Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

That's a whole minute thirty seconds we could be running ads in.

It's also 30 seconds worth of show and plot you could put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but some of them are really loving good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I like theme songs, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also 30 seconds worth of show and plot you could put in.

Hm...........show and plot.......nah.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think the actual main function of theme songs was that pre-internet and pre-streaming shows needed to be way more ready for people to jump into shows totally blind on like episode 78 (and could never assume anyone watched all the episodes or watched them in order) and required that someone sing a recap telling the premise of the show and highlighting the main characters every single week.

Like the TMNT theme song rocks, but also it's a way to make sure you know the premise of the show and exactly who everyone is for a show that couldn't reliably introduce characters and concepts by having people just watch a story in order. Every show used to be so serialized and needed every episode super self contained, so recapping the premise of the show every single time made sense for a song.

Modern shows that have songs just have it for fun or to be a nice song. They know if someone misses something they can watch it streaming or just check a wiki or something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A good theme song can also act as a nice little teaser to get you ready for the show and remind you of everything. Even a frame of reference that can be used to set the tone of the show and change elements when something special is going on. Maybe just an excuse to have a music video.

I never understood why DVDs included the opening for every single episode, even when you were watching all of them in sequence. Netflix finally got things right by letting you skip the opening when you're binging.

Anime can go overboard by doing an elaborate opening, ending, and then a preview of the next episode. I remember Toonami leaving out the opening credits half the time though. It's all weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toonami runs the full opening the first time it runs, then it's a shortened version because

well

commercials!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

A good theme song can also act as a nice little teaser to get you ready for the show and remind you of everything. Even a frame of reference that can be used to set the tone of the show and change elements when something special is going on. Maybe just an excuse to have a music video.

I never understood why DVDs included the opening for every single episode, even when you were watching all of them in sequence. Netflix finally got things right by letting you skip the opening when you're binging.

Anime can go overboard by doing an elaborate opening, ending, and then a preview of the next episode. I remember Toonami leaving out the opening credits half the time though. It's all weird.

Gravity Falls is a good example of this.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

More than a few cartoons would be lesser without their theme songs.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Funky Valentine posted:

More than a few cartoons would be lesser without their theme songs.
And for others the theme song is all it has going for it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do many people watch many shows that really require reminders of basic premise information? It really feels like a bygone artifact from a way tv used to be. When every episode was fully self contained and might be able to assume you were watching an episode many seasons deep with no concept of what the show was.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not really a cartoon problem, but I dont care for Netflix binging and maybe even think its bad too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All of these clips of big huge dramatic musical numbers in Tangled finally convinced me to start watching it, but jeez does it take a while to get going. Also it's got a serious case of first world problems going on from trying to cast being a wealthy and powerful heiress as a challenge.

Cass already seems like bad news from her intense desire to keep secrets about everything and shut down communication, even without knowing that there's a twist coming.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

https://twitter.com/DevDev_Doodles/status/1229483623155425281

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was reminded of this phenomenal animatic today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4OVaQqfVU

These are always super impressive to me.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Is that Coach McGuirk?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Between the CN app and Disney Now, I've become convinced UI/UX designers just hate children. And everyone else.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Ariza posted:

Is that Coach McGuirk?

Yes

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Madurai posted:

Between the CN app and Disney Now, I've become convinced UI/UX designers just hate children. And everyone else.

God I hate the Disney Now app.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So caught part of some show called Ready Jet Go, and it is probably the most surreal thing I've seen in a while, it's like watching someone's bad acid dreams

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Episode 16 of Tangled: Plot sighted off the starboard bow! Also the first proper musical numbers.

I know that the fantasy of being a princess is a big part of media targeted at young girls, and a big part of Disney's branding, but I still have a weird antimonarchist gut reflex. It's easier to ignore when there's real plot happening though. The friendship between Rapunzel and Cassandra is weird, since there's such a power disparity from Cassandra being basically a servant half the time.

It's neat that the castle is on a logistically hard to access island, since that's pretty accurate to actual castles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something amusing about the Tangled cartoon is that every set of characters in some way acts as a foil to endgame Rapunzel and Cassandra

Red and Angry AKA Catalina and Kiera have the same relationship issues with Red secretly resenting Angry's ignorance of her feelings and lashing out with a supernatural power, but she dealt with her anger in a healthy way and now has complete control of her werewolf form and has agency in her relationship.

Cass and her father have a similar thing to Varian and his father, where the fathers are proud of their children but the children feel they have too much to prove to accept that. Both reacted badly when they felt marginalised by both parental figure and Rapunzel, but Varian dealt with his poo poo and has a decent relationship with both characters while Cass is doubling down and being an rear end to both because she still feels wronged by them, with the main difference being Varian's rash behaviour accidentally got his father in trouble and everything he did since was to save him while Cass never had to worry about accidentally doing something she didn't intend, everything she's done so far has been on purpose.

Even smaller characters like Uncle Monty. Both Monty and Cass hate Rapunzel for their own reasons, but Monty is professional enough to still be able to work with her and keep up a decent relationship when he needs her help.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Still workin' my way through, and while season 2 is a little thicker with plot and generally more interesting, there's still some filler to wade through. Don't really dig the tropical island full of german pygmies. No idea how the real target demographic would enjoy it. Kinda makes me wish for more British-style season lengths.

Also not a fan of old man garfield.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They do some interesting character work on the island so I didn't mind it so much. I also liked that each area took multiple episodes to deal with, it felt more like a journey than the usual series of random vignettes, like they didn't just solve the problems, they had to deal with the aftermaths too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Listened to the TTS songs again, and was reminded that Eden Espinosa (Cass's voice actor) was the original understudy for Elphaba and had multiple runs as the character.

