some?

I may have time this weekend.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah I’m printing some dumb poo poo for a buddy but I’d give your thing a shot.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hey, gently caress, share the thing?

I want to try to print this thing. :bahgawd:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Hey, gently caress, share the thing?

I want to try to print this thing. :bahgawd:

Alternative: let's make up a new random thing and pretend that was it.

I suggest https://www.printables.com/model/767154-ghost-drinking-coffee-keychain

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

i also want to print the thing

i will print the coffee ghost in lieu

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

print all the things

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i demand you repost the thing

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I demand you print the post

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Son of Rodney posted:

I demand you print the post

ok

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

cruft posted:

Alternative: let's make up a new random thing and pretend that was it.

I suggest https://www.printables.com/model/767154-ghost-drinking-coffee-keychain

Shame on you for not suggesting this

https://www.printables.com/model/143766-dickbutt-with-cavity-for-led-light

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This took me a second to process and then I cackled out loud like a complete idiot. I needed that after the day I've had, thank you :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Anyone in chicagoland want my Monoprice Mini Delta? Before I scrap it for motors and throw out the rest?

I spent most of the last week trying to get those N13/T13/Alpha13 mini figures to print. And.. after a lot of work, I got them printing. And.. gave away most of them becuase the kiddos showed it to their friends at school.. "Hey I saw that on tiktok!?!?" I feel like a good parent for that. haha.

https://www.printables.com/model/593185-dummy-13-printable-jointed-figure-beta-files

They are incredibly satisfying once you have the print process sorted out. But these are about as precision as printer stuff gets.

This also lead to my little girl asking to print a thing. She picked a file, installed a slicer, and sent it to print... and it printed!

...... Finally, I decided it's time to upgrade my Legacy. And my V0. Nightwatch is printed out, as is the clockwork 2 for the Legacy. Hopefully I can find my heat set inserts!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this took me a second and now im dead

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nerobro posted:

Anyone in chicagoland want my Monoprice Mini Delta? Before I scrap it for motors and throw out the rest?

If it’s still going strong, I’ve got a friend who wants to get into 3D printing. If you’ve got any custom profiles or anything for it, I’ll happily take those too, just to minimize difficulty of entry.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Any reason my print would have a very prominent Z line on a place that is NOT the seam? I checked the print preview and there is no seam or movement change in either of these locations:

Printer is a Bambulabs X1C that exhibits no issues at all

All my googling is bringing up lots of "that's a seam, duh" posts :mad:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 17, 2024

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Deviant posted:

Any reason my print would have a very prominent Z line on a place that is NOT the seam? I checked the print preview and there is no seam or movement change in either of these locations:

Printer is a Bambulabs X1C that exhibits no issues at all

All my googling is bringing up lots of "that's a seam, duh" posts :mad:

That kinda looks like mis-tuned pressure advance, but I think the X1C handles that automatically (I don’t have one, just a P1S). Try re-running your filament calibration, or maybe do it manually if you already have?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It seems like it's something about the model in particular, because I rotated the part 90* and i still get a line in the exact same spot.

Gonna swap to the cool plate and do a flow dynamics calibration, I guess.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 17, 2024

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Can someone tell me why this happened?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

your first layer looks like dogshit so that thing probably came loose and got stuck to the nozzle, creating the blob you see as it shifted around

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Javid posted:

your first layer looks like dogshit so that thing probably came loose and got stuck to the nozzle, creating the blob you see as it shifted around

it was a brim that was added by the slicer software. How could I fix that? The same print failed almost immediately when I didn't have a brim added

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It having a brim is fine. The brim it has looks like your nozzle is too high or not extruding enough or ???

if your first layer sucks, the print can fail later due to adhesion loss, even if your settings above the 1st layer are good, which is how that one image with no context looks to me

you see the gaps? A brim is supposed to be solid.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Javid posted:

It having a brim is fine. The brim it has looks like your nozzle is too high or not extruding enough or ???

if your first layer sucks, the print can fail later due to adhesion loss, even if your settings above the 1st layer are good, which is how that one image with no context looks to me

That makes sense. I'll play around with the first layer settings further and see what happens.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Javid posted:

I had levelled the bed just before that print, and brims on other (successful) prints looked like that too.

