Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I don't think Tender Child Loins (God forbid you ever forget to capitalize that one in conversation) was expressing disappointment over some perceived idea that Renard regretted missing the opportunity to possess Annie. I think he's bummed that Renard's regret over the attempt in principle confirms he was, indeed, gunning for Annie during that scuttle. There's been a semi-popular theory floating around that Renard intentionally misdirected his intentions in a gambit to disappear into the doll outside Annie's and Eglamore's notice, to lay in waiting for a better opportunity to come along. It assumes he had no genuine drive to possess Annie directly, and his misfire was in fact not recognizing that possessing her, well, possession would lock him into her control, as opposed to bad body jumping aim. The crueler middle ground being he was goading Eglamore into action by 'targeting' Annie, so he might then possess Eglamore, which obviously went to pot in the execution. However you slice it, both those ideas are likely done now that we've got an answer to the lingering mystery of Renard's intentions. Of course, there's nothing saying either of those couldn't have still been his original intention, and his regret is not pulling whichever off.

Also, I don't think Hetty's assuming his regret is over the failure to possess Annie either. I think she knows full well he regrets targeting Annie in any respect, considering they just had a lengthy (and presumably oft repeated) conversation on his guilt over the death of the one man he did possess. I think she's just lamenting the relative powerless his misgivings have left him in, where she would obviously, and proudly, have had no such hesitations. That doesn't preclude the possibility that she's mistaken, though. We just need to shift that misunderstanding to the more optimistic possibility that his regret is in fact over screwing the pooch on the two bids fans hypothesized.

I'd like to keep playing the pedantic optimist by suggesting Hetty's not so much deliriously evil, but rather Adam might be any combination of a) colossal rear end in a top hat, b) controlling Court figurehead, c) precursor to Hetty's entrapment in a toy, not necessarily in as much a 'making her own bed' way as Renard's entrapment is to him. Someone asked if Tom had confirmed what the alchemical symbol on Renard's head meant. I thought it was implied in-comic that it was simply symbolic of Annie's ownership, which would make Hetty's symbolic of Adam's ownership. As far as that contradicting the ostensibly hidden implication in Tom's comment, well, it's a quip. Sometimes a quip is just a quip, yo.

That's all really boring though so instead Hetty's just Charlie.

Violen fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I just got my copy of Annie in the Forest, and I have just two things to say about it:

1.) The art is absolutely wonderful. Seriously. The line work is fantastic. I'm glad the pages are so large so you can soak in all the detail.
2.) It's short! My appetite for more is strong. Waiting for part two is gonna be tough.
3. I lied!) Only one part in and it still played with my emotions. There is so much room for story here that I both fear and crave what happens next.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Violen posted:

There's been a semi-popular theory floating around that Renard intentionally misdirected his intentions in a gambit to disappear into the doll outside Annie's and Eglamore's notice, to lay in waiting for a better opportunity to come along. It assumes he had no genuine drive to possess Annie directly, and his misfire was in fact not recognizing that possessing her, well, possession would lock him into her control, as opposed to bad body jumping aim. The crueler middle ground being he was goading Eglamore into action by 'targeting' Annie, so he might then possess Eglamore, which obviously went to pot in the execution. However you slice it, both those ideas are likely done now that we've got an answer to the lingering mystery of Renard's intentions. Of course, there's nothing saying either of those couldn't have still been his original intention, and his regret is not pulling whichever off.

The only problem with him intentionally trying to go straight for Annie is that this means he intentionally planned to kill her, which really doesn't make much sense. He recognized her as Surma's daughter at their first meeting. You would think that would count for something with him, even if he had no other reason to spare her life. It still feels like there's some missing factor here. Maybe something about the way his body snatching powers would work with someone with a fire elemental soul, who knows? I just don't feel like that mystery of what he intended here is quite wrapped up yet.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

BobTheJanitor posted:

The only problem with him intentionally trying to go straight for Annie is that this means he intentionally planned to kill her, which really doesn't make much sense. He recognized her as Surma's daughter at their first meeting. You would think that would count for something with him, even if he had no other reason to spare her life. It still feels like there's some missing factor here. Maybe something about the way his body snatching powers would work with someone with a fire elemental soul, who knows? I just don't feel like that mystery of what he intended here is quite wrapped up yet.
He had been trapped for a long time, right? It could have been desperation.

Although, was there a reason he couldn't have done it to Annie when they first met (or any other student for that matter)?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Eglamore was watching them that first time, he probably would have intervened.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Haledjian posted:

He had been trapped for a long time, right? It could have been desperation.

I think that's it. Renard has been in prison for years and this once in a lifetime chance at freedom just shows up out of the blue. To justify his action and ease his conscience, Renard could have seen Annie not as Surma's daughter but as Surma's killer.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Love makes you act in strange ways.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Love makes you act in strange ways.

That page may actually be my favorite page in all of Gunnerkrigg.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Dunno, the page where Annie tells Kat the psychopomps made her guide her mother is also a strong contender, if only for the huge gutpunch. :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

DontMockMySmock posted:

That's because you have exceedingly good taste.

I think the newest page really does settle it. He went for Annie, couldn't get her, then went for her toy. Love can make you act in strange ways, but so can being imprisoned for years with a bolt through your leg.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

One of the most emotional pages for me was when Annie finally opens up and tells Kat, in tears, that she misses her mum. She's only a child after all behind her cold personality. It was so :smith: and :unsmith: . A well-done scene.

