Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
That sounds about what I'm looking for. Does the rattling make it seem fairly loose, or does it still have a pretty tight feel? Is that something I could fix if it started to bother me? I'm guessing I'll just have to test drive it to see what I think.

I know this is very subjective, but the regular break and fix cycle. Do you find it is spaced out enough that it is worth it for the joy of the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Noxious posted:

That sounds about what I'm looking for. Does the rattling make it seem fairly loose, or does it still have a pretty tight feel? Is that something I could fix if it started to bother me? I'm guessing I'll just have to test drive it to see what I think.

I know this is very subjective, but the regular break and fix cycle. Do you find it is spaced out enough that it is worth it for the joy of the car?

Yes, I drive the poo poo out of mine and it's always gotten me home. The rattling is more just "oh if I touch the sun roof just this way, this rattle goes away!", internal type squeaks and stuff. Providing the car has maintenance done, the car feels tight and responsive. It's even better when you start upgrading parts(e36 rack, bushings, springs/shocks, etc).

My particular 318 is set up to be a little softer, and then my 325is is set up for being aggressive. The different motors and slightly different weight distribution makes the cars feel quite different from one another, however. The 318 feels more nimble, but doesn't have the power.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

Yes, I drive the poo poo out of mine and it's always gotten me home. The rattling is more just "oh if I touch the sun roof just this way, this rattle goes away!", internal type squeaks and stuff. Providing the car has maintenance done, the car feels tight and responsive. It's even better when you start upgrading parts(e36 rack, bushings, springs/shocks, etc).

My particular 318 is set up to be a little softer, and then my 325is is set up for being aggressive. The different motors and slightly different weight distribution makes the cars feel quite different from one another, however. The 318 feels more nimble, but doesn't have the power.

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. It sounds like I should try and talk him down a little bit though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Noxious posted:

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. It sounds like I should try and talk him down a little bit though.

Always try to talk the seller down but 2k doesn't sound too out of line. At least go drive it and see what you think and keep in mind the engine likes to be reved to make power. If you drive it and like the chassis but aren't thrilled with the engine find a 325 to test drive the awesome M20 engine.

rscott - put up an add on craigslist, lots of Chump/lemons teams gutting the cars and looking to sell parts. Otherwise pull-a-part.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 7, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What's the going rate for E30 sport seats these days? Mine are broken and beaten to poo poo and down the road I'd like to replace them but I can't find poo poo on ebay and OEM parts make it look like $2k+ per seat. Pelican doesn't sell anything, is my best bet trolling BMW forum classifieds?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

What's the going rate for E30 sport seats these days? Mine are broken and beaten to poo poo and down the road I'd like to replace them but I can't find poo poo on ebay and OEM parts make it look like $2k+ per seat. Pelican doesn't sell anything, is my best bet trolling BMW forum classifieds?

Yes. I've seen cheap lovely ones go for $200 up to $500+ for nice black leather ones.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Noxious posted:

Hard to know what a good price is without knowing anything about it, but as Nitro said, it's not a terrible price. Post more info or pictures about the car if you can.

rscott - when are you just gonna bite the bullet and buy a nice 325i or is?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When I win the lottery, get a huge raise or inherit some money :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

If you don't care about colour, the tan seats are usually by far the cheapest. I've seen below 200 for decent ones, ie no tears but showing age/wear.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

r3vlimited.com or e30tech.com will generally have a set or two listed. I've bought and sold a few and have never had to travel more than a few hours. $250 for "ok" seems to be the number, up to $400 if all the mechanicals work and none of the covers are missing.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

Hard to know what a good price is without knowing anything about it, but as Nitro said, it's not a terrible price. Post more info or pictures about the car if you can.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?ownerId=68370457&searchRadius=0&listingId=351573970

Should have just put that in the first post. I have a compression testing kit. Would it be reasonable to take it with me and do it when I look at the car? I have only ever tested my civic so I'm not sure on the exact procedure for the e30 but it seems like it wouldn't take that long.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

If you don't care about colour, the tan seats are usually by far the cheapest. I've seen below 200 for decent ones, ie no tears but showing age/wear.

My interior is tan so I could care less about that.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Anyone here own an e46 or e9x wagon? I used to want an manual X3, but I don't think it would be of much use to me in the end, and I've started to think about getting a wagon instead. I realize the awd on the e46 series is fixed ratio, bummer. Also, any thoughts on the 5 series wagons?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Xi E46 really isn't that bad...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Noxious posted:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?ownerId=68370457&searchRadius=0&listingId=351573970

Should have just put that in the first post. I have a compression testing kit. Would it be reasonable to take it with me and do it when I look at the car? I have only ever tested my civic so I'm not sure on the exact procedure for the e30 but it seems like it wouldn't take that long.