You mention it not extruding enough, poking though the settings in PrusaSlicer, I found this

Would setting the Extrusion Multiplier a tiny bit higher help? More hot goop per goop!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, i improved the lines a bit but they're still there, so I think it's just this being a particularly thin print and the lines/walls interacting funny.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I had levelled the bed just before that print, and brims on other (successful) prints looked like that too.

You mention it not extruding enough, poking though the settings in PrusaSlicer, I found this

Would setting the Extrusion Multiplier a tiny bit higher help? More hot goop per goop!

given that you just found those settings, I will use my psychic powers to speculate that you have not done extrusion multiplier calibration for that roll of filament yet. https://help.prusa3d.com/article/extrusion-multiplier-calibration_2257

if you lack the tools or desire to follow that guide, bumping it up in couple-percent increments blindly is worth trying but may or may not work out, and if that isn't really your issue will just confuse things further

Do you have the kind of probe dingus that lets you see if your bed is perfectly flat? You might have a low spot that isn't level with the rest of the bed. Now that I look more closely at your failed slug, the rear brim looks spectacular relative to the front spaghetti, which would be consistent with a low spot under the head.

Is this your first try with the big complex articulated slug? Weird more challenging prints can magnify minor issues on a printer that has been printing simpler jobs fine for a while.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Deviant posted:

Well, i improved the lines a bit but they're still there, so I think it's just this being a particularly thin print and the lines/walls interacting funny.

I have gotten visual warts like that - never such a clean false seam as THAT, but similar - when arachne is baaaaarely hanging in there on a really thin wall. I fixed it by printing the thing bigger. Your thing looks like it has to be the same size as other things, so that probably isn't helpful, sorry.

e: your thing looks WAY too thick for that to be happening, anyway. :iiam:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Deviant posted:

If you watch it lay down that part can you see what it's doing? Or step through the slices in the slicer and see if it's turning there rather than just making a full sweep around the perimeter?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Javid posted:

your first layer looks like dogshit so that thing.......................

Am I picking up the right message here? This feels... unkind.

Right, you've got a lot going on here. First, wooooah brim. That's a lot. And brims aren't great for things that are supposed to be printed in place like that. In general, if you need a big brim, you're covering up a LOT of other problems.

What happened here, is your adhesion to the bed is bad, and the print broke loose, then followed the print head for a while. A common scenario, but not.. a few MM up.

For a brim to function it needs to be a solid sheet of plastic. (That model, should NOT be printed with a brim.) Your brim says you're either to far from the bed, or not extruding enough. Before I'd go chasing a perfect first layer, there's ~other stuff~ going on. Your layer consistency is.. bad. you shouldn't see the variances in layer width on the sides of the print like that. You've got a clogged nozzle, you are trying to print at far to low of a temperature, or you're just printing white filament.

The best thing to do, if you want help, is to tell us what printer you have. What temperature and what material you're printing with, and to print out a 3d benchy. It's an hour well spent.

Don't go messing with the extrusion multipler yet in prusaslicer. You're nowhere near trying to get that fine grained into what you're doing. Yet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

armorer posted:

If you watch it lay down that part can you see what it's doing? Or step through the slices in the slicer and see if it's turning there rather than just making a full sweep around the perimeter?

Looks fine to me.

Good point about Arachne though, I'm gonna try using that instead. (This was classic.)

Edit: GODDAMMIT IT IS THE MODEL

you can see the lines if you look *very* carefully in the slicer

well at least the mystery is solved

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If in doubt, double-check to confirm that the machine is not doing exactly what you instructed it to do.