Song is from Season 2, episode... 4 I think? Somewhere around there. I've been listening to it on the soundtrack so I know it's Season 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRFw9dZKgyw

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
She-Ra (the new one) has a really great theme tune and it's definitely part of why I like it so much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Finished season 2, and goddamn, it's hard to stop watching the show when it gets rolling like this. Crossing the Line is one goddamn amazing song, and ""For us, if we're over that's fine" is one goddamn great line. It fits with my misgivings about how how their "friendship" has had a massive power disparity, even if we've never seen Rapunzel purposefully use her power over Cassandra and the show never showed y'know, the fundamental class divide that monarchy relies on. It's great that they used actors who just can really sing, and I wonder if it was particularly expensive. God knows that Disney has the money to sink into projects. This really is the best musical I've heard in a long time; it's not caught up in the sheer novelty of it all, it's not embarrassed about having to work in song and dance numbers as an aside, all the songs really work. Even Wither and Decay has a good sound to it. All the words fit their tunes so well, and the instrumentation fits so well without overpowering the vocals.

Not exactly happy that Eugene is a prince, but I guess neither is he, and there's not really much else a missing parent reveal could've gone in this setting. What I'm more disappointed by is how as the story grows more serious, Eugene's dropping a lot of the huckster-patter that I really like about his character.

Bruce Campbell was great and I want him to come back. Needs a little more chin though.

And all of that was just on the top of the season opener. After a 10 minute climax, there was a whole episode's worth of content to go, and redeeming Varian was a nice test run for what I assume will happen with Cassandra. I never liked his villain turn much anyways. OBVIOUSLY that note had more written on it, but I guess most of it is probably no longer relevant. That or the dad who kept too many secrets is still keeping secrets now that his life is no longer in peril. It felt like most of the episode was falling action after the climax, which actually felt alright, and the song at the end lacked the amazing sharp piercing quality of the one at the top, but the way it mixed so many rhyming couplets at once instead of just hammering the same one again and again seemed to demonstrate the philosophical difference between the two.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like the character of Eugene's father, he's pretty fun. I particularly like after years of slavishly following his destiny, when the fight against Eugene's ancestors happens, he just admits "God, our family is awful!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really like these reviews. Also, you still have the best song in front of you.
I love this series and I am sad that it is over next week. I hope they stick the landing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, the finale is apparently a three-parter so at least it probably won't feel rushed. :P

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Netflix is doing a Transformers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDB6skUqYw

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Owl House is still fun, even though its a a bit light on the plot.

Follow your dreams Tom!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

doom upside-down is woop.

Some of these episodes where not much is happening are alright, but they do wind up giving me the space to wonder weird things about the setting, like how Corona is weirdly secular compared to the actual medieval era. A monarch shouldn't be able to just international-waters his way around marriage.

You'd think that Varian's dad would have...something to say now. Maybe say hi to his former liege? And the bird is still around, Is he still spying for King Bruce Campbell Edmund? Did Edmund go back to the Dark Kingdom?

And the asides with Cassandra kinda make it seem confusing what exactly she wanted out of this whole betrayal thing? I get wanting to get away from Rapunzel after the whole reveal thing, but trudging around the forest with nobody but a ghost to keep her company doesn't seem like a goal worth possibly dooming the world for. I guess the power to control spikes seems like it might be handy but to contrast it with Rapunzel,
for the bulk of the show, Rapunzel's main superpower is having constant access to unbreakable rope. Along with the privilege of being born royalty I guess.

Also for some reason I keep conflating Cassandra and Morgan LeFlay from Tales of Monkey Island when she's been offscreen for a while. I guess it's

Y'know, first impression, I don't really dig it. Seems like they're really sticking with toy-accuracy at the expense of more emotive stylization.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 23, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Latest episode of Owl House was good fun, but left me a bit mixed on the whole Amity/Willow thing and how the mean girl posse fits into it all. Ditto for the magic power reveal thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Latest episode of Owl House was good fun, but left me a bit mixed on the whole Amity/Willow thing and how the mean girl posse fits into it all. Ditto for the magic power reveal thing.

The mean girl posse seems like hangers on to Amity. I wanna say that the magical power thing can probably be attributed to Willow and not Luz, but who knows?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Amity's already itching to do a heel/face turn, which will leave us a little light on antagonists until they get around to finishing all the sturm und drang around the Emperor's Coven.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

edit: poo poo wrong thread

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if it's not even a thing of magical power, but just the power of friendship enabling the little group to work in tandem while the meangirl squad couldn't coordinate.

Also if Eda's that much on the edge of falling to the curse, it's not that manageable of a condition after all.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

The mean girl posse seems like hangers on to Amity. I wanna say that the magical power thing can probably be attributed to Willow and not Luz, but who knows?

The mean girl posse being hanged ons thing just bugs me since it's such a trite cliche at this point. Willow and Amity also being former friends feels...not forced, but kind of tacked on a bit.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if it's not even a thing of magical power, but just the power of friendship enabling the little group to work in tandem while the meangirl squad couldn't coordinate.

Also if Eda's that much on the edge of falling to the curse, it's not that manageable of a condition after all.

That would actually be more interesting. Like it worked not because of power, but synchronized coordination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Madurai posted:

Amity's already itching to do a heel/face turn, which will leave us a little light on antagonists until they get around to finishing all the sturm und drang around the Emperor's Coven.

It's even Mae Whitman and I doubt they'd cast someone so famous to be in it so...little? Especially considering the others aren't in many things.

And yea I'm enjoying it but at the same time it's a bit flat.