I'd say it's worth the time to go look at it, assuming you're close. "Special" tires is vague as hell but falken tires are generally good, the chrome wheels could be sold or the original ones to recoup some cost, new suspension parts could be handy because with 205k it could use a refresh. The alarm is likely installed by an idiot and will give you trouble at some point, if you buy the car I would recommend removing it.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with a compression test the first time you go see the car. Just got drive it and see how you like it. Then if you like the car you could think about doing a compression test.

See if you can get some interior, engine and trunk shots if possible. The car is, and I'm assuming you are, in California so make sure the smog passed or whatever.

This is a good buyers guide I've referred a few people to - http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3636 (e30tech is also a great E30 forum)

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Lightbulb Out posted:

What?

It's a USDM '91 318i, it has an M42 which mean it has 16 valves and 140 horsepower. $2k might be a bit much for one, but it's right around normal for prices these days on relatively clean E30s.

A 318 is slow, but they are fun as hell to drive. You won't be able to add much power, but upgrading the suspension will give you great bang for the buck. Be prepared to replace the entire suspension + bushings, and at this point the M42 may be getting a bit tired. They have a timing chain, but I've heard of the guides breaking and causing issues.

Sorry I thought 92 was the first year of the M42 engine for some raisin. I've got a 92 318i, and yeah they're fun but slow, but OH MAN THE GAS MILEAGE IS GREAT, I don't think you can find a more fun car for this cheap that gets this good gas mileage, that's the real selling point on the 318i IMO.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The M42 is much better in an e30 due to lower weight. Of course the e30 doesn't have as good of a suspension or the modern aerodynamics that the e36 does.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't all the 91 318s equipped with the sports package standard?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
iS's had the sport package which gave you better seats and limited slip. I think you could option for LSD on sedans but no sport seats.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Jealous Cow posted:

Aren't all the 91 318s equipped with the sports package standard?

The coupes are maybe, but that's a sedan :/

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I love my '91 318i sedan, it's fun to drive and I can wring out decent mileage with it. It is not fast. I believe the E30 318s are also geared shorter than the E36 counterparts?

As far as sport package goes, the only thing you're really missing out on these days are the seats and LSD. Both of those items are easily remedied with money.

Here's a bonus shot of my '91 318i being autocrossed by the old lady.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

yea, a LSD is something I really miss on my '91 318i. Trying to get around downtown seattle in the wet and no LSD can lead to some interesting hill starts.

I was pleasantly surprised with the power when I got it actually. I was expecting it to be much more underpowered, but the m42 has decent low end. Its not fast by any means, but I am pretty sure it would out accelerate the 2000 outback that it shares a driveway with.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I would agree with that. The benefit of the 318 is that it feels fast because the gearing is short, so you're always wringing it out. It's a lot of fun.

The first thing I did when I got mine was to swap in an LSD and an E36 steering rack. Racks can be had for $75 and 4.10 small case LSDs for $300-400.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

yea, a LSD is something I really miss on my '91 318i. Trying to get around downtown seattle in the wet and no LSD can lead to some interesting hill starts.

I was pleasantly surprised with the power when I got it actually. I was expecting it to be much more underpowered, but the m42 has decent low end. Its not fast by any means, but I am pretty sure it would out accelerate the 2000 outback that it shares a driveway with.

I've got a spare 4.10 LSD and I live in the Seattle area. Just sayin.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I'm looking for an aftermarket stereo/speakers for my E36. Both the 2.5" and 1" in the doors are completely toast and I'm sure the 6x9+1" in the back deck should also be replaced, but I'm mainly concerned with the door speakers. I know there is the bavauto/bsw stuff, but I'm not looking to pay $600 bucks. Anybody have a more economical recommendation?

Also, the "mid-bass" in the kick panels is apparently a euphemism for "mid-muffled." Unimpressed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I found the E36 318 pretty fun. Its not setting speed records but its got that peppy slow is fast fun that a Miata does.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Damnit, don't tempt me. I am thinking a bout getting rid of my e30 anyways. Probably replacing the outback with a TDI Jetta sportswagen and selling the e30 to fund fixing my alltrac. I know if I start replacing the diff I will put new struts/springs in while I'm at it and start dumping money into the car.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

8ender posted:

I found the E36 318 pretty fun. Its not setting speed records but its got that peppy slow is fast fun that a Miata does.