Then again we all know which is the best page in Gunnerkrigg Court.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Blackheart posted:

Then again we all know which is the best page in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Tom even told us so! I don't know why we're even arguing about this fact!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Tom even told us so! I don't know why we're even arguing about this fact!

:colbert:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
*Ahem*

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not the best page, but definitely the best panel (number three)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spoilers for newbies checking this thread.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

No no no, the best panel is clearly panel six of this page.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If we're posting our favorite pages, this has been mine since I first saw it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Word of Tom has already established the official best panel. :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

No no no, the best panel is clearly panel six of this page.

Oh gently caress yes, that one is golden as well!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Trying to find the page where Annie straight up asks Renard if Jones is a robot, I came upon this gem I had forgotten about : The best page?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Heathens. All of you.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=30
Panel 4.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dodgeball posted:

Heathens. All of you.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=30
Panel 4.

Ah, dangit. I was sure that was going to be the panel of Annie explaining how she was going to construct a robot to convey Shadow2 across the bridge before I clicked.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The fact that all of you aren't posting this page is a crime. A crime.
Though clicking here would take you to an acceptable second option.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

GodFish posted:

The fact that all of you aren't posting this page is a crime. A crime.
Though clicking here would take you to an acceptable second option.

That first one leads eventually to the scene later where Tom comments "Thank you Vegeta" which had me rolling when I first read it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I debated putting that page instead, but I decided the first page worked better without Tom's comment.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
I'm going to break the trend by pos...er. gently caress it. This one isn't a favorite, it just reminded me of something important:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=792

I totally forgot how clearly Coyote's motive is spelled out here. Coyote toys with Ysengrin, but I think he actually wanted to replace Reynard one piece at a time until they were the same person. That's why he gave Reynard his possession ability with the drawback that it kills- he wanted Reynard to get used to thinking about people the way he does- as fun, interesting, disposable toys. His plan was basically to eat Reynard from the metaphysical inside-out and burst out of his skin :ohdear: Oh, and all to get around the wording of his promise, because he is incapable of telling an actual lie, he can only twist meanings. Coyote is not nice. At all.

Edit: Yeah, I know, he might have just gave him the power to gently caress with the Court on his behalf. Or maybe he even wanted to make him an equal so he can... gently caress with the Court. But this is a guy who has been eating Ysengrin one memory at a time. I can't help but assume that his intentions towards Reynard weren't any more charitable.

Edit: I wonder what limits there on who Reynard can posses other than "needs eyes."

Katja's etheric computer and/or a simple symbol seem to be enough to keep him out.

I imagine Coyote would have no trouble; he isn't stupid enough to give Reynard a "kill Coyote" button unless that triggers the culmination of the plan set out in my theory above.

Coyote's name for Jones conspicuous mention of the word "eye," but there are a few reasons he might not be able to take her body.

I also wonder about the Tick-Tock Birds. Gamma refers to them as "the Thousand Eyes," which sounds as if they are a single being. If he possessed one, would he get the whole of whatever they are.

I doubt Ysengrin could stop him, with so little of his mind left.

Hetty seems to think Reynard would be able to use Annie's fire elemental side, but it seems to be her "soul" for lack of a better word, and we know she dies if she loses it and that it is connected to her will. Possessing her might have killed them both instantly.

Zimmy does not seem possessable. I don't think anyone's sanity would survive an attempt regardless.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 2, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

All those posted pages and panels are nice, but I'm also partial to the last two panels on this page.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm concerend about Tom's spelling, however. :v:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm concerend about Tom's spelling, however. :v:

That's just Renard's accent.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Hodgepodge posted:

Zimmy does not seem possessable. I don't think anyone's sanity would survive an attempt regardless.

Contexts like this and what happened to Jack upon just a small taste of exposure to Zimmy's reality drive home that she's probably the most resilient, strong-willed character in the story, even given the respite Gamma provides. It's a wonder she's not nonfunctionally insane.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is my favourite page.

I've always liked boxbot :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

This is my favourite page.

I've always liked boxbot :colbert:

The page after that is pretty great, and a couple pages past leads to this page which is full of lovely panels. It's pretty great that Gunnerkrigg has so many amazing pages for all sorts of different reasons.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
We really should have like an unwritten rule about mass posting links to Gunnerkrigg pages. I havehad things to do! But no, everyone had to post their favorite pages, and I end up rereading chapters, as you do.

Randomly, I'm not sure when this started to happen but I've been reading Renard's lines in my head with a deep, reverent voice (sorta sounds like Keith David, but it isn't and I can't place if it's actually a real person or not) whereas initially it was more befitting of a trickster that looked like a stuffed toy. Actually it's probably how I imagined him sounding when he first showed up in Sivo's body now that I think about it. Coyote is still a mix up of Tim Curry and Mark Hamill's Joker for me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Coyote still sounds like Him from The Powerpuff Girls in my mind.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Boxbot discussion followed by "drat links, I reread the whole archives" discussion followed by Coyote's voice discussion. A microcosm of the Gunnerkrigg thread!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

We can still have some Joneschat or Anthonychat, right?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I think I can do a pretty darn good Coyote voice. I should record myself reading some lines some time. :v:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

cptn_dr posted:

Coyote still sounds like Him from The Powerpuff Girls in my mind.

I hear him as Tim Curry as his normal speaking voice that rises to Him's creepy falsetto when he gets excited or starts manipulating the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Potsticker posted:

The page after that is pretty great, and a couple pages past leads to this page which is full of lovely panels. It's pretty great that Gunnerkrigg has so many amazing pages for all sorts of different reasons.

I love Gunnerkrigg robots. They're so adorably naive.