I had one, they're not bad. I liked being able to floor it everywhere. Plus all I need is cold A/C and comfortable seats anyway.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

BraveUlysses posted:

Would a 4.10 LSD fit on a E36 318i or just an E30? Because I live in the Seattle area and I want a loving LSD for my 318i

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Thanks for all the advice. I had the seller on email but he has gone dark. I'm hoping to go see it in the next couple of days.

EDIT: Got him on the phone. Wish he spoke better english but I'm all set to look at it on Sunday. Fingers crossed it's in reasonable shape.

Noxious fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 9, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Only e30.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

Damnit, don't tempt me. I am thinking a bout getting rid of my e30 anyways. Probably replacing the outback with a TDI Jetta sportswagen and selling the e30 to fund fixing my alltrac. I know if I start replacing the diff I will put new struts/springs in while I'm at it and start dumping money into the car.

I picked up a JSW TDI a few months ago and I love it. I used to have an alltrac too, a 1990 in red.

yyyyyy posted:

Would a 4.10 LSD fit on a E36 318i or just an E30? Because I live in the Seattle area and I want a loving LSD for my 318i

If you had a TI, yes.

M3 LSD will drop in just fine though.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Anyone here own an e46 or e9x wagon? I used to want an manual X3, but I don't think it would be of much use to me in the end, and I've started to think about getting a wagon instead. I realize the awd on the e46 series is fixed ratio, bummer. Also, any thoughts on the 5 series wagons?

My brother in law had an E46 330d touring and replaced it with a pre-Efficient Dynamics E9-whatever-number-it-is 330i touring. I've had an e46 330i coupe and an E30 316i touring with an -is M42 swap. The E46 wagon lasted just under 200k before the turbo went (and it was chipped) and is probably still on the road, assuming no bits of turbo were floating around in the oil system when he sold it. Touring-specific issues? The demister contacts in the tailgate corroded and he had to do surgery on them. That's it really.

If you do some highway work, IMO a very well preserved M54 engined E46 touring (e: facelift car) is the best value for money. At least in the UK the actual E90s that were sold had no advantages in terms of features over the E46 and there are a lot of stories (some of which I've seen in that E9x touring, like the self-severing fuel filler) of failure points never seen in a 3 series before.

If you live somewhere like the rural UK, CA hill country or Appalachia with lots of very windy roads, the E30 is the best car. For my money, the Z axle on all the later cars has too much grip for road use and when it does let go is much more likely to end in tears/lawsuits/insurance companies. E30 is also the easiest to work on and won't depreciate. My cost of ownership was like $300 divided over 3 years. If it carried less than the E46/E90, you couldn't tell. I took an apartment's worth of stuff, snowboards and groceries down to the Alps in it.

N-series owners: if and when I get rid of my current car, I was thinking of an N-series engined touring or 1 series 5 door (E46s will probably be too old by then). However, I have read about things like injector failure, fires, timing chains slipping and smashing the valve train and ECU issues that BMW can't solve in the N43 (and poss. N42?). Are there serious issues with the newer I4s? If so that might explain the prices I'm seeing for 5 year old cars...

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Saga posted:

N-series owners: if and when I get rid of my current car, I was thinking of an N-series engined touring or 1 series 5 door (E46s will probably be too old by then). However, I have read about things like injector failure, fires, timing chains slipping and smashing the valve train and ECU issues that BMW can't solve in the N43 (and poss. N42?). Are there serious issues with the newer I4s? If so that might explain the prices I'm seeing for 5 year old cars...

I have an N42. The only issue I've had in the past 2 years I've had it is the oil level sensor and VCG being faulty when I bought it (like everyone else), and having 2 coil packs fail. All trivial to fix. Oh and it needed a new power steering hose and AC pump when I bought it, which is less trivial. I've never had any other issues personally.

But it does have stacks of space in the front to work on the engine which is nice.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4109441863.html

How terrible would this be as a DD?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The posting is already gone, what was it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
FFFUUUUUU...

It was a clean-as-poo poo 93 E34 525i Touring with the parts for a 5spd manual swap included for $3500.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Stopped by my local dealer today, and they had a 435i just off the truck. Good looking car, but they wanted $73k for it. :eyepop: :canada:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

FFFUUUUUU...

It was a clean-as-poo poo 93 E34 525i Touring with the parts for a 5spd manual swap included for $3500.

why the gently caress did you even ask, i would have been at his doorstep with a wad of cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

E: Disregard this.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 11, 2013